10/10 well said

lineck

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Re:No Skip no Buy

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Feb 19, 10 11:04 PM
Thanks. Now if only the developers would listen. Hey, BigFish...surely the publishers have some influence, here. It would be a huge help to us if you would include the "skip game" status in the game description BEFORE we even download....that and the average length of the game.

I know, you'll say, how could we possibly know the average length of game play? Easy. have ten testers play the game, add the time and divide by 10. Those 10 testers would be a blessing in the proofreading/testing/debugging thing too, and would eventually make BF the gold standard game site.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Feb 20, 10 1:19 AM
Skips make you lazy.

You don't get the same sense of achievement if you skip.

kithain
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by kithain on Feb 20, 10 6:17 AM
QEIII wrote:Skips make you lazy.

This is a personal preference, although it took me a long time to get to where using a hint or skipping a mini-game didn't feel like a personal failure to me. But over the years I've managed to convince myself that enjoyment, stress-release, and pleasure from the games I play are way more important to me than being perfect with my gameplay. Still, I understand why many people would want the challenge of working their way through all the mini-games, etc. I wonder how difficult it would be to create option settings in these games that would suit all levels of gamers? At the beginning of a game, the player would choose the options that would make the game ideal for themselves. The variable play options screen could address things like: Do you wish to be able to skip the mini-games?; How fast do you want the hint button to regenerate (this one would most likely come with preset options like 30 seconds, 2 minutes, etc.)? Do you wish to play timed mode or untimed mode (I know this option is already standard in many games)? Options like that would REALLY enhance players enjoyment, because it would allow the game to be enjoyed to the max by everyone. It's really hard to please everyone, but options like this would go a long way toward doing so. Game developers might consider this, if it doesn't add too much to the complexity of game creation. Just my thoughts.

kit

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Feb 20, 10 6:25 AM
kithain wrote:

This is a personal preference, although it took me a long time to get to where using a hint or skipping a mini-game didn't feel like a personal failure to me. But over the years I've managed to convince myself that enjoyment, stress-release, and pleasure from the games I play are way more important to me than being perfect with my gameplay. Still, I understand why many people would want the challenge of working their way through all the mini-games, etc. I wonder how difficult it would be to create option settings in these games that would suit all levels of gamers? At the beginning of a game, the player would choose the options that would make the game ideal for themselves. The variable play options screen could address things like: Do you wish to be able to skip the mini-games?; How fast do you want the hint button to regenerate (this one would most likely come with preset options like 30 seconds, 2 minutes, etc.)? Do you wish to play timed mode or untimed mode (I know this option is already standard in many games)? Options like that would REALLY enhance players enjoyment, because it would allow the game to be enjoyed to the max by everyone. It's really hard to please everyone, but options like this would go a long way toward doing so. Game developers might consider this, if it doesn't add too much to the complexity of game creation. Just my thoughts.

kit

Hi Kithain. Briliant suggestion. I concur completely - then those, like me, who like to try it all unaided, get to feel that elating sense of achievment and those that need a more relaxing sense of play can have it that way as well.
Kudos to you. Queenie

Edited on 02/20/2010 at 6:25:53 AM PST

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Feb 20, 10 12:38 PM
This is a little like one of those religious debates... those of you who think "skips make you lazy" seem to think that YOUR way is the only way, and everyone else should just do as you tell them.

If you don't want to use the skip, then don't use them.

I agree, I will eventually get thru the puzzle, but sometimes, I just don't want to. Sometimes, I specifically reserve puzzles so that I have something new to do the next time I play. Generally, when I have all the time in the world. I choose not to use any hints or skips CHOOSE. Operative word. Sometimes, time is limited, and I don't want to spend the next hour doing something I find stupid, or tedious, or boring, or annoying. Again, if it is MY game, and I paid for it, I should have the option to play it anyway I want.

I suspect that the biggest part of the problem here is that too many game developers are arrogant little 20-somethings, who believe that skips make you lazy and you should do things their way. I say this. Hold on tightly to that attitude...when you cant sell any games you will at least have that to give you some comfort.

Edited on 02/20/2010 at 12:39:21 PM PST

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Feb 20, 10 12:41 PM

If you are getting a sense of achievement from playing PC games, I would suggest that is part of the issue...many of us are not counting on HOGs to feel accomplished.

Edited on 02/20/2010 at 12:43:34 PM PST

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Feb 20, 10 2:14 PM
I will not buy it because of the pond game. I don't like Simon says puzzles anyway and that one was the most confusing one I've ever seen.

Solution seems simple to me. Put the skip in. For those of you who consider it a failure or lack of character to use it then gosh, darn don't use it. I don't think it is a game developers responsibility to keep me from being weak and giving in to use a hint or skip. I have enough will power if I truly do not want to use a hint or skip, then I won't regardless of the fact that it is there.

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Feb 20, 10 4:43 PM
Well said.

For those who find it a chest swelling accomplishment to have spent the last hour FINALLY pinning all the little wings on the fairies in the correct order to help Princess Nokia save Snuggleton from the Evil Dwarfs, then bask in your achievement. For me, it will be an hour that I will never get back.

I will take my sense of accomplishment (and neuronal development, thank you) from having gone back to medical school 25 years after my first degree....truly all the mental stimulation I need most days. From now on, I will check the forums, and if there is no SKIP, I will not buy...in fact, I will write down those game developers and quit downloading even the trials until they incorporate SKIP.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Feb 20, 10 5:07 PM
It seems that a poster who was of the opinion that leaving out skips was good for our mental development and that we should tolerate them for that reason has come back and deleted all her posts.

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Feb 20, 10 8:00 PM
Hmmmm.

[Post New]by dizbizbangle on Feb 21, 10 3:01 PM
You can add me to the no skip-no buy. I got as far as the grass with the circles and just spent too much time with it....i had 3 circles but nothing happened and i couldn't figure out why.

Finding the tiny butterflies that were just a small blur of color-really not fair but i did it. Did not want to even attempt anymore than I did because it was very irritating that you have to click to find things that are almost the same color as what u need to find and after 3 clicks the mouse pointer goes crazy....makes me sick to my stomach.

I must say that I'm really tired of spending the 6.99 each month and watching my game credits pile up with nothing worth spending them on. Sometimes I've bought a game just to use a credit and end up very dissatisfied. There are just thousands of posts on this forum that not only tell developers but explains it to them what things in a game make it a NO SALE....why don't they ever take them into consideration when making these games? Is it because they still sell enough that they don't care about the business they are losing? I really don't understand this at all.

concern
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by concern on Feb 22, 10 12:43 PM
I have to agree with you and I did not think I would do so. No skip NO buy at least
give me the option of a skip if I do not care for the pond circle game on that day.
I know you can not skip the minigames and feel a winner however there are days
when a skip of this pond game is good for most of us and today is that day for me.
I usually do not skip minis but today is the day and no where to go for walk through Do they know how much $$$$ we all spend on these games?
BFG wants you to spend at least $41.00 per month to get a "free" game
in 30 days! What happend to work? This is suppose to be for relaxiation,
Just my opinion today
sk

ETCO2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by ETCO2 on Feb 23, 10 2:37 PM
I am also finding the inability to skip things very frustrating. I'm fine w. memorizing the pattern, but can't quite figure out how they want me to repeat the pattern. Do I wait for the pattern to be played out & then click on each ripple of colors? Or do I wait for the color to go away before clicking on the ripple? I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do & can't go any further (as others have mentioned.)

I'm learning the things to look for in a game when I do the hour trial...and skips are one of them!

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Feb 23, 10 6:55 PM
The people have spoken...will BF listen?

MissB59
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by MissB59 on Feb 28, 10 10:47 AM
my skip issue wasn't so much the bricks or the pond .. I did have to do the bricks 3 times and the pond twice but got thru them .. the part I needto skip is the torches/lanterns .. where you have to put all of them out ..but you click one and the adjacent ones change too .. they give you a reset button but no skip button ?? what is up with that ? like it is going to make a difference if I start over ?? thinking not .. LOL .. anyway .. I was enjoying the game up to that point and thinking about buying it .. if they were to change it and add the skip button .. it would be a definite buy for me ..

ubydudy
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by ubydudy on Feb 28, 10 12:53 PM
Just because the skip option uis there doesn't mean you are "forced" to use it. But when you get 3/4 of the way thru a game, come to a puzzle that you just don't get and can't finish the game because you can't skip the stupid puzzle is enough to make you go to another game site.

I love BFG and don't buy anywhere else because of their customer service and the help you can get when you need it. But I sure get frustrated when there is a decent game like this and they spoil it by not letting you skip even with penalties.

Sorry; this will be a no buy for me.

ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by ihateshopping on Mar 2, 10 6:58 AM
Jeez people! It's not that hard. My account's not active right now, but I Googled and found plenty of help for things people are complaining about (this, the Brick Matching, Lion water spouts, Torch puzzles, etc.). Most people just wish the game was longer.

Just grab a piece of paper & pencil and mark them down (using numbers for however many there are) as they hit the water. They don't appear very fast so you have plenty of time to mark down the locations (someone else's suggestion, elsewhere).

Then, just click on them in the order they hit. It's not like a real Simon game where, once the color lights/sounds, it disappears. The rings stay showing so you know right where they are.

You can even go high-tech and use mini sticky notes; number them, slap them on your computer monitor and you have a map (another someone else's suggestion, elsewhere).

As for the Torch puzzles, Google for "Lights Out" (another person's suggestion, elsewhere). It was an electronic hand-held game made by Tiger Electronics.

Sorry to have to say this, but it sure sounds like there are a few people who won't play a game if it doesn't completely hold their hand all the way through. When I do reactivate my account, this definitely sounds like a game I'll want to buy. No skip button, no hand-holding, no super-easy puzzles; accomplishing challenges is SO satisfying.

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Mar 5, 10 6:39 AM
Well i was just about to DL the trial, but i don't think i will now. it looks really good (on the ad) but sounds like a bit of drama..
i never used to come on the forum before (or even during games for tips) and only just recently started reading up on games before buying...don't know why i haven't done this 20 games ago!! would have saved me some credits, in bad games!!

thanks for sharing your opinions!

Go to: