meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for AGON: From Lapland to Madagascar

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jun 6, 10 4:39 PM
There seems to be a love or hate feeling about this game. I didn't play the first one. This one has a strange beginning. Now that I understand it is really an adventure game, then I might have possibilities. I would rather play the first one in the series first though. So for now this one goes on the back burner, into my 'maybe someday' pile.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 6, 10 6:18 PM
Lisee213 wrote:
I don't know morse code, nor could I see anything in the game that might have a chart for what the symbols mean. So either the developers are assuming everyone knows morse code, or that you'll have to go outside the game for help solving this. Not cool.

Have you checked the bookshelf above the bed? There is a book containing the morse code. There is nothing in the game what would require anything from outside the game space. But what IS cool if you managed to solve the morse code without that book!

I already wrote in another topic: it's a misunderstanding that this game is complete in 14 parts and now it was split!!!! Agon is PLANNED for 14 individual episodes and this is two individual parts in a bundle. Only 4 parts have been finished as of today. All games have and will have their individual plot and can be played without playing the others. AGON-4 has been released as a full-lenghts game in itself (The Lost Sword of Toledo) and the fifth will also be one, once it is ready.
The only common thing in the AGON games is the hero with a specific mission who travels to several places and has different adventures.

Just like Nancy Drew.

Edited on 06/06/2010 at 6:19:42 PM PST

nanny2x2
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by nanny2x2 on Jun 6, 10 7:32 PM
Didn't like this game well enough to even finish the demo. I was
getting sea sick from the way you had to spin around and go up and
down to see anything.

Sorry this is a no buy for me.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jun 10, 10 12:03 PM
I'm not too sure what I think of this game. It's definitely challenging. I've gotten used to the 1st person theme and don't get dizzy anymore but I find it very difficult to navigate. I'm at the graveyard with the totem poles or whatever they are and I'm sick and tired of having to zoom in and out because you can only view two or three of them at once and you need to change them all back and forth. I'm about ready to pack it in out of the sheer frustration of that alone. If I could see them all at once, or at least just click the screen to move it around it would be all right but to have to physically zoom out and then move over to the pole you want and then zoom out again and go back is a pain in the fanny.

kelvy0303
Stingray
Stingray
4,533 Posts

[Post New]by kelvy0303 on Jun 12, 10 5:08 PM
I wanted to like this game. If the demo hadn't ended in 9 minutes, I might have. I like to figure things out and even though I'm not very good at it, it looked like a game I could figure out. Since most of my lgf's have similar navigation, that didn't bother me too much. My main complaint is all the dialogue and reading at the beginning. Don't know if it was important, but I skipped the reading. The telephone dialogue bored me so I turned the sound off. After all that, I only played about 2 minutes before boredom set in. I'm sure due to how long the opening was.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Jun 13, 10 1:09 AM
I played about half way through the demo. In ‘Options’ you can change the speed in which you look around. Since I tend to get dizzy, I changed it to Slow. Good move on my part as it was just the right speed. You also have the option of difficulty. I am usually not very good at Adventures so I changed it to Easy.
The graphics are wonderful and the music was ok, I tend to turn the music down in a game so what I heard was nice. There is no option to change the cursor but that is ok as I had no problems. It took me a while to figure out how to get out of a magnified scene. Sometimes it was hard to see the larger ‘back’ cursor as it only appeared at the very bottom of the window and was dark. It also took me a while to figure out that to change my direction. I had to press and hold the left button on the mouse, then move the cursor in the direction I wanted to go. I did not get very far in the game before being stuck and leaving. I truly think this is a game that needs a walkthrough. There is a Strategy Guide available, but it is 6.99.

I have no idea how long the game is, but I do know there are 12 locations that have to be visited. In my 35 minutes, I only got to my first destination and into the Railroad Ticket Masters office and room, which is not very far.

I know there are those who will love this game, but I just do not have the patience for them. I will say if there was a walkthrough I would consider buying just for the wonderful graphics.

Pat

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 13, 10 10:38 AM
patnsky wrote: ...if there was a walkthrough I would consider buying just for the wonderful graphics.

There are at least 3 excellent walkthroughs for this game! This is likely to be moderated but still I try - all of them can be found on game boomer s. But if you look up "The Mysterious Codex" + walkthrough you get hunderds of hits to choose from. AGON: The Mysterious Codex is a trilogy that contains these episodes too so those walkthroughs cover this game fully.

Edited on 06/13/2010 at 10:39:28 AM PST

mara54
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by mara54 on Jun 15, 10 4:40 PM
Apparently I'm one of the very few who LOVE this game which is really two games in one. Each location (Lapland & Madagascar) has two parts: a quest to find the "treasure" and playing a strategy game which you must win to advance and finally win the overall game.

The quests were challenging but not impossible although I did resort to checking a walkthrough 2 or 3 times (that pesky lemur, for instance).

Strategy games are usually something I avoid, but once I got the rules down (Madagascar game was tricky),these were fun. There is the added bonus of re-playing both as stand-alone games since different strategies will affect the outcome.

Navigation: If you're not used to it, moving your character while holding down the mouse key can be difficult and cause some dizziness. I grew acclimatized way back when thanks to playing the "Myst" series.

Graphics: Very well done. From experience with graphic-intensive games, I do recommend manually adjusting the display settings until you find what works best for you. As an example, I use the front panel buttons on my monitor to increase the Brightness, Contrast &/or Gamma.

In summary, fans of "Myst" and "Syberia" - check this one out. I highly recommend it.

[Post New]by soupysusu on Jun 29, 10 12:01 AM
I love the game, but this Lemur is beginning to annoy me. Have followed the loudest sounds but still cant get anywhere. Checked out walkthroughs too No help.Can anyone please help make it easier?I don't wanna quit on this!

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 29, 10 4:13 AM
soupysusu wrote:I love the game, but this Lemur is beginning to annoy me. Have followed the loudest sounds but still cant get anywhere. Checked out walkthroughs too No help.Can anyone please help make it easier?I don't wanna quit on this!

You have to make sure to click when the sound is really the loudest and comes from the front.
It is more difficult if you are playing with speakers. It is advisable to use a stereo headset, but even a mono one will help. Keep turning and listening in each position (node) until you make sure which is the loudest cry. You may have to turn 3-4 times to be able to decide, but later you get used to it.

This way it should be about 10-15 steps to get to the clearing. (If you make one or two mistakes you may still get back to the right path but after more mistakes you loose the lemur and find yourself at the village again).

Keep trying, it is not at all hopeless !

Ask70
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
7 Posts

[Post New]by Ask70 on Jul 14, 10 8:27 AM
I started out with playing the London part of this game and I'm hooked . Finding the clues can be tricky and frustrating but that is part of the fun..tickles my competetive nerve. (And there are walkthrough on the net so when really stuck just find one..most are great)
Had problems with the navigation too at first but there is help in the game and after that it's just about getting used to it. The 360 spinning is great - you can look around the, in my oppinion, great graphics that way.

Have problems with following the lemur in Madagascar though..As mentioned in other post: with a hearing disability it gets tricky to determin from where the sound is loudest.
I have tried headset but still end up with two directions that sound so much alike that I just wanders aimlessly in the jungle. Have been to the grave site a lot and the guard at the village wont talk to me anymore .

A option to make notes in a journal or such would be great to have - you don't have to keep track of numerous pieces of paper on your desk

All in all I like it non the less. That it has cut scenes where you just have to sit back and watch is part of the charm and slowing down is not always a bad thing..

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jul 14, 10 3:34 PM
Ask70, check the topic "Following the lemur" - hope it helps!

[Post New]by 8Redhead8 on Oct 17, 10 4:55 PM
Liked it. Only played the demo, but liked it.

[Post New]by joezie on Mar 25, 11 9:06 PM
this game sucks big time has crashes and just when you start to get into it, it ends - sorry you need to purchase next level

ettapat
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by ettapat on May 8, 11 5:52 AM
I like this game but find it hard going.
I'm stuck in the shed at the station, have fixed the steam pipe, played the notes correctly, but cannot find Kaira.

I have gone back and re done the steam puzzle again and again. I bought this game as in the trial it looked good. A bit like Syberia which I loved.

Can anyone help me please, seems I'm the only one who is trying to finish the game as the posts are quite old!

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on May 8, 11 2:23 PM
If you managed
- to get steam to the organ,
- noticed the pipe was broken and fixed it with the bandages on the workbench
- played the notes correctly: C-F-C-F-C-D-C
- AND actually heard the tone (sound should be on!)
than you've done everything correctly. Before you go out you can hear Kaira is already outside
IF you played the notes and didn't hear the tone it means there was no steam in the system. (You can always hear what you play even if it is incorrect.) If you don't, maybe you turned the tap off and didn't turn it on again after fixing the pipe.
Check these and come back if you still have problem.

Edited on 05/08/2011 at 2:24:36 PM PST

ettapat
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by ettapat on May 9, 11 5:11 AM
Thank you. I checked everything again then realised, ( a bit embarrassing really)
that of course there should be audible sounds. I hadn't switched the lever at the water tank. I was able to proceed.

I love this game it can almost drive you mad, but I like that. I love to solve puzzles.

Think the graphics are superb, not too happy with the 360 deg navigation, makes for disorientation, but slowed down it is fine.

Thank you for replying, really appreciate it.

cappy54
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by cappy54 on Jul 26, 11 6:00 AM
The Lemur part is Horrible!..I did the Toledo game and LOVED it!...I am completely lost in the Forest and NOT enjoying the game...YUK!!!

whizzkid1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by whizzkid1 on Aug 1, 11 1:57 PM
I have just finished this game at long last the lemur section was hard and frustrating for hearing problems and some of the dialogue was too much at times,,however I did overall enjoy the game

Jerripat
Herring
Herring
320 Posts

[Post New]by Jerripat on Aug 18, 11 5:33 PM
Me, too, Halotop! No walkthru - no buy. And if I buy a BF, game, I want a BF walkthru! Jerri

Go to: