AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ Collector's Edition comments and reviews

[Post New]by AnnBy on Dec 2, 09 10:44 PM
They will have a trial version when the regular version of Dire Grove is released. They still had to partition that (or whatever they called it) to be as close to an hour as possible.

Miern
Salmon
Salmon
2,592 Posts

[Post New]by Miern on Dec 3, 09 1:18 AM
I have been a loyal BFG customer for years and will continue. However, I feel BFG has thought only of their bottom line instead of the customers in charging such an outlandish fee for Dire Grove. Instead, they could have charged the regular $6.99 PLUS a credit, in other words TWO credits! That would have been the extra enough to suffice! I will wait until the regular version comes out to download it. Merry Christmas everyone!
~M

hogamefan
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by hogamefan on Dec 3, 09 1:37 AM
jnwhitener wrote:Okay, I know this is suppose to be the place to review and comment about the game, but I'm having a problem. First of all, I love the game! Although, it was a little short. However, I'm still trying to figure out all the little achievements, etc, so it makes up for being a short game. Anyway, I'm having a problem solving the puzzle on the barrel in the grocery store's basement. And what number do you use for the phone? That whole little room, I assume, is a little extra, but I want to figure it out. Hint anyone?

Yes, you're correct in your first sentence about this being the thread for comments and reviews, ie length of game, quality of graphics, difficulty of puzzles, value for money etc. If you post your question in a different (correct) thread, you may get the answer you are looking for, and without causing spoilers for the people who just want to read people's opinions on the game.

milmot
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by milmot on Dec 3, 09 2:06 AM
I love the game. Very good graphics, real nice music. Great brain workout and a 4,5 hours game play.

Good replay value (objects list change each time and past achievements are kept when you replay the game under the same name).

The Collector's edition brings you a strategy guide (not as handy as an online walkthrough as you have to go to the main menu to read it) and some extras (one extra room, a game map, 4 hog scenes, 2 mini-puzzles, achievement list, and an extra video).

Is it worth an extra $14? As Bigfishgames spoiled us with $7 (or even $3) deals, no. But I gladly paid $20 anyway to thank Bigfishgames for all the fun and pleasure it gives me everyday at a bargain price.

[Post New]by ready2play on Dec 3, 09 4:40 AM
I would love to play but it sucks that you can't use your game credit to purchase the game. Not cool

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 3, 09 4:44 AM
You will be able to when the standard version is out later this month.
You will be able to use a credit against a more expensive CE when the billing system has been upgraded to handle it.

juhuwoorps
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by juhuwoorps on Dec 3, 09 5:06 AM
Good game!..however short...not like the last one..Return to Ravenhurst...

Major CON!!~

It is ridiculous you can't EXIT out of the game at the end..but made to suffer through the long boring credits!...You should be able to hit ESC...X ..Q..alt and Q...anything at all..to be able to exit from the credits...!..

medview2
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by medview2 on Dec 3, 09 5:13 AM
hogamefan wrote:
jnwhitener wrote:Okay, I know this is suppose to be the place to review and comment about the game, but I'm having a problem. First of all, I love the game! Although, it was a little short. However, I'm still trying to figure out all the little achievements, etc, so it makes up for being a short game. Anyway, I'm having a problem solving the puzzle on the barrel in the grocery store's basement. And what number do you use for the phone? That whole little room, I assume, is a little extra, but I want to figure it out. Hint anyone?

Yes, you're correct in your first sentence about this being the thread for comments and reviews, ie length of game, quality of graphics, difficulty of puzzles, value for money etc. If you post your question in a different (correct) thread, you may get the answer you are looking for, and without causing spoilers for the people who just want to read people's opinions on the game.

A little rude don't you think? Other people posted and you didn't pick on them.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 3, 09 5:25 AM
Miern wrote:I have been a loyal BFG customer for years and will continue. However, I feel BFG has thought only of their bottom line instead of the customers in charging such an outlandish fee for Dire Grove. Instead, they could have charged the regular $6.99 PLUS a credit, in other words TWO credits! That would have been the extra enough to suffice! I will wait until the regular version comes out to download it. Merry Christmas everyone!
~M

This outlandish fee of 20 bucks was the regular price here for years. You know what's really outlandish? 60 Euro ($90,47) for the new Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2.

hogamefan
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by hogamefan on Dec 3, 09 7:38 AM
medview2 wrote:
hogamefan wrote:

A little rude don't you think? Other people posted and you didn't pick on them.

Actually I did, several times - with several different people. You can check all my posts by clicking on my name. The intention was not to be rude, but to reaffirm that this particular thread is for comments and reviews only. There are still people, such as myself, who have not yet played/finished the game, but still enjoy reading people's views on it without seeing any solutions.

Edited on 12/03/2009 at 7:40:36 AM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 3, 09 7:44 AM
It can't be stressed enough in any comments thread that this is not the place for game help. There is all the rest of the forum to that.

Any answer is a spoiler to someone who only wants to find out about a game.

I wish that mods would delete game questions and answers from comments threads (or at least move them), but they can't.

[Post New]by dancingranni2007 on Dec 3, 09 8:07 AM
Coronagold wrote:When I saw 'collectors edition' I thought, "Screw December I'm getting it Now!" I'm not even halfway through it after 5 hours. (I'm not slow, just, thorough.) And the guy up there who said he was disappointed by finishing it in 3 hours must've been the same guy who finished Riven in one hour. Go back to your home planet, Ego. They miss you.

This is a stunning unexpected follow-up to RTR. I had no idea something like this was in the works. And it's very nice to see that they continue with the adventure-style navigation as well as the return of the morphing objects. True, I can live without the Blair Witch element but some of those videos are very well done. (And now I know where to look for a certain combination #.)

Marie Barone - "Better than Broadway!"

[Post New]by dancingranni2007 on Dec 3, 09 8:08 AM
Coronagold wrote:When I saw 'collectors edition' I thought, "Screw December I'm getting it Now!" I'm not even halfway through it after 5 hours. (I'm not slow, just, thorough.) And the guy up there who said he was disappointed by finishing it in 3 hours must've been the same guy who finished Riven in one hour. Go back to your home planet, Ego. They miss you.

This is a stunning unexpected follow-up to RTR. I had no idea something like this was in the works. And it's very nice to see that they continue with the adventure-style navigation as well as the return of the morphing objects. True, I can live without the Blair Witch element but some of those videos are very well done. (And now I know where to look for a certain combination #.)

Marie Barone - "Better than Broadway!"

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 3, 09 8:19 AM
Laflamme wrote:
Miern wrote:I have been a loyal BFG customer for years and will continue. However, I feel BFG has thought only of their bottom line instead of the customers in charging such an outlandish fee for Dire Grove. Instead, they could have charged the regular $6.99 PLUS a credit, in other words TWO credits! That would have been the extra enough to suffice! I will wait until the regular version comes out to download it. Merry Christmas everyone!
~M

This outlandish fee of 20 bucks was the regular price here for years. You know what's really outlandish? 60 Euro ($90,47) for the new Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2.

I think that game lasts a little more than a few hours

[Post New]by dancingranni2007 on Dec 3, 09 8:19 AM
gpherder wrote:I was disappointed by the short length of this game - it took me less than 3 hours, start to finish.

Games we are required to pay full price on should at least be a decent length.

Unfortunately you missed much of the game by skipping thru it. Now wonder it only took 3 hrs. Play it again like the instructions say and this time you won't think your a wizz....lmao Always 1 in the pond

johnsharon
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by johnsharon on Dec 3, 09 8:56 AM
Is this game really worth 19.95??? Though I do love the MCF games. Hope it comes out on the club pretty soon. I am getting impatient!! Those of you who have bought the collector's edition, tell the truth was it worth it????? Very curiousl

AgnesKite
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by AgnesKite on Dec 3, 09 9:14 AM
I was looking at some other posts related to the extra content. I finished the game but missed two of the morphing items. When I played a second time I got the other two items, and all the achievements, but all I was able to get the Big Fish Games studio tour, and no other bonus content. If I start a new profile will I be able to find it?

I sure hope so, because otherwise I will be a bit disappointed at having spent the $19.95 for extras I can't find....

[Post New]by gatorspencer17 on Dec 3, 09 9:22 AM
I don't like the prices either. i have been a member for 3 years and I think it's crap!

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 3, 09 9:31 AM
AgnesKite wrote:I was looking at some other posts related to the extra content. I finished the game but missed two of the morphing items. When I played a second time I got the other two items, and all the achievements, but all I was able to get the Big Fish Games studio tour, and no other bonus content. If I start a new profile will I be able to find it?

I sure hope so, because otherwise I will be a bit disappointed at having spent the $19.95 for extras I can't find....

Agnes, if you found and opened the secret room in the village store, that's bonus content already. Apparently people who buy the normal version won't get that.

So if you completed all your achievements (and you must have done that, otherwise you wouldn't have seen the studio tour) don't bother, you have found everything the game has to offer.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 3, 09 9:39 AM
govegril wrote:
Laflamme wrote:This outlandish fee of 20 bucks was the regular price here for years. You know what's really outlandish? 60 Euro ($90,47) for the new Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2.

I think that game lasts a little more than a few hours

Well, from reviews you gather that in the multiplayer part maybe, single player campaign nah, 5-6 hours and you are through.

Go to: