le01
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Buried in Time

[Post New]by le01 on May 31, 10 7:22 AM
OK, so it is not a HOG. Fine by me.

I found this too easy. By the second run-through I got it and never even upgraded everything and it did not take all that long in "regular" time - not sure of exact time but less than 4 hours - and much was waiting.

Very similar to Artist Colony but less demanding.

Not worth the candle, IMHO ... good time waster if ever a DD.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on May 31, 10 7:36 PM
This game got some very worthwhile positive and negative comments -- thanks especially for the comparisons to Artist Colony.

But will it ever be possible to lose the "This game is junk because I don't like this type of game" comments?

I agree it's a little frustrating that BF often doesn't accurately label the games, but that doesn't mean we can't think for ourselves and think about what we write.

Lisa_111
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa_111 on Jun 7, 10 12:24 PM
I did not like this game, because of the "waiting" part. (Maybe operater error on my part). I was hoping it was going to be like the Great Adventures Lost in the Mountains game - but this didn't hold my attention even through the Demo.

I'm fine with cross over games (like the variety, actually) but this one didn't do it for me.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Jun 8, 10 6:39 AM
Yeah, I really liked that Lost in the Mountains game also! Have you tried Wandering Willows? That's probably the closest comparison I could make -- though they both have some unique features.

[Post New]by kasia79 on Jun 17, 10 10:04 AM
Hi,
SUPER game, better then artist colony, but much shorter....finished in 2 days. Would love it more for if would longer and more chalenging .... :-))))

misnomer
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by misnomer on Jun 17, 10 12:32 PM
I like this game, but then I looked at the photos first, and noted it was similar to Artist's Colony. (Also BFG has it labeled as a Strategy Game now) And I am grateful for any game that is not a HOG. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy an good adventure HOG, but that seems to be all that gets released anymore.

I did run into one issue, where I couldn't proceed with the game and had to restart, because none of my people could analyze the artifacts (they weren't high enough of a level) and there weren't anymore upgrades to buy, so I couldn't proceed to the next puzzle.

Other than that, fun, if short game. Especially if you are just looking to occupy an rainy afternoon, as I am.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Jun 19, 10 2:39 PM
Really surprised so many disliked this game but not surprised so many, like myself, really enjoyed it. It is very much like Artist Colony, kinda crossed with Gemini Lost.

You have a series of archaeologists working at a dig site to recover a renowned ancient diamond. Each of your people is capable of doing two skills. I did not have any issues with people not being high enough level to keep the game moving. By mid-game, I had probably 25-30 different workers, so if one is too low, big deal, pick another one. You can continue to train your people in secondary skills and also doing upgrades everyone with that skill level by a full level. Also, for people that say they sat and watched while bored. There is a fast forward button - did you think to use it? Actually, the animations are far from long anyway. I think I used the fast forward button 3 times in the whole game and that was for about 2-3 seconds only. It's just not necessary. I think many just had their minds made up not to like this game and so they didn't. Perhaps it was because the game had apparently been labeled a hidden object game (it's not at all).

One other thing that I really liked were the logic (statue) puzzles. They were intriguing to complete. However, I have one BIG complaint about them. It is VERY difficult to place the correct items in the statues hands. The first puzzle I fiddled with trying to get them to take the items about 20 times each before they finally did. I noticed it is a bit easier to trade an item (if you can get someone to take even a wrong item) than it is to get them to take an item if they aren't holding any. By mid-game, one of the puzzles (not the necklace one - I had no trouble with that one), after trying no less than 30 times for some of them to take hold of the weapons, I got disgusted and chose "skip the puzzle". The sad thing was I really WANTED to do that puzzle! And it's not as if you have to make them take it once, you need to determine the correct order so you are constantly swapping in and out. Well, I couldn't get some of them to take it even ONE time. No matter if I was aiming for the person's hand, their midsection, their face, their feet, there was no consistency and it was near impossible to work with. That was just complete crap, sorry.

Game is very short also. Finished in about 5 hours.

Edited on 10/02/2010 at 12:55:11 PM PST

Varley
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Varley on Jun 24, 10 9:07 PM
I demoed this game. I've never played anything like it, but I thought sim/straregy/time management were all applicable.

The player has a small team of archeologists to manage. The stated object of the game is to find a diamond.

At the bottom of the screen is a fast forward button and a scrollable map inset along with progress bars for hunger, sleepiness, and skill proficiency (I think).

At the top are worker icons and text instructions and cues. Worker icons can be clicked to locate a worker. Each worker has two skills. There is also a dog, Rex, that barks when he finds a place to be dug and a cook that feeds all. One receives cash for artifacts, which need to be dug up, brushed/polished and then analysed and flowers that are to be sold to the fortune teller. Workers give audible cues when a task is completed and the player can then put them on another job by clicking and dragging the avatar. Text along the top can be clicked to locate items. Workers work, eat, and sleep and it is up to the player to track all workers.

Cash is spent on hiring new workers or buying upgrade equipment. Puzzles seem to progress in level of difficulty.

This seemed to be a cute game story with clear graphics and untimed. It may appeal to a relaxed player, but not one who was not willing to pay attention to the game.

One draw back after installation is the initial unpack time (over two minutes) and then load/initialize time, again over two minutes.

Yetses
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by Yetses on Jul 1, 10 8:09 AM
so far, I am really enjoying the game. Obviously it is like Artists colony, but they've spiced it up a bit. I appreciate the fact that I can now choose who I want to join and that newcomers have higher skills.
Graphics aren't great but less clumsy than in AC.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jul 5, 10 1:49 PM
I gave this game a try but I'm afraid it's a no buy here. Still I'll give it a mixed review as some may like it:

Storyline: I wanted to listen to this all day... love the narrator. Reminded me of Deadtime Stories... I wonder if it's the same actor? She has a beautiful voice. I love this period of history so I really wanted to like this game and find out the ending of the lost jewel.

Gameplay: Easy. Really easy. Similar to Gemini Lost... but... as is the case with many games in this genre there is too much sit and wait. B.O.R.I.N.G. It moves sooooo slowly. You start out with two peeps, one who digs and one who cleans. And this is how the game play goes: Drag digger guy to a red flag. Sit and wait and wait and wait. Digger guy drops his find on the cleaning table. Drag brusher guy to cleaning table. Sit and wait and wait and wait and wait. Over and over and over... after a little bit of this you get to drag one or both of them over to the food tent. Sit and wait and wait and wait. I could have had lunch myself in the time they took to eat.

Graphics: Cute. Cartoonish. Nothing to write home about. They aren't bad, not hard to look at, just nothing special. You think "I've seen this in a thousand games before" kind of graphics.

So... it's a pass here. If you love this type of game and need something to waste an afternoon on then you'll probably like it. But to me it was just a way to waste time... not much brain power needed. Just a lot of dragging and waiting around.

[Post New]by dina1981 on Jul 9, 10 11:23 PM
I truly regret purchasing this game. I thought the gameplay would get better, but it's all the same boring thing over and over: dig, brush, analyze. I like games where you get to be a little more creative than that. I'm not a fan of HOG, so when I find a new non-HOG, I usually try it out. I have to say it's a very boring game. I agree with someone else's post who said it's just like artist colony, but a lot less challenging. Artist colony wasn't that great of a game either.

Edited on 07/09/2010 at 11:24:56 PM PST

mngal46
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by mngal46 on Jul 12, 10 3:31 PM
msymms wrote:Actually all I have to say is THANK YOU FOR A GAME THAT IS NOT A HOG. Getting tired of all the lame romantic/haunted/mysterious HOGs this site produces. They could have labelled it Pig Puke for all I care, as long as it is not another HOG.

I will buy this one.[/quote

I will second that.....and I did buy it! Delightful game, but I am stuck right now, ..guess I will have to replay.

cappy54
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

Done...Yippee!!

[Post New]by cappy54 on Jul 15, 10 5:07 AM
At first, I was dissappointed...BUT I tried it again, followed the tips and hints and found it relaxing...Nice...Not as graphic as Mina and the Islands but good...Go Big Fish!!!

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Jul 19, 10 5:29 AM
Great comments and critique Lisa522 -- you rock!

[Post New]by butterflytiger on Aug 16, 10 1:33 AM
I really liked the storyline of this game however, I was able to finish it in a couple hours, and I do not see much replay value in it so basically a waste of money. Although I do have to agree with some of the comments that I saw, I am so glad it wasn't a hidden object game. There are so many of those on this site when I see a game that is not and it seems even remotely interesting I have to at least try it. Please BigFish, that new game every day thing does not mean much when around 95% of the time the games are the same old thing.

Edited on 08/16/2010 at 1:44:23 AM PST

carolwooden
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by carolwooden on Aug 20, 10 1:10 PM
At first I didn't like this game and I soon discovered why. I hired everyone on the spot right away and upgraded to the highest degree soonest and ended up with a large group of workers who did not get a chance to expand their levels because none of them had enough experience to do so. After days on the first try I realized my mistake.

I decided to start over but this time I was more savvy and held off hiring more people until I was forced to do so. Let me explain. If there is a situation that calls for three dusters but you have only two and none of the other workers have dusting as their secondary tasks you must hire another duster. I found that it is best to pay more money and hire a duster who has the most experience.

Another thing I learned is that a worker's secondary talent must be increased. Let the person with the lowest levels take on tasks that will increase his/her levels. If a worker has already reached the highest levels there is no gain in letting him/her take on jobs that require a level-one talent. Like I said, let the others get a chance to increase their experience.

When a worker reaches level ten they can go no further so you don't have to give them any more level-increasing work. In those cases I would let a level ten work on the flowers or gather the pesky fortune flower.

Note: It is not mandatory to get the flowers to bloom. If you don't mind chasing love-struck workers around, go for it. But it's not a deal breaker.

If you don't mind the flower part, take the intended to the chow tent and let them eat or take them to the sleeping mats if they need to refresh themselves. The point is, after you take the worker with the exclamation mark over his/her head to gather the flower, you know where to find the intended.

I found there is really no need for hiring more than one cook. Just more mouths to feed even though they will soon earn a secondary talent after they reach the 4th level of cooking experience. One does not know what the secondary job will be, however.

So the second time I played I got to the end with little or no problems. As is my custom I trash-canned the game but in a day or two I was missing it so much I downloaded it again and played again with even more knowledge under my belt. This game is indeed a strategy game. The more you play the better you get and each game is different because you are using new and improved tactics.

carolwooden
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by carolwooden on Aug 20, 10 1:15 PM
lmacphe2 wrote:I don't really like this game as I am stuck right before puzzle six. It requests that I have 4 level 6 brushers and I only have three. I bought all the upgrades long beforehand and have excavated everywhere so I have no artifacts to train workers on. I don't like this part in the game where there are a limited number of artifacts. At least in artist colony you could train up workers in time. So basically, I'm wondering if there is an area I can train up a worker or if I have to start this game again. There is no help option in menu. Overall, I won't waste my time anymore with this game

Let the lower level workers build up their points. If you keep giving all of the work to workers who have already reached high levels you will find yourself in a bind further on in the game. Also, when you upgrade (let's say a brushing tent) the brushers will be bumped to a higher level immediately so save the upgrades until you need them.

carolwooden
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by carolwooden on Aug 20, 10 1:18 PM
Lisa_111 wrote:I did not like this game, because of the "waiting" part. (Maybe operater error on my part). I was hoping it was going to be like the Great Adventures Lost in the Mountains game - but this didn't hold my attention even through the Demo.

I'm fine with cross over games (like the variety, actually) but this one didn't do it for me.

One does not have to stay with the worker while they are working. There are plenty of other things to do in the interim like checking to see who is hungry and sleepy. If you leave the scene the workers finish up in a sec or two so there is no waiting if you know this trick.

carolwooden
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by carolwooden on Aug 20, 10 1:21 PM
mylilpony wrote:played 2 minutes and uninstalled immediately. This is not a HOG. It is like a Virtual Villagers game. Those of you who enjoy that type might like this. I wish that BFG would properly classify all of its games when they are introduced.

HOGs are a dime a dozen. I went after the game because it looked interesting. I didn't even realize it had been listed as a HOG. It is not as easy as one would think and playing it over and over just makes you a better player.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Aug 23, 10 1:43 AM
Just wanted to get an idea. Didn't like Artist Colony, so won't bother to download this one....

Go to: