Re:Your Comments and Review for Masquerade Mysteries: The Case of the Copycat Curator

[Post New]by lilliyrose1 on Apr 20, 10 3:42 PM
I thought this game was OK. Finished the demo but decided not to buy the full version. As far as the hidden object games go, this one did not have the best graphics and some of the objects were very hard to find because of that. The story seemed interesting but the quality just was not worth it for me.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Masquerade Mysteries: The Case of the Copycat Curator

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 20, 10 4:17 PM
phatkhat wrote:Spoiled? Yes, I am. Some of these games would have been great a couple of years ago, but now they just don't cut it. If it doesn't have a strong adventure element, it isn't a buy for me - at least not on the full price.

This is just how I feel, too. It kinda sucks. I mean really, I miss the carefree days where any HOG with at least decent graphics made me happy as a clam, but now I just need more to want to even play out demos. Apparently "I Spy" (first HOG ever played) was my gateway drug...

paula3522
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by paula3522 on Apr 20, 10 4:45 PM
I liked the game and after an hour of the demo I was on chapter 6. There are some items that are small, but I had no problem finding them, the ones I could not find I used the hint button which charged fairly fast. I love HOGS and I dont really think this is a "junk pile" theme. There is alot of "stuff" in each scene, but the graphics are great and relative to the story. I am purchasing this game. : ) Big Fish is a great game site!! How many other game site do you know of that lets you trial a game, buy it and if not completely satisfied refund your money!! How could you lose with a game that only is $6.99!!!

xidcrikit
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by xidcrikit on Apr 20, 10 6:57 PM
Like most other people game ok but not up to par for some of the other games. Painted tower 3 cards etc. won't buy this one.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Apr 20, 10 7:10 PM
I too liked this game, but having said that I also have to say that I am not sure if it is a buy for me. There have been a few good games this past month and as some of them were "sequals" & you good folks mention in the reviews the other good games that go along with them I now have over 12 games that I want PLUS VV4 which is supposed to be coming out in the next 2 or 3 days (YIPPEE). I usually only buy my "Credit" game each month but have saved last months (mine hits on the 28th so wanted to save last months for the VV4!) So now I will have at least 2 games to get "free" this month. I got to level 4 (& 1/2) in my hour of play and I think there are like 11? levels in this it should take a good 2 to 3 hrs for completion. Does make it reasonable for a purchase, but.....still not sure.

OK Now for a SPOILER ALERT -

The screwdriver can be found on the right side of the doorway to the ballroom. Move cursor there and when the magnifying glass shows up click - the screwdriver is on top of the box.

[Post New]by lindala1955 on Apr 20, 10 9:57 PM
I really enjoyed the demo. I felt item's were sorta small but a challenge to find. I like the story thus far and am interested in finding out what happens. I think this is going to be a long game and definately worth it. It's a buy for me..

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Apr 20, 10 10:55 PM
Well, I feel like this game had a lot going for it, but it fell short of its potential. The storyline sounds great and I love the fact that there is no death, occult, etc. However, the way it unfolded left me disappointed and bored. I found a lot fo the objects too small/dark to find and the hint button was way too slow to replenish. I did like the "colorform" dressing. It was different than the usual mini-games. I really dislike having to find the spot to take photographs and even though was a little easier with a description hint, I didn't enjoy them any better than usual and there were quite a few in this game. I did appreciate the fact that the skip button replenished quickly.

Another problem I found was that there wasn't a lot of help with some of the actions. I got to the middle of chapter 4 in my hour and in one scene, I had to wait for mulitple hints because there was no indictation of what to do. This usually doesn't bother me in iHOG games, but with this one it was extremely frustrating. I think if the objects had been a little better to find, the mini-games were better, and the storyline were told in a way for it to be more interesting, the game would have been wonderful. As it is, I was happy when my demo ended and I could erase the game. Sorry

[Post New]by Mephibosheth on Apr 20, 10 11:38 PM
This is a decent game. I tried the trial on both a laptop and a desktop computer for comparison.

On the laptop, it was infuriating. The objects were too small, and with the touch pad, often impossible to grab. I had the same issue upon attempting the minigames, because the items in her inventory were junkpile-style.

However, upon using the desktop, with a much larger monitor and a mouse (yay!), the game became much easier. In the trial, I was able to get through to chapter 6, which indicates that for me, this game would be about 1 1/2 hours long, which is really not a buy for me. However, it would probably be much longer for others, as even games like RTR were relatively "short" in my book.

On the plus side, this game had gorgeous graphics, decent (at least non-mute-worthy) music and a good storyline. I especially like how in later chapters, one has to journey through several open areas to find all objects, and where having a good memory helps.

On the other hand, I had the same issue where a "hint" often just didn't HELP! The walkthrough is invaluable, but I would have preferred to not have had to resort to it. In all, the game is a buy for me, for when I need to fill a punch card, but not tonight.

brooklynblonde
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by brooklynblonde on Apr 21, 10 12:04 AM
Couldn't get excited about this one-I usually play the whole hour-made it 20 minutes with this one.

[Post New]by Basted on Apr 21, 10 2:30 AM
I like the game, but after 1 hour trial, i almost finished chapter 6, so my worry is that the game will only last me 1 hour more. So it's a pity, but no buy for me

[Post New]by candywoman48 on Apr 21, 10 8:09 AM
Didn't like it at all. Too much time in the scenarios and irritating minigames.

maggotUK
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by maggotUK on Apr 21, 10 9:13 AM
I got to nearly the end of Chapter 5, its an OK game , but its a bit boring, the concept is good, but the items where tricky to find! I used one hint per chapter, which for me wasnt too bad, the puzzles varied from bizarre toe simple, the email one was sooo hard, no clues either on it, I just had to guess, and then thought darn it, I will skip, and I NEVER skip puzzles.

[Post New]by seawood211 on Apr 21, 10 12:39 PM
I guess I'm not the only one having issues finding the screw driver. Any suggestions? If not - I think I just wasted a game credit!

[Post New]by kerrikowal on Apr 21, 10 1:11 PM
bribling wrote:I gave up in the museum when I reached the point where I needed a screwdriver to open a panel and all the Hint would do was indicate the panel which is one of the most obvious items in the game up to that point. I could not see the screwdriver. I did a good bit of random clicking and did not find it. Two Hints with the intervening wait both showed me the panel which cannot be opened without the screwdriver. I did see an object that looked like a screwdriver but no amount of clicking would bring it to my inventory. Maybe it is the screwdriver.

This also happened to me... I purchased the game, but am unable to activate the hot spot on the panel to get the screwdriver to open the panel per the walkthrough. I want my money back since I was only able to play the first two chapters.

[Post New]by JACKRUSSELL4 on Apr 21, 10 5:16 PM
I too had trouble with the screwdriver, but if you go to the door you will see a spot where you use your magnifying glass, its that simple

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by dianaluna on Apr 21, 10 5:17 PM
Well tinkz2000,
You probably saw this by now but in case you missed it in the "reviews" section, the screwdriver is in a powerbox over near the clock--move your cursor around until a magnifying glass appears-then click. I had the same trouble.

sharky12
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by sharky12 on Apr 22, 10 2:17 PM
Sadly this game is not for me. Much too hard on the eyes. But i truly do love the HOG. Sorry Big Fish.

Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Apr 22, 10 3:16 PM
Ongoldenpond wrote:I'm desperate for a good game right now and there doesn't seem to be any! Actually going back and playing some of my older (great) games and find them just as exciting and wonderful as the first time I played them. After reading the reviews for this game, I am really undecided. Guess I'll give the demo a try and find out if I want to use a credit or not!

Well I'm back after a demo and this is definitely not a game for me. Got bored after 20 minutes of endless objects to find! No longer "undecided" so I will save my credit for another game. Still waiting for a really good one to come out.

janet070
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by janet070 on Apr 23, 10 10:56 AM
Sorry, but I found this game boring. I didn't finish the demo. I am so thankful for the free demos. It saved me $6.99.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 23, 10 5:27 PM
i played for 45 minutes, made it through the first three chapters... liked the premise somewhat and thought that the objects [for the most part] were at least plausible... i disliked the music [turned it off] and the endless series of lists for the completion of what seemed to be a simple task - like getting ready for the event... the puzzles were on my short list of don'ts for gaming - the only thing i hate worse than swapping pieces is the "missing piece puzzle" where you slide it around until it looks right... doing switchboards and stuff that way is just wrong! i didn't have trouble finding the objects but found myself hitting the hint button just to get it over with... that's not a good sign... in all, i feel i gave it shot and the variety of things to do [more puzzles than most HOGs] make it good for replayability... it's better than some of what i've seen around here in the past days, but it doesn't seal the deal for me... maybe i'm getting too picky, or maybe i just want something really great! and while good - this game is not for me...

good luck to the rest of you

Go to: