Mystic Gallery

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

Re:Mystic Gallery

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Apr 19, 10 8:16 AM
This just about says it all. And while I'm always happy to see developers post in the forums, my impression of this post is that he/she wants to tell us what we are doing wrong, (slap us on the fingers) not try to gather information on what makes a game appeal to us.
Rebeca_Lily wrote:Sweetcandygame, sorry to say, but the game has very poor quality.
See Play First "Love and Death Bitten" screens with their resolution - that's the kind of resolution we want.

I couldn't find the objects, even with the magnifying glass, because the screens are blurry and muddy. Why? I play for pleasure, and hate to be tortured, only because the developer wants to show me how smart he is. Yes, may be he is smart, but I am depressed and angry, and will not buy his product.

I am not a kid to be "slapped" on the hand when I fail. That meter is not giving to me any challenge, except the bad feeling of a failure, when I miss the blurry objects, and they are blurry.

I agree with every word Bribling said. I played many "restoration" games, but this is the most annoying of them all. As if someone "hates" my effort to succeed, and put on my way all the obstacles he thought of. That's not the way to treat a customer, sorry.

[Post New]by sweetcandygames on Apr 19, 10 8:30 AM
Joyce2121 :
I think you are misunderstand my lines.. Im collecting informations, but in the same time im try to give you ANSWERS. You don't make anything wrong...except if do not give a try for the game

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 19, 10 8:43 AM
I'm not interested in playing the game, but anyone with a name like Catmoon deserves some respect, LOL.

1. Blurry images : the game has a setup on 800*600 pixels... you, who reported that problem have a much bigger screen than an old 17 inch monitor,
Most everyone in the US now has an LCD monitor. Many play on laptops with small screens, but a lot of us play on 22-24" widescreens. We expect sharp graphics, and developers are going to have to work with that expectation.

2. You can find the objects in the MIDDLE of the hint circle. It's easy ! OK.

3. You guys afraiding about any of a "meter" without a give-minute-to-understand-it... I think you guys simple HATE meters and i can't make any good one for you.
BINGO!!! So why not make the meter optional? Let me clue you in... MOST people who play straight HOGS are not interested in the story at all! They just want to relax and hunt for hidden objects. Same with timers - optional, please!

4. Too many minigames ?? It's not too much, it's a nice variety.
I like minigames, but there should be a skip button for those who don't.

5. I can't say anything for this point. Some people are able to read this text, some isn't. In my next game i will use moving pictogramms to communicate with yours
That sounds snarky. It isn't a matter of not being able to read it, but not wanting to read it. See #3.

6. Icons : it's very subjective, you don't like it, others like it.
Since I haven't actually played the game, I can't comment on this one. But personally, I couldn't care less about ranks, scores, trophies, etc., and I think I speak for many others.

Edited on 04/19/2010 at 8:47:11 AM PST

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 19, 10 8:44 AM
7. The base setup is that : you are a student... they have this scroring system to give you back more feedback on your knowledge and gameplay.
See #3.

8. For several copyright issues we aren't able to show the original titles and painters of the pictures.
"Old Masters" should be in the public domain, and usually stating the current owner is enough. If there is copyright infringement, not noting the source isn't going to help you. At least not in the US.

9. Yes, it is restoration. We have this way to restorate pictures.
I hope our next game will be more a "game for you".
If you improve the graphics quality, at least you will be in the ballpark.

Thank you for visiting with us, though. And thank you for having the courage to come and discuss the complaints. We love developers who come here and learn from us about how to make their games better. The developer of the Dracula Files even reworked the game after getting our feedback here. You might consider doing something like that, as well.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Apr 19, 10 8:46 AM
sweetcandygames wrote:Joyce2121 :
I think you are misunderstand my lines.. Im collecting informations, but in the same time im try to give you ANSWERS. You don't make anything wrong...except if do not give a try for the game

I agree with Joyce2121: The fishies here are giving honest feedback and your replies come across as reprimands, not "helpful" answers. I would strongly suggest taking their feedback seriously and with a little humility. I know it's extremely hard to make a good game and it's hard to hear less than positive feedback. However, defending your game will not convince us to play it or buy it.

asquared
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by asquared on Apr 19, 10 8:46 AM
sweetcandygames: If you're using artwork that's copyright by someone else, then the image is what's protected, not just the name. You're gambling that no one will be able to recognize an image and report you. That's not a good business risk.

This game is uninteresting to me. The images are blurry, the hidden objects are irrelevant to the image and weirdly sized, and I don't understand the scoring system. What does a high score actually do for me, as a player? I've played some games where you get little medals on each level, and then you get achievement trophies for some number of medals. That at least is a clear reward.

I also dislike the penalty for misclicks. I've played many hidden object games with penalties, and none of them were this hateful. Some games lower your score, some games blur the screen or impose moving things on it to make it hard to see, and those are all less annoying than your meter.

I really dislike being penalized for misclicks when I'm trying to place pieces of a puzzle on the screen. I did eventually figure out how to move things around without constantly getting a misclick penalty, but that was just amazingly annoying.

I played for 15 minutes and deleted the game. I do not recommend this to anyone.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Apr 19, 10 8:53 AM
sweetcandygames wrote:Joyce2121 :

Sorry if I misunderstood, but as I said, my impression.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 19, 10 8:54 AM
Emmyjane said: I agree with Joyce2121: The fishies here are giving honest feedback and your replies come across as reprimands, not "helpful" answers. I would strongly suggest taking their feedback seriously and with a little humility. I know it's extremely hard to make a good game and it's hard to hear less than positive feedback. However, defending your game will not convince us to play it or buy it.

I am giving SCG the benefit of the doubt on this issue, as he/she is obviously not a native English speaker, and there may be some problems with not only the words, but the literality with which one takes them. Like I said, at least SCG is brave enough to come and deal with the complaints.

runewarden
Herring
Herring
300 Posts

[Post New]by runewarden on Apr 19, 10 9:10 AM
The game developer's attitude seems to be very superior in that they know better than their paying customers, who are trying to be helpful and suggest what changes would make the game a decent game. What happened to the customer's always right?

I would also like to add that while I was considering giving it a shot (I'd probably uninstall after 10 minutes, giving the multitude of negative reviews and my high standard for games) - but due to the developer's attitude, I won't even do that.

And unless they start treating those trying to help them with respect, I think I'll avoid all products in future. I do think the players deserve more for their efforts to help a business to produce a decent game. I dislike seeing people here that I respect being snarked at and treated as if they are clueless when it comes to game playing. They may not know how to design a HOG, but they certainly know what will make them buy one, and that, here, is all that matters.

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Apr 19, 10 9:27 AM
I agree with phatkhat. I think what's really getting in the way here is translation, the nuances in which certain words are used or read.

I do have to add, though, that while I don't have a monitor as aged as 800x600 being its best shot, mine is a whole long way from being the wonderful ones attributed to being used by most of the players in the U.S. Reading that point made me feel like I should play my games under a sheet, to hide the poor, aged monitor I do have, lol.

And on the other hand, I keep games that I have loved in the past, playing them over for years afterward. I have some with graphics that go back over a decade and longer. I can SEE what they're showing, tho.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else: muddy graphics are a no for me, too; I have vision problems. And a meter for mistakes is unfair and preening on the part of the mythical ones grading me in the game. If I am a student, I am there to learn. I am not performing, I am trying to get better at restoring. Embarrassing me and/or judging me in the kind of light that uses a METER, doesn't seem fair to me at all.

Just my .08 cents worth.

[Post New]by sweetcandygames on Apr 19, 10 9:30 AM
phatkhat (nice nick you have !! ) : most of the time the publisher talking about the requriements for the game.
Nobody talked about 22-24 inch monitors. Its not only a decision. If you make a game for higher resolutions, then the filesize will be even bigger, and its also a problematic point for some people. I think we will design for these huge screens but not now, and not when we started to develop this game. In fact at least 2-3 more years when you will see games designed for those big screens.

To others : i promise no more meter for any of the next games !

Thanks for all the reports people. You are great ! Yes, in fact the buyer is the boss, we love you all !

[Post New]by sweetcandygames on Apr 19, 10 9:35 AM
Phatkat : just one more thing i've forgot about: there IS a "Skip Minigame" button in the game ! Its orange in the middle, it's big and you can see it in any of the minigames !

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Apr 19, 10 9:38 AM
Perhaps had they not thrown in the trophies the meter the gibberish ..& was a DD it would of found a lot of homes ..But considering all the crap that it puts you through ..It seems to go out of it's way to Annoy you ... " It's not the worst game" that has been "Thrown" in to the pond these past" Couple Weeks" !!! (Zhu Zhu )...But it sure low on the wantum-pole ...Need A Game Bad !!!! Please !!! .......

[Post New]by sweetcandygames on Apr 19, 10 9:45 AM
hey Emmyjane ! nice to see you !

"I agree with Joyce2121: The fishies here are giving honest feedback and your replies come across as reprimands, not "helpful" answers. I would strongly suggest taking their feedback seriously and with a little humility. I know it's extremely hard to make a good game and it's hard to hear less than positive feedback. However, defending your game will not convince us to play it or buy it."

Im taking seriously these reviews and comments. Im sorry that can't give you any of the "helpfull" answers just becouse nobody asked anything which is answerable with so many help. Most of the comments are written comments. Opinions.
I think i have the rights to give back an answer, just becouse everything have at least 2 different point of view. I've read yours. You can read mine, and im happy to communicate with yours on the topic.
But im sorry, you can't tell me what is the right way i must to follow.

Edited on 04/19/2010 at 9:46:07 AM PST

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 19, 10 10:43 AM
It appears to me that SCG is a game DESIGNER, and the PUBLISHER is dictating a lot of rules and standards that the designer must adhere to. That's unfortunate, really. Perhaps the PUBLISHER needs to be here and to see what people are saying.

As far as increasing the resolution vs. file size... This game is only 60 MB download, and that is about half of the size of the average HOG being marketed now, so no, I do not think increasing the resolution will make it too large. My monitor, a 24" LCD, has a native resolution of 1900x1200. That said, I have still played some games that have 600x800 resolution that have had relatively clear graphics. There is more than just the resolution going on here...

By that I'm assuming that you mean the publisher is calling the shots. But if you mean that you will make the game as you please without considering the criticism you get here, then I'm afraid the next one will bomb as well.

Straight HOG players as a rule (and there are always exceptions)...

- do not like excessive dialog
- do not care if there is much of a story or not
- want timers optional
- want clear graphics and not too many dark corners
- don't like teeny-tiny objects
- don't care about trophies or points (those are more for TM games)
- want skippable mini-games
- want useful hint systems that refill quickly
- want the object names in the list to be correctly translated

I personally am bored with HOGs, and prefer IHOGs, as do many of us. However, there is still a large market for the straight HOGs if they are well done. I remember playing the Mysteryville games when they came out, and really enjoying them. They were well made, and pretty much followed the list above. Since then, there have been many others.

I think one thing designers and developers could do is to look at the genre they want to do, play some of the games currently on the market, and then go to sites like BFG, Gamezebo, Gameboomers, etc., and read what people said about those particular games. It might be a good way to see what people actually want.

[Post New]by dragonfairy5 on Apr 19, 10 11:14 AM
sweetcandygame!

The comment about children was concerning your imagination in creating the game!
Not for my children to create it. How insulting! Is that your idea of trying to put the blame on someone else?

Yes, I am upset. Shame you did not use the children around you to help you create a better game. IF you have no children then perhaps asking some of the people that you work with to bring their children in to help all of you create a better game might just accomplish a game created by you that people would enjoy more.

You cannot read properly either. So 2 strikes against you. No imagination and you cannot read.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Apr 19, 10 11:45 AM
Come on you guys, it's obvious English isn't Sweet's native language and there's bound to be a few misunderstandings. Cut him/her some slack. They've taken the time to come in and listen, that should count for something.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Apr 19, 10 12:00 PM
phatkhat wrote:It appears to me that SCG is a game DESIGNER, and the PUBLISHER is dictating a lot of rules and standards that the designer must adhere to. That's unfortunate, really. Perhaps the PUBLISHER needs to be here and to see what people are saying.

As far as increasing the resolution vs. file size... This game is only 60 MB download, and that is about half of the size of the average HOG being marketed now, so no, I do not think increasing the resolution will make it too large. My monitor, a 24" LCD, has a native resolution of 1900x1200. That said, I have still played some games that have 600x800 resolution that have had relatively clear graphics. There is more than just the resolution going on here...

By that I'm assuming that you mean the publisher is calling the shots. But if you mean that you will make the game as you please without considering the criticism you get here, then I'm afraid the next one will bomb as well.

Straight HOG players as a rule (and there are always exceptions)...

- do not like excessive dialog
- do not care if there is much of a story or not
- want timers optional
- want clear graphics and not too many dark corners
- don't like teeny-tiny objects
- don't care about trophies or points (those are more for TM games)
- want skippable mini-games
- want useful hint systems that refill quickly
- want the object names in the list to be correctly translated

I personally am bored with HOGs, and prefer IHOGs, as do many of us. However, there is still a large market for the straight HOGs if they are well done. I remember playing the Mysteryville games when they came out, and really enjoying them. They were well made, and pretty much followed the list above. Since then, there have been many others.

I think one thing designers and developers could do is to look at the genre they want to do, play some of the games currently on the market, and then go to sites like BFG, Gamezebo, Gameboomers, etc., and read what people said about those particular games. It might be a good way to see what people actually want.

Nail on the Head !!!

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Apr 19, 10 12:08 PM
snapnhiss wrote:Come on you guys, it's obvious English isn't Sweet's native language and there's bound to be a few misunderstandings. Cut him/her some slack. They've taken the time to come in and listen, that should count for something.
Oh I'm glad you said that, I thought it was getting a bit heavy, and this is his/her baby after all, not his/her fault if it's not the prettiest!

And I say that as one of the first to slate the game lol!

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Apr 19, 10 12:31 PM
I am glad that I am not the person who developed this game, and had to put up with some of us

Come ON FISHIES...Be kind!!
Like it has been said English is NOT the developers lang. I wonder what some of us would sound like in his/her lang.

If you do not care for the game DO NOT play it...More the next day.

PLEASE BE KIND

PEN (USA)

Go to: