BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Special Enquiry Detail: The Hand that Feeds

[Post New]by BinLA on May 26, 10 4:25 PM
I deleted it after 12 minutes. Too boring, nothing new or interesting about it.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 26, 10 5:13 PM
ok... so murder club comparison aside... and frankly, this game could probably have been better if james patterson had a hand in it, but... i liked it, but not really enough to buy... sale or no sale, it's still money for something that i probably won't play again...

as for vance's attitude - i'm thinking she got handed a pissy assignment at the last minute with the full expectancy that she would fall flat on her face, and being saddled with two cops trying to outdo each other in the showboat arena is not exactly making her life any easier...

so, at about a out of five - maybe a DD for me!

happy sleuthing!

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on May 26, 10 7:56 PM
*yawn* That's my reaction to the game. I found it so deja vu but not as well done and quite boring. And what's up with the teeny tiny objects. Holey carp! Not a purchase for me even at $2.99. Unless I up my little blue pills and 's before game play.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on May 26, 10 8:16 PM
BelindaR53 wrote:
Great.......sale at the end of the month..... Why can't BF have these sales after the 1st of the month?? Alot of us can't buy these towards the end of the month, due to having no money, until after the 1st of the month. My SS doesn't drop until the 3rd of every month....so, I won't be able to buy any games, and there are a few I did want to buy. Now I'll have to wait, and buy them at full price.......not fair for us others that have limited income....BigFish..are you listening???

Belinda, they are just following the holiday schedule. It seems like there is a sale for every major holiday. Since Memorial Day Weekend is at the end of the month, the sale is at the end of the month. There was also a sale on Mother's Day weekend which was towards the beginning of the month. I would almost be willing to bet there will be another sale for July 4th which will again be at the beginning of the month.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on May 26, 10 8:22 PM
CasualGran wrote:

My thoughts completely. The opening conversation immediately iriitated me, I hated having to see the murder itself on such a nice young girl, and I really bumped out on the silly, tiny objects I had to find in the bedroom with that poor kid's body still on the bed. No, definitely not for me, this game.

I completely agree. Having to see the actual murder and then having the girl's body for the whole first scene was disturbing to me and a huge turn off. Isn't it enough that I know it happened to a teenager? Why do I also have to see it?

Anyway, I stopped playing my demo after 30 minutes. I was just too bored with the game. I did read all the dialogue and found it was enough to keep me informed about what was going on in the game. One thing that was frustrating is that the hint button only worked for finding hidden objects. In one scene I needed something to stand on, but no matter how much I clicked (yes you are penalized for random/rapid clicking) I couldn't find what was needed. The hint button only told me what I needed to reach which I knew already.

Even with the sale I think I will pass by this one. There are too many other wonderful games. Glad others enjoyed it though.

Astina
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by Astina on May 26, 10 8:32 PM
SS doesn't come out just on the 1st, I'm on SS and get paid on the 3rd Wednesday of the month. So no matter when they would have a sale there will be people upset.

Great.......sale at the end of the month..... Why can't BF have these sales after the 1st of the month?? Alot of us can't buy these towards the end of the month, due to having no money, until after the 1st of the month. My SS doesn't drop until the 3rd of every month....so, I won't be able to buy any games, and there are a few I did want to buy. Now I'll have to wait, and buy them at full price.......not fair for us others that have limited income....BigFish..are you listening???
[/size]

I won't be buying this one either because I found this to be a boring game. The story was interesting but the ****'s were just plain boring.

Maybe someone can help me. I have a wide screen monitor and the game doesn't fit the screen, I've tried different resolutions but can't seem to find the right one. Another reason I won't be buying.

Edited on 05/26/2010 at 8:42:05 PM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 26, 10 9:08 PM
I just finished this one and have to say that I did enjoy playing it. I love murder mysteries, and I did figure out whodunit way before the detectives did, lol. Usually found one or two items really challenging to find; the puzzles were quick and not tedious, which was a nice surprise. All in all, it was worth it to me. I liked this one.

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on May 26, 10 9:40 PM
I don't usually post my thoughts on games, because others do it so well, it would just be overkill; but this time I felt compelled to do so. I really hated this game. Enough said.

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on May 26, 10 10:43 PM
I received an e-mail regarding Big Fish Memorial Day weekend special. I heard from Customer Service and they stated as long as you are not receiving the daily news splash you are not entitled to the Memorial Day Sale. Big Fishs' home page will give some information and you need to click for more information.
Terry

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 26, 10 11:44 PM
Steve Ince is the writer for both Special Enquiry Detail and Rhianna Ford da Vinci Letter. Not sure who wrote WMClubs. Ince is an award winning writer of many video games. Not sure what a hand he had in the comic book style illustrations, but the same gritty snarky dialogue is in both.

The first scene was about like the first in RFord, very difficult to find tiny things and read all that talk but for some reason I kept on with RF, probably spent 30 min just on first scenes of both games and used lots of hints to go on with timed demo. I felt the comic book style wasn't in keeping with the other graphics, clean, crisp, photographic not stylized cartoons, give me one or the other for consistancy.

It was the music on RFord on stereo headphones that lured me into the game and frankly I came to love it, even replayed. Not sure about this one if it is that good, had muted the music. Anyway, as irritating it was at first to find objects, I came to appreciate how creatively they were in their various places visually by the artist. If I had to use hints I found myself saying to dev "good one!! got me!" which I don't react that way in most HOGs. They really did make them challenges to trick the eye.

I don't care for the unnecessary smart aleck chat, kinda like a 1940s detective movie where nobody really talks like that. And the superfluous comments like having to take time to hear a lab tech say he's taking the bullet back to the lab to test. Well duh, what do we think you're going to do with it, that's your job. This snarky stuff is catching and I find myself making snide remarks back.

Another I choked on was when they got there they say hope moving the body didn't disturb the crime scene, back on the bed. Hoped?? Well dumb me down!

On the fence myself. If it gets better as we go as did RFord (which turned out to be one of my fav ihogs once I got onto how to look for objects, or just remain to hear the very well tailored music) then I may give it a chance. Just still wondering why the first at the scene hadn't covered the body with a sheet, more realism please, no gratuitous sensationalizing with lack of respect. But then, I don't care for cheesy comic books nor violent video games, where I wish Ince would remain with his awards, not casual games.
Still ?????? except for the sale this weekend. Going to be a long time before sequels are made for the best of the best in this past year, nothing else compares with the quality I got spoiled on.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on May 27, 10 6:43 AM
Maybe someone can help me. I have a wide screen monitor and the game doesn't fit the screen, I've tried different resolutions but can't seem to find the right one. Another reason I won't be buying.

I have the same problem, unfortunately, and I have widescreen capibility and have no trouble with any other game on BF. Going in and changing my screen resolution is a hassle and I'm not very good at internal works of the PC. Is this the way the game is played as I'm not seen but one reply for this problem. Maybe I didn't read all the posts???

windchild
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by windchild on May 27, 10 7:14 AM
The dialogue is so bad that it ruins the game!That and the characters! I can't decide if they are deliberatley trying for an extreem steroytype or its really just bad writting. It dosn't add anything to the game and could easily be dropped. Other that that its a good game. Fun, nicely paced. Good hidden object scenes. I just couldn't see past the dialogue and characters.

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on May 27, 10 8:10 AM
good stuff:
* the music was relaxing & not a freaking irratating loop
*the scenes were crisp (I happened to like JAWS was teeth--kind reminds of of the first type of **** games were a club was either a weapon or a card)
*Conversation is skippable--but needed to push plot along
*all head detectives have an attitude--and the snarky comments were kinda funny
*some (not too many) object were tough to find & hint system needed--but the up side was the system refilled quickly
*can turn off game curser
Not so good:
* no magnifyer for the Teeny objects
* Graphics are crisp-but cartoonish
* interactive are "duh"
~~~~~~~~~~Overall 1/2 of 5

Lunarea
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by Lunarea on May 27, 10 9:49 AM
I have played through the demo and enjoyed many elements of the gameplay, but I will not be purchasing the game.

I really enjoyed the art. As an artist, I can appreciate how much effort and time went into creating all the scenes and events. I felt that the art style fit the plot well and set the appropriate mood. I wasn't really sold on the character design. The male detective looked straight out of the 50's sitcom, though that made him more amusing. I don't think the female detective was dressed very appropriately, but I assumed that it was a part of her background (which I didn't get to see). The rest of the characters I'd seen fit the bill: the captain, the reporter, the forensics guy, etc.

The items were at times small, or difficult to find. I didn't mind it terribly, however, as I appreciate the challenge. There was an element of guessing involved. When you're in Mai's (I think that's her name, anyway) bedroom, you have to look for a multitude of "good luck cat"-s. I had no idea what a good luck cat is, so I clicked on every cat statue or picture I could see. Some of them looked the same, but a lot of them were different. I can see a person missing an item or two this way and that can get awfully frustrating

In terms of plot, I got to the part where I was looking for a gun in the safe at the apartment. It was intriguing and I would be very curious to learn who did it. I saw some characterization, but nothing stuck with me. Just before my trial ran out, a reporter gave me a couple of hints about the female detective's past, so it's entirely possible that you get to find out more as the game moves on. I wish we were given a little more background information on the detectives early on.

Lastly, the sound ... This was the clincher for me and the reason I won't be purchasing this game. The music was alright, though not memorable. I didn't dislike it enough to turn it off. I absolutely hated the voices chosen for the characters. I'm not suggesting that the voice actors were horrible or unprofessional. But I felt that only a couple of the voices fit the character. The rest seemed terribly off, to the point where I was turned off by the character. The one that turned me off the most was the female detective and it became difficult to enjoy the parts where she was talking. I gave the game the whole hour to see if I could get used to the character voices, and I just could not do it.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on May 27, 10 10:30 AM
Boring game, horrible script, and repetitive music. Ugh...

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on May 27, 10 12:46 PM
Too much talk in this game. I rather dive into a game and play then listen to all the characters. Will pass on this.

lexi4
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by lexi4 on May 27, 10 6:23 PM
I played about 15 minutes and that was 15 minutes to much for me. The objects are to small, the dialogue is boring and there is no action. Items aren't in expected places, that didn't bother me, but the size of the items did. I wouldn't even buy this game at 2.99. Oh for some decent HOG games.

cucumber89
Salmon
Salmon
2,807 Posts

[Post New]by cucumber89 on May 28, 10 2:53 PM
I like the game play, but the voice overs are HORRIBLE. Completely irritating. I think I will buy it during the Memorial Day sale just because the game is fun, but I really wish they had chosen different voice actors...

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on May 28, 10 8:38 PM
This was not a bad game, but just not a good enough game to get right now. Probably would buy if a DD, but I have the feeling that it wasn't memorable enough for me to remember to pick it up as a DD.

anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by anonymiss on May 28, 10 10:08 PM
Well this is a definite purchase for me. Made by the same company that gave us the Agatha Christie series (Death on the Nile, Peril at End House, etc) which are some of my favourites games.

Go to: