Re:Please, enough of these games of witchcraft

[Post New]by belzebu on Feb 5, 10 10:23 AM
Everyone has their own preferences when playing computer games and Green Moon is right up my street with good puzzles and an intereting story line. Witchcraft? What witchcraft? What I am heartily sick of are "Hidden Object" games. All that groping around pixel hunting is enough to give anyone eyestrain and a headache. Why are there so many of them? Are they cheap to produce or something? Enough, already!!!! Let's go back to true adventure games again.

karen876
Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

[Post New]by karen876 on Feb 6, 10 10:47 AM
Hello!!!!
We are 'playing games'. There is no witchcraft involved (unless you count the internet in this equation).

Hispagirl
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

Please, enough of these games of witchcraft

[Post New]by Hispagirl on Mar 25, 11 6:20 PM
dancer22 wrote:Is anyone else getting sick of these games that include witchcraft? On the one hour trials ,it seem like somes games start out interesting but then somehow skulls , potions and items of the dark side are included. I WON"T buy them! Some games I did purchase had witchcraft items later in the game. I was disappointed.

What bothers me is the immense amounts of ghost and evil objects as well as the withcraft. If you go to the main page that is virtually all that you can see is something macabre, scary, witchcraft, death, ghosts, demons... it is highly disturbing. Sometimes you can avoid it and sometimes you cannot even if you read on the game. Then there are the games that I really like whose theme is that and I have to debate if to play it even though I enjoyed the past games. Why aren't the games where you use your brain not be featured most.

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

Please, enough of these games of witchcraft

[Post New]by LadyDream on Apr 23, 11 3:45 AM
Why aren't the games where you use your brain not be featured most.

Wow, you really haven't read any reviews on this game. This one is all about using your brain...not the topic, but the playing. Ok, moving on...

To those who hold this opinion:

The games are coming out with the spooky themes because that is what is selling. That means more people like them then dislike them. They make money, so expect to see more. I expect...and hope...that good romance games will sell and we will see lots of those. And you think the romance games aren't fantasy?

I'll choose magical fantasy over the real life blood and gore/police stories every time, although I love a good mystery. A game of any kind is make believe, so if you play games, your living the fantasy.

I'm a Christian, life long, and that's been awhile. I have friends of other faiths, including Wicca. I find them interesting. Sorry, but I don't feel the least bit threatened by diversity. I AM offended by Christians assuming every one should have the same beliefs that they do. This is the internet, international, remember?

As to children being influenced and warning labels, when did we start expecting someone else to make our decisions for us? Much too much of that already, thank you. I almost always research a game before I buy it, even when it's part of a series I like. It's saved me a waste of time and money. I'm old enough to remember life without warning labels. We excepted responsibility for our actions and watching our children and what went into their minds much more than today.

Just the fact that Green Moon was picked out for these comments says a lot. Anyone who actually played it get scared? I'm not that far into it, but not one single review has mentioned it being scary, outside of it being VERY hard to do without referencing a walkthrough, LOL. It's a puzzle game and I'm loving it, I'm challenged and sometimes that's exactly what I want. OK, rant over. I'm going back to playing Green Moon. I came here in the first place to see how to get past eating the bread without the spell. Brain fail!

Edited on 04/23/2011 at 3:57:25 AM PST

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Jun 25, 11 1:10 AM
I don't think we need warning labels, but I would appreciate more of a description of a game than just a couple of sentences and obscure adjectives like "dark" (does that mean the hidden objects are in shadows or does it mean frightening) and "fun" (does that mean suitable for children or lots of puns on popular culture). For example, the description of Green Moon could include "Make magic potions to enable time travel to ..." Especially since the game starts out with lots of realism, some people could be disappointed because the game turns out different from their expectations. I think blurps about magic would attract more people than be turned off. I don't think you should have to check out walk throughs or reviews just to decide whether you want to buy a game. If a game includes elements that aren't apparent in the first few scenes of the demo, they should be hinted at in the description.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jun 25, 11 2:17 AM
I find it totally weird and disturbing how much the occult is in our face anymore with a good 90% or more of the H0Gs featuring it,plus all those ridiculous Ghost hunting and WITCH shows on TV,so I would like to see the game developers show they have more creativity and imagination to create more games with many of the different elements/stories that the fishies here have asked for in many other threads,such as more history/legends,folklore/unexplained mysteries/conspiracies/aliens and other Sci-Fi.

Many of us have said over and over and over again that we would like more diversity in the games,so why aren't we seeing it,is what I would like to know?

Edited to say 'many of us' instead of *we* to avoid FLAMING!

Edited on 06/28/2011 at 9:49:27 AM PST

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Jun 25, 11 2:30 AM
soblessed57 wrote: I find it totally weird and disturbing how much the occult is in our face anymore with a good 90% or more of the H0Gs featuring it,plus all those ridiculous Ghost hunting and WITCH shows on TV,so I would like to see the game developers show they have more creativity and imagination to create more games with many of the different elements/stories that the fishies here have asked for in many other threads,such as more history/legends,folklore/unexplained mysteries/conspiracies/aliens and other Sci-Fi.

We have said over and over and over again that we would like more diversity in the games,so why aren't we seeing it,is what I would like to know?

Caveat: I'm just noting that when you speak for "we" you are not speaking for all BFG customers. In fact, I'd bet that the "we" doesn't include the majority.

Since that's not clear, can you possibly define what you mean by "we" or else simply use an identifier that doesn't make it sound as though you're speaking for the entire "we" here? TIA.

Another note: folklore includes old stories and myths with magical elements in many cases. And as a personal opinion, I'm not sure why aliens and conspiracy theories (the latter most often just generate distrust and suspicion due to lack of facts) are wanted, but games with "occult" (and what does that mean?) aren't.

Let's face it, what people view as "occult" and hence "bad" can vary widely. Luckily, games cary descriptions, in the titles, write-ups and screen shots, so we can be forewarned before we play.

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Jun 25, 11 2:45 AM
My opinion is that I `love `em`. Green Moon - excellent! and so many more. We do not `have` to buy any game and it is up to us which ones we play. Personally I love games that the OP mentions and any like that.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Jun 25, 11 2:46 AM
In the interests of furthering understanding about what "occult" means, and using the definition of "ghost" as one element that's unwanted by some players, does The Headless Horseman then become occult?

That's a serious question, because it's not just a fiction story by Washington Irving. His story is based on folklore of that area, a ghost story hundreds of years old. I used to live in that area and I knew about the horseman before I ever read the fiction story based on the legend.

And, if ghosts are bad, then what does that make vampires? To me, it would seem that the undead roaming about chomping on people and killing them could be an unsettling and even occult theme. So are vampire games "out" based on occult=bad?

Are any legends from any culture that have magical elements, or strange impossible creatures, or other "impossible" elements also occult and hence bad?

I suspect that the choices are so personal that the only thing the gaming or TV or movie market can do is to put products out that they think will sell. And we as consumers can make our own choices.

For awhile, games set in Egypt were a fad. (BTW, if someone doesn't believe in ancient Egyptian religious beliefs, does that then make the an ankh an "occult" item?) And so it will go.

Today, Salem witch stories--and frankly, the reality and cruelty of the "trials" and the deaths are far worse than any ghost story, IMHO--and tomorrow what? Maybe adventures on Mars. Whatever, I'm sure there will always be choices in games--without them the market stagnates--and we all get to make our personal choices, too.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jun 25, 11 2:49 AM
Oh give us a break please. These are games and no-one is forcing anyone to play them.
As with any "business", products are offered to clients and some will like them and others will not. Doesn't mean anyone is wrong or right, but everyone has a choice.
If this game is not of your choice, sobeit, there will be others from which to select.
Actually, in regards to "dark and eerie, occult etc", there have been a lot of more "intense" games involving these factors rather than this very enjoyable and challenging game offered on BFG since this one.
Cheers

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Jun 25, 11 2:06 PM
Pepper says SoBlessed isn't speaking for all BFG customers. SoBlessed never suggested banning or eliminating games with witches, ghosts, etc. She said "we" want diversity, a variety of different types of games with different themes. I think she IS speaking for all, or at least the vast majority of customers. Why is it that when someone says, "I wish we had more adventure games and less time management games" that is taken as simple feedback but when someone says "I wish we had more sci-fi games and fewer games with witches" they are attacked. Nobody on this thread suggested banning or eliminating witchcraft games. You're battling windmills.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Jun 27, 11 10:23 AM
Sigh.cbell, let's not make it about defending personalities, 'k?

I agree--in *this* thread so far no one has asked that such games be eliminated. This is an old, old, old, discussion here @ BFG and in other threads people have said that they thought they ought not to be offered on family sites, etc. etc. (Comments varied.)

As you're new here, no one expects, I should imagine, you to have the background or the experience of reading on this topic for months on end.

However, SoBlessed does *not* speak for me. Nor has anyone been attacked.

Someone disagreeing is not an attack. Someone saying "ahhh, 'we' isn't reflective of everyone in the Pond on this issue" isn't an attack. In the past, several people have made it clear that they want MORE "dark" games. But I'm not about to say "WE want more dark games" because it isn't true of all fishies.

Windmills? I'd say that the constant "occult games are evil" threads (of various types) are tilting at windmills.

Remember, diversity includes "dark" games. And there are many many games otu there that don't have dark themes. Funny thing is that I've just finished one spectacular game, am playing the second, but gee whiz, I've not yet seen those fulminating about evil games comment on these games.

My motto: sho, shop, shop. In life, and when it comes to games.

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Jun 27, 11 7:46 PM
I know there are a lot of people out there who think anything remotely resembling the occult is evil and should be banned. My own mother believes that someone can be a good Christian all their life but if they go Trick or Treating once on Halloween it will condemn their soul for all eternity. She wants Congress to outlaw dressing in costumes on Halloween. I love my Mom, but that's just kooky. I too get annoyed by their religious rants, especially since I grew up with them.

The problem is that now whenever someone mentions witchcraft in games, people assume the speaker is one of the intolerant extremists. Since no one on this thread has asked that such games be eliminated, arguments on why they shouldn't be banned misses the point. Diversity includes dark games, so people asking for diversity aren't asking that dark games be eliminated.

Sometimes I think, "Not ANOTHER game about vampires" not because I think they should be banned but because the same old thing is boring. But I don't want to lumped in with kooks like my mom.

I think the reason for the discussion here is that potions and alchemy are not essential to the game. It could have been written as a sci-fi game with scientific explanations like a time machine and teleporter. It would have been harder, since it would open up things like "If there's no water yet, why are their cloulds?" The nice thing about magic is that since it doesn't exist the developer can have a magic spell do anything they want it to do. It is so close to sci-fi that people tired of magic spells wish it had been sci-fi. Whether you don't like magic because of your religion or because it is boring, you see an opportunity to make a really good game even better. Let's agree we all want a diversity in games and then discuss what each of us would like to see more of. Personally, I'd like more nudity and sex, but I don't think that's going to happen.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jun 28, 11 8:31 AM
cbellcrm wrote:Pepper says SoBlessed isn't speaking for all BFG customers. SoBlessed never suggested banning or eliminating games with witches, ghosts, etc. She said "we" want diversity, a variety of different types of games with different themes. I think she IS speaking for all, or at least the vast majority of customers. Why is it that when someone says, "I wish we had more adventure games and less time management games" that is taken as simple feedback but when someone says "I wish we had more sci-fi games and fewer games with witches" they are attacked. Nobody on this thread suggested banning or eliminating witchcraft games. You're battling windmills.

EXACTLY- Thank you sweetie! ((((((((HUGS))))))).

Edited on 06/29/2011 at 4:50:51 AM PST

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jun 29, 11 5:06 AM
I notice that the OP did NOT go into the huge "Dark" and "Eerie" games? thread to insult/attack the fans of those type of games!

Yet we see the treatment those who voice dislike of those themes get,in their own created threads!

Anyone see any official posting by the BFG MODS anywhere saying there is a rule against how many times a topic may be brought up,and that Fishies new to the pond shall not be allowed to post their opinion on a topic that has been previously discussed?

I didn't think so!

To all new Fishies to the pond,you are free to IGNORE certain ones who think they are the self-appointed *POND POLICE* that chastise you for voicing your opinion!

You have just as much right to hope that the developers pay attention to your tastes as anyone else does,and don't let them make you feel that your tastes aren't just as VALID!

As long as you remain within the BFG TOS regarding the Forums they are the ones violating the TOS and should be reported,or at the least ignored for their total lack of courtesy and thinking their opinion is more worthy than that of those who disagree with them.

Do not be put off by such as them,and feel free to post,and WELCOME To the pond!

Edited on 06/29/2011 at 6:55:58 AM PST

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Jun 30, 11 8:49 PM
As has been pointed out, I'm new to BFG forums, so let me see if I understand.

Some people like games with "skulls, potions and items of the dark side." Others do not. (See Dancer22's post that started this thread.)

Some people believe these elements are "bad" or "evil" and should be banned. As far as I can tell, none of them have posted to this thread. I think MOST BFG customers disasgree. I think MOST want diversity. I think dvdiva expressed it best, "I'm just glad there's a wide variety of choices out there, for all types of people, of various interests and preferences." As far as I can see, everyone who has posted to this thread agrees.

Dancer22 went on to say, "Some games I did purchase had witchcraft items later in the game. I was disappointed." Later she suggested, "We should be WARNED of the content of the game."

Those who said, "Nobody makes you play these games" or "If you don't like these games don't play them" make an argument that works about 90% of the time, but doesn't direct address Dancer22's problem. Some suggested checking the walkthroughs and reviews, but others countered that would "spoil the fun." Some suggested warning labels. This was countered by Tailteann who labeled the idea as extremist and Pepper who pointed out that labeling objectionable material wouldn't work because there are so many different definitions of what is occult. I suggested expanding the description from one paragraph to two and perhaps giving definitions somewhere of the adjectives used like "spooky" or "dark," just like BFG gives definitions of LOL, HOG, and IMHO.

It seems to me that the issue is: When the description of the game, the screen shots, and the first few scenes viewed in the demo do not give a clue to potentially objectionable material later in the game, how can this be corrected so that users like Dancer22 are not disappointed?

[Post New]by horrorqueen99 on Jul 2, 11 9:52 PM
Witchcraft is not a cult any more than Christianity is. As a witch I take offense to you saying that.

Witchcraft has been around longer than most modern religions including Christianity. Most Christian rites are taken directly from witchcraft. Burning of incense, lighting of candles, using trees at Christmas any many more.

Glad you thing your religion is the end all be all, but you are a very very small minority in this world.

Edited on 07/04/2011 at 3:46:19 PM PST

Scottsteaux63
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by Scottsteaux63 on Dec 9, 11 10:07 AM
ducle wrote:I'm not in favor of censorship, and I don't dislike magic/fantasy games because they offend my religious beliefs. I just don't like them--I'm a very realistic person and don't even enjoy reading most fiction. That doesn't mean I would want to take those kinds of games away from anyone else. I'd find it hard to believe that anyone would be swayed to the dark side by playing a computer game unless that person was already well on the wa ythere. Anyway, to each his own. I was just expressing my personal preferences.

Forgive me for asking, but if you have such an aversion to fiction, what are you doing playing these games? They almost all have a storyline, and aside from a small handful of games (I believe there was at least one about Jack the Ripper), those storylines are just as fictional as any novel.

No offense intended; I just found your comment odd.

queenjanis
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by queenjanis on Dec 15, 11 9:06 AM
Oh Please, have a little imagination, I love these games, I like looking for the potions and mixing them. I love the magic, demons, angels, fairies, giants etc.These games are awesome, don't stop putting them out there.
If you don't like them don't buy them, leave them all for me !

queenjanis
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by queenjanis on Dec 15, 11 9:09 AM
horrorqueen99 wrote:Witchcraft is not a cult any more than Christianity is. As a witch I take offense to you saying that.

Witchcraft has been around longer than most modern religions including Christianity. Most Christian rites are taken directly from witchcraft. Burning of incense, lighting of candles, using trees at Christmas any many more.

Glad you thing your religion is the end all be all, but you are a very very small minority in this world.

Exactly right ! Don't try to push censorship here ! Bring on the ghosts and vampires !

Go to: