robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Settlement: Colossus

[Post New]by robin94122 on Mar 31, 10 7:11 PM
lilyr wrote:A question: I'm no good at TM games but I did love My Kingdom for a Princess. Someone compared this to Virtual Villagers. I played a demo of one and all my people died. Since this doesn't have a timer, do your people die if you don't get all the stuff they need? If so, it's not for me. Otherwise it sounds intriguing.

No, the people don't die--you just get locked out of most of the building tasks until you go get the specific resources you have run out of.

As far as whether there's a timer--there are two types. First, there are two trophies that require collecting a certain number of objects (like 5 in 5 seconds), but there's no penalty for taking more time. You just don't get the trophy.

Second, the game does keep track of how many "days" it takes you to complete each chapter. It will give you your score in days at the end of each chapter. But there's no penalty for taking longer.

Finally, as to how much Hidden Object play there is--in this game, you have to frequently go into one of many different hidden object scenes in order to collect the resources that you need for building. So you might be collecting mushrooms (for food) in the Forest or Clay (for making pottery) by the Lake. In addition, of the 30 mini-games about 10 of them are inventory hidden object scenes.

The difference is that most of the time you don't have a Find List. Instead you have an Available List, which tells you what types of resources are available in the scene. So you might know there are Mushrooms, Logs, and Gold available in the scene. But you don't know how many there are of each, and it's up to you to decide how many to collect, based on which tasks you are trying to complete.

There is a lot of freedom about which tasks you do in which order, so you'll be looking for different resources at different times. And each time you go into a hidden object location it's a new "day," so the exact objects there will change. Much as if you were going into a real forest to an area where you had picked berries before, but now there might be berries or not, and they might be in different specific locations.

If you need a little help figuring things out you might check the General Tips section of the Blog Walkthrough. To get to the Blog Walkthrough, just click on the Try this Game link at the top of this page, then click on the link to the Blog Walkthrough.

Robin

Edited on 03/31/2010 at 7:13:33 PM PST

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on Mar 31, 10 8:22 PM
I almost gave this one a pass - not my normal type of game - but I DL it anyway and am very glad that I did.

Graphics - they are fantastic. Realistic movement of the water & vegatation. Very well done. (Other designers take note, please.)

Music - (even tho I always turn it way down) was soothing, pleasant, and fit with the mood of the game.

Hidden objects - And, to me anyway, this is what sets that game way apart of any others that I tried. The objects to find make sense in the context of the game. You're finding, food, firewood, etc. And, while not impossible, they are all that easy, either. You have to look for them. And there are some areas where I think I saw extra items. Extra mushrooms that you can get rather than the firewood, things like that.

Mini games - these also fit in with the theme of the game. They aren't totally impossible but I didn't find them so easy I could fly through them. They required thought & paying attention.

While I think I almost starved the people once, collecting ore instead of food, I enjoyed the time spent gathering & figuring out what to do next. Even with the tutorial, there are some things that you just have to figure out on your own - which is part of the fun of the game.

So as soon as I get my credits, this is one of the first games I'm getting. I rate if

anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by anonymiss on Mar 31, 10 8:27 PM
I'm not a TM game fan, but after reading the reviews, I'm thinking I may give this one a go. The concept sounds a little to me like Gardenscapes, with the mix of TM & HOG (which I enjoyed), but as I have yet to play Colossus, I guess I don't know! However, if it is anything like Gardenscapes, I think I'll probably purchase it. I have 2 bonus credits coming up from my March purchases, and this sounds like it may be worth spending a credit on. Okey dokey, off to d/l it and have a quick play before I finish my lunch break. Have a great day fishes!

Edited on 03/31/2010 at 8:28:37 PM PST

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Mar 31, 10 8:39 PM
Thank you Poodlebear and Anam_Craite. I'll be buying this one.

Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Mistickel on Mar 31, 10 10:45 PM
I liked that this was a mix of an iHOG, frags and a build a society. I liked the game play, it has beautiful scenes, but the graphics of the hidden objects is horrible. The hints loaded quickly, but dont blink or you'll miss it. If you wait long enough items will sparkle. The story telling is slow, you cant click to advance it, but you can skip it.

After awhile I got bored going to the same areas over and over, collecting the same things over and over. I must have collected 200 sticks during the 1 hr. LOL I did very much like that the interactive tasks were logical,ie. you put together a pick axe and use the axe to break rock to find something.

It was fun, but wish there was more variation of things to collect and a bit better graphics.

jeannemaria
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by jeannemaria on Mar 31, 10 10:59 PM
This morning I tried this game. I love hidden objects and puzzles, which this game has. I hate Time Management games, too stressful for me, but this game is NOT really a TMG. I love this game and I will definitely buy it with my full March Punchcard. With my Game credit on the 8th of April I will most likely buy The Enchanted Kingdom, which I also like.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Apr 1, 10 4:00 AM
sucks.
Dr.good

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by mgpaquin on Apr 1, 10 4:14 AM
Both DH and I simply LOVE this game. Some of the hidden objects are a bit tough to find (bits of gold) which keep you from being bored, and I played until after 11:00 last night because I just HAD to get that farm upgraded! An enthusiastic from us.

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Apr 1, 10 6:57 AM
I just can't stop playing this. I must have needed a break from IHOGS or something; I just love it when a new business or resource is available..

Okami
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Okami on Apr 1, 10 8:51 AM
Very relaxing. Beautiful scenery...except that the people looked a little weird. Would have liked to be able to click on them to get their opinions about the city as we did in Hellas 2.

It's a big game, though. Has to be for those gorgeous graphics (tickle a frog sometime). So if you are a little short on space, clear some room first.

I'll be spending a credit on this one!

Ibid
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Ibid on Apr 1, 10 9:52 AM
I've been downloading and buying games from Big Fish since the beginning of 2007, and this is the first time I've been compelled to leave a comment/review of a game.

What can I say but this game is near perfect as far as gameplay and enjoyment. Even moreso considering I'm not a HOG fan. So it shocked me even that I was so thoroughly enraptured with using a HOG-type them for a civilization-building game.

Heck, I even sent in a few complaints to Big Fish about too many darn HOG releases turning their game site into a one-theme game site...so now I'm having to eat a little crow with how much I'm enjoying S:Colossus.

Mainly I think it's because I found previous HOG's as completely nonsensical. The items to find make absolutely no sense or semblence to the game IMO...but for once, finally, the items to find make perfect sense to the game setting.

It's vary casual-friendly. Puzzles are fun but skippable without penalty. No time limit leading to anxiety or frustration. No turning off the game just to find everyone dead because you had to do things like sleep and work for a living.

It's a great game and really hit all the right buttons for me, So much so that in the 3 years I've been playing games from Big Fish I feel compelled to actually write about one. It really is that good, at least for me.

Maybe Big Fish should take a hint from this and actually make their own HOG's actually make sense in what we're searching for to solve the game. Just a thought.

lynnie11
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

Just my opinion

[Post New]by lynnie11 on Apr 1, 10 12:01 PM
yasure wrote:Don't you find it kind of boring? I mean, the hidden object scenes are somewhat the same over and over again.
Don't get me wrong, it's a "cute" game but I'm not much of a time management game player and that is the feel I get from this game.
The graphics and all are great. It's a nice game, just not my type..
I still have 35 minutes left of the demo and I will finish.
I hope everyone enjoys this.
It's the last day of March, so fill up your punch card(s) I can not wait to see what awaits us for April!

lynnie11
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by lynnie11 on Apr 1, 10 12:03 PM
I must agree with "yasure" - I found this incredibly boring. The same objects over and over and over. I did like the 2 mini games I found, but for me it's a snoozer!

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Apr 1, 10 12:04 PM
I played the hour demo on this and was enjoying it. It's not a difficult game, but was challenging enough in its own way. I was enjoying gathering things for the people and getting their little settlement built when my hour was suddenly up and I thought "I'm not done yet!". I'm rather surprised that these people don't know how to hunt, having spent "years wandering" to find this perfect homeland, but I guess if they want to live on gathered fruit and mushrooms... LOL

At any rate, this will be one I buy this month.

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Apr 1, 10 1:02 PM
deleted-posted in wrong game review!

Edited on 04/01/2010 at 1:03:06 PM PST

berrymama
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by berrymama on Apr 1, 10 1:38 PM
hmm.. long download so I thought it would be special.. not! got the berries and wood easy..(too easy), then went to make baskets and it froze... sigh.. not a good sign of things to come. It's pleasant but I think a bit slow for me. Don't particularly like TM or sims, and it seems to be going that way more than HOG.

I have bought so many games that I finish and don't do again, don't think I'll waste my time on this one. Unless I really get bored

Edited on 04/01/2010 at 1:40:39 PM PST

[Post New]by grandmagamer49 on Apr 1, 10 2:21 PM
Sorry but it lost me after 8 min. Could not get to make the baskets to collect the mushrooms.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Apr 1, 10 6:39 PM
grandmagamer49 wrote:Sorry but it lost me after 8 min. Could not get to make the baskets to collect the mushrooms.

There is one Dead End possible very early in the game which can be quite annoying. But it's the only one there is, fortunately. To find out how to avoid it, check the General Tips in the Blog Walkthrough.

I'm so sorry you ran into that--it's not typical of the gameplay in the game.

Robin

stone07
Koi
Koi
68,662 Posts

[Post New]by stone07 on Apr 1, 10 10:29 PM
not my normal type of game - but I DL it anyway and am very glad that I did.

Will by when my credits come it

Astina
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by Astina on Apr 1, 10 11:04 PM
I downloaded this game out of curiosity and I'm glad that I did, it's a great game. I'm one fish that's glad they put this in HOG category otherwise I wouldn't have looked at it.. Can't wait until the coupons come out for March to buy it.

Edited on 04/01/2010 at 11:06:14 PM PST

Go to: