hcopter51
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

Re:Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe`s Murders in the Rue comments and reviews

[Post New]by hcopter51 on Feb 1, 10 9:57 AM
RaceCat3 wrote:I loved this game, just as I loved Puppet Show! Not too difficult, not too easy for me either. I hope the developer keeps these great games coming!

Me 2..Liked Puppet Show better tho...A bit short but excellent game none the less...Did not need to get guide as the walkthrough was enough if there were any problems, and not many problems either...Really enjoyed it...

BSF0819
Flounder
Flounder
2,129 Posts

[Post New]by BSF0819 on Feb 2, 10 6:14 PM
Enjoyed the entire game immensely. Looking forward to the sequel

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Feb 4, 10 5:02 PM
Didn't mind much for this game, the end was disappointing and not credible, who that ache would solve a mistery murder in such way? The crime's scenes were not compatible with the intrusion of a gorilla, and I found of bad taste to show him like an innocent behind bars, so, the story line very weak, the music is annoying, the graphics are not bad, but many locations are cruel and depressant! Oh well,,, that's it, bad choice!

larrymaz
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by larrymaz on Feb 5, 10 12:55 PM
skernation wrote:Anyone else have trouble clicking the wolf eye to enter it into your inventory? only problem I've seen, enjoyable game, but lacking in effects and challenges.

Thanks for the help

Also having the sae problem. Did you find a solution?

loonylimey
Clownfish
Clownfish
522 Posts

[Post New]by loonylimey on Feb 10, 10 6:57 PM
I enjoyed this game. I thought the graphics were the prettiest I have seen. the puzzles were not too challenging and seemed a bit Ravenhearstish, but not nearly so good. It took me for ever to finish as I am not a very proficient player. I enjoyed the ambience, the accordian music etc.. I will play it again in the more challenging mode in a couple of months. definately worth the money.

annita33
Narwhal
Narwhal
34,725 Posts

[Post New]by annita33 on Feb 21, 10 10:02 AM
I thought this was a good game I enjoyed it this is my favorite kind of game .

[Post New]by veegin on Feb 27, 10 8:24 AM
I loved the game and look forward to playing it again.The forum is a great help. Thank you.

Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

[Post New]by Cordia on Mar 19, 10 1:01 AM
I just tried the trial and I must say I'm really happy with what I saw. Genuine Poe references, lots of interactive stuff between the hidden object scenes, and the clutter in the hidden object scenes mostly looks like things you might expect to find there. This is happily going into my "keeper" file to be revisited with a credit at a later date.

[Post New]by alicetremea on Apr 1, 10 5:09 PM
I think the game is pretty boring on the aspect that is not like those MCF or Sweeney Todd's that you can choose where do ya want to go. But is really nice, especially the bonus part, that really rocks!

grover3e
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by grover3e on Apr 22, 10 7:14 PM
Didn't love this one, and I'm glad I didn't shell out for the CE. The **** scenes were done well, but some of the adventure stuff was TOUGH (the Rue Morgue took me FOREVER and required a visit to the walkthrough). I was especially bummed about the end of the game, but I won't spoil it. Anyhow, could have been better.

THREE OF FIVE STARS

beadster
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by beadster on Apr 25, 10 9:29 PM
I opted for the regular game rather than the collector's version. I thought it was well done, fairly easy to maneuver around. However, towards the end I got a little bored and thought some of **** became easier to find. Overall thought it was a good game all the way through. At least in this one the English matched the objects unlike some of the other **** games. Would give this a 3+ out of 5. Worth getting.

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on May 5, 10 12:58 AM
zorroback2 wrote:Great game!!! The Best i ever played!!! Finished it without a break.
Now, what will I play tomorrow?

I guess we are in a minority here. I too think it's a great game. Although not the most challenging game, it's just what I needed to break from the intensity of some of the other games that are taking me a few days to finish. The game is just challenging enough to keep me interested. I liked it so much that I used one of my credits (that finally came today in my email). I give this game

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on May 6, 10 8:36 PM
I really enjoyed this game....has everything i want.........good graphics, music and at a level that I don't have too go looking for help every five minutes. Great period piece, true to the story, no stupid mistakes. I hope they do more with other Poe stories. They respected the piece and did not make me bang my head against the wall trying to figure out irrelevant, ambigous nonsense.

chutolha
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by chutolha on May 20, 10 3:00 PM
I found this game fun and interesting. much too short though. And finally, the best part was the expression on the gorilla's face. Cracked me up.

Anna1782
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Anna1782 on May 21, 10 2:38 AM
Not for me! It's too dark and boring, Sorry!

[Post New]by BellaSwan_Cullen on Jun 4, 10 6:41 PM
Enjoyed the game. Suprisingly entertaining! Looking forward 2 the next 1, if there will b another!

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jun 7, 10 5:37 PM
Bought this some time ago, started it but hadn't played in a while. Finally decided to play it all. I'd give it a 3.75 on a scale of 1-5.

I didn't time myself; I played over a matter of maybe 3-4 days, so I think it took a total of 4+ hours. I played in harder mode and never used a walkthrough. (I did sometimes use hints to find hidden objects). So I do not think the game was too short as many reviewers state. I did all the puzzles w/out cheating and read all the dialogue quickly. Good length overall, imo.

I ran the music sometimes but quickly got tired with it so mostly played with it off. (I rarely if ever can stand the music in games. Too repetitive and annoying.)

The graphics in this are superb; isn't this the same developers as make the Puppetshow games? If so, it truly shows. All hidden object scenes were clear and with very few exceptions everything was findable. Nothing black on black although some items cleverly hidden (hints needed in those cases). Period items which was nice, but I did notice quite a bit of repetition of items in scenes, the more I played the game.

Also as someone else said, it seems the developers got rushed, tired or lazy nearing the end because the hidden object scenes got much easier; less items in each scene, more duplicates of things to find (i.e., 3 bells, 3 razors, etc.). I didn't mind, but it was noticeable.

I found the puzzles very easy and the interactive bits of the game just about right; not very challenging but clever enough to keep me busy. Sometimes that's all I want in a game. Not too much brain work but enough to keep me interested. (Try Green Moon for a brain bender!)

The ending probably would have surprised me had it not already been given away in the forums which I'd read some time ago so knew what to expect. (I thought you were supposed to say SPOILER when giving away endings!?). I do believe that's how Poe's story ends so at least it's true to the story. I did feel very sorry for the gorilla though; I did not find him "hilarious" as others state, I thought he was pitiful and sad. I know, it's just an animated gorilla in a game but I"m a sucker for animals. lol.

Overall a nice game I will play again some time, definitely worth $6.99. I am glad I didn't get the CE because although I liked the game, it's not a top ten choice.

Hope my thoughts are helpful.

bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

[Post New]by bluecat434 on Jul 7, 10 11:25 PM
i usually love adventure games (ravenhearst 2, green moon among cg favorites.) but i thought this one was a little awkward. the story didn't pull me in, and i only felt sad for the gorilla. (they actually just get despondent when caged and are rarely aggressive.)

maybe it's just an off-time on my part. this one didn't pull me in. i got a little weary of looking for objects with no logical rhyme or reason for location---at least that i could find. puzzles were so-so---one good slider puzzle, and the rest left me cold.

i'm hoping for another mcf game soon, or another quirky indie adventure game.

silkywings
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,043 Posts

[Post New]by silkywings on Aug 19, 10 12:53 AM
I just finished this today after buying it in July. For me, a "perfect" game. I enjoyed absolutely everything about it. I had to use the walkthrough here and there but really tried not to. Beautiful scenes...the scenes were so interesting...I took my time just looking at them for a while. Great story...there have been a couple of movies made from Poe's story. This game was fantastic. Thank you to all involved.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Aug 23, 10 4:33 AM

Post game review:

I really enjoyed this game.

It had just the right difficulty level for my taste.

A good challenge, but not mind aching.

The graphics were great.

The dialog was just ok.

Enjoyed the music most of the time.

Feel good about spending a credit on this one.

Angel

Go to: