cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Dominic Crane's Dreamscape Mystery

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 8, 10 8:57 AM
it, it, it. (after I had turned the music off)

I was really annoyed when Felix told me my time was up and I am afraid my language made him . (only j/k)

Anyway it is great having to figure things out for yourself and I also like the fact that it is in separate scenarios so that you are only walking around 5 screens at a time so that you do not get too frustrated with going backwards and forwards.

It is well worth $6.99 of anyone's money and gets a from me.

C

r3t1r3d
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by r3t1r3d on Apr 8, 10 8:59 AM
Have played enough ihogs to finally be able tp play a game like this without too much frustration. (hoorah). Still use too many hints, but that just between me and Dominic!

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Apr 8, 10 9:04 AM
I just finished enough of the demo to find the 1st key...which took about 30 minutes..and decided to come back here and mention a few of my observations about the game and some of the comments I've seen here so far.

First of all, I totally agree with Poodlebear about the "Ah HA!" moments in a game. The lack of instructions didn't bother me at all....and if you look carefully at the screen right when you first go into a new area, you might get a hint as to what's most important at that point in the game. I don't know if it happens all the time, but I know it did a few times for me. I'm not going to say what because it was different things depending on the areas. In fact, I think the lack of instructions adds to the intrigue of the game. The mini-games I've come across so far seemed very intuitive to me without instructions as long as I took a minute to think about what I was looking at. Sometimes they take a little more thinking than the normal mini-games you see or take an additional step that you have to figure out on your own, and I like that a lot!

Although I haven't had any specific problems with other games, I think this one plays particularly smooth including the mechanics of the puzzles. A couple of examples are the way the game minimizes automatically whenever you click on your desktop but immediately returns when you click on it in the task bar when you're playing in windowed mode. I also like that the rings in the circle puzzle will go either way depending on whether you click the right or left mouse buttons. This is something I've commented on before about games. I really wish that when developers include a circular series or pattern or movement as part of a mini-game, they would also allow use of either the right or left mouse buttons to change directions of the circular item. Another example would be numbers 0-9 on a dial that shows only 1 number at a time.

I also thought this game moved very smoothly between locations.

So far the HOG scenes have been mostly really easy, but I can see where that could change as the game continues. For me, the items were easily identifiable, and I didn't mind that once in your inventory, they didn't have names, although I would prefer to see the names here in a mouse-over window. I did find that the items were named in the HOG scenes you found them in from the item lists.

I love the adventure aspect of this game and will definitely be purchasing it!

Edited on 04/08/2010 at 9:04:47 AM PST

azmesa340
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by azmesa340 on Apr 8, 10 9:10 AM
Didn't care for this one at all - no direction - has been a long time since we had a really "good" IHOG arrive. Hopefully soon. No buy for me.

doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by doccat5 on Apr 8, 10 9:33 AM
I didn't care for the game either. Lack of directions makes it very frustrating. There seem to be no "logic" in the way the puzzles were set up. Not a keeper at least not for me. I uninstalled after about 15 minutes.

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Apr 8, 10 9:39 AM
I had a good time! Totally frustrating at times then when I figured it out ..Wahoo! I'm going to buy it with one of my credits. I have been trying the older adventure games like East Side Story and wow they are challenging but I think it helped me get ready for this one! Oh by the way I am still at the beginning stages of East Side...LOL...

Cursor was a pain at times to get to recognize doors to open etc. I turned off the music.
Everything else was fine!
Happy gaming! Nana

Anam_Craite
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by Anam_Craite on Apr 8, 10 9:45 AM
I'm getting ready to try the demo now so I have nothing of value to add at the moment but I just had to reply to Poodlebear's statement:

"Personally I think raisins are the devil's droppings and yet they keep selling the wrinkly little horrors..."

I laughed my tail off (and am still giggling from it)! For whatever reason, that comment stuck me just right. Thanks Poodlebear, with life dishing out one bad trick after another to me and family/friends this year, I haven't had a laugh like that in a long time!

209CJ
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by 209CJ on Apr 8, 10 9:47 AM
I agree with tuttepeever! Frustrated going back and forth thru rooms not knowing what to do next.

perinjah
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by perinjah on Apr 8, 10 9:56 AM
Pinky559 wrote:Help. I cut the pillow on the couch and saw the numbers 572 I went to the safe and put in the 572 and it said error. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

you have to change the symbols underneath to match the number 572 above it, i.e. choose the five pointed starfish for the number five and so on.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 8, 10 10:09 AM

Not my cup of tea at all....I am more a straight Hidden Object kind of girl....My problem is I can;t uninstall...It says the game is running even though it has been a half hour since I exited the game and the TM shows nothing running....If anyone has a solution could you please let me know...

I had this problem with another game. Even after rebooting it said it was running! The task manager would not close it, either. I finally rebooted again, then removed it from the control panel. CS said to update my driver and Adobe Shockwave. I haven't tried to DL the offending game again, but everything else seems to be working. Worth a try. In my case, LOL, nVidia had put out a new driver that very day. I didn't realize these games used Shockwave - so now that's one more to keep up with.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Apr 8, 10 10:29 AM
Hi guys - I was just strolling through to see what the pond had to say about this game, and noticed many of you are getting the message that the game is still running when, in fact, it is not. I have always heard it is not a good idea to turn your computer off from the "on/off button" and was wondering if anyone tried bringing up the task manager, which on my XP is a right click right by the time clock and in between any icons on the right hand side of your bottom menu thingy, and then click on Task Manager. Click on "Applications" and it should show you all applications that are running on your computer. If it shows this particular game running, although you can't see it, just highlight it and then at the bottom click on "End Task." Which should remove this from the application screen. If it is not on that list of applications that are running, I would report as a problem to BFG and let them work on it. Got to take care of our computers - too expensive to replace in this day and age!! Hope that helps, and is not meant to be viewed as advice from a "know it all" and insulting kind of person.

I haven't downloaded the trial version of this game yet, but will, and guess I'll have to see if I like raisins in my cup of tea or not!!! Happy Spring, and ,

[Post New]by deo1999 on Apr 8, 10 10:38 AM
So far I have enjoyed it, but am stuck after finding the ring and giving it back. I have the snorkle, key, and crowbar, but nothing sparkles but the pond. I can't do anything else there except look at the croc with the belt still tied around his mouth. Any help would be appreciated!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Apr 8, 10 10:43 AM
Poodle Bear, just have to say I agree with you about raisins...have always hated them. But for some reason I love dried cranberries. Am about to try this game now. Keeping my fingers crossed as I am so ready for a good one.

Anam_Craite
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by Anam_Craite on Apr 8, 10 11:02 AM
Okay, just finished the demo...

I really enjoyed it and I guess I've learned a lot playing other games here on BF these last few months as I didn't have much trouble at all figuring out where to go or what to do next. I found it fun rather that frustrating. I enjoyed the puzzles as well which is a surprise because often, in the past, there were at least some I had to skip as I just couldn't get them.

The only down side for me is that it looks like it'll only be a 2 to 2 1/2 hour long game for me which I find shocking as I'm usually a little bit slower than others here in the pond especially for more 'adventure' type games. I did not skip any puzzles and I only used two hints - one early on for a lighter that I just didn't see and another for a hidden object in the pyramid. That, however, was an incorrect clue for the object. The clue said "Cup" when the item resembled what I'd call a large urn...wasn't even remotely close. (This was the only time in the game I came upon that problem.) Anyway, with just those two hints, I had already gotten three keys and was at least half way through to getting the fourth. It's still not a bad length compared to many IHOGs we've seen lately but I was hoping I could get the four to five hours that others have estimated. Only because of that am I going to put this on the maybe list after seeing what else this month has to ofter.

On a side note, I just wanted to call out, as I saw another poster mention this, the multiple click penalty (pointer disappears briefly) only applies to the actual hidden object scenes, not the remainder of the game. You can click around all you like when trying to figure out where to go or what items to use where.

Bboo2
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by Bboo2 on Apr 8, 10 11:19 AM
I have finished the game and I for one enjoyed it. The hints work good if you wait long enuff for it to recharge.
Very, very good game. I recommend it to all that like to play the HOG games.

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on Apr 8, 10 11:21 AM
What a nice change to have a game that does not lead you by the nose. I've had no trouble figuring things out and it is actually pretty easy. But no sparkles telling you what to do next, just good old fashion thinking things through. I'm not sure how long the game is, will wait to see. Reminds of the old adventure games and I loved those.

If not too short, will definitely buy this one.

cjpandie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by cjpandie on Apr 8, 10 11:34 AM
tuttepeever wrote:I found this to be totally frustrating and quit with 15 minutes left. Received items that didn't have a name and didn't know what to use them for. I could have used a Walkthrough for this one. The graphics were just okay but wish there had been some more instructions as to where or what to do next. This is the 3rd night in a row that I am disappointed. I guess we all have our preferences but this one is definitely not for me. I'm sad since I really need something new.

[b][i]I have to say I agree on most points against this game. I haven't quit yet, but if we don't get the walkthrough soon, I will. I have no idea what the object of this game is. I do like the graphics but have a hard time knowing what to do with them. I get censured for clicking too much, but there's no explanation of intent.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Apr 8, 10 11:59 AM
I am really happy with this one. Not too hard after a rough start. I too like to use the old noggin and figure out what they want me to do. The HOG part is very easy, the challenge is figuring out what to do with the 'stuff' you pick up along the way. I will wait to see how long it is before purchasing as like everyone else, I don't want to buy it and find out 1/2 hour later it's done. I love raisens BTW

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Apr 8, 10 12:00 PM

We will post the walkthrough for this game tomorrow.

Thanks,

Margie B

[Post New]by bigags on Apr 8, 10 12:01 PM
game to short finished in just over 2 hours longer games please

Go to: