Yummah
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

Starting a new game, an old question, hopefully with updated info

[Post New]by Yummah on Apr 8, 15 2:20 PM
Hi, all. I have just started playing MC a few weeks ago, and have learned some things since the last update that I wish I had known when I started playing.

Is there a way to start a new game that is more up to date than info on these fora from a year ago?

I don't care if I lost my progress, as I haven't put any money into the game. Just want to start over.

Thanks for any help!

Yummah
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

Re:Starting a new game, an old question, hopefully with updated info

[Post New]by Yummah on Apr 8, 15 2:32 PM
I should add that I have been looking at this thread.

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/281604.page

If I have to go through this to start a new game, will I still have access to the games I have purchased, or downloaded for free?

Or will I have to download every game again........

[Post New]by claire_lou28 on Apr 8, 15 2:45 PM
Hi yummah. Do you play on pc iPad or kindle? I can't speak for other devices but I had to set my kindle back to factory settings a few days ago and I lost all of my midnight castle. I have had to start afresh. All of my other games I was able to retrieve and keep my progress but not MC. So if you are playing on kindle maybe set it back to factory settings? X

Yummah
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by Yummah on Apr 8, 15 2:59 PM
HI, Claire, thanks for the welcome!

I am playing on my PC AND my iPad. 2 separate games. I am hooked!

It is the game on my PC that I would like to restart.

sbaker2318
Manatee
Manatee
4,187 Posts

[Post New]by sbaker2318 on Apr 8, 15 3:01 PM
I know there is a thread in here somewhere on starting a new game on PC......has something to do with making a new user account.........maybe do an advanced forum search for MC......say something like "start new game".

Yummah
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by Yummah on Apr 8, 15 3:06 PM
Thanks, sbaker. I have already done that search, and am hoping not to have to get a new user profile on my puter.

This thread:

forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/281604.page

Has info about deleting the BF game manager and then re-downloading it, but I have questions about my other games if I go that route.

Will I have to reload all my other games as well as MC, including games I have purchased? Or will they still be on my computer and will I be able to continue to play them after I restore the BF game manager?

I don't know enough about this stuff to know the answers to my questions.

sbaker2318
Manatee
Manatee
4,187 Posts

[Post New]by sbaker2318 on Apr 8, 15 3:32 PM
Deleting the BF game manager and/or MC will not work.........when you reinstall it comes right back to your old game.

Lots of people have numerous MC games......its something about user profile or admin account........they said its very easy to switch and play.

Reloading all your old games is no big deal.......have done it a couple of times.....just go into your BF account and look up games you have bought and just download again.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Apr 8, 15 3:51 PM
I made sure it worked before I posted. I moved my current game from the application data folder, started the game and it started from the beginning. I have posted on this before, it may not work if using Windows backup features with newer versions of Windows. I tested it on Windows XP SP3 Home Edition and Windows XP SP3 Pro Edition. I didn't have to uninstall the game manager and Midnight Castle like what was posted in the past. The only current game that I know of that will always start you in the same place is Wanderland. I used the factory restore and downloaded Wanderland, it started me off where I was before. It must be based of off the ip address or something.

Yummah
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by Yummah on Apr 8, 15 4:07 PM
Thanks, all.

I will get my son to give me a hand with tinkering to see if we can get it to work. Up to now it has just started me off where I am in the current game, but we may be missing something.

drew248
Clownfish
Clownfish
870 Posts

[Post New]by drew248 on Apr 8, 15 5:21 PM

For Windows 7 Click Start--Go To ConTroll Panel & Under "User Accounts And Family Safety" Click "Add Or Remove User Accounts"--Follow Directions There--Easy!
Then Just Install MC As You Would Any New Game

Switch Accounts Using Windows Thre3 Finger Salute--
Ctrl/Alt/Del Simultaneously
Hope This Helps
Good Questing !

Edited on 04/08/2015 at 5:21:37 PM PST

Yummah
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by Yummah on Apr 8, 15 5:40 PM
Thank you, drew!

[Post New]by llaurelwreath on Apr 8, 15 6:37 PM
why couldn't you just delete the application data program for MC and do a new download?

Yummah
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by Yummah on Apr 8, 15 6:49 PM
llaurelwreath wrote:why couldn't you just delete the application data program for MC and do a new download?

Tried that. It just started me back where I left off before I deleted and re-downloaded.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Apr 8, 15 7:08 PM
Windows XP is the easiest OS to start over in. It is as simple as deleting the game save. I did some research and found Windows Vista started using backups for Programs that would update appdata. With the scheduled automatic backups running that maybe preventing the game save from being totally deleted and just creating the game save to replace the deleted one. You could try to turn off Backup Files Schedule and than delete the game save.

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Apr 8, 15 8:00 PM
I think what you should be able to do is start another user just to get a new game and then transfer that over to your main user. That way you don't need to switch users to play. To do this -

Set up a new user on your system. When you're logged into that user, download the games manager and then MC. Start a game and save it by exiting the game.

Copy the game files from the Elephant Games\Midnight Castle folder on your second user (the new game) to a USB so you can easily transfer them.

Go back to your primary user and replace the old game files in that Elephant Game\MC folder with your new game. This should set your new game up on your primary user (unless it's too late and I'm hallucinating, in which case ignore me and listen to tazruby2000)

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Apr 8, 15 8:36 PM
I posted awhile back about creating a new Windows User Account and starting a new game. And then transferring to a regular account.

How to start over / new game... (PC Version)

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/297273.page

You won't need a flash drive to transfer the game save from one user to the other user folder. The flash drive would be needed if your going to backup your game save just for safe keeping. Just right click and choose the copy option or Ctrl+C on the folder you want. Then right click and choose the paste option or Ctrl+V to paste it in the location you want. You won't need to download the Game Manager or Midnight Castle if you already have it installed, it is installed for all user.

Go to: