Re:Your Comments and Review for The Inquisitor

[Post New]by birdlady101 on May 31, 10 10:22 AM
I am only going to say that I agree with most of the comments...to slow and to dark...not a buy for me

Lunarea
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by Lunarea on May 31, 10 10:39 AM
I've played through the trial and I would qualify this game as something I would buy as a daily deal. However, I won't be spending a full credit on it.

In terms of graphics, I found an lack of cohesiveness. The game starts with a written story accompanied with pencil sketches on old parchment paper. I loved the style of the sketches and how well they captured the "old" atmosphere. Then came the actual gameplay and I was a little disappointed. The parts of the game where you can interact with the environment are static photographs of modern setting that's trying to look like old medieval times. I'm not a stickler for historical accuracy, mind you, but there just seemed to be an obvious difference between the "cutscenes" and the game itself. Perhaps if the gameplay and exploration scenes were painted, it would set the atmosphere a little better.

Music was simple, but very repetitive. It was quiet enough to not be obnoxious, but going through long portions of text-only story made the simple and repetitive melody lose its charm. There was no voice-acting and no atmosphere background sound that I could note.

The story is rich and seems to be well-developed. Religion as a theme can be a real hit-or-miss with the audience, but I didn't feel too uncomfortable with it. Overall, I wanted to know more about the story and I appreciated that there was an effort to make the written language less simple and more embellished.

The gameplay was a hit or miss for me. The "cutscenes" were very long - several minutes for some of them, in fact. There is a skip button, but you can't click to advance the text faster. You can read about it in the journal later, I guess, but that left me wondering why the story wasn't just in the journal in the first place. On the other hand, there were a few instances of text in-game that I didn't get to read because I happened to click on something as the text came up. That was frustrating and there was no way to get the text to come back up. The parts where you do get to play weren't consistent in terms of difficulty. Some areas I finished in 30 seconds, while others took several minutes and more than one hint. This was especially true for the side-games like spot-the-difference. I found myself clicking randomly over the screen while the hint recharged in hopes of finding something. There was also sometimes a lack of direction - like when I got the key, but had no idea where to use it.

Edited on 05/31/2010 at 10:49:40 AM PST

angelfishsb
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishsb on May 31, 10 10:42 AM
I buy almost every HOG that is offered, even ones people say are for children (I Spy). But, this will be one I will restrain myselft from buying. Why? One thing I did not enjoy the story line. It was too drab and dark, very hard to see some of the hidden objects even when the hint is pointing right in the area. I probably would have bought it anyway but after all the reviews, I thought it would be another regret in spending my money on a dissatisfied product. Thanks everyone on your comments and reviews.

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on May 31, 10 10:49 AM
I was playing this last month, but have not finished it yet-- I was totally flummuxed by a puzzle towards the end of the game. However, I am am enjoying it and recommend it to those who like a good story. lt is creepy and interesting and has a fairly-- unique theme. It is good to play a game that is not your cookie cutter HOG. I think I will try to solve that puzzle tonight...

Edited on 05/31/2010 at 10:51:57 AM PST

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on May 31, 10 10:50 AM
I decided in the first 5 minutes that I didn't like it... and changed my mind in 5 more. After 45 minutes, I've just purchased it

The scenes are too dark, the items too hard to see, but it's nice and spooky, and a challenging, but not too hard IHOG.

anteg
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by anteg on May 31, 10 12:08 PM
[b]Very slow moving game...........if I wasn't doing the timed trial, might be different. Has a good story line, for sure! Just seems slow to me. I'm going to buy it, just because of the story. It's worth it!

anteg
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by anteg on May 31, 10 12:14 PM
I will add.the hint button SHOULD recharge faster! You SHOULD be able to move from scene to scene faster....like I said, slow moving, but I still like it!

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on May 31, 10 12:34 PM
I'm in agreement with everyone on the story A+++. I also enjoyed my hour demo. I got to chapter 5 so it's a very short game. I figured out after finding the journal that I didn't have to go through the cut scenes, I just skipped and then read the journal - much faster. Plus I don't think I lost anything by not seeing the sketches. I think I only have 30-45 minutes of the game left and so I'm not going to buy it right now. If it was longer though, I definitely would have!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 31, 10 12:44 PM
Thats not a game for me. The graphic is okay, storyline is uninteresting, only one room searching after another, very boring game. I wouldn`t buy it

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on May 31, 10 1:13 PM
cherbtoo hit the nail on the head. Totally agree with everything said. Very annoying to not be able to see the objects and then have the cursor run amok because you are trying to find something. Had to constantly use the hint button. When objects are so impossible to see there should be no limit on clicks.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on May 31, 10 1:21 PM
I remember beta-testing for this one a bit ago and one of the comments was the slowness of the text, the real difficulty with the finding some of the items..like in the swamp. I see nothing was changed..why ask us to beta test I don't know. I have to admit that the art work is really well done and the texture of the painting is deep with multiple hues. Sometimes that can cause a problem with finding small grey or brown items, which there seen to be a lot of..at least the items are era-friendly. No micowaves or cell phones snuck in there.
I don't know if this is a buy though. When you find yourself sighing..oh no, same scene different items...starting to drift off, its not a good sign.
The plot line is really interesting and I'll google inguisitors for the heck of it. What little I know of that era is that they weren't as fair minded as the main character is trying to be.
Odd pick for memorial day, but what the heck. Have fun
Kris

[Post New]by 50plusgamer on May 31, 10 1:32 PM
I didn't lile this very much and won't be buying. Apart from anything else looking for umbrellas and watering cans in a game supposedly set in the middle ages rather spoils the effect. Also it was taking far too long to get through the dialogue and it didn't grab me.

Bluester
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Bluester on May 31, 10 1:33 PM
I played 10 minutes and am done. Way to dark for one thing. The biggest reason is ..if people want to sell an English version of a game, then why don't they have someone who checks spelling and usage of words in English?

In my world there is a HUGE difference between a needle and a hairpin.

Big turnoff for continuing any further.

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on May 31, 10 2:02 PM

iasc
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by iasc on May 31, 10 2:39 PM
I'm relieved to see I wasn't the only only one to have trouble finding objects. I had an eye test today and I was beginning to think the "air puff" thing or the endless eye straining to make out "which is clearer" had messed up my eyes.
I got as far as the spot the difference (which I normally like) and quit the game after only being able to find five objects without a hint.
Aside from that; the cut scenes are too slow and boring and the whole inquisitor thing is way off. They were evil, power hungry sadists, this fellow's a bit of a wuss.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on May 31, 10 3:01 PM
I can't comment on the story because I skipped through all of it. And the game plays just fine as a basic HOG without it.

I agree that the objects are often very small and the scenes are dark and dull, but it wasn't impossible to find things.

The hidden object scenes are a lot easier than the FTD ones, which have some of the smallest differences I've ever seen and require you to find a lot of differences. It felt like they didn't want to make more objects so they just worked on tiny changes to FTD scenes instead.

And these guys love those FTD scenes. There are loads of them. Almost as many of them as hidden object scenes. I would have liked more variety in mini games.

It's not the worst game I've ever played, but it's not worth $6.99. I doubt it's even worth $2.99.

ubydudy
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by ubydudy on May 31, 10 3:08 PM
Flaxin, I know only too well where you are coming from and found out the hard way. On one of the first of the150 BF games I have purchased I couldn't solve the last puzzle of the game and never got to the end. I vowed then that I would ever buy a game that did not allow you to skip puzzles and I never have. Even though I have not had to skip many puzzles, I still won't. I agree with most of the comments for this game anyway so it won't be too hard to pass it up.

[Post New]by mnorbury52 on May 31, 10 3:13 PM
How frustrating. This showed real promise then I go to pick up objects and nothing happens.Not one of the objects on the 1st screen would pick up. I so look forward to my morning play. Really disappointing

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on May 31, 10 3:13 PM
KitKat5169 wrote:

And I would add an extra to that!

So boring, and I am sorry but I can't agree with those saying the story is good. Maybe it gets better (I quitted after 30 minutes), or maybe the story it is based on is good, but really, an inquisitor pseudo-debating on his long lost loved (well, not really lost since he was chicken enough as to not stand with her, and, isntead of cooking up revenge on his prosecuters he actually joins them to be "God's hand" on other people,?) To me the guy seemed despicable and weak and not too loyal and without the will to compromise ("oh, is she a witch? maybe she is not? I'll wait and see"). He is not even interesting enough to be a good villain and with that lack of spirit he doesn't appeal as hero (nor as anything in particular)

Still, I find it a challenge to turn a story that contains the inquisition, a supposed witch, "festering wounds", and fatal love into something so very BORING.

The dialogue scenes were looong (and for me very uninteresting). The HOGScenes were with low quality graphs (I thought my vision was blurry but now I see perfectly well again), some of the objects were put to prevent them from being found (in the cesspool for example some items were half under the items list panel -which can not be collapsed-).Despite all of this it wasn't such a big deal to locate them (though it wasclicking on the right spot as to have the game aknowledge a correct click).

Zero for music in gaming, 10 as for snooze induction.
The puzzles not original (up to where I played) and extremely easy to solve.

Its major achievement: combination of good potential plot ingredients, bad graphs and supposedly hard HOG's resulting in extreme dullness and not even a game that is fun for the deffects it might have that make it at least enjoyable to talk about in the forum.

Edited on 05/31/2010 at 3:17:59 PM PST

Ceece
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Ceece on May 31, 10 3:14 PM
Well, I had no idea that my complaints with this game were so widespread. Yes, the music is yawn-inspiring. The graphics are too dark and ill-defined, especially small objects against these (probably) brick-like walls. Between the lack of light and larger wall patterns, it's a nightmare. I like a challenge, but for me this was more defeating.

The never-ending story reading was also a turnoff for me. It's harder to get engrossed in the story and find the objects, goals and next job.

I would hope there would be a better way to mix the "old world design" with something more discernible. After 30 minutes of the demo, I just desided this was not "fun anymore" and quit/uninstalled.

Sorry, but just not put together enough for me.

Go to: