Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Apr 14, 10 6:20 PM
MarkAlan wrote:Has anyone noticed that all these Large File Games are older titles that have been previously released in the stores?

But they are new to BF....and a lot cheaper than in the stores.

fragileind
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by fragileind on Apr 14, 10 6:23 PM
Yawn. 5%. The good thing about the s...l...o...w download is that by the time it's done, it will be dark enough here to play! I don't mind feeling stupid -- why should a game be any different than the rest of my day? Will report back. If it ever finishes installing.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Apr 14, 10 6:24 PM
Not sure whether it was my mental stability today or if it's the game ..But this was a no go for me ...I like the feeling of trying to figure things out but ..But I have to have some sort of direction ..Had know idea ,,what to do ...But then again ...Maybe I had a brain fart .. I knew it was going to be another bad week ....& I was RIGHT !!!

cimburle
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by cimburle on Apr 14, 10 6:27 PM
Hi all. I'm relatively new in the pond and seldom write but was reading the comments so thought I'd give u my 2 cents worth. lol I personally love these type of games...Syberia, Christie's older games, LA Confidential, etc. I also agree wholeheartedly with bella81762 point of view as well. Yes, by all means comment on these games even if you HATE it. Your comments pro or con help me to make a decision about a game...personally I love converse opinions...different strokes for different folks ya know! Thanks for letting me float by and voice my opinion. Really do enjoy you all. Kime

[Post New]by Prunella205 on Apr 14, 10 6:59 PM
I don't know yet if I like it or hate it. I was able to take pictures, open the desk, close the window, talk to the officer in the hall and do something (no spoiler here) with the doll so far.

Yes it's dark, but there's a fuse box in the hall so I believe that problem will be solved soon.

Edited on 04/14/2010 at 7:12:15 PM PST

popcorn_20000
Marlin
Marlin
8,219 Posts

[Post New]by popcorn_20000 on Apr 14, 10 7:10 PM
Played the demo in about 20mins... This game is exactly like the first one and other Large File Games that I've played (eg: Agatha Christie), which I enjoy.

Had no problems, glitches, etc with Graphics or Sounds and yes scenes are bit dark but I just turned the brightness up on my screen which helped.

If you are a regular LFG fan then this game should very much keep your interest, however if you are not formaliar with LFG then you may find this game hard without a walkthrough.

fragileind
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by fragileind on Apr 14, 10 8:33 PM
Yawn!!! 2 hours later at 69%. And that's just the free trial. Obviously, this is my first LFG as a download. Wish someone had warned me ... is this gonna crash my laptop??

cimburle
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by cimburle on Apr 14, 10 8:52 PM
No, it won't crash your laptop darlin' but it does take a loooong time to download. I just started the download and then went and played another game...time goes faster that way...or so it seems. Watch pots never boil remember! lol

[Post New]by kathy1961tastjs on Apr 14, 10 8:59 PM
Just wanted to say that I love BFG and I do recommend it to all. Only thing I don't understand is why don't they have their own tab at the top for walkthroughs. If they sell the games here then why go to other sites to get the " how too's and what for's. The best way to keep from hopping from your game ( which you can lose your place if you forget to save and even then it may not save at the right place ) is to print a copy of the walkthrough ( that is if you have a printer ) this way you don't have to save and leave and come back. I do like reading all the reviews, they are very helpful. I like to think of it as " food for thought " for us fishies. As far as long games like this one ( which i love ) and others like it, just think of it as a brain exercise. Just a thought.

fragileind
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by fragileind on Apr 14, 10 10:12 PM
Whew. Just now ready for the trial -- be advised, LFG newbies -- 3h 40 minutes on an average laptop with cable connection. Hope I like it... I just took the advice above and went to a different game and stopped watching the pot. It boils eventually.

[Post New]by Mephibosheth on Apr 14, 10 11:00 PM
I'm not really a fan of these types of games, with the focus being on murder, etc. However, I do admit to being addicted to BFG, and thus I try almost everything.

First of all, the graphics are very good. It's about on the level of Syberia II, perhaps a wee bit better, but very dark. That said, it's difficult to see things, and unless one naturally thinks like an FBI agent or CSI, I think a lot of players will become frustrated fairly quickly. Personally, I had to resort to the Gameboomers walkthrough after five minutes, because I couldn't figure out what in the world I was supposed to do. Not only was I wandering around, but I was wandering in the dark, two things I particularly dislike. A brief tutorial phase would have been helpful (and perhaps one is provided in the full length game... I don't know.)

Music, ambiance, graphics, sound effects--they are all very good. The voice acting was a okay, and seemed a little biased. It seems that someone in the developmental group has had some poor experiences with French people. (Really, is it appropriate to call a French person an amphibian?)

The game is very intense, particularly the opening scene. This is not a game for the faint of heart. If you found Return to Ravenhearst too creepy for your taste, you will not like this game either. The game plays a little bit like a cross-over between pretending that you're on CSI and McGyver. Great shows, but not my taste in a game., and not when I only had 22 minutes-worth of a demo.

Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Mistickel on Apr 15, 10 2:56 AM
I usually love these type of point and click adventures, but NOT this one! I found it to be extremely frustrating, not fun at all. It doesnt give you one iota of a hint as to what you're supposed to do. I found several things on my own, before resorting to a walk through, but even with a walk through I wasnt able to get out the door.

I did like that it was pretty realistic in the tasks and the graphics were dark but decent. I didnt like how the character's movement had to be so specific. Maybe good for someone that's way better at these than I am, but I got fed up wandering aimlessly around.

sbyrd
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by sbyrd on Apr 15, 10 7:43 AM
Love it, love it, love it...my kind of game

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Apr 15, 10 9:29 AM
I'm delighted to see this on here. It's the sequel to Art of Murder: FBI Confidential.
(L A Confidential! he he. I have that film on video).

I don't know if I'm going to buy it though as I already have it from BFG in French.

It's a LFA (large file adventure) game, not an RPG.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Apr 15, 10 9:51 AM
After I downloaded the demo & began, I clicked the screen & it moved my character to where I clicked. When I saw that I quit & uninstalled the demo. In the past 2 decades there have only been 4 or 5 games based on that 'navigation principle' that I have enjoyed, regardless of the amount of work constantly referring to a walkthrough to find out exactly what to do next.

I'm more comfortable with hidden logic games than adventure games.

gojojogo
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
465 Posts

[Post New]by gojojogo on Apr 15, 10 10:42 AM
Played the demo, now buying it, loved it.
I have played many games of this genre so knew to explore left clicks, right clicks, double clicks and combining things in inventory, but a tutorial would have been helpful and essential for newcomers to this style of game.
I nearly had to resort to a walkthrough as there seems to be no system of in-game hint which can be useful. However I do not see having to resort to a walkthrough as a bad thing necessarily. I do try not to use them, or at least use the ones from the Universal Hint System website which, as the name suggests, gives you hints and nudges. I see it as similar to using a tourist guide to a city, sure you can find most things on your own, eventually, but without it it may take too long and you may miss things.

sbyrd
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by sbyrd on Apr 15, 10 11:38 AM
There's a ? along side of the inventory bar that hi-lights areas you need to explore..I found it very helpful

[Post New]by bonluvselvis on Apr 15, 10 4:03 PM
I downloaded it with no problem but never got to play--nothing but a big white screen. Using Mac trial version. Anyone else having this problem?

geas
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by geas on Apr 15, 10 4:14 PM
Downloaded the demo. Game was ok, not my favorite, I figured out all the controls/navigagation by trial and error. In the end had to go to a walkthrough, discovered I had done everything I was supposed to but still couldn't leave the building. Anyone else have that problem? Some demos cut you off after you've reached a certain point in the game (and not after an hour) so I was wondering if that was the problem or is it glitchy?

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Apr 15, 10 4:26 PM
Hi, geas! If you've done everything necessary in the area, you have to then talk to the guard again to finally exit the building. If that doesn't work you probably still have something else to accomplish. That would be the point where I'd check a walkthrough. That's just me. Hope that helps.

Edited on 04/15/2010 at 4:29:18 PM PST

Go to: