zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Review

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Dec 19, 09 1:57 PM
The Best game!!!

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Review

[Post New]by lushknight on Dec 19, 09 2:31 PM
This sounds great but I have to wait for the $6.99 version , looking forward to it though. I just heard Gamehouse is doing the CE thing w/ the next Mortimer Beckett game and all you get with that is a jigsaw puzzle or so they say. I don't mind paying extra for a special game now & again, when I can afford it, but it would be nice if they came out w/both versions at the same time like they do w/DVD's. If I want the CE over the regular I will buy it.

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Dec 19, 09 5:58 PM
I just finished the game and I must say that I am pleased. However I don't know if it was worth paying $20. I used the strategy guide only twice, a few hints here and there, and I skipped only 2 puzzles. The graphics are really gorgeous though. It's a nice game, well put together but not challenging enough for my taste. Nothing like Dire Grove. I think I would have been better off getting the regular version given the fact that the extras are not worth the price between the 2 versions. I give it out of 5 for concept and art. Thanks

howdytwo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by howdytwo on Dec 19, 09 6:30 PM
Is it possible to skip the mini games?

redroo
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by redroo on Dec 19, 09 9:50 PM
Yes I brought the Collectors Edition and it is a beautiful game, but was a bit short. The mini games were very easy, unlike MCF Madame Fate which has super mini games. Is it worth $20, not sure. When you compare that cost with shop brought games it is a bargain. Not so long ago all Big Fish games were $20 and some sites still charge that amount, so we are lucky to have lots of games at $7.00. Its a matter of choice and finances. I think the writers of these games do deserve to get extra for the amount of work they do.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 19, 09 10:58 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed it and appreciated the fact that I didn't have to keep jumping to the guide or the walkthrough to figure things out. Is it worth the extra bucks? To me it was. I have paid this price for lessor games at other sites, and for me, this one is worth it. Thank you BF.

[Post New]by tnlady1956 on Dec 20, 09 2:14 PM
Hello everyone, I did purchase and played the CE version, with no problems, however, when I try to play the bonus game and try to click on the sparkly area it kicks me out of the game and back to the game manager. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[Post New]by juliedon on Dec 20, 09 2:58 PM
Well, once again I sprung for the CE (did for Dire Manor too). NOT worth it. Great game but finished it in about 4 hours. Mini games were way too easy. The extra game bonus was nice to add a little more time but still not worth $19.99. Wait for the $6.99 game.

100thMonkey
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by 100thMonkey on Dec 20, 09 6:26 PM
I enjoyed it a lot. It's similar in genre to DIRE GROVE and RAVENHEARST. However, much, much easier. The bonus materials were very bonus! Felt like I was really getting something extra.

The graphics are good and the story is interesting enough to follow. It's my favorite kind of game.

Thanks BFG!

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Dec 21, 09 9:50 AM
What is the BONUS part of this game? Do we get some new hiddon objects and new scenes because it's called Collectors Edition, I would think they wouldn't just have the game start over again so we could replay what we already played. If anyone has finished the game and played the BONUS, could you let me know what the BONUS part of the game is. PM me if you want.

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revie

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Dec 21, 09 10:00 AM
Hi hannah57!
The BONUS part of this game :
Early access to the game (2 to 3 weeks)
Integrated strategy guide in the Main Menu
The original Edgar Allen Poe “Murders in the Rue Morgue” novella
Preview of the next game in the series
Bonus game play includes:
5 additional terrific Adventure scenes
3 additional Hidden Object scenes (reused 1 time each)
3 new mini-puzzles
Many inventory items and ‘lock and key’ puzzles
Bonus Artwork and Sound Track:
MP3’s and original music sheets for the player to play
5 Wallpapers
1 Screensaver
Preview video for “Black Cat”; next game in the series!!!!!!!!!!
Concept art for Murder in the Rue Morgue and Black Cat

Hope it will help you!!!

hannah57 wrote:What is the BONUS part of this game? Do we get some new hiddon objects and new scenes because it's called Collectors Edition, I would think they wouldn't just have the game start over again so we could replay what we already played. If anyone has finished the game and played the BONUS, could you let me know what the BONUS part of the game is. PM me if you want.

susielee
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revie

[Post New]by susielee on Dec 21, 09 4:15 PM
This is the first CE edition I've bought and I'm so glad I did. This game was really worth it! It's a wonderful game. The art work is exquisite! The detail to every little thing is magnificient and simply breath taking. I could never imagine how many beautiful designs of something as simple as "keys" there could be...or scissors.....or irons......just beautiful. All the hidden objects had meaning and went with the game. The music was perfect. The storyline was wonderful. Dupin was so handsome I never minded when he appeared for more dialogue! Please give us more beautiful games as this is!

Edited on 12/21/2009 at 4:16:42 PM PST

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Dec 21, 09 8:31 PM
I agree that the graphics are very striking and I did enjoy them. I would have been happy to pay more for this game than the normal $6.99, but I do not feel that what I got as extras were enough for the game to cost what it did. I would not have been unhappy to pay 5 or 6 dollars more than the usual cost, but I do think that $19.99 was too much. Perhaps an increase in price, but not as high as it was, would have allowed others to purchase it who cannot pay so much extra, especially at Christmas time. The next game, the Black Cat, is one I will wait to play until the non-CE comes out, unless my curiosity, coupled with my possible lack of games to play at that time, causes me to agree to the higher price. Time will tell!

stareis
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by stareis on Dec 21, 09 8:42 PM
sorry i just did'nt think it was worth the 20.00 bucks...it should have taken more then 4 hrs to do...mini games ,way too easy and the extras were a joke....i'm asking for a refund...it should have been a 6.99 game,,and even at that price it should take more then 4 hrs to play!!!! very disappointed bf please give us games that take awhile with a challange...or you are going to lose me....getting bored with the some ol short games lately...

[Post New]by lizwelland on Dec 21, 09 9:24 PM
Purchased CE version for the first time. Got to end of game and go to Bonus area, after entering the first door got a black screen and a message that says saved profile file corrupt, and the option to BEGIN AGAIN from the very start...ahhhh. OK, went through a second time (entire game) and got to the Bonus area, got through first room, went to second door...you guessed it SAME BLACK SCREEN. Paid $20 for Bonus features that don't work. Never again!!!!!!

[Post New]by bitchatha on Dec 21, 09 10:18 PM
samwise50 wrote:I just finished the game and I must say that I am pleased. However I don't know if it was worth paying $20. I used the strategy guide only twice, a few hints here and there, and I skipped only 2 puzzles. The graphics are really gorgeous though. It's a nice game, well put together but not challenging enough for my taste. Nothing like Dire Grove. I think I would have been better off getting the regular version given the fact that the extras are not worth the price between the 2 versions. I give it out of 5 for concept and art. Thanks

[Post New]by bitchatha on Dec 21, 09 10:20 PM
Just finished the collectors edition. pleasant game, not hard but not worth the $20 investment. I think it's basically like the regular games. I like to be challenged for the money. This isn't even a little challenging.

[Post New]by Kajun12 on Dec 23, 09 9:59 AM
Just finshed this game and I was real disapointed as it was to short and I feel it was not worth $19.99.

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Dec 23, 09 10:18 AM
I don't think I'd even buy this for the 6.99. Maybe it comes with the whole CE and "expecting something above and beyond everything else at BFG" because to me this game is on par with many others and I've seen better here. It's an average game. Meh.

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Dec 23, 09 10:20 AM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed it and appreciated the fact that I didn't have to keep jumping to the guide or the walkthrough to figure things out. Is it worth the extra bucks? To me it was. I have paid this price for lessor games at other sites, and for me, this one is worth it. Thank you BF.

I definitely didn't need to hit the guide as much as I would in other games so this one's a lot more simple. Not to say simple games can't be very entertaining since I played my way through Fairway Solitaire and its gazillion levels, but that took weeks and I really felt I got my money's worth (FREE).

Go to: