Re:Welcome to The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon forum

[Post New]by StudentOfTrinity on May 8, 10 5:25 AM
This is a beautiful looking game, and it works very smoothly, with that neat mechanic where clicking on special objects pops up a ring of spaces for other objects that have to be found and combined into it to open it up.

But I just can't stand this particular game. Although all the objects in the game are properly placed in the various scenes, in true proportion and logically present, still in practice it ends up feeling like a very old school Hidden Object game, where you are endlessly hunting for a ton of arbitrary items, just to get the next tiny step forward in the story. Unlike in other recent games that use this same mechanic, the items you find to complete each ring make no sense at all. You're not putting together hammer, nails, and boards to make a ladder, or anything like that; you're assembling an armload of bulky statuettes and decorations pried off walls, just to open a paper envelope that's lying on a table in plain sight. And it's not even explained that this is a weird magic world where everything's enchanted so that you can't complete the simplest normal actions without collecting the right bunch of ritual objects. No, it's entirely and bizarrely arbitrary, what things you have to find in order to perform ordinary actions.

And then often you have to do a series of these actions: collect half a dozen bits of statuary, in order to be allowed to pry a plaque off a wall, which is one of the half dozen plaques you need to collect, in order to look under a chair, to see a stuffed dog, that you need to find in order to pick up a pair of glasses that are sitting on a table right in front of you. (I'm not bothering to remember the details of the game exactly in these descriptions, so they shouldn't count as spoilers, but it really is just like this in style.)

If it weren't quite so involved and ridiculous, and if I had gotten any further than receiving a mission to make tea after half an hour of playing, I might accept it as a fun quirk and happily buy the game. But it's just way over the top for me. Too bad, because it's really beautifully put together.

Edited on 05/08/2010 at 5:28:07 AM PST

[Post New]by momonshore on May 24, 10 4:51 PM
Enjoying the game but I'm stuck on the roof trying to fill the JUG up with water to water the flower. I've tried everywhere possible around the fountain to fill the jug and it keeps going back to inventory. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance if you can help as I'm unable to advance............

ahiler
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by ahiler on May 31, 10 11:02 AM
Does anyone know where the dog is? I am in tryout mode & really like the program but I can't find the dog. Click on the hint button & Igor comes out & points to something, but I've clicked & clicked everywhere in the direction he points with no luck! (Thank goodness this isn't one of those games that shakes up your screen!)

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on May 31, 10 12:32 PM
ahiler wrote:Does anyone know where the dog is? I am in tryout mode & really like the program but I can't find the dog. Click on the hint button & Igor comes out & points to something, but I've clicked & clicked everywhere in the direction he points with no luck! (Thank goodness this isn't one of those games that shakes up your screen!)

What scene are you in? I have a lot of screenshots and may be able to help...

ahiler
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by ahiler on May 31, 10 6:04 PM
It is right near the beginning. We are in the old lady's house and there are some figurines that need to be found before I can open the next thing, & I've found all except the little dog. Looks kind of like a bull terrier. The hint button gives me Igor pointing, instead of lights around an object. but I don't see anything in the direction in which he points. Someone else wrote in something about a stuffed dog under a chair, & I clicked under chairs & still found nothing.
I don't want to buy this program if it won't work with my equipment. Thank you for any advice you can give.

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on May 31, 10 6:09 PM
Ah- OK! there is a chest on the lower left. You will need a key from the balcony to open the box.....

Look here for the screenshots:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/the-mystery-of-the-crystal-portal-beyond-the-horizon-walkthrough/

[Post New]by lazygrandma on Jul 4, 10 11:24 AM
I can't get the tea set to stay on the table. Any answers

[Post New]by SLOWSNAIL on Jul 4, 10 6:42 PM
I have download the game, go to play it, i get a error message can't find Bass dll

Beadfisher
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Beadfisher on Sep 11, 10 8:00 AM
I liked this game a lot and will play it more than once. The graphics are good enough that I want to spend time in that world. In fact, I went back and bought the first Crystal Portal.

lizkgames
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by lizkgames on Oct 18, 10 6:31 PM
Finally finished the first Crystal Portal and then this one; now I am (im)patiently waiting for the next installment. For once I hope that the company goes beyond three games in a series. Or at least use the same the characters in another series of games.

blovad
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by blovad on Jun 2, 11 11:22 AM
Hi. I am new to games. I play on an iPad. I am sick and the iPad makes it easy. So, here is my question. I am stuck on the hall, trying to find the third scroll. I can not fond the object of the diver, which would complete that bubble. It is probably easy, buy I can't find it. Thank you for being here. Irene

[Post New]by aukitten on Jun 29, 11 9:33 AM
Ok, played the first game, enjoyed it enough that i bought the second game.....however, there were several questions i have about the second game, without revealing anything to those who haven't completed it....is it me? or are there several holes in the storyline????? I was like, who? what's going on? I even replayed it, thinking i may have gone through too fast......

Go to: