Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

Re:The Fall Trilogy comments and reviews

[Post New]by Howatch on Jan 10, 10 12:00 PM
Beautiful game. But then, I've never been disappointed in any game by Kheops; they are a class act.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Jan 10, 10 12:03 PM
Diat60 wrote:I'm curious about the title, specifically the word "Trilogy". Does this mean there are two more parts of the game coming or is this all there is?

Hi,

I've just finished the game and yes, there are two more parts to come! I really enjoyed it. Definitely more Adventure than HOG but then I like both genres so it's fine with me.

It wasn't as difficult as some Ad games are but certainly was quite tough at times. Some of the puzzles had me thinking hard. The hint system is a little slow to refill but with the option of the second hint system (on the Tasks screen) I made it through without taking recourse to your walkthrough more than a couple of times.

All in all, a very enjoyable game and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Jan

[Post New]by AzredheadedBrat on Jan 10, 10 12:14 PM
I have a pretty fast gaming computer but I was experiencing a lot of lag. Lagging of the cursor, animations, etc. I have 38 minutes left on the demo and I'm not even sure I'll finish it. I'm so disappointed because I was excited to see this game show up for purchase. It looked intriguing, but looks can be deceiving. I noticed others complaining about the lag, but I assumed they just had older computers that couldnt handle it.

Edited on 01/10/2010 at 12:14:56 PM PST

k_mac3
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by k_mac3 on Jan 10, 10 1:08 PM
I was really liking the game til the glitches started ie error messages, full screen not opening, arrows missing and finally went into the room where you need the pulleys but it wouldn't let me back out . Quality control and testing apparently wasn't thorough enough prior to releasing this game. I don't know if it needs a patch to fix it but it needs something.

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Jan 10, 10 1:15 PM
I love the game, it is truly beautiful. It is an easy adventure game, and I think I am close to halfway through on the demo. It will be put on my maybe list, and wait to see if other adventure gamers are completing it in a couple of hours.

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Jan 10, 10 1:20 PM
I've played the hour demo and am really enjoying this game. I'll be buying it as soon as my credit for this month comes through later today.

The graphics, as others have said, are really quite realistic and beautiful. The character is a man, which is nice for a change. The music is really nice and soothing and I love when it stops and we can hear birds and forest sounds. The mini games are challenging, but if you keep working at them, they are quite solvable. I'm not the best at solving puzzles, but I didn't have a problem solving these without a walkthrough. I think that if you rush through this game (i.e. using a walkthrough) then it will go by too quickly and you will miss something in the playing, but that's just my opinion. I have gained a lot of patience over the years, which makes it easier to keep at a puzzle instead of having a look at a picture to get it solved faster and move on to the next one. I want to enjoy this game completely because it makes me feel peaceful while I play.

There are a lot of things in the options that I really like. The fact that 360 can be turned off and you then use arrows on the screen to move from one section to the other makes it really good for those of us who get motion sickness. The fact that the resolution can be set to match my screen is great! I didn't have problems with the cursor jumping or floating, but my video card is a gaming one so it can handle the cursor. Sound controls are separate for music, voice, and other sounds, which means you can set those three exactly to your own preferences. I didn't find the screens particularly dark, but only got as far as the knives over the statue puzzle. Perhaps they get darker later on in the game... I'll find that out later.

All-in-all this is a great game and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a nice adventure (quest) game. There are lots of challenging puzzles to solve right from the outset, meaning you need to use your brain and think your way through the game. I haven't finished this one and I'm already looking forward to the next edition in the series. I do hope it doesn't take too long for them to get them out to us!

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jan 10, 10 1:52 PM
Game length: It took me a little over 5 hours to play through the first time. I think that is a good length and well worth the $6.99.

Puzzles: A good mix of puzzles that were just the right difficulty. The HINT button will give you the instructions on how to play or the objective of the puzzles without solving it for you. There is a SKIP available for the puzzles.

Story: It held my interest and is a good beginning for a trilogy. I am looking forward to the next game in the series.

Game Play: The Task bar is very helpful in letting you know what to do next. The Map of the area and all the rooms is also handy and kept me from getting lost. The Hidden Items are sometimes hidden too well and may require a Hint to locate them. Because of the Task menu, Hint button and Map this is not a game that will require you to constantly be using a walkthrough.

Options: I love all of the choices in the Options from the main menu. Choices like this make the game more enjoyable since you can tailor the game to the way you enjoy it. I was glad that I had the choice to turn off the 360 view.

I have an old computer and sometimes I have problems with the video aspects of a game. But in this game in the OPTIONS I set the game resolution to 1024 x 768 and I did not have any problems

Edited on 01/10/2010 at 1:55:43 PM PST

acyy415
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by acyy415 on Jan 10, 10 2:46 PM
I was getting a supergreat feeling about this game ............then my cursor got drunk!

While usually very patient (usually!) I don't appreciate this habit of floating around.

Is my computer becoming a gameaholic or do I have a tech issue?
Anybody?

Someone (sorry fishie! forgot the name) noted using a better vid card? Do tell?

I'd rather spend my pennies on games than on a check-up.

So.........No Whitehouse or Fall Trilogy for me this weekend.

[Post New]by cadesparks on Jan 10, 10 3:28 PM
Just used the 1 hour trial and was very disappointed. Had to get out and start over twice because I kept getting to the statuette puzzle and I couldn't back out to find the stinkin' statuette. Maybe I'm blind but I still have no idea where it is. There's an hour of my life I can never get back...

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Jan 10, 10 4:08 PM
cadesparks wrote:Just used the 1 hour trial and was very disappointed. Had to get out and start over twice because I kept getting to the statuette puzzle and I couldn't back out to find the stinkin' statuette. Maybe I'm blind but I still have no idea where it is. There's an hour of my life I can never get back...

Cade -- are you talking about the puzzle with the little statues? If you are -- all the figures are in that screen. It took me about 10 minutes of banging my head against that wall to realize I was trying to back out of the only place I was going to find them. Look carefully around the corners of the opening where the large figure is -- that was where the ones I was missing were hidden.

icypup
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by icypup on Jan 10, 10 4:38 PM
Very disappointed in the game. Some of the tasks made no sense at all.

Maven
Clownfish
Clownfish
944 Posts

[Post New]by Maven on Jan 10, 10 4:55 PM
cadesparks:
Just used the 1 hour trial and was very disappointed. Had to get out and start over twice because I kept getting to the statuette puzzle and I couldn't back out to find the stinkin' statuette.

Same thing happened to me. It is the room with outline of a statue and the character says "Something is missing here." There is no down arrow, or left arrow, that allows me to leave this room. And there is nothing clickable within in except for the statue outline.

This is enough to make me hold my January credit for something else.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jan 10, 10 6:50 PM
KitKat5169 wrote:Went out last night and had a little too much fun, so you can guess how my stomache felt playing the demo and I didn't even have it on 360!

Great graphics. I agree with Martyheinz that it could have used a map as I kept going in circles (well, actually you do go in circles). I'll probably buy it down the road when I'm ready for a great challenge.

It has a map. How much did you say you had?

Edited on 01/10/2010 at 6:50:49 PM PST

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jan 10, 10 6:56 PM
Martyheinz wrote:Welcome to the pond.ToonaCat. I think this is one of the best I have played. I don't usually like 360 games as it upsets my stomach, but I like this one. I like games heavy on puzzles. Think that it will keep me busy for a while. Not a quickie. I get turned around sometimes and it would help if they had a map or something, but the
HOGds make sense. Not just a pile of junk.

I think the 360 on this game is better than most. It doesn't go as far as some, like on the ceiling and under my feet and it's not full of gaudy junkpile stuff. That really makes me sick. Think it' a graet game. I love hos and interactive hos but i get tired of the same 'ol same 'ol. This is a very fresh game.

Ogmo
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by Ogmo on Jan 10, 10 8:00 PM
Played through the demo, and I was really sad when it ended. It's rare to find a game that does this to me (most of the times I don't even play the entire demo), but this one managed to keep me on my toes for the whole hour. Not literally of course.

Anyway, there were many things I liked, most of them related to the puzzles, which are very challenging, but never so hard that I needed to skip them. The hidden-object scenes, on the other hand, hide their objects a little too well for it's own good. So well, in fact, that whenever I used a hint to find a particularly tough item, the first thing to pop into my mind was usually around the lines of "Oh, c'mon, you expected me to find THAT?"

Graphic-wise, the game is beautiful. Everything is really detailed, and the animations are subtle, but lively, and all in all the guys at Kheops Studio made a great job into creating a trapped-into-a-puzzle-filled-pit atmosphere. The exploration and navigation is great: the player is given the option to look around using arrows placed on the sides of the screen, or using a 360 view that can be controlled by either the mouse or the arrow keys on the keyboard (my personal choice).

I can't say much about the music, because I honestly didn't pay attention to it at all. In fact, was it not for the voice acting, I might have thought I had my speakers off, so I'll guess the music is either soothing and blends in with the game or non-existent. And, speaking of voice acting, it was not bad, but the flat and unchanging voice tone of the main character got a bit tiring over time. Well, you can always skip the dialogues with the Spacebar, I guess.

Geez, all this writing is making me hungry. This was supposed to be a simple comment and is almost turning into a full review! I'd better stop now, huh =P

Closing thoughts: definitely worth buying if you enjoy puzzle/adventure games!

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jan 10, 10 9:27 PM
My punch card is full, and I said I wouldn't buy any more this month, except maybe a DD or two. Well...

Played about 10 minutes of the demo and bought it. This is EXACTLY the kind of game I dearly love!! It's not Riven, but it is sure good, and I am very, very happy that BFG got it so quickly for us!!!

mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Jan 10, 10 10:04 PM
I absolutely loved this game. Since I play a lot of MMO's, I appreciate the 360 view. It helps take away the restrictive "point and click" nature of most adventure games. There is an option to to turn off the 360 if you prefer to use arrows to move.

The graphics were very good but some items were very cleverly hidden and required much hunting. The puzzles were harder than average and took some thought. Some tasks require you to backtrack through the cave (for lack of a better word) but a map is supplied. This was no 60-90 minute game. If you actually solve (or try to solve) the puzzles, you can easily get 4 hours of playtime out of this game. The puzzles do have an easy mode option and also a skip option after a set time has passed.

It's not as hard as a full-on large file adventure game such as Nancy Drew, etc., but HOG purists will probably find it difficult. That being said, however, it's very linear design makes it much easier than most LF adventure games. I haven't played it twice but I would guess that after a time or two, the replay value would be nil since nothing will change. The only thing that will change are the number of hints you use and how fast you complete it. The hint timer is slow to recharge and there are some puzzles and items you cannot use the hint for but the journal tells you what task you should be completing. I did not find myself waiting for the hint timer to recharge.

I had no issues with the game running smoothly, choppiness, or language issues. The voice acting above average. I loved that there was no written dialogue to skip through. There are separate controls for music, ambient, and game sound volume which was nice. I found the music okay and not at all annoying.

There are 3 "chapters" (this one being the "first") and that's why it's called a Trilogy.

This is not a quick game. You will have to use your brain and take your time so in my book, that makes it well worth the credit. I am personally looking forward to the next chapter!

If BFG released more games of this type and caliber, I'd be a very broke fishie!!

Edited on 01/10/2010 at 10:08:12 PM PST

mszoomy
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by mszoomy on Jan 10, 10 10:56 PM
I'm really enjoying this game
A good mix of adventure and H.O.
I like the 360 degree viewing because I constantly catch myself trying to peek around the corner of my monitor LOL, needless to say, it doesn't work that way
The puzzles do get harder as the game progress and I wish they would give you a hint or at least a starting point on some of them instead of just a "skip" option (I gave up on the 6 sided dominoes, but if I'd had just one tile in place to start with I know I could have finished it)
The graphics are beautiful, the story is captivating.
I'm no quite finished and I would say that I have at least 3 hours invested of casual play so far.
The only draw back that irritates me is not being able to skip the spoken dialogue as I can read faster than the character can talk.

All in all I think its a great game and a nice change of pace. I'm running Windows xp and have had no problems.

youreyes13
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by youreyes13 on Jan 10, 10 11:21 PM
I just finished this game on the normal mode, so I'm not sure how it plays on the easy mode. It took me a little over 4 hours, didn't skip any puzzles and used very few hints since the few I did use weren't very helpful. LOL

The graphics are awesome and I dug the soundtrack...very New Age sounding to me. I didn't mind the narrator's voice, as it was very relaxing. It could've been longer and there could've been more places to explore and puzzles to solve (can't there always be more?!). LOL

Overall I really enjoyed this game and look forward to the 2nd and 2rd installments!!!

Edited on 01/10/2010 at 11:22:13 PM PST

[Post New]by sphinxvictorian on Jan 11, 10 12:32 AM
Good little game, had to use the walkthrough a little, some things were not instinctive. But my only real complaint was that it was a little too short. A little longer would be nice for the next installment.

Go to: