kayjay97
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

Re:Agatha Christie: Dead Man's Folly

[Post New]by kayjay97 on Dec 27, 09 8:01 AM
Well, I was sure disappointed in this game. If you are an Agatha Christie fan the names and story line do make a lot of sense. I knew who the "murderers" were before downloading the demo which is probably why this was very boring to me. I was hoping for more interaction.

Oh well, maybe the next AC game will be better but will pass on this one

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on Dec 29, 09 4:55 PM
It is pretty much a straight HOG but I like HOGs.

So if you like HOGs, here are some comments:
1. I like the "chapters." I like being able to leave a scene and then return again later to find the items you could not find the first time.
2. I do not understand the complaints about hints. You start with 3. You can earn more by finding 4 or 5 items quickly. Or you can wait for the hint to recharge (I think it takes 90 seconds).
3. If you knew "who done it" before playing, you read the book. There are hints and clues spread all along the game - some red herrings and some important. But that is OK, the purpose here is to play a HOG not solve the mystery. If solving the mystery were important, none of these games would have any replay value.
4. Yes, it has a timer but I never came anywhere near close to timing out in this game (I have in others). And if you do - just replay the chapter - makes the game longer too! But I do agree that developers SHOULD ALWAYS offer an untimed option, as some people are not able to finish in the allotted time. And if not having a relaxed mode ruins the fun for some players - why not add it?
5. A fair amount of revisiting scenes. Sometimes finding the same items. Not so good.
6. Each chapter is longer than the last as the developers add an additional scene each chapter. I finished just over 4 chapters in the demo, and played another 2.5 hours after purchased to finish the 11 chapters - a total of 3.5 hours.
7. There is a "find all" round after you finish the game where you find every item in every scene. I have not played that yet.
8. Graphics are reasonably good - I have seen better and worse recently, but overall the graphic quality of games has gone WAY UP in the last year, so compared to a year old game this one is great.
9. Some things are well hidden or in dark sections. You could argue that too many are. I averaged using a little less than one hint per scene.
10 Nothing appears that is inconsistent with the story - no cell phones or jets.
11. Little popup info screens appear when you find something useful. That can be irritating and it interrupts your quick-find-extra-hint hopes.
12. There are a lot of characters and keeping track of this is all but impossible. There should be a journal or notebook to refer back to - as there was in Death on the Nile I believe.

Bottom line: good but not great. I'll play again.

/

grover3e
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by grover3e on Jan 24, 10 9:28 PM
Easily figured out the issues that most people seemed to have problems with (grammatically tortured, I know!), but the game's abrupt ending and reliance on a few locations made it rather ****-hum for me. Bought the game, but wish I hadn't wasted my credit.

2 1/2 stars of 5.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Sep 29, 10 10:50 AM
This was a straight hidden object game - there were some simple puzzles with no interactive or adventure elements. The graphics were very nice, but quite a few items were a bit too small. Because I enjoy Agatha Christie, I liked the story element that was woven into the game, but you do not really participate in solving the mystery in any way. For a straightforward hidden object game it is well done and relaxing, but overall it is a bit on the dull side.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Apr 29, 14 12:05 AM
Love Agatha Christie and have played all of the games listed. I did not particularly care for the cartoon aspect of getting through some dialogue, but the rest of the game was really nice to play. Unlike some other games, items were large enough to find, beautiful graphics and a delight to play.

Go to: