wrath6
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

Re:Secret Mission: The Forgotten Island - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by wrath6 on Feb 27, 10 2:47 PM
First, i must say that i love the comments and reviews section - no more asking questions about what to do in the game

secondly, i enjoyed this game - it had the rigth mixture of HOG and adventure, the puzzles were not to hard to figure out, also like being able to chose between easy and hard. i played on hard - just the right amount of directions - didnt know you could collect quartz for hints but finally realized. i have not finished the game so can not comment on length.

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Feb 27, 10 6:22 PM
I just finished and I enjoyed every minute of it. Wow! Gorgeous graphics, clear and crisp, lots of areas to explore ( IT), going back and forth to get items you had no access to the first time ( IT), HOs, puzzles (hard enough, thank you), even the story was interesting, unexpected to me. I am sure the replay has value since I closed the game; when I got back, for whatever reason my progress had not been saved so I had to start over a couple areas and the HOs were different.

Short side but so much fun . Don't ask how long it took me I have no clue.

Who did the walk-through? Can't see the name. I wanted to thank her/him having used it twice for harder puzzles.

Thanks

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Feb 28, 10 4:51 AM
On the fence. Demo'd in EZ mode & only had 2 levels left by close. The further along, the wickeder the puzzles became & if the skip loaded that slowly in EZ I shudder to think how long it takes in Hard if there is one at all. 3rd game this wk w/ intrepid adventure girl marooned on island....'sup w/ that? Graphix brightness could be adjusted (more devs should option that) & were decent, custom cursor worked OK, navigation w/ map was excellent w/ no aimless wandering b/c it told you which areas you could ignore. Music unobtrusive, random click penalty the usual floaty cursor. Hints had to be found but were plentiful at 2 per HOs scene & were really not needed at all in EZ mode, another reason I'm on the fence. The HOs scenes didn't have a lot of items to be found so I wonder about it having ability to be much different on replay or in Hard, esp as a lot were req for interactive bits. Finding the same islandy HOs constantly (butterflies, lizards, bugs, shells, birds, pineapples) got old pretty fast.

I did enjoy the storyline but the historian in me rebelled at the devs' total ignorance of the timeframe they were trying to portray. She said 13th-14th century & the captain stated he was sent from England to hunt the fabled passage to the Indies; well, in the 1300s there was that whole Hundred Years' War going on w/ France, & in the 1400s there was that internecine Wars of the Roses. The 1st English explorer was John Cabot, who wasn't sent out by Henry VII until 1498, well after the Spanish, Dutch, & Portugeuse had established their New World supremacy, & that doesn't jive w/ Columbus's report of a "disappearing island" that prompted her flight to the Bermuda Triangle as he was dusted w/ exploration by then. Did they think 1492 was the 14th century instead of the 15th? The captain's garb was more 18th century than the purported 13th-14th. How hard is it to look stuff like this up? If you're going to attempt a period piece, do it right. This wasn't close, way too many inconsistencies.

I think of the 3 similarly-themed HOGs this wk, this one was in the middle w/ Pathfinders slightly better & Lost Island a lost cause LOL Props for the few innovative ideas in this one, tho.

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Feb 28, 10 4:34 PM
veramente un gran bel gioco,grafica molto chiara ,enigmi divertenti e di buona difficoltà...consiglio il gioco...è sicuramente interessante per tutti...

reedsteve
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by reedsteve on Feb 28, 10 4:52 PM
Played 5 minutes of it and this is a keeper. FINALLY -- a good game with crisp, widescreen graphics and it's not one of those creepy halloween-ish games.

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Feb 28, 10 5:46 PM
Ok...you have all convinced me!! sounds great, off to download now, and hopefully have an enjoyable adventure this afternoon!

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Feb 28, 10 6:04 PM
I think of the 3 similarly-themed HOGs this wk, this one was in the middle w/ Pathfinders slightly better & Lost Island a lost cause LOL

That is so funny It's the opposite to me. I thought Lost Island was the best of the three, with Secret Mission in the middle and Pathfinders completely H0-HUM. The junk piles in Pathfinders nearly hurt my eyes, they were so messy.

Ah well, to each his or her own!

I will buy this one at some point because it's one my husband will enjoy, as well

Edited on 02/28/2010 at 6:17:30 PM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Feb 28, 10 6:08 PM
Scarlet, takes a stretch, but don't forget the Vikings and whoever reached the rivers in Oklahoma leaving runestones along the Poteau River way before Columbus. That would be a good mystery with many unknown historical facts. But your poinst is well taken.

This game was a real pleasure just when I thought I was tired of islands and magic stories. I found it much more of a challenge than expected by the items to be found. May be same trite items as in words, and clip art, but this was full of the artists' renditions of them which were a bit harder to spot. That added to the challenge for me and I liked the original art that didn't look like what my own mind's visuals were looking for.

At last, a map showing me where I didn't have to waste time wandering around and just jump here and there to search some more. Getting lost or my poor memory is my greatest frustration on ihogs and "adventuring".

A few times on puzzles I could tell at one glance was going to be a time waster for me it was quicker to peek at the WT for solution and click on pieces than wait for the skip to fill up. I think if you playlike you played them then they are unlocked to play later (?) or may be the other, Pathfinders. I liked both games and now get them mixed up. Both had originally rendered items so not clones.

I may have had at least 20 hints left over playing on Easy first time. Would have been more but not needed I quit looking for them. I'm playing again on my laptop after finishing on the pc...Had just done the demo just to see if it runs good. I think I'll go back and start on Harder version. I just needed 2 games to fill my second card so was so happy to find these 2 new hogs just my speed. (which is slow LOL)

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Feb 28, 10 6:09 PM
One of the best games I've played! Great imagination, wonderful graphics, fun games, some I had to skip but will go back and try them again. I was in too muchof a hurry to see the next scene. They just took my breath away they were so fantastic, Thankyou BGF, you made my weekend exact, and I didn't need the walkthrough!!

Edited on 02/28/2010 at 6:12:27 PM PST

mmerv
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by mmerv on Feb 28, 10 9:51 PM
Here I go. First time for everything. Been around a year now and never felt like commenting til now. This is a fantastic IHOG. Kept me interested from the go and felt like I just had to keep going and finish. Well done.

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Mar 1, 10 6:28 AM
just finished the hr trial. and unfortunately i will not be buying this game. i did play on easy mode, and it was very easy!! i don't think you had to actually think for yourself as all was shown as to what to do.
Nice graphics, and a few different areas to discover, but a few to many of the hidden object games, and the same ones over, gets a bit tedious.
maybe if i had played in hard mode, would have been different? or it could be that i am playing MCF dire grove, and i have the now set the bar too high??

If you are looking for a nice relaxing game, with nice pretty graphics, then this is probably for you!

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Mar 1, 10 1:23 PM
Yawn! This is sadly not the best of the bunch. I disliked how you could only do one object build at a time. And I found the game slow and boring. Sad to say, this is not one I would list as a keeper.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Mar 3, 10 11:54 PM
This was fun but pretty easy. The puzzles were sometimes challenging but not riveting. Too short of a game for my taste. The graphics were pretty and hopping around was easy and fun. I enjoyed this game very much.

BabyNurse123
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by BabyNurse123 on Mar 4, 10 5:19 AM
Beautiful graphics, interesting story line. I used a credit to purchase this game and am glad I did. I only have one complaint; the instructions on some of the puzzles are difficult to understand, which meant I had to skip some of them. Other than that, it's a winner in my book

Charleen
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by Charleen on Mar 4, 10 1:12 PM
This is a very cool game. I loved the puzzles This is a game I could play lots of times. Big Fish rocks again
Thank You
Charleen

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Mar 4, 10 9:07 PM
just finished the game - took me a couple of days of playing- off and on (on the hard mode) to do the game, but then I had about 4 games on the go at the same time. really enjoyed it. Great game! graphics were bright and clear and story line was pretty good. no glitches or anything.

I still have a few games on the go - I like to have several different games on the go at the same time - but already looking for more IHOGS (got 3 credits burning a hole in my pocket !!)

[Post New]by Bethem38 on Mar 7, 10 9:14 AM
Just about the prettiest game I have ever played. I love it!

The map is a great idea.

Beth

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Mar 7, 10 4:06 PM
Poodlebear and puzzledone, I just want to thank you for yet more great reviews!! I have a much easier time deciding about a game just by reading your reviews. You both are a real asset to !! I think they should hire you as full-time game reviewers!

grover3e
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by grover3e on Mar 8, 10 7:08 AM
I'm a little surprised at all the love for this game. The HOG puzzles were incredibly easy, the story was a bit "blah" and the whole thing seemed like a good-but-not-great effort. I played my trial, but didn't buy. Two stars of five.

Edited to say that I played on "hard", lest anyone think that I made it too easy myself!

Edited on 03/08/2010 at 7:09:28 AM PST

jeannieD
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by jeannieD on Mar 9, 10 12:45 PM
My Dearest Poodlebear, I'll have you know that I am buying this game only after it is "Poodlebear Approved"! Much like most all of the games I have purchased from BFG. I would like to send a LOOONNNNGGG overdo HUGS and KISSES to you Poodlebear, for all of your helpful, and right on reviews.
THANK you Poodlebear.

Go to: