vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

Re:?? for those who've played both versions of MCF

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 11, 09 10:18 AM
Madame Fate has morphing objects? Time to replay!!!!

[Post New]by XanderTheSlayer on Dec 11, 09 10:22 AM
Thank you for the response bfgCelebes. I sure appreciate the attention.
I guess they reviewed a beta (or a semi-beta, if that even exists) then.

As I said, I have not yet played the game, but I'm pretty positive it will be awesome and I'll forget about the morphing items as soon as I start playing.

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on Dec 11, 09 10:25 AM
I am downloading game now.hope it is good.so are both games the same.you just get the video in the collecters games.I just don't understand the different.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Dec 11, 09 10:28 AM
missy12 wrote:I am downloading game now.hope it is good.so are both games the same.you just get the video in the collecters games.I just don't understand the different.

No Missy, both games are not the same. With the CE you get tons of extras like videos, wallpaper, screenshots, etc.

Also, and the thing that has some of us riled, is that with the CE you get the mysterious morphing objects (if you played Madame Fate you are familiar with them) and with the standard version they have been removed. the argument here is that the morphing objects are tied to an "achievement" and don't belong in the standard version, but I say that they are part of the gameplay and should have been included.

picman050967
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,226 Posts

[Post New]by picman050967 on Dec 11, 09 10:49 AM
The morphing objects were never part of the normal version. In Madame fate they were required to progress through the game. In dire grove collector's edition they are just "collectibles" and are a part for the badge/achievement system. The entire badging system was built specifically for the collectors edition and does not affect game play.

The game that was beta tested and that some people reviewed was a half finished collectors edition. The developers were adding features right up until the collector's was released. Keep in mind the collectors edition buyers help offset the cost of building this game. It was a far bigger effort than any game BFG has ever created.

Have fun with it! They poured their hearts into it!

Picman

Edited on 12/11/2009 at 10:59:02 AM PST

Darla1108
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Darla1108 on Dec 11, 09 10:55 AM
I just realized my version doesn't contain the morphing items.I am really bummed out. I really enjoyed the morphing objects in Madame Fate, (I just finished playing it through twice this week before I could get Dire Grove.)

I couldn't afford the Collector's Edition and from what I had read I would only not get the extras like wallpaper and strategy guide and a video about BF headquarters. That I can live without. But finding items in a game is what I love to do and now I feel cheated.

I have been a game club member for years and this is the first time that I feel like I've been treated unfairly I will also be contacting Customer Service regarding this. They do need to know that we feel this is a part of the game. It may not have to do with the game progression or being able to "finish" the game. But for me the Search is the game, not just to get to the end.

[Post New]by ChesterPepper79 on Dec 11, 09 11:00 AM
I do understand your frustration sillyfeet and although I felt the ads were vague about the specifics of the perks in the CE, they very clearly stated that there would be extra gameplay.

I'm sorry if you feel like you got cheated out of something but the extra gameplay is the reason why many of us bought the CE.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Dec 11, 09 11:00 AM
Picman, I appreciate you taking the time to come on here and address the issue. I understand that the morphing objects are simply "collectibles" and are not required to progress through the game. However, as you can see by reading this thread as well as some others in this forum, there are many people who are simply not happy about the decision not to include them in the standard version. They may not be part of the game, as far as needing them to progress, but they are integral to the game (at least, that's how many of us feel). Whether or not we get an achievement for them we feel like we are "losing out" by having them taken out of the standard version. And the impression a lot of us had was that it would be the exact same game, aside from the extra videos, outtakes, wallpaper and bonus levels. But it's not the same game...not if you take the morphing objects out. Without the morphing objects we are losing an "element" of the game no matter what terms you put it in.

But, alas, the big man has spoken and I guess he has the final word on it. Which is too bad...b/c I was going to buy this game, but I'm not going to use a credit to settle for a "lesser" version than I was promised.

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Dec 11, 09 11:13 AM
*sobbing* but I LOVED the morphing objects in Madame Fate

And after hearing so many complaints about some of the credits or video or something going on and on and not being turn off-able in the CE I didn't want to get that one either.

What to do?

susielee
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by susielee on Dec 11, 09 11:18 AM
I felt I had to email customer service to let them know of my disappointment about the morphing objects. I feel that BF cheated us. Never expected anything like that from BF.....they've always been the best. If this is going to be the new trend for games, that is, having an "elite" version and "standard" version, I'm afraid they're going to lose me as a customer. I recently read that they're doing the same thing with the soon to be released "Mortimer Beckett" game......two versions. I DO NOT LIKE THIS AT ALL. I will refuse to buy the games when I feel I'm being cheated. We spend too much money on games for these companys to take advantage of us. I, for one have better things I need to be doing anyway than playing games and this may just push me into those other things.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Dec 11, 09 11:27 AM
well said Eleanor....

And after the answer I got from CS...in which they pretty much repeated what the mods and picman have said on this thread...it looks like I may be one of those ex-customers. I can get these games anywhere...with the exception of the BF exclusives and I will go elsewhere to get them if this is the kind of "elite system" we can expect here in the future.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Dec 11, 09 11:30 AM
I bought the CE version of Dire Grove and my feelings (entirely subjective) are this:

Until someone mentioned the morphing items in Madame Fate, I had completely forgotten that there were any. But let's for the moment put Madame Fate aside and say that we look upon Dire Grove as a unique entity. In doing so, for me, I bought Dire Grove CE for the bonus levels AND the morphing, as that was the extra content that I cared about. I would not have bought the CE if it had offered solely as additions that of the concept art, wallpapers, strategy guide, etc. Anyway, this is a longwinded and roundabout way of saying that I bought the CE because I wanted the extra actual content intrinsic to the game itself. Therefore, if I bought the regular version of Dire Grove, it would be bothering me that I was not only missing out on the morphing but also the bonus levels.

So, I'm wondering why it bothers some of you that you are missing out on the morphing but that it's not bothering you that you are also missing out on the bonus levels?

I'm not trying to be cantankerous; I'm just curious.

graytori
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by graytori on Dec 11, 09 11:35 AM
I too have been loooooooking for the morphins. I just found out why I can't find them in this forum. Oh well, At least I won't have to look any longer. I wanted to use a game club credit for this game (since today is my date of month to charge my account for monthly credit). It is showing that it will post my bank account for 11 Dec, but BF hasn't posted my credit as of yet. So I had to buy this game with extra $6.99. Bah hum bug.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Dec 11, 09 11:36 AM
Howatch...I'll answer that.

It doesn't bother me because I never EXPECTED to get bonus levels with the standard version. I knew there would be bonus levels in the CE and I accepted that. But my understanding was that the bonus levels were outside of the story line/gameplay, so it was cool for me if I didn't have them.

However...the morphing is within the gameplay itself. It was never made clear that the morphing would not be in the standard version and, in fact, since they were integrated into the game we never expected them to be taken out at all. And to take them out and ask us to pay a higher price to get them smacks of "elitism" and that's not the kind of gaming site I want to be a member of.

susielee
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by susielee on Dec 11, 09 11:36 AM
I was so looking forward to this game that I bought it this morning without even bothering to play the demo! Stupid me! I'm sure sorry I did that! Knowing what I now know I would never have bought it!

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Dec 11, 09 11:48 AM
Thank you, eleanor and sillyfeet; I understand now.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Dec 11, 09 12:01 PM
I bought the CE version as I just couldn't wait to play this game. I thought it was fantastic and was so sad when I finished it. But the morphing actually added nothing to the enjoyment of the game; it was the plot and game play that made it.
I played Madame Fate and never saw (nor knew) things morphed........must go replay it.
IMHO to not buy anymore BFG or continue with membership is a bit of 'cutting one's nose off...'. At the end of the day I can't think of one games site that comes even close to BFG.
If you play DG without the morphing you'll love the game anyway...the morphing really isn't necessary to enjoy it:-))

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Dec 11, 09 12:02 PM
Purplerabbit wrote:
nykelli1843 wrote:
So, came to the forums to ask this very question. I guess I didn't understand the morphing was only in the CE which led to exta levels or whatever.

That's the whole point. Getting the 50 objects does not lead to an extra level at all, it is one achievement of 10 that leads to getting the extra video, which is a perk of buying the CE.
I'm sorry if you're all miffed, but this is not part of the gameplay and seriously you just want to take everything away from the CE that we shelled out extra for!

Exactly it is not part of the game. It is to get an extra video which was part of the CE edition. Not for the regular game. To get the extra video's we paid the extra amount for, along with the wallpapers, etc. It has nothing to do with game play it is one of the reasons we shelled out extra for the CE version of the game.

Darla1108
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Darla1108 on Dec 11, 09 12:04 PM
eleanor1183 wrote:Howatch, what we're unhappy about is being given a "pared-down" version of the game when we were led to believe it was going to be the same actual game.

And by the way, I actually had the stupidity to buy it, so I'm not playing in the "trial" version, which we all know is not a complete version.

I also bought the full version this morning. I didn't play the trial because I knew I wanted the full version. I knew I wouldn't be getting the wallpaper and extra video, etc. but I did still expect the full game. I thought I might miss an extra level but figured I could live with that. As I said earlier, I replayed Madame Fate this week just to get into the MCF mode and I truly loved trying to find the morphing objects. It was unique to MCF and added a component to the game, watching the whole screen to see if something changed. I did contact Customer Service to relay my disappointment. I am worried that now being a BF Game Club member won't mean much now.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 11, 09 12:15 PM
There are morphing objects in just about every screen in the CE so they did seem part of the game to me when I was playing it.
It took away some of the tedium of returning to the same screen over and over -fun to catch which object was morphing.

Go to: