Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

Re:Black Circle: A Carol Reed Mystery

[Post New]by Misty40 on Feb 16, 10 7:01 PM
Gentlsong wrote:
Misty40 wrote:I've played The Color of Murder, East Side Story, and Time Stand Still and I've enjoyed them all. I'm really excited about Black Circle...LOL

Remedy is another one of the Carol Reed mysteries....maybe the first one?

There's also Hope Springs Eternal. I'd forgotten about those two...LOL.

wini1
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by wini1 on Feb 16, 10 9:38 PM
I agree with you ladygem6...I played it for 5 minutes and just couldn't get into it. I may try it again later after I see more reviews. They seem mixed on this one. Some like it and some hate it.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Feb 16, 10 11:26 PM
When I got to the Cotton address with my cleaning supplies and went in, I got a message that to go any farther, I would have to buy the game. I still had well over 30 minutes of the demo left. The message did say I could continue looking around the game, but I had been to every place on the map. This may be a good game but I will not know as I am not buying anything that I can not demo completely.

This is truly several thumbs down from me.

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on Feb 17, 10 12:36 AM
It gives me a headaches, round and round, I could not even find my headaches pills.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 17, 10 2:05 AM
Just finished and LOVED it!!!

[Post New]by rkeay1965 on Feb 17, 10 7:35 AM
This game is horrible!!

[Post New]by bltsandwich on Feb 17, 10 8:12 AM
yummylicks wrote:The game is pretty good in my opinion - however - I can't seem to be able to figure out how to use the mobil phone. Can I get some help please. : ) Thank you.

Hi Yummylicks!

To use the phone, click on it in your inventory. It will then show the zoomed in view of the phone with phone numbers you can call on the left. Just click on those numbers to call them. As you progress through the game, you may find more numbers so be sure to check back regularly!

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Feb 17, 10 10:51 AM
Is this made by the same people who made "Time Stand Still"? Because it seems to have the same actors/faces in some parts and the same scenes. (Oops... just read some other reviews. This is part of the same series. LOL Sorry!)

Anyway, I can't say I enjoyed this one... since I stopped the demo after only a few minutes and deleted it from my games. I just couldn't get into it at all. The music is repetitive, some of the people are rather strange looking, and I couldn't get into the story. Ah well... there are plenty more games to get!

Edited on 02/17/2010 at 10:53:35 AM PST

inkybitz
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by inkybitz on Feb 17, 10 2:28 PM
Oh dear me........my favourite kind of game is the mystery/puzzle HOG games ( love Return to Ravenhearst, Puppet Show and Dire Grove) and I thought this was going to be another favourite. How wrong could I be? The actors voices are so painful to listen to I had to turn the sound down and the game play is dull and tedious. I can't find anything good about this game and deleted it after 8 minutes. I'm so glad I tried the demo first.

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Feb 17, 10 6:13 PM
I am not sure about this game. I was going to delete it straightaway but I think I'll give it a few more minutes. I like how you can explore the apartment and building and the photos are different (though not sure I really like them). What gets me really is the voicework -- it sounds like it was recorded in an echoing hallway instead of a proper studio. There's just this reverberation going on that makes it sound really cheap. The different snapshots of people for each line is a bit icky, too.

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Feb 20, 10 6:45 PM
Welcome Rufus07

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Feb 27, 10 5:18 PM
Now I'm confused. When I arrived with my cleaning supplies and had to stop the demo, I was positive this wasn't the game for me. Then I read all the reviews, and even the walkthrough up to the point where the demo ends. I think I was trying to make it too hard. I looked through everything before realizing the notebook would give me hints. The problem was that I started the game and played for about 10 minutes then quit. A week later I finally finished but I had forgotten all about the notebook and hint system. I'm now going to look into the other Carol Reed Mystery games. I may decide this will be a fun series to play. My favorite large file game so far is Dracula Origin, which I tend to use as a marker for purchasing other LFG. I prefer the LFG's to let you know when you have completed a room or location.

I'm on the fence with this game right now.

Dittywah
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Dittywah on Feb 27, 10 5:21 PM
I so seldom do this as i am willing to try any adventure or hidden object game, but I deleted this one after about ten minutes. It seemed to have absolutely no redeeming features.

Edited on 02/27/2010 at 5:22:34 PM PST

ADTech
Herring
Herring
374 Posts

[Post New]by ADTech on Mar 6, 10 8:44 AM
It seems like you either love or hate this game. I hated it probably because none of these type of games appeal to me. I find them confusing with no clear objectives. I find I am dependant on the wlkthrough or stratedgy guide, it is kind of like assembling an appliance using an instruction manual. I am happy to hear that some of you really enjoyed it. This a perfect example of everyone having their own preferences in the type of games they play.

jenkast
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by jenkast on Mar 10, 10 8:43 PM
Wow what a wonderful game! I never even knew this series existed until this came out. The photographic scenes are breathtaking! I have been on here for over a year now, but have never been compeled to write in the forums, but I just had to with this game. I find it is a marvalous stress reliever after a long day of classes. I can only imagine haw hard it was to place these photographs to make a complete 360 degree scene. All together a very charming game.

I look forward to the next one.

cboz
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
4 Posts

[Post New]by cboz on May 22, 10 10:18 AM
for those who didn't like the game, because they think its boring and all.
The carol reed gamed are set up so u can think and figure out like a detective. not cartoonish like some of the others.
I love all the carol reed games, but this one did seem shorter, unless I'm getting better, and I'm not sure if i like the note book at the top to give u clues when u get stuck.. I was tempted to use it more than to just figure it out. Thats prob, why it went so fast.
big fan of these and nancy drew games. You have to think about what your doing and how to do it.

Spazn
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Spazn on May 31, 10 10:02 PM
I love the Carol Reed Mysteries. This is my Review for the Black Circle. I loved this one.

My first introduction to the Carol Reed Series began with East Side Story. Sadly, they didn't have the notebook back then and you really had to think hard to figure it out. Then again, that was part of the experience. Not your average ****-hum adventure.

In Black Circle, you are provided with a notebook for guiding you as to what you should do next without giving too much away. You still must think over the clues you have and use your head to figure out what must be done to achieve an objective. Sometimes it is fairly straight forward, other times, you just have to sit back and think things through.

Black Circle was excellent and finished with a great ending. I literally shrieked myself just as she does in the game.

I have read numerous criticisms regarding the storyline and plot; however, I found it most engaging and felt it was excellently done. I love the way history is weaved into the story. The still shots are so captivating and beautiful - especially the outdoors. One day I would love to visit and see the city first hand myself.

For some people, you may not quite pick up on the connections. If you are finding it difficult to connect the clues with the various characters and locations, then I highly recommend keeping a little notepad next to you so you can write down the names of the characters and then make little notes as to the clues you uncover. Try to play the part of detective. That's what it's all about. It is something like playing the game Clue. You are given tidbits of information and must simply piece it all together.

I felt this was one of the easiest Carol Reed adventures and completed it in only 5 hours. It was a slight bit disappointing that it was over so fast; however, I will admit, this may mostly be in part due to the fact that I have become familiar with how this game series operates as well as the fact that this one didn't seem nearly as tricky as previous releases. Furthermore, I found no tricky pointy arrows to locate either - which really made a huge difference. Previous releases are somewhat prone to this and you must really be on your toes while playing them.

I highly recommend this game to people who have patience, and for those who really enjoy a good mystery and don't mind taking notes from time to time. If you are the type that like to rush through, this is NOT the game for you.

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on May 31, 10 10:16 PM
Nice review, Spazn! Welcome to the forums!

tuskel
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by tuskel on Dec 21, 10 9:22 AM
I cannot figure out whether I love this game or not.

I love the graphics, but I am unsure about the changing peoples' photos. They disturb me a bit. Their voices are a bit unemotional, especially Carol's, and that is not good at all. Accents are funny to listen to, but distracting.

I kind of loved the creepy atmosphere, I kept thinking that people are going to jump out at me, like in the foundry or in the shrine. Maybe because I have played too many Nancy Drew games! I liked the way you really had to look for things, it wasn't just that the cursor changed or went red if you had found something, you really had to be alert and explore every bit of your surroundings. It was very tiring, though. The usual thing for me was to take a step, then look around in all directions, then take another step etc. And what is with the houses and flats in Sweden? They are like labyrinths! You go into a room and look around and suddenly there is another door behind a cupboard or sth!

Overall, a very good beautiful looking game with a great spooky story. I am definitely looking forward to the other ones, hopefully they will run on my computer!

kerli,
sincerely

P.S. Oh yeah, and I liked the music. Very atmospheric. Nice in flats and quite eerie in the spookier places. I frequently saved my game in one of the flats or houses just to have a nice place to start from again.

Edited on 12/21/2010 at 9:24:43 AM PST

Go to: