judieau
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Happyville: Quest for Utopia

[Post New]by judieau on Apr 2, 10 5:44 PM
I really enjoyed this game to start with but once reaching all the goals there's really nothing left to do but start a new Happyville, and repeat everything that was done in the first game.

More challenges would have made it more interesting and give us the feeling of "I can't wait to play Happyville today"!

[Post New]by GamerGirl_31 on Apr 4, 10 2:44 AM
Cute game, but takes a bit too long to earn money.

Also, it just doesn't have the "I want to play again" feeling that you get from like Be Richer, or the like. IMHO anyway.

I'm sure there might be someone out there that likes this game, but it's not me.

Everyone's Happy but still no Happy Ending!!! Hated it!

[Post New]by deevaa on Apr 4, 10 7:53 AM
MrsTonyaFaye wrote:The max population is 250: I reached it.

I had over 19 available jobs, no homeless & everyone was "Happy!" Not a sad citizen in the place. So I had 250 Happy People and I purchased the 100K Globe! I decorated the hell out of this town with plenty of trees and fountains....just went all out with it all.

I still was not successful!

I was hoping for a different level or town to start....nothing.

Yeah me too, I thought it might be a bug? I had 25 people, 15 available jobs, no one unhappy and it still wouldn't let me past the level, v. annoying.

[Post New]by mermaidkitty on Apr 6, 10 1:15 PM
This is so cute, but I'm disappointed. You can't do a pretty layout. I spent a lot of time trying to organize my city nicely but you only get a certain amount of space. As an artist I like to have a nice lay-out and have things neatly organized (unlike my real life).

I will have to start over because there is no one to win the game now and I've been wasting a lot of time knocking down and cramming buildings together. Which is very disappointing and frustrating.

Are there any plans to make the playing area bigger? That way even after you completed all the tasks you could keep playing and make a city that suited your taste. That would expand the game beyond the normal.

Normally, I'm a big fan of BF games even though some of the really hard ones I can beat in 5-6 hours, but this is a dud. Save yourself and don't purchase this one.

[Post New]by Lavenderstrawbry on Apr 6, 10 3:16 PM
I really don't like that this game has someone how grabbed a number one position for TM games.

Don't be fooled!

Sure it looks cute, and is kinda fun for that first bit, however, what you experience in that first trial hour is pretty much what you''re gonna get. It doesn't extend itself beyond that. It's like one really long level, and i personally feel it has some major game mechanics issues. You can't really design your ideal town because of it.

It is also a game that runs ridiculously slow. This is not an issue with my computer or graphics card, I can run sims 3, but rather an indicator of a really poor internal game engine.

If you were thinking this was a cute version of sim city, do yourself a favor and just go dig up the real thing.

I

Lauree66
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Lauree66 on Apr 7, 10 10:01 AM
Game is cute but that is about it. When you speed it up it goes really fast - well once you start getting some momentum. I used my game credit for it thankfully - I would have been disappointed if I had paid for it. Other then the elections there are no challenges to complete (like Virtual Villagers). I'd give it 2.5 out of 5.

[Post New]by stephasweet on Apr 8, 10 1:51 PM
I tried the demo and liked it so much that I bought it thinking that there would be more levels. It got really boring at the end and I WAS able to plan my city out so that everyone was happy and yet it still wouldn't take that goal away. It was such a waste of money and a pointless game! I think we should all get our money back. Shame on you Big Fish.

[Post New]by islandkandi on Apr 11, 10 9:52 PM
I like the game but I agree with everyone there are somethings that could make it a great game instead of alright for the moment. I love the concept of the game but there are things that need to be added in to make it place easier, like the following:

When it says ppl are unhappy then it should show you who, instead of havig to waste time clicking everyone to see who the person/people is/are.

When you place a building, home, structure you should be able to turn them around and move them if you don't like where it landed, instead of having to delete and put it somewhere else.

When you get a certain amount of money or houses, or businesses you should be able to upgrade to a larger piece of land. If it is part of the game I have not come across it yet and I have played for hours.

The last thing is I think you should be able to change the mayor sex and color, as a woman I don't want a man character.

OuterSpace
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by OuterSpace on Apr 11, 10 11:23 PM
i do a medium tax rate in this game and this game is wonderful!

[Post New]by vmciras on Apr 12, 10 3:19 PM
This game is HORRIBLE. I was very disappointed. Way too short and way too slow.

[Post New]by shellymark on Apr 12, 10 5:25 PM
i still have not finish yet and i don't understand what to do when they are having family problems how do you make them happy

[Post New]by speedmomscbf on Apr 28, 10 8:01 AM
I agree with wreeve2006 totally. After filling up spaces on the island and working so hard to satisfy the constantly unhappy villagers, there should have been more unlocks to other islands. This game should have gone on more than it did. The upgrades also lacked much to motivate you. This game lacked alot. Great disappointment. I just knew the upgrade meant unlocking a different island.... Boy, whoever the developer is should really make up for this one with a Happyville 2, or better yet, give everyone their money back from this one! Total waste!!!

Edited on 04/28/2010 at 8:02:27 AM PST

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on May 18, 10 11:31 AM
It may have been a good game, however, it moves so slowly. I never could get anything but building lots to unlock, and without jobs, noone want s to live there. I may be missing something, but I'm just tired of waiting.

[Post New]by shellymark on May 21, 10 8:00 PM
is BFG going to do something about this game or what it belongs in a garbage bin not on peoples computer taking up space without any real value it still keeps saying i need 250 people and they need jobs even though i've got 252 people with 6 jobs available and i still don't know how to fix their "family issues'

MistieAnn
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by MistieAnn on Mar 23, 11 4:14 PM
I've been an addict of computer games for nearly twenty years after I discovered they were a great distraction from the pain I suffer on a daily basis. I have played pretty much every type of game that has ever been conceived of by developers. I say this as my way of explaining that I'm no newbie when it comes to learning and playing games. With this one, I couldn't seem to do anything right from the start! When you are supposed to connect the lots I'd just put into place with roads, I couldn't seem to get them to actually connect. I built roads until I was blue in the face yet every house still showed that they had no road access! I finally deleted my name and started fresh. This time, it wouldn't even let me build roads at all! It just kept highlighting the houses and/or lots! I had checked out the game since it was $2.99 and sounded cute. I'm so glad I didn't follow my original impulse to just buy it without trying considering the price. What a disappointment!

Also, I read a few comments before starting my reply, and I had to respond to the comments about hidden object games. I've been known to enjoy h/o games just as much as anyone, but frankly, I'm extremely unhappy with the flood of them in the past couple of years. In the meantime, inlay games have become obsolete! Someone here even blamed the economy of all things for the lack of variety in game releases...um, that's a new one on me. In my opinion they said, "Oh, we've had lots of success with h/o games, so let's make more!" Please, please, dear game designers, please release something other than h/o games! I beg you! Think inlay game, I'm on my knees here!!!

Mistie Ann

Kadra
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by Kadra on Mar 24, 11 3:11 PM

Wow am I glad that i only paid the $2.99 price for this game and even then i'm disapointed. wish i had read the reviews first. Don't understand why this is still being sold by BFG.

I like all the others wish they had done more with it could have been one of the best games but just fails.

Would like to say i would buy next version but no longer trust the maker so there would have to be a peer review b4 i would even trial a GOGII game now.

Should have gone with my instincts to not purhase this game but what can i say it was late at night and i was tired.

jlanger78
Marlin
Marlin
9,474 Posts

[Post New]by jlanger78 on Apr 3, 11 9:06 PM
So I bought the game and have been enjoying it mostly, although there were a couple times i just got up and left the game running while i made dinner or something just to make money. I really don't think that that should be the way of things. Regardless I was still enjoying the game right up until I came to the last (I assume) challenge. It says all residents happy.. well I've played it for a few hours with that as my only goal, have gone thru three pointless elections, have had my citizens all happy about ten times and nothing happens. It doesn't end you don't win it just keeps going on and on and on.. Is this a glitch or is this the way of it? Now I must admit I haven't bothered with building all the monuments because I don't need them and there's no room anyway.. is that the problem? I don't know.. I've gotten to this point from scratch twice now and I'm very frustrated.

jlanger78
Marlin
Marlin
9,474 Posts

[Post New]by jlanger78 on Apr 3, 11 9:10 PM
shellymark wrote:i still have not finish yet and i don't understand what to do when they are having family problems how do you make them happy

I found whenever a house was having family problems if I was able to delete the roads around it without cutting things off the problems just went away, OR you can add a decor item, but usually the house just gets unhappy again later when you do that

[Post New]by pats12tbrady on Apr 5, 11 5:09 PM
I have read a lot of the reviews on here, I bought the game after the hour demo and got frustrated a little, but then I thought more strategic, once you know what it takes to make people happy and how to keep people happy you can start over with those things in mind. I have kept everyone happy with 250 maxed out. I did however get frustrated again wtihout an end to the game, so I wrote support and asked if there even was one. It is an open ended game occasionally new goals will appear such as making sure everyone is covered by a police station and so on. It keeps you watching and checking everything. I don't agree that this game was a failure or that really besides an ending there was anything wrong with it. It should have an ending with an option to continue, but other than that it was fun and worth it's money.

[Post New]by Marijelly on Dec 12, 11 5:40 PM
Don't mind untimed goals in these types of games, but this was just too slow - endless waiting for money to buy the next thing you needed, without that many options or other strategy really than choosing what to wait for. Unrealistic to want hospitals or police stations every other block, but would be equally boring to just build houses..
Very cute graphics, though not much variation.

Go to: