barregar
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,249 Posts

Re:Empress of the Deep: The Darkest Secret

[Post New]by barregar on Feb 20, 10 6:52 AM
I do agree the graphics are nice though a tad grainy, but in my opinion it cannot compare to the graphics of RTR, Puppetshow, or Dreamless (all very clear, sharp and beautiful). I also thought the latest game Tarot's Misfortune had nicer graphics, but that is just my personal opinion.

Like that it has many areas to navigate and the map is nice.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Feb 20, 10 7:02 AM
I've played half of the demo and love this game. I'm buying it!

Anniejo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,109 Posts

[Post New]by Anniejo on Feb 20, 10 7:03 AM
Finished it, absolutly brilliant

[Post New]by painteddragonfly on Feb 20, 10 7:13 AM
Loved it! Played the entire demo, and was so wrapped up in it, didn't think an hour had flown past! This is a keeper, will be purchasing it momentarily.

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Feb 20, 10 7:30 AM
I beta tested it 2 days ago and it's already out? Wow!!

The story is very original and captivating, and so are the characters. I like the "music box" kind of sounds. It's surreal, very appropriate for the atmosphere of the game. I really like the journal, it's easy to refer to. I also like the map and the clue sections. The gold star telling you that the area is complete is very handy. I really enjoyed exploring the multiple locations. The puzzles are challenging but not too hard. The skip option is a plus. I also enjoyed the HOs parts.

It's a buy for me.

Great game

Thank you

reejree
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by reejree on Feb 20, 10 7:36 AM
Beautiful!! Great Game!!
Thanks BF, your games are the best!

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Feb 20, 10 7:59 AM
Another fishie who is saying this is a great game. I, too, was looking for a bat and found it should have been a hat! That is my only complaint. Graphics are outstanding, loving the voice acting - I think I may have heard Anna's voice in another game. You just know that the little girl from the purple orbs is going to have some evil surprise up her sleeve .The hidden objects scenes are good and I am loving the different types of puzzles - always important to me. All in all, a top notch IHOG adventure - my favourite genre. A definite buy on March 1st. (hope I can wait that long A 5

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Feb 20, 10 8:07 AM
Warning - Some Spoilers

Mixed feelings for this overall very good game. What *could* have been stellar I feel has some flaws that knock it down several pegs.

Let me get the negatives out of the way: First off - it's short. Less than 2 hours for me, and that's with watching all cut scenes, reading the journal entries and enjoying the environments. I did skip 2 puzzles of a sort I particularly dislike after some feeble attempt. If I'd hacked away at these I would have increased play time obviously. Hidden objects were fairly easy and I only occasionally allowed myself a Hint which sped up my gameplay a bit, but not terribly. Another minus - worst idea in a mini-game ever - take a Spot the Difference, which many people tolerate and many down-right loath, and make you refer to a picture, close it, then look for differences. Another arbitrary complication for a hidden object scene - list the objects to find in a book by Latin name, then close the book and find. Again, random clicking time. Then in the glitch department the credits at the end are not skippable and when I was returned to Main Menu at the finish none of the buttons worked. I had to hit my Windows key and use Task Manager to close the game.

Now the good stuff - and there's plenty. The graphics are gorgeous if a bit grainy. I imagine that's to save size. Very reminiscent of Myst in vibe, even with some similar story elements. Music is very nice too. One BIG plus is each frame you move thru is marked complete as you finish what is needed so you know there is nothing else to search for there. This is much appreciated in an adventure games with lots of scenes and wandering to do. Another big plus is when you encounter a puzzle and can't figure it out if you have not yet collected what you need it tells you so when you hit Hint. Hints work as they should on workable puzzles too, telling you what to do, not just solving. There IS a skip if you want. I found the puzzles moderately challenging and enjoyable.

So my bottom line is one of slight frustration. Given more time in development and a bit more money maybe? I think this game could have been a first class offering. If it had been longer I would be more forgiving of the flaws. If it wasn't flawed I wouldn't mind the shortness. For me it's stumbles did not ruin it, but nor can I full on recommend it either.

(would have 2 thumbs up except for issues mentioned above)

Edited on 02/20/2010 at 8:23:29 AM PST

puzzlingmom77
Marlin
Marlin
8,539 Posts

[Post New]by puzzlingmom77 on Feb 20, 10 8:10 AM
Wow. Great game. Found my heart racing at the end!!!

[Post New]by snowflakesh on Feb 20, 10 8:14 AM
Good game, not as difficult as I would like but good just the same. Bought it right away!

[Post New]by Pinkfloydrules on Feb 20, 10 8:25 AM
Not a big player of casual games as they appear to be more for women than men. I bought the game for my wife (based on the cool graphics) and had to try it out. I was very surprised to find puzzles that are science based. (LOVED THAT aspect of the game). What's with those flowers though? The graphics are as good as some of those box games. Great surprise ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope Silverback releases a sequel, sans flowers.

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Feb 20, 10 9:30 AM
OMGZ! I want this one now, these reviews are all wonderful. But I have to wait until March 1st for my credit ....unless it becomes a DD before then, lol.

kithain
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by kithain on Feb 20, 10 10:11 AM
IMO an average game. Beautiful, crisp graphics- that is, until you get to a hidden object scene. Then the graphics are deliberately fuzzy with lots of shadows and shadings that the game developers used to camouflage the objects you are seeking. In a good game such as Dire Grove, RTR or Nightfall Mysteries, I almolst never make use of the hint button to find objects. In this game I used it at least once in every hidden object scene. That, plus lack of clear directions for some of the puzzles are some of the major 'cons' of this game. Also, you do a LOT of backtracking while moving from one area to another trying to complete the game objectives. I would also have liked to see more hidden object scenes. The ratio of interactive/ HOGs was a bit skewed, IMO.

On the 'pro' side, as I said, beautiful graphics, decent storyline, and easy navigation. Also, once an area is cleared, a star icon appears in the top left of the screen stating this. VERY helpful in getting through the game. On a scale of 10, I'd rate this a 5 or 6. It's decent, not outstanding. If the HOGs generate new object lists with each new game, that will increase replay value for me and increase my appreciation of this visually gorgeous game.

kit

Edited on 02/20/2010 at 10:16:45 AM PST

[Post New]by Coronagold on Feb 20, 10 10:13 AM
I knew I was going to buy it after 5 minutes of the demo. Great graphics and story. Nice to see surreal gameplay that doesn't involve tarot cards, astronomy, witchcraft, alchemy, etc. Just good vs bad. I had a feeling that kid was off, but then later I started to trust a little. Trippy. I never realized the biiiig arrows can be turned off, as per that previous post somewhere above this one.

kithain
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by kithain on Feb 20, 10 10:15 AM
Poodlebear wrote:Warning - Some Spoilers

Then in the glitch department the credits at the end are not skippable and when I was returned to Main Menu at the finish none of the buttons worked. I had to hit my Windows key and use Task Manager to close the game.

Poodlebear, I had this same problem. I had to use task manager as well, and at first, I wasn't sure even that would work, as each time I tried to select "end program" the menu screen of the game would pop back up. Very frustrating.

kit

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Feb 20, 10 10:36 AM
Very nice game. Good story, puzzles and interactive play. Voices are great, background music acceptable. Overall, would recommend this game to anyone.

dogfish12
Stingray
Stingray
4,579 Posts

[Post New]by dogfish12 on Feb 20, 10 10:41 AM
Found this to thrill me in the graphics department, easy enough for relaxing play for those of us that game for that reason. Bought it after the first 10 min of demo-I usually know in that period of time if I am interested or not-and look forward to finishing. Nice job.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Feb 20, 10 11:10 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:

...[b]Beware, Madame Fate - here comes the competition

Seriously? Are you high?? lol....in my opinion this doesn't even come close to a MCF game. The hidden object scenes are so fuzzy it gave me a headache after 10 mins.

Glad you enjoyed it, glad so many ppl here do, but I didn't. No buy for me.

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Feb 20, 10 12:33 PM
Coronagold wrote:I knew I was going to buy it after 5 minutes of the demo. Great graphics and story. Nice to see surreal gameplay that doesn't involve tarot cards, astronomy, witchcraft, alchemy, etc. Just good vs bad. I had a feeling that kid was off, but then later I started to trust a little. Trippy. I never realized the biiiig arrows can be turned off, as per that previous post somewhere above this one.

Astronomy is not magic but the scientific study of the universe and the objects in it, including stars, planets, nebulae, and galaxies. It includes subjects ranging from cosmology to astrophysics. I wish there were some games with astronomy as a factor. That would be awesome, maybe now that National Geographic is making games we'll see one.

On the other hand, more games with fantasy occult themes are fine with me though. I love them.

azmesa340
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by azmesa340 on Feb 20, 10 2:16 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed this - no problems at all.

Go to: