Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

Re:Your comments and reviews for Apparitions: Kotsmine Hills!

[Post New]by Mistickel on Mar 12, 10 1:49 AM
I liked the story and the flow was good. I liked that this game had some new interesting things to do and some new tools to use. I didnt like that there were so many rooms that used the flashlight. The graphics were pretty good except a few bad pictures or items too small in each scene. I will buy it if it's ever a Daily Deal.

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

[Post New]by cche on Mar 13, 10 3:12 AM
Played about 40 minutes, completiing 2 and a quarter of what I will call chapters; structure seems to be dialog; set of 3 flashlight H O, one "special" H O, one minigame. I am not sure how many chapters there are. Didn't find a walkthrough to check, and I certainly am not motivated to find out by playing!

Graphics OK; scene lighting via flashlight varies from top to bottom of screen which just feels wierd, as you would expect the brightness to vary with distance to what you are trying to see, rather than where it is on the screen. There are the usual issues with language translation I think. I had to do a bit of guessing what is meant by "ladle" for example. Not overly difficult on the whole. The Special uses different mechanisms to do seek and find. Also generally poorly done. Either you are just scanning your cursor over the screen to until the right number comes up, or you are doing a standard H O search with a blurrometer.

Hints are easy to come by, 3 supplied at start, and two more available in each H O screen (ghostly faces). I didn't need any.

Scoring system is annoying rather than motivating as well. It was not clear to me where there is a time element to the calculation. H O searches got me around 250 points including found faces which are said to add a bonus.

Music very poor. A single clip about 20 seconds long, repeated (as Herb Caen would have said) "ad infinauseum".

The two minigames I dealt with were more annoying than puzzling. Clickity click to get rid of roaches: my score? 0 of course. Then a badly designed "Mastermind" puzzle. My score again 0. Oh well.

Story OK, dialog sequences are easy to deal with. Animations are "why bother".

Over all, this could have been a decent game, but it isn't; sorry! Perhaps the problem is that it is too realistic! I would not be surprised if an infrared scanner really does seem like a blurometer to the uninitiated! 2.0 on my scale of 10. Just might buy it at $0.99, if I happen to be bored that day.

JeannieO
Catfish
Catfish
1,663 Posts

[Post New]by JeannieO on Mar 15, 10 1:50 PM
I put off doing the demo on this game for a few days as I wanted to give it my best and not be overly influenced by reviews.

With that being said I played it and tried my best to find something to grab me WELL I think one of the ghost's stole my mouse and pinched my leg but other than that LOL SORRY guys
this is just so lame and can I say CUT THE LIGHTS ON SOMEONE PLEASE....LOL

I am not chasing cockroaches with flyswatters UGGG Ok I just don't get this one had potential it did but totally bombed for me.

Happy gaming all

carolwst
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by carolwst on Mar 28, 10 4:33 AM
Mostly agree with all - too dark - 1 or 2 flashlight scene are tolerable but every one (so far) - and apparition finder - the objects didn't even all follow the color rules outlined.
Mini games not that good either - kill the roach - no skill needed
Pass and pass - not even for a DD.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on May 29, 10 6:39 PM
The following comments are based solely on the demo:

Apparently I liked this better than most people did. The flashlight scenes were a bit frustrating, but I found them playable for the most part - it just took longer to scan every section of the room. My biggest gripe was the limited amount of hints you had. I hate that set up because I'm always afraid I'm not going to recognize/be able to locate several items and be left just sitting there hunting for something I absolutely cannot find. If they were determined to limit the number of hints, I wish they would have at least allowed you collect the ghosts and store them as hints rather than converting them to points if you already had three hint icons. That was frustrating. Because of that, this game goes on my "Maybe Someday" list instead of my "Absolutely Must Have" one. I like to avoid frustration as much as possible when I play games.

Edited on 05/29/2010 at 6:40:50 PM PST

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 17, 11 1:36 PM
Seems to be a fun game. Neat story, and lots of twists on hidden object scenes. Has some dark rooms with flashlights, but that's not so bad because it lets you focus on smaller areas. I like the hint system, and often started off noting where the hint icons were, and then using one as soon as I used a hint. As was said earlier though, it'd be nice to stock up extra hints beyond 3, but it wasn't game-breaking as hints weren't awfully difficult to come by.

notdeadyet
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by notdeadyet on Mar 19, 12 8:46 PM
I enjoy this game even though the dark rooms are a bit hard on aging eyes. I assume the darkness is appropriate for rooms where ghosts might be. You could allow a few more clues per scene however,4 or 5.
I am 65 and this darkness makes it difficult for aging eyes to readily find something.

Go to: