Casebook

krissnook
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

Re:Casebook

[Post New]by krissnook on Oct 27, 08 2:45 PM
I would love to try this game, but all I have available to me is dial-up. I wonder how long it would take to download? Hopefully they get the bugs worked out before 10/31/08. Maybe with dial-up if I start downloading on 10/29/08 it would be done in time to try it before 10/31/08 comes. May ISP always seems to disconnect itself after about 12 hours, so I don't know about this one, but it sounds great

[Post New]by sonicflood132 on Oct 27, 08 2:52 PM
has anyone finished this game yet? or know if there is a walkthrough?? i am stuck and need help. =(

materri1
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by materri1 on Oct 27, 08 3:02 PM
Ok heres what happened with me after 3 hrs of waiting then help from the tech support. I sent him a DxDiag log and he found NOTHING wrong. Said I should be able to play this. They will keep working on a solution for this problem and will email me an update. Sorry no good news. But if anyone else was getting that same error message about the WIC thats the answer for now.

gjnashif
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by gjnashif on Oct 27, 08 3:45 PM
I spoke with tech on the live chat, they told me that they have to get a new build from the developer. That will fix the WIC problem.

As far as a virus infecting this game, there is none. if you are getting a virus, it is a false reading, especially if you are using AVG or AVAST anti-virus. I have had many of these kinds of problems with both.

I got rid of AVAST and went with Mcafee, and now everything is fine, except the problem with the WIC file. Check with your internet provider, Mcafee may be free as part of their security program. It is with mine.

When I download the WIC file I get this error message: "a newer update has already been installed". And it still did not work. My suspicions on this, and this is purely my speculation, that the WIC file may have been installed when the game updated the Direct X files. That is the only thing I can figure out at this point.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Oct 27, 08 4:04 PM
gjnashif wrote:I have tried to download the Microsoft WIC component, I get an error message which says:

"newer version of WIC already installed"
so it will not install the program at all. And I still keep getting the error message.

Same here. I have Service Pack 3 intstalled and the support page where you download the WIC recommended by Big Fish on the proceeding page of this topic, says it's for Service Pack 2 users. So no, this does not fix the problem. I too have a tech support ticket in. Sounds like this is pretty broken.

Happy2BGamin
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by Happy2BGamin on Oct 27, 08 4:16 PM
I definitely think this is a problem with the way the game downloaded and not our computers. I have hardly ever had a problems with games I have downloaded and this one won't do anything when I push play. I think we have to sit tight and wait for them to come up with a fix.

tbbw
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by tbbw on Oct 27, 08 4:20 PM
I didn't have a virus pop up. I just can't get it to load so I can play it

laurah65
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by laurah65 on Oct 27, 08 5:28 PM
I haven't tried the game yet I am waiting to see if there is any help from tech support before I do for the other players that are having problem with the game. I did download the Art of Murder: FBI Confidential and started playing it but before I had to update first and it went straight to the game. After I downloaded the game ActiveX popped up and I updated it and that was all I had to do. I will wait on this Casebook game because I just cleaned up my computer and do not want any more viruses on it. Any way all of BFG games are suppose to be virus free.

[Post New]by CRAFTYLADY98 on Oct 27, 08 6:00 PM
i downloaded it this a.m. (which took forever) and then it wouldn't open. so deleted and downloaded again and got an error and the trojan thing also.

[Post New]by barbe7312 on Oct 27, 08 7:17 PM
i have that same issue too

i clicked the link from my email regarding the purchase and that version is downloading

Edited on 10/27/2008 at 7:22:36 PM PST

ruby_leo
Clownfish
Clownfish
764 Posts

[Post New]by ruby_leo on Oct 27, 08 9:18 PM
I have windows vista! Is anyone with vista having problems downloading this game? Thought about getting it but with the comments not sure!

jentfur
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by jentfur on Oct 27, 08 10:31 PM
What a waste of a day! I am recovering from a car accident and stuck in bed - cant do anything but watch this stupid game download all day - two times just so that I can not play it - after buying it just to see if I like it. VERY frustrated - VERY frustrated.

Testing should occur on XP *AND Vista machines - desktops and laptops - that is testing things not just seeing if it works on someone at the offices computer.

looloo123
Stingray
Stingray
5,004 Posts

[Post New]by looloo123 on Oct 27, 08 10:45 PM
Jentfur very sorry your not feeling well,i hope you recover soon. have you contacte d tech support, maybe they can help you. they are so friendly,especially live chat techs.

[Post New]by Rhubarb72 on Oct 27, 08 11:31 PM
I had trouble with this game too. I tried downloading the WIC componant to no avail. The I found the forums had new info and went back to the WIC page and click on the exact link they suggested. It worked and I was able to play the game. I am playing on a lappy running windows XP service pack 2.

[Post New]by Sidslady on Oct 27, 08 11:43 PM
well I downloaded and It didn't freeze, but it also still does absolutely nothing when I hit play, so apparently I also have the WIC problem LMAO.

[Post New]by jennybakes2001 on Oct 28, 08 2:03 AM
Hey Catrin72,

I am having the roughest time trying to get a picture of the James Bond magazine and cup next to the boy's bed. I can't get into a good enough position. It keeps telling me "object too far away." i have tried numerous approaches and can't get anywhere. Any advice?

Catrin72
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by Catrin72 on Oct 28, 08 2:14 AM
jennybakes2001 wrote:Hey Catrin72,

I am having the roughest time trying to get a picture of the James Bond magazine and cup next to the boy's bed. I can't get into a good enough position. It keeps telling me "object too far away." i have tried numerous approaches and can't get anywhere. Any advice?

Don't worry about the magazine. The cup is your target. I have a wheel on my mouse so I rotate the wheel to get the () inside the [].
I'm not sure how you adjust the zoom if you don't have a wheel. Maybe the arrow keys?

Hope this helps. I'll be back in about 15 if you need more help.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Oct 28, 08 3:31 AM
As much as I hate to think of downloading this again (took like 4 hours even on DSL) I think I'm going to try that with my virus software off. I have heard stories of some files being blocked in other games by over zealous Anti-Virus software. I got no warning of virus, but it's worth a shot as the WIC file thing didn't work (said I had a newer version so did nothing) and god only knows if we'll get a new build. I thought it was an XP Service Pack 3 issue, but Catrin72 is running XP Service Pack 3 so there blows that theroy. Wish me luck. I really want to play this game. *pout*

Catrin72
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by Catrin72 on Oct 28, 08 3:37 AM
Wishing you luck Poodlebear!

It's a really great game. Have you done updates for XP recently? There might be a patch or something that I have but you don't? Or vice versa! I'm not overly computer savvy. Which makes me really glad that I'm not having this WIC issue...
I found the info on my system by right clicking on the desktop and going to Properties, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue beyond XP.

FlashKnockOut
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by FlashKnockOut on Oct 28, 08 3:43 AM
by bfgErie on Oct 27, 08 9:47 AM
For Windows XP users experiencing the WIC Component error, you can download and install the WIC Component from Microsoft and it should take care of this problem. The file you want to download and install is called "wic_x86_enu.exe" You can find this program here:

Windows Imaging Component

If your virus protection program states that it has detected a virus in the program, please note that all of our games are completely virus free. You can find more information about what to do in this case by going to this help page article:

Virus messages

If you find that these fixes to not correct the problem. Please contact our technical support team. You can contact our support team by clicking here or by clicking on the "Need Tech Support" link at the right of this page.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/27/2008 09:48:04

I got up that a newer version was allready on my computer when I was trying to install the WIC file.

Go to: