Re:Comments and Reviews for It's all about masks

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Mar 15, 10 11:44 AM
Game had potential, but I found it too boring.

woodentot
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,391 Posts

[Post New]by woodentot on Mar 15, 10 1:45 PM
Until I had to repeat the needlepoint puzzle, I was going to buy this game. I thought there was something else to find in that room. Yes, different objects that was O.K. but I didn't want the **** needlepoint again. Sorry, I will leave it on my PC for a while and see if an update is made available.

gemini4fun
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,083 Posts

[Post New]by gemini4fun on Mar 15, 10 3:56 PM
I am in the minority also. I liked the game. Yes, the music could be better. Other than that, my computer is 2005 with XP. I did not have any problems with this game. I will say that I recently updated my drivers and video card. I also have cleared all my games off until my DDIL puts in my new memory card.
I did like the one room with all the "clews", because I thought it was very tricky of them the way the sunlight kept getting brighter and dimmer. That was a clever touch. I got as far as the embroidery puzzle and into the next room, before the demo was up. I take things slower now that I'm older. I may buy this one to finish off my punch card for the month. Then again, may wait to see if anything more appealing to my taste, comes along.

lexi4
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by lexi4 on Mar 15, 10 4:31 PM
Thank you all. Straight HOGS don't hold my attention either. You saved me the time and trouble.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Mar 15, 10 4:35 PM
I really liked it! Great graphics, all hidden items relevant and to scale. It reminded me of Death on the Nile and Serpent of Isis, having to search everyone's rooms to solve the mystery I got to the lockpick puzzle and am off to check w/t for length so I can decide whether to buy.

4/5 so far, as a straight-up good ol' fashioned HOG goes.

[Post New]by msflair500 on Mar 15, 10 5:48 PM
The game is frozen and I cannot finish it - tried all the tech. stuff, but no luck. Very disappointing and a little disgusting.

Masanders
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by Masanders on Mar 15, 10 11:30 PM
If you are frozen at the point where Mr. Cunning is about to hand out the masks, and there is a glowing yellow circle around Mr. Cunning, simply give him the proper mask and the game will proceed. I hope this works for you. It did for me (and I feel pretty dang foolish for not figuring it out sooner.)

mikedog
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by mikedog on Mar 16, 10 6:40 AM
WanderingPenguin wrote:
EcclesCakes wrote:After the needlepoint puzzle, you get about 5 rooms to visit. Unfortunately, even after completing one or two of those, if you exit the game for a break and come back, you come back to the beginning of the darn needlepoint puzzle! Tried it twice and the same thing happened. That makes it a no sale for me, I'm afraid.

Eccles Cakes

I completely agree with your comment. We didn't even exit the game and had the same problem. We solved the needlepoint puzzle, but found that the room was not completed, so we re-entered it. After (again) finding all the hidden objects, we were asked to help the lady with her needlepoint. So we clicked on the sampler again and the exact same puzzle appeared on our screen to be solved from the beginning a second time. Not good.

We also had a problem with ambiguity in several scenes. For example, in one scene they asked us to find a "stamp" and we clicked on more than one kind of "stamp" before we found the one they wanted. This is a pet peeve of mine in HOGs.

Will not be buying; in fact, didn't complete the demo.

mikedog
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by mikedog on Mar 16, 10 6:42 AM
I had the same problem several others mentioned with going back to the embroidery screen every time I exit the game. Unfortunately, I had already purchased the game before I discovered this glitch. It seems like a good game (I like HOG) but I've done that silly embroidery puzzle twice and I don't want to keep doing it! What now?

Edited on 03/16/2010 at 6:43:02 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 16, 10 10:43 AM
Not a hog that hold really my interest. Uninteresting storyline, only one room after another to search. The graphic is good. I won`t buy this game, its boring.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Mar 16, 10 11:00 AM
I really ENJOY playing a straight-up HOG, some of my favorites are, the first, Return to Ravenhurst, Prime Suspects and Huntsville.
I'm sure I would have purchased this game, if it didn't have so many issues, mine froze on the puzzle box, and I had to use the escape button to get out of the game.
I read about older computers having problems, but I have WindowsXP and my computer is only 3 yrs old, so if that is considered old, than I guess I will have a problem, because I can't afford a new one..lol!
I really want to give this game a try, so I am hoping BF will get a new build soon, for those of us, who can't play, my video card drivers are up to date, along with my DirectX, and after reading the tech post, it looks like a lot of people had bugs/glitches, besides just the puzzle box bug.
I'll leave it in my game manager, for a few more days, before trashing it, some times BF will just get an update to download, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Hmmmm.....waiting patiently isn't my strong suit, but I'm trying my best here.
Usually I am buying games almost everyday, but there hasn't been much this month, that is worth buying, for me anyway .

[Post New]by jake08 on Mar 16, 10 1:32 PM
The game was good, but when I got to the scene where the masks were to be handed out- everything froze up. I bought this game and feel I wasted my money.I tried everything to fix the problem, but no dice. It"s not my computer because all was good until then.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Mar 17, 10 11:35 PM
I remember when a HOG had y'all jumping up & down & queueing up to empty your wallets....now b/c it doesn't have a passel of whistles & bells, there's little interest?

This is the 1st game I've played in like a month that I'd consider getting. Loved the Victorian Gothic Revival & baroque room scenes & didn't find them dark at all. The music & sounds were OK, hint reloaded quickly, tho I wish skip buttons would become instant gratifcation standard rather than waiting on them to load. No way was I getting that embroidery puzzle done, tho kudos to the devs for innovation. All the mingames, even if they were a variation on stuff we've seen b4, had some sort of little twist to them to freshen them up. LOL'ing @ Mr Cunning, clever name for a detective. This did put me in mind of some of my fav games, like Dr Lynch, Murder Among Friends, the Agatha Christies. With the plethora of HOs, it seems like it would have good replay value, esp as you don't need to collect a slew of inventory items to progress. I thought some of them were very well hidden & I did resort to hints, like w/ that broom where all you could see was the handle & a smidge of bristle covered up by the table in front of it. Wondering if anyone finished & how long it turned out to be? I was up to assembling the note found in Rachel Hampton's cabin when the demo ended. I liked that there weren't a ton of stupid & useless cut scenes & the dialogue was the minimum needed to advance the storyline. Those of you who roll your eyes at yet another murder should be pleased that this mystery is merely missing documents w/ no corpse stumbling (well, not yet, who knows what's to come). This is the 1st thing on my maybe list in WEEKS w/ the carp HOGs we've had come out! Unless there's a lot of good DDs I won't even get a freebie this month b/c there's been nothing worth releasing the hold on my credits for. This one is a good possibility for getting me to part w/ one.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 18, 10 5:25 AM
I just posted my comments on another thread, Straight HOG, which it really isn't. Altho it was reminiscent of my first love Huntsville, bright, colorful, beautiful scenes, I like the improvements. Like, no timer, more player friendly, and even more challenging with some clever placement along with easy ones. Semi-junkpiles give a good challenge decluttering the scenes to see more things. All the early MCFs had them but inviting. Hints unlimited, so no replaying same scenes if you aren't fast enough.

Just made me a bit nostalgic for what drew most of us in til we got smarter than the devs and started making demands for more difficulty. So some players may get bored, but many of these newer ones aren't boring to others who just want some good looking screens to pass some liesure time. Even some interaction is added here, and the map to move to rooms like the Agatha Christie mysteries.

Not waiting for a DD price, for me it's free which is better, used my second punch from Feb now after getting Vampiresville as well. Haven't hit any freezes or lockups yet, but on the 4 year old pc with just 512 RAM I'll go it a few chapters at a time, restart fresh as I've had to do on some others like Gardenscape and MurderShe Wrote, these take a lot of resources so I don't push it. The demo also ran smoothly on my newer Vista laptop. OK, back to my needlepoint, once I figured out how to manipulate the pieces on the WT can't wait to work it even if it takes me an hour, I love puzzles like that, and it's pretty

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 18, 10 6:03 AM
Just to add re Replayability, I've got the game running on both my older pc and my laptop, and the lists do change on the same scenes. Even a few that were on the demo before I already forgot where they were - one advantage of getting older and losing short term memory. Long term? well that goes if I wait too long to replay.

Still very impressed with the beautiful professional job they did on the graphics. Move over MCFs Thanks for the vareity of games offered, the good, the bad, the ugly and the gorgeous, hard, easy, whatever. Maybe you CAN please everyone, just not every day.

Edited on 03/18/2010 at 7:30:24 AM PST

wager371
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by wager371 on Mar 21, 10 5:11 PM
I didn't like it. GoGii games have spoiled me.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Mar 22, 10 12:22 PM
Well, BF did get the update needed, to work out the bugs, so I was able to purchase, and finish playing this game.
I enjoyed the game, it wasn't my favorite, but still feel like I got my moneys worth, with this one.
I don't mind straight up, HOG's, in fact sometimes, that is just what I am looking for, when I just want to relax, and enjoy a game, and that is what I did while playing this game.
My favorite part was the needlepoint, mini game, I love this type, I could play an entire game, with just doing the needlepoint, like they did with the game quilting time, instead of quilting, make it needlepoint...just a suggestion...lol!
I had already read some of the reviews, on this game, so I was ready when the clew item came up, thanks for the reviews ...would have been stumped otherwise, because I never heard of yarn being called "clew " either.
There were quite a few items, that were named differently, so I just took a wild guess, on those, and made out pretty good.
I didn't care for the mini, were you had to guide the man, to the other man, it wasn't made very well, and I just felt like it was used, to make the game last longer, and it wasn't really needed IMHO.
I felt the same with the lock picking mini, I don't know about you all, but I just don't have the patience, to repeat the same steps over and over, to me that's not fun, its frustrating.
Thank heavens for the skip, which I don't like to do, but since I enjoyed the rest of the gameplay, I was very thankful they provided this option, or I wouldn't have enjoyed this game as much.
Over all, I liked the game and finished it, so I give it out of five, now off to another adventure !!
Hope everyone is having a great day .

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Mar 22, 10 8:44 PM
For a straight HOG, this was well done graphically. The story was not so well done. But since I'm not into playing straight HOG, I'll give this one a miss. It appears to be a long game though, I only got through chapter 2. If it comes up as a daily deal I'll probably get it.

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by barbaralbb on Mar 24, 10 12:14 PM
Tried it and deleted it. Didn't seem to have a plot and the hidden object scenes were cluttered. Just didn't see the point and I love hidden object games! This one didn't make the "cut".....

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Mar 26, 10 2:16 AM
Worked fine, way too busy and items too small. Can't skip past conversations. Not worth even playing the demo. Uninstalled after 15 minutes.

Go to: