jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Millennium Secrets: Emerald Curse

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Mar 20, 10 9:02 PM
OK. I just finished the game, a little on the short side for me. Roughly it took me about 4 hours of game play. Still like it though.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Mar 20, 10 9:02 PM
Loved it LoVeD It LOVED IT!

It was like playing a game inside of an action movie. WAYYY Cool! Right on dude!

OMGosh! I just realized that I never had to use the walkthrough ONCE...ever! That's pretty much a first for me for an intense IHOG/Adventure game!

I want a sequel! I want to find out what happens with Kate and Lord Scofield and the little girl Mary and the Professor! Is the Professor the best man at Kate and Lord Scofield's wedding? Does the little girl get better and become their flower girl? Then does their honeymoon turn into another adventure with the professor and Mary tagging along??? Well...what happens next I wanna know!

Edited on 03/20/2010 at 9:06:09 PM PST

Lily_Lane
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by Lily_Lane on Mar 20, 10 9:10 PM
I don't mind the graphics at all - though I wish our investigator didn't need to totter around bowleggedly (is that a word?) on high heels the whole time.

Really very fun game, but I wouldn't recommend playing it in casual mode, I think it would be too easy. Adventure mode offers just enough challenge, and I don't mind doing a lot of clicking since I'm not being penalized.

I certainly prefer this sort of hidden object search to looking for pointless junk. If I have to find one more hourglass, sock or sunflower, I'm going to gouge my eyes out with a spoon!

KICKI56
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by KICKI56 on Mar 20, 10 9:33 PM
This is a great game with beautiful art work and graphics, a great story, nice music and game play that is fun and addicting. I bought it within 10 minutes of demo play with my coffee this AM, and spent a snowy day playing it off and on. I rarely needed a hint, as I played in the casual mode. Some of the mini puzzles were a bit more difficult, but nothing that I had to skip. The puzzle near the end with the lava and the girl trying to get across is outstanding. The look of the action here is so realistic.This is one of 3 near perfect (IMO) games I have played this year. I appreciate the great amount of work that went into this game.

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

[Post New]by cche on Mar 20, 10 10:16 PM
Played the hour with brief interruptions in advanced mode. Looking for statues for the fountain at the moment, and a hole in the wall, I think. Based on other reviews that would seem to indicate 3-5 hours for me. Haven't needed a hint.

Graphics are clear, if not pretty. Animations are faintly disturbing, but tolerable.

Music is repetitive, though not irritating. Doesn't really add to the game.

Story is above average so far. Voice acting ok to good.

Play semi-logical, though you will also succeed if you just click everywhere. Author gets an extra kudo for the text comments which are often moderately subtle clues.

Also a plus, you get additional guidance at the outset, though it took me a few minutes to realize that I could not just scan the mouse to find clickables going forward.

Over all, above average, but not a must-buy for me. Maybe I'll pick it up if I run out of other nice games, or more likely grab it if it comes by at $2.99.

3.7 of 10 on my personal scale.

Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Mistickel on Mar 20, 10 10:26 PM
I LOVED this game! It's pretty easy, but sometimes I like a good game that's relaxing and fun when the challenging ones have fried my brain. The animation and graphics aren't intense but nice and clear! I very much liked that the objects were clear, Im so burned out on games where the objects are tiny and fuzzy. It ran smoothly. The story is captivating, I actually felt like I was part of the game, wanting to help LOL. Easy navigation. I loved that it's so interactive with things to do that were logical. I very much enjoyed how you open cabinets, looked in and moved things, just like you would or were there in real life. The minis have skip if you like, but I didnt need to use it. A plus that I don't remember any other game ever doing, was that it asked me if I wanted to look around more for the bonus items before leaving the level. That was nice to be reminded rather than lose them. I took a peek at the walk-through and seems I'm 1/4 of the way through with the 1 hr. demo, so it seems to be a decent length. Im buying this one right now!~

NouniSmile
Koi
Koi
281,317 Posts

[Post New]by NouniSmile on Mar 21, 10 12:49 AM
It seems that this is the right place to post my previous comment. That was written after I finished the demo. I just wanted to share with you my opinoin just in case if some are still evaluationg the game. Here is summary of what I worte
"That is a great game . I couldn't wait till the morning to try it. As soon as I started, I kept playing till I finished the demo. I it.
... The resolution of the scenes are very good, no stress for the eyes.
... Objects are clearly displayed without ruining the fun for searching.
... So far the mini puzzles are good.
... You always know what will be your next step is.
... I'm not sure about how long is the game since there is no walkthrough yet to compare my progress. I reached Lord Scofield manor during the demo. "

Now here is the upadate: I haven't finished it yet and the puzzels are geting more challenging..
About the length of the game it is really very difficult to tell if you compared your progress with the walkthrough (although this is always my approach) because the length of each location is different. Also you can make it longer if you decide to find all the bonus points. I really do
Happy gaming everyone....Nouni

[Post New]by Caristiona on Mar 21, 10 1:20 AM
I have finished this game,,, and was absolutely thrilled when it came out ... have been waiting for this one rather anxiously. graphics are a bit old school yes but still excellent just the same. learning curve? zero very easy game to get into... puzzles? easy to decipher but challenging enough to be enjoyable... storyline? awesome...can't wait for the sequel

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Mar 21, 10 4:03 AM
I really liked the graphics, probably because they are so clear and lack the fuzziness too many games have. They also just have an aesthetic I find appealing. But perhaps most importantly, as Poodlebear mentioned, they create a much more immersive environment than so many games which just feel like a collection of slides.

The last thing I want to note is the voice acting which not many people have mentioned. It is so far above the standard in casual games -- really adds rather than detracts from the story.

This game may have its cons and isn't for everybody, but it feels like the producers worked really hard to create a class act. This is not just another generic game schlepped out as quickly as possible for the dinero. The story, game play, music, and voice acting all show a lot of polish.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Mar 21, 10 5:40 AM
Just another add on comment- I really liked the demo and will probably buy the game. It reminded me of Slingo Mystery with the graphics, and god help me I've played that one over and over. There was a simplicity that I liked, I'm also tirid of the junk piles.

[Post New]by porambo707 on Mar 21, 10 6:43 AM
Just finished the last chapter this morning over coffee and am happy with my purchase. It was a fun little game that only took about 3 hours to finish on casual mode with very little hints used.

1. It has a great story line. If you don't play for the stories that are involved they are very easy to skip through. They are not so frequent that you are constantly being bombarded with dialogue but just enough to give you a story to follow along in the game.

2. The "retro graphics" everyone is talking about aren't all that bad. Sure I got a chuckle or two when the leading lady was walking around a little bow legged but other than that it's fine. The graphics are done well enough for you to accomplish your tasks without having to squint, get a magnifying glass, etc.

3. The mini games are pretty simple to figure out. When a mini game begins it won't give you an direction. If you can't figure out what they want you to do then there is a help button on the bottom right that will give you a brief description about the game. There also is an optional skip button after about 1 minute of trying the game on your own. The mini games are not too difficult but are nothing new (puzzles, sliders, rings, etc.).

4. I thought that the HOG part of the game was fun. Others might be bored with the constant clicking and searching but I enjoyed it. Some objects will be hidden in plain view while others are hidden behind or in things. So for all of you compulsive clickers out there (like me), this is the perfect game. LOL. Every couple of scenes you'll run into a section where you need to find about 8 objects to earn 4 hints. As long as you have hints stored up there is no waiting for your hints to charge back up. I also liked that everything that you had to find was used to move on to the next scene.

5. The best part was I ran into NO GLITCHES which seem to be a problem here lately with other games. I'm using Windows Vista and had no problems with crashing, graphics, freezing, etc. Everything ran smoothly as a game should.

So overall I give this game a . It's no Dire Grove or Briar Rose but good enough to kill some time while I'm waiting.

cf_30
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by cf_30 on Mar 21, 10 8:20 AM
I have just finished the demo and am about to purchase this game. I really enjoyed playing on the advanced mode and it was great for a change to have no sparkles showing where everything is but yet have the easier option for those that want.

A great point and click adventure game, possibly a little on the short side, but the fact it is all so logical and you can figure it all out without checking a walkthrough (which I usually have to do on LF adventure games) means I can overlook that and just spend a really enjoyable few hours playing a great game.

Pleiadestar
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by Pleiadestar on Mar 21, 10 9:12 AM
When I first started playing I said to myself - gee the graphics are the kind that really annoy me - but THEN once I started playing I really got into the game. Am playing in Advanced Mode because that's the way I play my games. I also couldn't believe that my hour was up! I purchased the game and am now in the Oceanarium (?). My day has gone by so quickly!

I only have one (little) beef. When I start the game I am asked to click okay to run in lower graphics mode because the game is reading low video memory on my computer. I have never had this happen before and am wondering just how much vid mem this game utilizes?

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Mar 21, 10 10:47 AM
I just finished the game and enjoyed every minute of it. I must be slow because it took me 5-6 hours to finish. I used very few hints and skipped one puzzle. I thought it was well worth the credit. I know that in six months or so I will be able to play it again with just as much enjoyment.

[Post New]by GrannyBookmark on Mar 21, 10 10:51 AM
I have gotten stuck in the second room off the basement = you have to show lites in color sequence in order for the object to raise its sections. I figured out the answer and accidentally hit skip puzzle and the screen is frozen, can't go to menu, help, or anything. I closed the game and got back in and it froze again - I uninstalled the game and downloaded again still frozen I can't get to dart board or anything - help

texgma
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by texgma on Mar 21, 10 10:55 AM
.Great Game. One of the best by far, Kept me thinking and on my toes.

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Mar 21, 10 11:07 AM
ok with all the glowing review I was hesitant...kinda like all the negative review I check out the game--strange but that's a Pieces for yahs.
So I played 1/2 hour of demo & then let it sit for day or so & just finished other half. It's a lil different, but the items make sense-Except the high heels part LOL
Yup I bought it & am sure DH will like it as well--he's more of a soduka Zenerchi type guy but we are slowly getting him to the good side of IHOGs (MUHAHAHAHAH)
I give it about 2-3 hours & 4/5

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Mar 21, 10 12:09 PM
Holy cow, I feel like I've been abducted by aliens to see this pile of junk get such good reviews! Was it the dead zombie look in the girl's eyes, or what? Man! I've seen better graphix on Atari! Characters who lurch around like the undead, jagged pixel edges on graphix, glowing orange coins b/c they can't find a true gold gradient in tools....forget it. And can we have something that isn't an intrepid girl jumping headfirst into a mysterious mission from a mysterious phone call w/o questioning it?

I can't even make myself look at this more than 5 min, let alone keep playing it. I don't care what the silly premise develops into. I can't stand looking at it. It offends my eyes, my aesthetic sense, & my stomach!

wrennie
Minnow
Minnow
276 Posts

[Post New]by wrennie on Mar 21, 10 12:23 PM
i liked this game very much. I had no problems, thought the graphics were just fine and bought it after the hour demo. Keep 'em comin', .............

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Mar 21, 10 12:48 PM
I bought this game after playing the demo and loved every minute of it. I'm looking forward to the next Millennium Secrets.

Go to: