roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

Re:Fiction Fixers: Alice in Wonderland comments and reviews

[Post New]by roxycavalier on May 8, 10 10:54 PM
This is one of the most fun games that I have played all week ( I am 55 years old).
It is highly under rated. I do not like most of the silly easy straight HOG and this one is more of an adventure game and is both fun and relaxing. At 30 percent off this one is a consideration. I paid full price.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on May 8, 10 11:01 PM
I enjoyed this one a lot. I am over 70 and remember when it was read to me and also when I read it to my children. A classic to be sure. I took my time and enjoyed this game without racing through. I will be waiting for the next in the series or at least it seems to promise one. Thanks again BF

Masanders
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by Masanders on May 10, 10 11:28 AM
I bought this game a few days ago and just finished playing it today. There was only one mini-game puzzle that I skipped (bouncing lobsters). It took me over 4 hours to complete it but I didn't wait for the dialogue to completely play. I read quickly and clicked my way through it towards the end of the game. But I liked the voices anyway.

I hope there is another Fiction Fixer in the works. Because of the ending I assume there will be another out soon.

I would give this game a thumbs up, maybe a 4.5 out of 5 stars. Very good.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on May 10, 10 9:28 PM
Pretty good game overall. The graphics are great and the storyline was alright. I didn't even turn off the music - which is a rarity for me. Lots of junkpile HOG scenes with some tiny objects. Mini-games were fun (except the lobsters - just not my cup of tea). I'm glad I bought it but can't go as far as saying it was an awesome game. Just a bit too many straight HOGs and not enough interactive gameplay/puzzles for me. Didn't mind the map and navigating around one bit, though. And I didn't find it childish in the least.

Doggy_lover
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by Doggy_lover on May 11, 10 5:11 AM
I was unsure about trying this game, but I'm enjoying it. The graphics are nice overall, but the HOG scenes are a bit blurry. I went ahead and purchased it after around 40 minutes of play. Cute, clever minigames and IHOG puzzles!

edit: It took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to finish. I was expecting it to be a bit longer based on what I read here, but at least I didn't breeze through it in 2 hours like normal. I love that games these days have better quality, but they need to be longer. /rant

Edited on 05/12/2010 at 2:54:21 AM PST

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on May 12, 10 8:26 PM
It took me 4 hours to finish it. I'm not quick. I really enjoyed it. I loved the characters. The graphics were very good. The hint system was great. I didn't have any problems going back and forth. Very well done. The puzzles were all so different. Some of them I just couldn't get, well maybe if I would have spent more time (got brain lazy).
I am looking forward to the second one like this.
Thank you BF! Very much enjoyed it.

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on May 13, 10 5:41 AM
I really enjoyed this game. I turned off the dialogue (a constant irritant for me with games--not only is the voice acting mostly bad, and usually with terrible British accents, I read so fast that the voices are usually only a few words in when I want to see the next line of dialogue--so it was nice to have the option of turning it off) and found the rest of the music and sound effects easy on the ears. The mini-games were mostly fun, particularly the ones with the caterpiller. Never did quite finish the one with getting the brothers home, though. I got down to the last challenge and got one brother home and eventually gave up on the other. OTOH, I enjoyed bouncing the lobsters. That was fun.

I'd call it a solid 8 on the scale of 1 to Dream Chronicles and will definitely look out for future Fiction Fixers games.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on May 15, 10 10:17 AM
Cute game. Charcters are fun and the game play is interesting. I'm on the fence though about buying it. I've added to my list of games that are a maybe. I still have four free games so I'll wait a bit longer on this one.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on May 15, 10 11:43 PM
bfgTigris wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm gonna go ahead and sticky this for the Comment and Reviews thread.

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy Posting!

Why doesn't the mod who opens the forum just DO that? Y'all are confusing ppl w/ the lack of such.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on May 16, 10 12:36 AM
I couldn't get out of the duchess's kitchen & complete the stew b/c the pewter mug never popped into inventory after I found it. Glitch? Meh I had 3 min left anyhow w/ 3 doors opened.

I agree that the voice acting was rather irksome; so was that pinging sound that kept cropping up in the music. Also that there is no earthly use for a map in a game save to fill time if you can't use it to navigate, so I wasn't fussed w/ all the to-ing & fro-ing, nor w/ the fact that there wasn't just one to-ing & fro-ing hotspot to click upon to do so, as they were in various places depending on scene. And EEEUUUWWW on picking bugs off a dog, were they smoking the hookah? Puzzles were somewhat repetitive (5 spin the doorknobs? cmon) & that skip/hint button did seem to take 4ever. The MUWHAHAHA as a random click penalty was getting on my nerves b/c.....

Even I know how to adjust clarity & brightness & contrast in a graphix program, so why professional devs can't manage it is beyond me. This was THE main issue I had w/ the game. ALL the HOs scenes were popups & therefore of smaller size than the screen, & while the graphix were well done, some of the scenes just weren't clear enough for being nearly half the size of the game. I kept finding things accidentally just by clicking on really dark spots I couldn't see a thing in. If this could be adjusted post-production (& I don't see why it couldn't be), I'd consider buying (despite the revolting plethora of bugs & worms everywhere), but I'm not paying for squinty eye wrinkles LOL

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on May 24, 10 11:03 AM
biomix wrote:It took me 4 hours to finish it. I'm not quick. I really enjoyed it. I loved the characters. The graphics were very good. The hint system was great. I didn't have any problems going back and forth. Very well done. The puzzles were all so different. Some of them I just couldn't get, well maybe if I would have spent more time (got brain lazy).
I am looking forward to the second one like this.
Thank you BF! Very much enjoyed it.

Absolutely agree. Will be eagerly awaiting a new adventure with the Fiction Fixers.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on May 31, 10 6:24 AM
i enjoyed this game

[Post New]by BellaSwan_Cullen on Jun 5, 10 3:13 AM
Loved the game. Can't wait 4 the next installment. It would b nice 2 b able 2 go 2 an area directly from the map, intead of backtracking every scene. Overall, worth every cent. Never been a fan of the story, but this really changed my perpective somewhat. Thanx BF. Keep mere games like this coming!

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Jun 11, 10 3:12 PM

A nice game for children, too simplistic for my taste.

Some history concerning Fiction Fixers: Alice in Wonderland...

Cursor Consternation!

I deleted the Fiction Fixers: Alice in Wonderland trial after about three minutes because the cursor was invisible in full screen mode, of course I could click objects, I just couldn't see what I was pointing at.

The Fix!

I turned off all mouse pointer options like cursor shadow, pointer trails, custom cursors, (use Normal Select) Snap To, etc.

I re-downloaded Fiction Fixers and much to my amazement, the cursors re-appeared in Full Screen mode. I have tested some other Cursor Consternation! BF games with great success (more, as I recall the titles of the naughty ones.)

It looks like this fixed the cursor issue, at least for me. Who would of thought something so basic to Windows would cause all this consternation?

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jun 22, 10 10:53 AM
Masanders wrote:I bought this game a few days ago and just finished playing it today. There was only one mini-game puzzle that I skipped (bouncing lobsters). It took me over 4 hours to complete it but I didn't wait for the dialogue to completely play. I read quickly and clicked my way through it towards the end of the game. But I liked the voices anyway.

I hope there is another Fiction Fixer in the works. Because of the ending I assume there will be another out soon.

I would give this game a thumbs up, maybe a 4.5 out of 5 stars. Very good.

Too lazy to type much today, and this pretty much states my feelings.
Thanks Masanders.

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Jul 8, 10 7:38 AM
Good game. Decent length. I turned the volume down, though, because the character voices grated on me. I enjoy hidden object games where you have to use the objects you find in other areas, not just find the objects for no reason, so if you like those, too, this one is for you.

Gropitou
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Gropitou on Nov 21, 10 6:53 PM
Enjoyed the demo but found it`s sequel (which i actually tried first) more interesting and had a better display.

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Nov 22, 10 11:03 PM
I played the sequel first and loved it so much I purchased this one too. This one took me 3:22 minutes and I think I liked it a little better than the sequel. The graphics weren't quite as good, but I liked the mini puzzles and object scenes better. I also think this was the longer game of the two. I give it 4 1/2 's.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 26, 10 10:43 AM
After playing Fiction Fixers: The Curse of OZ, I took another look at FF: Alice. If you, by chance, read my previous opinion - never mind...

After a second look I bought.

Just shows-to-go-you, perception is current reality. I guess the lesson here, for me at least, is to take a second look, unless I'm overwhelmingly convinced a game is really just pure garba'ge. (that's French for garbage)

[Post New]by candykahne on Dec 1, 10 10:37 PM
I've finished both Fiction Fixers, and I was impressed with the beauty and color, the clear scenes, the story was great, just like the movie with a few twist. They were both a blast to play. I sure hope that we see more Fiction Fixers or story book games in the future. I also finished The Curse of Briar Rose, it was like sleeping beauty. I loved it!

Go to: