Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: The Heart of Desolation Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 11, 15 12:40 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 04/11/2015 at 12:16:35 PM PST

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: The Heart of Desolation Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by biomix on Apr 11, 15 4:58 AM
I don't do reviews. But, I would like to say that this game held my attention to the point that I played the whole demo.
The gameplay was smooth. Everything flowed.
The minis were good, they held my attention as to where I wanted to complete the task.
You collect what looks like 'rulers' and morphing objects in the HOG parts of the game. The Hidden objects scenes are very interactive (3 different types so far).
I never follow the storyline (don't care).
Graphics are great.
I bought it along with Thursdays game. Thank you BigFish!

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: The Heart of Desolation Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 11, 15 8:29 AM
Well this Game Knocked my Socks Off!

Everything about it is superb sights, sounds, music and voiceovers are just perfect. I didn’t even manage to finish the demo as I was too busy taking everything in, as I grew up in the Far East the memories this game has bought back keep making me smile.

Levels: Casual, Advanced, Insane and Custom.

Length: 7 Chapters plus the Bonus Game.

Map: It’s a jump map that shows you where you are and the active tasks.

Inventory: Lockable.

HOS: Varied and interactive, and very well done There’s a Mahjong game to play instead. Don’t forget to collect the morphs -17 to find, one in every scene.

Mini Games/Puzzles: All different types and they were excellent.

Extras: Art, Music, Mini Games and HOS to replay, Mahjong, a Souvenir Room and Golden Heart puzzles.

Achievements: 13

Collectibles: 42 Bamboo Strips.

An absolutely beautiful game, not to be missed.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Apr 11, 15 10:14 AM
I agree with Daxadillion's review. There was quite a variety of HOS and puzzles/mini games. Graphics were bright, clear, and beautiful. So despite this game having a "You are the chosen one and you are our only hope" storyline, it will go on my buy list.

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Apr 11, 15 11:53 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Myths of the World: The Heart of Desolation Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Myths of the World: The Heart of Desolation Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: The Heart of Desolation Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Radgame on Apr 11, 15 12:06 PM
Review edited on 16 Apr: Based on completed game:
WIN 7 HP 64B & played on 42" TV via HDMI

Great game w/ stupendous graphics, detailing, scale and perspective in all 27 locations. On large screen, it was a real treat! Solid game play in this Jurassic Park (for dragons) set in Burma.

A good balance of everything - HOPs, loads of puzzles (w/ variety & diff. levels of challenge), dialogues & cut scenes. Collectibles status is marked in the scene/ HOP. Authentic-enough VOs though Mu's voice was a bit shrill. Use of magical orb was not at all overdone.

Only (-)ve: Despite the edgy warriors and dragons theme, overall feeling was so laid back as if on a visit to a Chinese-themed amusement park. Don't know why the feeling of danger/ adventure was missing.....could it be the music?

Bonus game (BG): Not as good as the main game. Has 8 locations (5 new) and a fairly lame ending IMHO.

Extras: 42 reeds (8 in BG), 17 morphs in HOPs (3 in BG), 30 souvenirs via a revisit to all locations for a new object, Mahjong (new & timed), replay HOPs, puzzles, etc.

At 1/2 price, it was worth it.

Edited on 04/16/2015 at 6:14:44 PM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: The Heart of Desolation Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by mhatfie on Apr 11, 15 1:09 PM
As twinsoniclab said this is a wonderful game and it really does have it all.

The graphics are stunning. I just want to sit and stare. The hos are just the way I like them, very interactive and fun to do. There are many puzzles and they are well done and fun also.

This game drew me in from the beginning and I've had no regrets about buying it. It's so nice when a game such as this one comes along.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: The Heart of Desolation Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 11, 15 3:02 PM
Hi all. Well, we now have 7 in this wonderful series. I don't usually tell you how I actually feel about a game until the end of my game play review, but suffice it to say that I very, very seldom give 5 stars to any game. I beta tested this one a while back and have been anxiously awaiting it's release. Yes, I made a note and gave this one 5 stars just for the beta. I have all of the others in this series and have yet to be disappointed. This game has awesome graphics, very clear and clean. Beautiful colors, very true. Excellent game play, absolutely no problems with any part of the demo. Perfect music for setting and action, and I never say that! Excellent voice overs, age and character appropriate, realistic in accent and with emotion. You can click through the dialog if you read faster than they speak.

Map is a little blah, but it works quite well to get me from point A to point B and is clear with locations and places of interest identified. SG doesn't show much, but I really didn't find a need to use it. The game flows extremely well and instructions are very clear. There is a click penalty, so be careful. HOPs are very well done, with interactive lists, silhouettes and riddles included, or you can switch to the Mahjong game. Items are not difficult to find and HOPs are very clean, no junk piles. Puzzles are not as easy as you may think in most cases. They do take some time and thought to complete and some are quite challenging. Hint system is very helpful and it does transport you to a further location.

The only collectibles I found are 17 morphing objects in the HOPs, which are not hard to find, but you do have to remember to watch for them. There is a little butterfly in the bottom right if there is an object in the HOP, which helps me remember to look. There are also 42 bamboo strips that resemble a yard stick. These are not easy to spot in most cases, and some blend quite well. So far, I have found one in each scene, so really take your time looking if you want to find them all. There are a number of achievements, but nothing we haven't seen before.

(continued below)

Edited on 04/11/2015 at 3:03:56 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: The Heart of Desolation Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 11, 15 3:03 PM
(continued)

This is one of the best games I have seen in quite some time. Everything about it is extremely well done. It is challenging, but not impossible for any level of player. You are constantly on the move and you move with purpose, not just to take up time. This one is worth the CE price and the BOGO sale this weekend makes it even better. Yes, I am definitely getting this game for my collection and I recommend it for all levels of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Although, I would be surprised. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Apr 11, 15 7:22 PM

I Really Wanted To *Heart* Heart of Desolation

Yes, I did. It's got a lot going for it. But in the end, well... read on.

Setting: You are a pilot assigned to make a drop of food and supplies to a village deep in the Himalayas. (side note - when a game starts with a plane flight or impending wedding, it's not hard to predict what will happen next). Your plane is hit by what appears to be a dragon and crashes. You survive, but something very strange is going on and you decide to investigate.

This game has beautiful and almost realistic cut scenes. The drawing style is very pleasing to look at and has a colorful simplicity. The music is light, haunting and ethereal in an upbeat Chinese style. On the down side, the voices are just OK. They sound like non-Chinese actors attempting Chinese accents.

There are four difficulty settings including my choice, Custom, where Hint refills can be set between 10-120 secs and Skip between 10-400 secs. All the sparkles, hints, tips and glints can be turned on or off as well.

The mini games (21) and hidden object (HO) scenes (17) are clever. The HO scenes (with mahjong option) are the more difficult of the two and some include riddles at the end. The special device in this game is the Golden Heart. Each time you use it you'll have a series of numbered stations and need to connect each station with the same number of lines. All of these were fairly fun to do and did not get tiring for the duration of the trial (mine ended with 8 minutes left).

What DID get tiring was the story. And it happened pretty quickly. To me, it seemed like they were making it up as they went along. I began to lose interest as it got more and more ridiculous. I'd describe it as a child's fairy tale on steroids. The devs seem to acknowledge this, as at one point your character says "I think I'm actually starting to believe all this." Well for me, Not.

CE Extras: 42 collectible bamboo strips (fairly well hidden), 17 morphing objects, souvenirs, golden heart puzzles, 13 achievements, mahjong game, bonus level, strategy guide and the other pseudo extras.

I normally love Chinese themed games but can't see buying this in either version because the story just doesn't work for me. My heart is aching because I can't feel the love for Heart of Desolation.

1/2

Edited on 04/11/2015 at 7:29:18 PM PST

reesy37
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by reesy37 on Apr 12, 15 6:07 AM
One of the best games in a while!!

I really liked this game, good story line but more importantly, good game play. Variety in HOP's, Good puzzles!!

5 Stars - *****

msilva731
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by msilva731 on Apr 12, 15 6:45 AM
I really need to start demo-ing games before buying and not go by reviews; i thought this was booooooooooooooring. I have only played about about 1 1/2 hr but i find nothing thrilling about this story at all....thank goodness i got it on sale. I have been with BFG forever and yes I am finding these games to be very repetitive and not thrilling at all any more!

[Post New]by shelterhill on Apr 12, 15 9:15 AM
I had read all the raving reviews so I was excited and looking forward to play the demo, but I was really disappointed.
A lot of things didn't make sense to me, like the knots or lines for a heart (?) didn't know what to do. So annoying..
Graphics were okay, but not as breathtaking as I have seen.
I just didn't enjoy it very much.
I thought it might be just my mood, but after the demo I returned to cadenza, I hadn't finished that one, and it made me feel better right away.
So, no buy for me

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Apr 16, 15 4:45 PM
I keep trying Eipix demos, hoping I'll fall in love again. Not this time. Puzzles are my favorite but this was puzzle overload. Interruption after interruption. If it wasn't a puzzle, and I use the term loosely, it was animation. Never got a chance to immerse myself in the game. Another detailed world that just didn't grab me. Another "contraption", the golden heart, that added another interruption. No thank you.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 25, 15 8:10 PM
I found this game so dull, I just couldn't finish it. What am I saying! I wasn't even halfway through the game when I just had to stop, it was just too boring.

It's my fault, of course. I only played the demo through the beginning: the crash and then - miracles over miracles, I actually survived? Without even a broken bone in my body? And stopped playing when I was in the - very beautifully done - meadow, where I met Mu. I stopped there.

After that, the graphics went downhill for me, as did the gameplay. And there was just too much talk !! There was absolutely no excitement in this game. Just a plain HOG, really.

Except for one other "Myths of the Worlds" game, I very much enjoyed all the other ones. But this one is just below average for me.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Aug 15, 15 10:52 PM
I loved this game and enjoyed it very much since I play slowly and enjoyed the 'eye candy'

Three quarters through it I took a deep breath and went to Win. 10 from Win.7 and the game took up right where I left off

I agree with the positive reviews and give this beauty out of 5

Played on desktop running Win 7/ 64bit and the bonus game was Windows 10

Myths of the World: The Heart of Desolation Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Sep 17, 15 1:30 PM
So many games to play and finally got to this one. I reviewed the comments, and have to say I really enjoyed this game and the storyline. The graphics were stunning, but what really floored me were the HOs. They were, as stated by one reviewer, really clever and I enjoyed them. The puzzles were really neat even though some of them gave me the blues! The map was really helpful, but the scenery on the map blended with the “!” which I missed several times. I also did not realize I was to collect the bamboo sticks until well into the game. Fortunately, I can go back in the “Extras” game play to find them. I really love the new “Extras” feature in CEs and actually look forward to replaying the HOs, puzzles, etc.

On another note, I can see why some gamers did not like some aspects of the game. The bonus play was short. And, other than finding the collectibles, the HOs and puzzles, although solvable were really difficult, and tough to achieve goals or good times. The HOs and puzzles took as much time to replay as it did during the actual game play. I suspect some hard-core gamers probably became annoyed (LOL).

Overall, I did enjoy playing the game and would buy it again.

Go to: