[Post New]by mrspeel99 on Jun 9, 10 4:49 PM
ditto to all of the above, Not a game that I would waste $$ on

Pleiadestar
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Explorer: Contraband Mystery

[Post New]by Pleiadestar on Jun 10, 10 11:56 AM
Well seeing as how there is no way of changing the settings this game is a total loss for me. It has taken over 5 minutes to get off the initial screen, the cursor is dragging all over the place. I usually like the NATGEO games - however thanks but NO THANKS.

Ceece
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Ceece on Jun 11, 10 2:18 AM
Well I must say I am really surprised at most of the comments. It was nice to have an informative game that wasn't just about killing, maiming or "disappearing" people. Some of the scenes WERE a little too dark to find the HOBs, but I thought the information and contemporary topic was a good trade-off. My only REAL disappointment with the game was that it was too short. I could have gone on maybe a couple more "assignments" or something.

I've done most of the Nat Geo games and found them interesting, fun a nice change of pace, and a little lacking in graphics clarity. Still for me the change-of-pace made up for that. There was only one of the others that was infuriating because the graphics were SO poor and HOBs REALLLY hard to find. I just found this one, as I said a nice change and I'm glad I bought it. I have "old eyes" too, but then this time it wasn't too bad.

I enjoyed the game even if I completed it in one night. I'm not ready yet to totally give up on NAT GEO. Keep working on it guys.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Jun 12, 10 9:35 PM
I too was not a fan of this game. I found the objects too hard to find and the story line boring. It's a pity as the focus of the game (i.e. the story and teachings) could have been a lot better done.

AdrianaCD
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by AdrianaCD on Jun 13, 10 5:34 AM
I never have good luck with Nat Geo games and therefore I don't enjoy them. This was an automatic no buy for me when I realized it was a NG game.

[Post New]by chanty12 on Jun 15, 10 10:16 PM
I bought this game and what a rip off. It was way too short.

Varley
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Varley on Jun 16, 10 10:30 PM
National Geographic Games, Action Games, and PODD

This game begins with a hidden object game. The intro can be skipped but not clicked thru. At this point, Skip, Hint, Pause, and Exit are available. If you choose skip or find all the objects, you enter
player sign-in. Seemed a little backwards. For some reason, the name ME is not acceptable - it may just be the number of characters. At this point, with no clue as to what was wrong, I had to crash the game to exit.

After restarting, playing the initial game and signing in with another name, the "home page" is shown. Here, the journal, mission selection, help, and exit are available. The journal is broken down by
mission with 2 tabs: facts and notes. Help is side x side explaining all the games. For almost every game there is a section on how to play and hints. Some have a penalty description, most have
a section on the objects, collectibles and clues available. One is timed.

Options include full screen, cursor, timer, background sound, sound effects, and music. Music is appropriate to the African theme with drums and strings mainly. Game data is only saveable at certain points, however, locations are saved.

The 9 games are:
spot the difference
spot the similar
spot the odd
jumble puzzle
hidden objects
map
drag and drop
quiz
catch falling objects

The game consists of 3 missions, each containing mini-games. These are, Diamonds, Gorillas, and Drugs. Drugs must be played last.

The game is fact filled. In each game, one can collect chests, jewels, and batteries for 'free'. Across the top runs a bar as a visual clue to the number of 'free' objects have been found, the mission number and game number within the mission, the score, number of items left to find, and time played. Across the bottom; the item list, journal, hint (the laptop as it's referred to), pause and menu.

Locations seem to be photographs of actual locations. Locations are usually clear though not always bright and there are no disctractions. They are slow (in comparison to other games of this nature) to load. Incorrect clicks are marked with a permanent x. Multiple, random clicks result in a 10 point penalty. Hint refresh is about 1 minute. Mini games are preceded by instructions and can be skipped.

Items are cleverly hidden with some obvious but many small, color on color or mostly concealed items.

This game would appeal to an intermediate, casual player with good eyesight or theme interest.

verigo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by verigo on Jun 28, 10 11:11 AM
This is about the worst game I've tried playing, as 95% of the scenes are so dark you can't tell what anything is, and so many of the clues so small you probablycouldn't see them, if the scene was lighter. I had to adjust my monitor to the max to both clarify and lighten a scene, and nothing helped. I had thought I'd enjoy the game, but when you have to use hints to make your way through it, that isn't enjoyment. I'm very very disappointed in this game for sure. It was rough going during the trial playing, but nothing to what it is once you get past that first hour. I am very sorry I bought the game. As another player said, most all the scenes ended up with red x's all over the place, as it was a case of trying to find the clues where you couldn't see what was what, and ended up using clues to get through. I finally gave up withoutcompleting it when it got to the police inventigations and scenes just got harder to see anything in them. This one needs to be removed from the sales shelf, or else remade so that you can tell one thing from another. A lot of games I've downloaded for trial playing, have had dark scenes, and I haven't bought them,but this is the worst yet. This game would take more than a pro player or top expert to get all the way through it, and then I doubt they would. I'm sure sorry I bought the game, but did based on past Nat'l Geo games that were really good. verigo.

Edited on 06/28/2010 at 11:18:13 AM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Jul 1, 10 8:31 AM
Oh well... Not for me.

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on Jul 5, 10 7:49 AM
I liked the graphics. The objects were a challenge – and I like that. The screens are slow to build and the hint is slow too. N G is always preachy/teachy but the graphics and the information are good. The find the similar things puzzle was a good twist on the find the differences puzzles.

Go to: