Cranky_B
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Cranky_B on Mar 11, 10 9:35 AM
Syrenia wrote:I would like to know more about the "novels." Are they actual full length stories, or just a 10 page short story?

Are the novels worth purchasing the CE? Has anyone purchased the CE and read the novels?

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Mar 11, 10 9:36 AM
Oh, and add me to Oldbay's response to Saturnmiss, too, on the CE's in general. Personally, I look at them as an opportunity, period. If they're not your bag, ignore them, if they are , then whenever one comes out that's up your alley, you've had a plus added to your day.

[Post New]by bgegbg518839 on Mar 11, 10 9:42 AM
Great Game enjoy having to dash back and forth to finish chapters. Music easy on the ear not annoying. Hooked in the first 5 minutes. Well done BFG better and better enjoy this darker side to the game, keep up the good work.

[Post New]by cnmenard on Mar 11, 10 9:42 AM
i got to chapter 10 in an hour..so no way after learning it's only 14 chapters am i gonna pay the ce price for it..it's a great game though

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Mar 11, 10 9:43 AM
I seem to keep reappearing here today like a jack-in-the-box, but I noticed that a few were asking about the length of the novels. I just thought I'd add that novels per se take very little space, even for a long, "thick" novel, on computer files. You can fit a really good read into a file that still has a tiny "footprint".

Ukiah
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by Ukiah on Mar 11, 10 9:47 AM
I agree with just about everyone's comments about the game. This is my very favorite sort of game and the demo hour seemed to go away in a snap. I was somewhere in the 3rd chapter at the end of the demo, and there are 14 chapters, so for me this should be a 5-6 hour game.

My only quibble is that I don't like having to pull my monitor towards me to try to find items in the dark areas, since the way the light hits the monitor affects whether I can see to that tiny level of detail. I mentally deduct one point from my overall opinion of games that do that (and I grant one point to games that make me smack myself upside the head when what I couldn't find was cleverly hidden, but obvious once you see it).

Overall this is a good game, although I will wait until the regular version comes out to purchase.

Ukiah

Edited on 03/11/2010 at 9:49:54 AM PST

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Mar 11, 10 9:51 AM
I finally got the game to download after 8+ hours of trying. I really liked the game, got to Chapter 4, so it'll take me a few more hours to finish. I won't buy the CE version, though. I was too focused on what I was doing to notice the morphing items most of the time, so although it's nice, I don't need it.

Now, having to wait 2-3 weeks for the regular version -- grrrr!

GoveGirl
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by GoveGirl on Mar 11, 10 9:53 AM
About the "novels"- the longest one is about 24 paragraphs. Some of those paragraphs are one sentence.
That should give some idea

BoboKat
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by BoboKat on Mar 11, 10 9:54 AM
I really enjoyed this game! Finally something to put your teeth into! What took them so long? I liked the puzzles and the scenes were fairly clear but you still really had to look.
I got most of the way thru' Chapter 4 in demo and was stunned when demo ended; I was that caught up I didn't notice hour went by; what does that tell you about game?
My only criticism is that the "inspect" screen or picture was kinda small and I had a hard tiime trying to find out where to go to continue.
Overall, this game is a buy but not the CE; not enough pennies.
I'll have to wait for regular version but really enjoyed the hour!

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Mar 11, 10 10:04 AM
It took several tries to get it to download, but it was well worth the wait. As soon as I began playing, I realized this was a game I had beta tested quite a while ago. I love it! It is complex without being over-complicated. There is no timer, the mini-games can be skipped with only the penalty of your hint being frozen for five minutes, the graphics are utterly astounding, the music is perfect, the voice acting is very good, and the hint system is great. There is absoulutely nothing to dislike with this game. I will, however, wait to try the regular version before I decide whether to buy the CE; but that is strictly a matter of economics.

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Mar 11, 10 10:06 AM
The game downloaded and played perfectly for me. Really enjoy the game and ended up buying it.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Mar 11, 10 10:09 AM
I got to finally DL and play. The hr flew by. Got to chapter 4. I really like this game but worried I'll fly thru it. For $20.00 I want to spend a long time on it. Will have to think on it for awhile.

Edited on 03/11/2010 at 10:31:58 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 11, 10 10:12 AM
Ukiah wrote:
My only quibble is that I don't like having to pull my monitor towards me to try to find items in the dark areas, since the way the light hits the monitor affects whether I can see to that tiny level of detail.
Ukiah

Change the Gamma to 1.45, and all the screens will be bright as in day light.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Mar 11, 10 11:33 AM
Finally got the game to download. Got to Chapter 4 in the demo hour, not playing too quickly or too slowly. Lovely graphics, good music, great story, mini-games/puzzles are interesting and nice. I like the FROG aspect as long as I know what the pieces I'm finding are for. (I dislike the Treasure Seakers games because when I found a part of something, I had a hard time at first figuring out what it went.) I don't mind the to-and-fro aspect. the scenes were a little dark for me, but I just clicked all around and found most of the pieces. However, if you randomly click too quickly, the curser changes to a pretty symbol and freezes.
Like many, I will probably wait for the regular version due to finances. There have been too many CEs coming out, and I hope that it is not at the expense of other HOG games. I still have a credit from last month, and my monthly credit will be here soon, so I am still waiting for the other HOGs that have been mentioned in the blog.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Mar 11, 10 11:37 AM
krissywillow wrote:
rlk0045 wrote:The complaints would stop if the CE version and regular version of the games were offered on the same day.

ITA.

That's not going to happen. BF makes their money off of CE. They couldn't if both were offered together.

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Mar 11, 10 11:41 AM
I too was somewhere into chapter 3 after the trial. I was a little concerned after reading that someone finished within 3 hours, with breaks, but then I read that there were 14 chapters so I think it'll be way more than 5+ for me.
IMO Blue Tea Games did a fantastic job with this one. It's kind of a mix between Dire Grove, Treasure Seekers, and Magic Encyclopedia. I am still not sure if I prefer real HOs over finding parts though. Morphing items are a plus for me.
Graphics are stunning, music is lovely, story line is good. Puzzles are a bit on the hard side; I had to skip one. So far I give it 5 .
Now the big question is: do I get the CE? I decided to wait for the regular version of Treasure Seekers but this one is really hard to pass by.

carolwooden
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by carolwooden on Mar 11, 10 12:19 PM
What a great game! Not too hard nor too easy, new paths just keep popping up, each one more intriguing than before. If I wasn't too pooped out from playing 3 hours straight I'd have continued but it wouldn't be as much fun if you are tired and hungry.

The graphics, storyline, music - all first class.

Game guys, take note. We need more games like this. Keep up the good work. This game is well worth the money and don't forget, you get 3 game credits with this one.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Mar 11, 10 12:32 PM
cnmenard wrote:i got to chapter 10 in an hour..so no way after learning it's only 14 chapters am i gonna pay the ce price for it..it's a great game though

You play that fast? Is there an Evelyn Wood School of Speed Game Playing?!

In 50 minutes of the demo, I have begun Chapter 4. I'm taking my time and have enjoyed every single bit of the game. The puzzles are somewhat challenging thus far and the graphics are incredibly good. Game play has been fluid and I've used the Hint a couple times for objects too dark for these middle-aged eye's with computer lenses to locate. The storyline, music, character voices... incredibly well put together and perfect application. And I'm playing slow enough to notice the curses that need removed. Objects changing ever so slightly that they're easy to overlook.

Will I purchase the CE? Probably so with this game. I'd like the opportunity to play the areas unattainable unless you do. That's how attracted I am to the game. Which doesn't happen all that often for me.

Edited on 03/11/2010 at 12:33:00 PM PST

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Mar 11, 10 12:44 PM
Yup, Tried demo. Yup, great game! Yup to everything everybody said good about this game. Yup bought it.
Dr.good

[Post New]by cynthiajean56 on Mar 11, 10 1:28 PM
I've played for 40 minutes (no problem downloading). I'd like to be assured of more game play and different bonuses or something to warrant the CE price. I don't mind the price so much, but having the strategy guide handy is not enough to get me to swing the money. You can minimize and go to Gamezebo for the guide then mini that until you need it again. That's not so inconvenient as the 3x the extra cost. I did enjoy the game and the story is what keeps me playing. I have Windows 7 and so far most games won't play full screen this one included. Definitely not worth the extra money yet. BF has offered suggestions how to fix screen, but nothing has worked so far.

Go to: