ediegamer
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Revenant's Hunt Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by ediegamer on Nov 24, 17 11:36 AM
I'm loving this game. It's challenging and entertaining. Okay, so it's not the same caliber as Ravenhurst, but I think the devs did a really good job with this one.

r3t1r3d
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Revenant's Hunt Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by r3t1r3d on Nov 24, 17 4:15 PM
I thought the game was very well done. Its been a very long time since I was happy with the puzzles and the game story at the same time. The last couple of mcfs have not been to my liking, so pleasantly surprised with this one.

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Revenant's Hunt Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by marie1931 on Nov 25, 17 1:18 AM
Luckystar18 wrote:I have to agree with those that were disappointed with this 'MCF' game. Yet again another game in the last few years that does NOT live up to the standards of the original MCF games that were exciting, innovative, imaginative and a delight to play...this is just another boring HOG with a boring story line...I barely managed to get through the demo. No buy for me either!

I agree splicedoctor...bring back the developers of the original MCF games and I too would like to know when Dire Grove will be fixed for WIn10...one of my favorites!

Luckystar, I'm not sure that Big Fish Games Studio still exists .... Unfortunately ....

For me they should stop naming these games "Mystery Case File" ......

[Post New]by mostly_nameless on Nov 25, 17 2:26 AM
I don't know why I still buy MCF games sight unseen, because they aren't Mystery Case Files anymore. The wit, the humor, the cleverness are all gone. The genre expanding new techniques went with them. So, I didn't love 13th skull. At least it was interesting and the live actors did add something to it. I can't remember the last time one of these games tried something new.

These newer games just don't have any spark. I don't even remember what Black Veil was about and about all I remember about Broken Hour is that there was a clock tower. At least I might remember Zombie Fonzie but I don't know that this says much about the quality of the game.

It was...ordinary.

I think the sad part about this one is that it could've been so much better than it was. I mean any game that has a rubber chicken grappling hook could've given us more humor.

Oh well. Maybe next year.

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Nov 25, 17 9:59 AM
rainworm wrote:But nobody would want a MCF a fairy tale????????
so true raineworm. I love these mcf games.

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Revenant's Hunt Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by Tundei on Nov 25, 17 8:36 PM
marie1931 wrote:
Luckystar18 wrote:I have to agree with those that were disappointed with this 'MCF' game. Yet again another game in the last few years that does NOT live up to the standards of the original MCF games that were exciting, innovative, imaginative and a delight to play...this is just another boring HOG with a boring story line...I barely managed to get through the demo. No buy for me either!

I agree splicedoctor...bring back the developers of the original MCF games and I too would like to know when Dire Grove will be fixed for WIn10...one of my favorites!

Luckystar, I'm not sure that Big Fish Games Studio still exists .... Unfortunately ....

For me they should stop naming these games "Mystery Case File" ......

Agree, this game has nothing to do with MCF. I played half of the demo and had to go back dig out Escape from Ravenhearst and play it. I miss the original MCF's originality and cleverness. They are still fantastic after all the years. If they can't or won't bring the BF developers back they should just put this series to rest.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Nov 26, 17 9:19 AM
I think this was a good game(albeit a very short one) but it does not have the feel of the MCFs of the past.
It's a shame really; the developers just don't seem to get exactly what it was that made each MCF game special; which was their connection to the other MCF games.

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Nov 27, 17 8:17 AM
notice a lot of people saying this is not a MCF game. doesn't that stand for mystery case files. well this is one of those cases which the detective investigates. just like all the MCF games. I agree some games weren't as good as others like SHADOW LAKE the worst to KEY and UNLOCKED RAVENHEARST . too much ALISTER DALAMAR in last 2 RAVENHEARST games. he was fine in MADAM FATES CARNIVAL. my favorites are RETURN TO RAVENHEARST, ESCAPE FROM RAVENHEARST and MADAM FATES CARNIVAL. it's hard to compare with those 3 games but give EIPIX a break. they are trying. I rather enjoyed REVENANT'S HUNT. the main game was good but didn't care for the bonus chapter. those who liked this game enjoy it.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Nov 29, 17 8:00 AM
Standard hidden object . Nothing to connect the classic series with this game. Short, repetitive and similar to many others. Such a disappointment when this Thanksgiving gift use to be the thrill of year.

As always try before you buy.

[Post New]by judithmadams on Nov 29, 17 2:42 PM
I've read the other reviews, and I was very surprised at the vehement dislike that some had for this game. I have every single MCF game. The first several, done, I believe, by The Big Fish development team can't be beat in my estimation. Since EIPIX took over, I have been repeatedly disappointed; but still buy them because I want the entire collection. I still play several of the old games over and over again.

All that being said, this is the first MCF game since the last 3 that I purchased, that I sincerely like. I love the hidden objects and most of the mini games. Thankfully you can skip parts of the more difficult puzzles; and while I hate to skip any of them, I love that you don't have to skip the entire puzzle because there are parts in each mini-game that I really enjoyed.

Using the map is terrific; and many of the objects you find you can use soon after you find them not many screens later.

To me, this particular MCF, by the new developers, is the best since the MCF series changed development teams.

I still love Madame Fate the best and I play it over and over. I do wish the developers would try to duplicate that style.

kloanne
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by kloanne on Nov 30, 17 5:09 PM
I decided to try to enjoy this game on its own merits. I've long ago concluded that the "Golden Age" of of MCF is past and will not return. So on its own merits, I enjoyed the game as a different story line and a few new ideas from what Eipix usually produces. The multi-level puzzles were too easy, but I enjoyed finding the morphs, cards, and letter fragments, and kicking the leaves (although to what end I'm not sure!). I'll play it again but not over and over as I did the best of the MCF games (that I still revisit about annually, as I do the early Mystery Trackers games). I'm not sure why Big Fish let go of their own developers team. They were kind of the Beatles of their industry. They produced the best games that are still timely and enjoyable, and left an indelible stamp on computer games even though they disbanded way too soon for their loyal fans. Many may try to imitate their success and may produce some fine games but will never capture the imagination of the loyal fans of Big Fish (I thought Fate's Carnival came the closest and often wondered if Elephant Games had the good fortune to pick up one of the original MCF devs for that one). So on its own merits I liked the game. About time for my winter delve into Dire Grove (and maybe listen to a couple of favorite Beatles' albums for good measure). Happy gaming!

faboomama
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by faboomama on Dec 1, 17 6:51 AM
This is less MCF and more Eipix. There's nothing much here if you've played any Eipix game. The same scenes, familar story. Actually, it's much more disjointed than most Eipix stories. This seemed more like in late September someone said, 'Oh, yeah...we have to release an MCF game! Let's send them this one." And no one bothered to flesh out the story. I bought it because there was a sale and I was bored, but the game was too boring to play. I finally finished it and thought, "Well, there's 3 hours I'll never get back." Should've saved it for a plane trip.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Dec 1, 17 3:00 PM

Mystery Case Files has been around for a long time, so I thought I would change my review up a bit, and tell you some interesting facts about this legendary series.
*Huntsville broke sales records for casual games
*Rube Goldberg puzzles were first introduced in Ravenhearst
*Full motion videos were first introduced in Dire Grove
*Interactive characters were first introduced in 13th Skull
*Morphing Objects were first introduced in Escape From Ravenhearst
*The first interactive map was introduced in Shadow Lake
*Plus Item combinations were first introduced in Dire Grove, Sacred Grove
*Hidden Objects within Puzzles were first introduced in Key To Ravenhearst
*Big Fish Games Studios produced the first 9 games, ending with Shadow Lake
*Elephant Games took over production with Fate's Carnival & Dire Grove, Sacred Grove
*Eipix took over production beginning with Key To Ravenhearst
*Broken Hour was the first game in the series with an original story since 2012
*No live action videos were used since Elephant Games and Eipix took over production
*MCF hasn't had an investigation in America since Shadow Lake

BRIEF DESCRIPTIONS OF EACH MCF GAME:
-Huntsville: You play the role of "soon to be" Master Detective investigating seemingly random crimes that have occurred in Huntsville Texas.
-Prime Suspects: As a Master Detective the Queen has chosen you to investigate the disappearance of the Hope Diamond in Capital City. You narrow the thief down to 5 prime suspects and eventually nab the thief.
-Ravenhearst: This is where it all begins although there have been hints leading up to this third installment. The Queen has asked you to investigate ghostly apparitions seen at the Ravenhearst manor located in Blackpool England. Emma Ravenhearst diary is the key, but several pages are missing.
-Madame Fate: Madame Fate is a psychic medium who "sees" her own murder at the stroke of Midnight. You must investigate quirky carny workers to find out who murdered Madame Fate.
-Return To Ravenhearst: Emma warns you that Charles Dalimar still holds power over many. After discovering the ghost of the maid, Rose Somerset, you must fit the pieces together to find out what the maid has to do with this never ending saga.
-Dire Grove: After the disappearance of 4 graduate students, near Blackpool, you must put the pieces together to find their whereabouts, and determine the origin of an archaeological relic that may be responsible.
-13th Skull: You must investigate the disappearance of Marcus Lawson shortly after moving into a creepy mansion.
-Escape From Ravenhearst: It's back to Blackpool to investigate the disappearance of several residents around the manor.
-Shadow Lake: featuring actress Lea Thompson as a psychic medium who helps your investigation of the mysterious destruction of a ghost town.
-Fate's Carnival: Return to the carnival to help Madame Fate's spirit and the souls of the Carnival workers. Even more is revealed to tie the carnival back to Ravenhearst.
-Dire Grove, Sacred Grove: Return to Dire Grove to discover the mysterious Mistwalkers, and stop a feud between the residents and the mistwalkers.
-Key To Ravenhearst: you must follow the keys to unlock the Ravenhearst mystery.
-Ravenhearst Unlocked: can you stop Allister once and for all in the final Ravenhearst saga?
-Broken Hour: investigate the Huxley Boarding house where people go to be subject to strict Victorian age behaviors, aand what happens when you don't follow the rules.
-The Black Veil: Investigate a strange illness that is making its victims age rapidly, and find out who's behind its unleashing.
-The Revenant's Hunt: Master Detective returns to America in rural Vermont. The Queen has once again interrupted your vacation to investigate the mysterious death's of those who have sinned. Could the urban legend of the Revenant be true?

[Post New]by lanning on Dec 3, 17 8:00 PM
I've played every Mystery Case Files games since the first one and this is the least satisfying one. I generally don't purchase Collector's Editions because I don't find the extras to be worth the extra cost, but have been very pleased with the other MCF Collections I've bought - but not this one. Unfortunately, I'm not even sure I would have bothered with the regular version if I'd realized how little I would enjoy it.
My main problems: complex looking scenes with little interactive content, not very challenging mini-games, a few puzzles that didn't make sense even after having to use the guide (e.g., the backpack puzzle in the bonus chapter).
Hope the next one is better.

ysbrand
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by ysbrand on Dec 8, 17 5:19 PM
I really love Eipix games but since they have taken over Mystery Case Files I have totally lost my interest. Played 10 mins of this game and was so bored, deleted it. Mystery Case Files was my most favorite and I waited unpatiently for each new game. Not anymore.

[Post New]by plainjane1 on Dec 10, 17 3:59 PM
Disappointed again. There was nothing MCF about it. Even the mini games were boring, no challenge.

Badger96
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Revenant's Hunt Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Badger96 on Jan 1, 18 2:50 AM
The background paintings and environments are good, but overall this is a really meh experience. I need to stop buying Eipix games, bc they're pretty much all the same cookie-cutter game, with minimal worldbuilding, boring puzzles and lackluster story.

As everyone else said, this isn't MCF, this is Just Another Eipix Game. I'm pushing myself to actually finish it. It's not spooky, it's not atmospheric, it's just dull. I have no interest in the town, the characters, or the story.

The last few MCFs have been so forgettable that I don't even remember playing them, and this one is gonna be the most forgettable of the lot. Shadow Lake was bad but at least I remember playing that one.

Edited on 01/01/2018 at 2:53:20 AM PST

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jan 9, 18 1:15 PM
was excited when I saw another MCF games. I played it cause I bought it. read the reviews before I bought it. Guess I should have checked the forum reviews & saved my money.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Jan 10, 18 2:34 AM
I quite enjoyed this game. Yes, it's not like the original series, but it still was pretty good, with excellent graphics, an interesting story, multiple games, not too many HOGs, lots of things to do and many different scenes.

I liked the collections which weren't easy to find and often it was difficult to know if you were looking for a morphing object or something else.

I was a little disappointed with the extras like the letter - whoopee doo, but the bonus game was long and not filled with HOGs like a lot of other CEs.

Go to: