jemma07
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by jemma07 on Apr 26, 10 12:02 AM
Is this a LFA or hidden object game? The strategy guide says hidden object!!

colieleigh
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

not bad

[Post New]by colieleigh on Apr 26, 10 1:01 PM
I just finished this one, have purchased tons of ND games in the past, this one was a little more lackluster than some of the others, but still fun to explore the mansion. Not a huge fan of the alarm clock and having to set and reset it, or having to run up to the bedroom to check her journal, other than that it was fun to play.

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Apr 26, 10 1:17 PM
Come on now. Where is the demo??? I won't buy a game without demo-ing it first.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

demo

[Post New]by bella81762 on Apr 27, 10 10:43 PM
bluesinew wrote:
mamaduke63 wrote:Happy Sunday Morning all!!

Does anyone know if there is a demo available anwhere for this game?

Thanks
Mamaduke

I get my demo's from Gamespot.com, however this is an old game. It was released early 2000, so I don't know if it is still available. I believe the reason BF offers these large file games, as they are called, (actually they are real adventure games and not casual games), at such a low price, is because they are so old. You can check with the nancy drew site ... herinteractive.com, they may even have a demo to a newer game.

hey blue, even new ones when they come out are 6.99. waverly was the last drew game but i hear a new one is coming soon

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Apr 27, 10 10:53 PM
time4tea wrote:Thanks, CasualGran, for the tipoff that Dossier games had trials. I tried the Redondo Spa one..........how does this compare to the large-file games? It's okay fun, but not what I'd call 'gripping'.......

are,nt the dossier hogs while all others are lfa,s.....bfg needs to fix descriptions as this one is not a hog

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Apr 27, 10 10:58 PM
jemma07 wrote:Is this a LFA or hidden object game? The strategy guide says hidden object!!

it is a lfa....i agree description is confusing....when i was a new fish i bought i think it was a sherlock game...no trail but description said it was a hog....it was a lfa so i wrote cs and got a refund.....so basically no matter what description say if there is no demo it is a lfa. they are the only games that do not have demos

[Post New]by 22sandyle on May 1, 10 9:02 AM
This game is boring and really awful. I can see why they didn't have a demo available, I never would have purchased it.

[Post New]by morgal123 on May 1, 10 1:49 PM
this game is very confusing....seems like you cannot get going, even with a walkthrough from another site, I still cannot move around like I should.

[Post New]by morgal123 on May 1, 10 1:52 PM
I agree that is not the usual type of games expected from Big Fish Games....

I know from now on, if there is not a trial game,, I will NOT purchase the game, even though this time, I figured a Nancy Drew game would be good...

The characters that talk are to fake looking, not the good graphics expected.

[Post New]by wendylosangeles on May 2, 10 1:47 PM
I just couldn't get into this.....I tried, but I don't like the way you have to cursor around each room, and i hate that you have to keep going to the room to phone bess. pretty disappointed that I used a game club credit on this....

juhuwoorps
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by juhuwoorps on May 15, 10 9:46 PM
Another ND game..I love ND games..they take me a few days to finish..if played casually~
This game is just like her other HER Interactive..I believe its one of the 2nd ones ever made?..

All in all...I liked it..however..at the end..there is a nasty Slider puzzle..So for those who may be tired of playing..and just wish to finish....you may want to close it down..and do that another day..

I hated the slider puzzle..I'm usually pretty good at those..but this one..was a pain..

GameMasters should never put those in a game..without a skip option..i.m.o.
All other puzzles were rather doable..Other than her famous piano puzzles..I look to the walkthrough for those..i don't want to learn piano in a day/hour~

The one thing i did like about this game as well...hardly any reading..For the most part in her games..she has books all over the game..and they can be anywhere from 2-5 pages..I myself hardly read them..I skim them..But for those who never played one of her games..could easily get bored reading books..This game was only 1 page..or paragraph..which was nice~
The character interaction was minimum as well...as was the dialogue..

So for me..all in all..other than the slider puzzle..Good Game

ojrufee
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by ojrufee on May 23, 10 9:41 AM
time4tea wrote:Just joined forum, though I've been reading (and using the collective wisdom) for quite a while. Question to those who know better: I'd like to buy an ND adventure, but as no trials, can't decide. Which would be best one to start? Appreciate the help!

I'd try one of the two Nancy Drew dossier games first. I really enjoyed Resorting to Danger. The other one is Lights Camera Curses.

oakley007
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by oakley007 on Aug 7, 10 12:53 PM
I loved all the early ND games. Very good stories. But like an earlier poster said, they are not HOG games. More of adventure with true facts in them. I like the mayan one too! Have fun!

angelfishsb
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishsb on Aug 11, 10 8:32 AM
Someone just tell me one thing, do I have to move Nancy around like a puppet. I really hate that. Big Fish want more HOGs.

angelfishsb
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishsb on Aug 11, 10 11:33 AM
I bought this game but like my past experiences with her games and the Hardy Boys, trying to follow the directions to certain places is like being lost in a maze. Even when you go left or right when you are suppose to you don't end up where you should be. These type of games are just too frustrating and I have to go away from it to keep my sanity. But, those who like being continually frustrated, enjoy.

[Post New]by drnetzer on Sep 17, 10 12:30 PM
heidid wrote:For anyone who is looking for a walkthrough that does not just give away all the answers, check out the website for "UHS-hints" (Stands for Universal Hint System). They have nearly all the Nancy Drew games there (including this one), and the hints are very well laid-out to give small hints one at a time. In this case, there are tips on getting started and general gameplay as well as help with the puzzles.

Personally, I love the Nancy Drew series and will put this on my "buy" list, though not necessarily this month.

Have fun!

Oops Oops

[Post New]by StarTrip2703 on Dec 31, 10 7:08 AM
Ya I have never bought a Nancy Drew game but htis one kinda ruined for me. I can't figure it out and BFG has no walkthrough to help out. I am so not going to buy another game like this. Sorry I spent the money.

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Apr 20, 11 8:18 PM
Was so happy this game came on BF. I have this game on disk but because it's an older game it's not compatible with my new computer. This is my second favorite ND game my first being the secret of the scarlet hand which is also here on BF.

Edited on 04/20/2011 at 8:21:18 PM PST

[Post New]by hutchmk on Feb 13, 12 5:32 PM
I can't get to a screen that allows me to play. I seem to be locked in the "stratagy" screen and do not know how to proceed.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 30, 13 8:14 PM
I’m rating this in comparison to the other ND games I've played and playing this game today!

Plot – You are asked to come to a B&B in San Francisco that is about to open and investigate why strange accidents keeps happening. It is fun poking around an old home and see what secrets it has.

This is not a bad game by any means and I enjoyed it, but compared to the other ND games it’s short, slightly easier than some others, and got only one location. Even the first ND game had 3 locations and seemed a bit longer. I’m playing through the later ones in order and now playing through the earliest ones in order as well.

The early games have this HUGE interface taking up half the screen and to advance the game you have to set your alarm clock. In this game everyone has a schedule and is in a certain place at a certain time so you use the alarm clock to either be able to talk to them or snoop when they are not there.
There is a “I” button on the right of the interface which gives you basic tips. On the left is a “ND” logo and when you click on it, it gives you the current in game time.

Like all ND game this isn’t a 360 game and you can’t skip puzzles. There are no achievements like in the later games. You can play junior or senior level, and the only difference is some of the puzzles are harder in senior mode.
There is a second chance in ND games but if you make a mistake you automatically go back to just before the wrong choice so you can have a do over.

In early ND games the load and save is in the same page and it’s very tricky. Highlight the save button, hit it then hit the line to write about the save and then save again. To load, highlight load screen at the left.

If you have never played a ND game before, talk to everyone, here it’s four people. If you are stuck you can phone your friends and even in senior mode this option is open to you but phone them anyway as they have information. You also need to have a paper and pencil with ND games to record things you come across, any poems, or symbols etc as you need that information to decipher other puzzles in the game.

While I enjoyed it, if you are only going to be playing one or two ND games this is not the one I would recommend and would only recommend it to true lovers of ND games or those that can get easily lost and want a very ‘contained’ game and don’t mind that it’s quite short. I played the big fish version on windows 7 and had no glitches (once I figured out the save button!)

to be continued

Go to: