swainger
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

managing neighbors

[Post New]by swainger on Apr 13, 15 3:44 AM
I haven't seen this addressed recently in the forum & I need guidance. I have too many neighbors and am gradually deleting sleepers who I believe have left the game to get to a more manageable number. I have always accepted all invitations, figuring I'd try to help new players as I was helped. Today I am thinking twice about accepting any more neighbors - as I don't want to cheat those I already have. What do all of you do? Do you "decline" invitations? Thanks for any guidance.

Re:managing neighbors

[Post New]by westminsterbabe on Apr 13, 15 6:58 AM
I think some players do hit the decline button on invites. Also, I think you can just simply let the invite sit out there until it expires, which takes 96 hours from the time the person sent the invite.

Crow12000
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by Crow12000 on Apr 13, 15 9:08 AM
I decline invites for the most part unless I've just deleted sleeping neighbors. I will accept someone I'm familiar with from the forum or comps more readily than just someone random. Only so much space in the hood after all.

[Post New]by Librarian2003 on Apr 13, 15 9:10 AM
I try to keep my neighbourhood to under 100 so that everyone can have a free gift every day. I probably keep sleepers for far too long - months and months, especially those who have been good neighbours, but sometimes I find a whole bunch wake up together...

As far as invitations are concerned, I simply don't respond to incoming invitations if I don't have room for a new neighbour. The invitation does disappear when its time is up.

aventeux
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by aventeux on Apr 13, 15 9:11 AM
I suppose how you want to manage your neighbourhood is really up to you and how you want to play the game. Some players like to have huge neighbourhoods so they'll get a lot of experience just by visiting their neighbours and have a better chance of receiving help when they're holding an expedition.

I like to keep a maximum of 100 neighbours so I can gift everyone a free gift. I also keep track of who is gifting and who is sleeping and for how long. So when I receive a new invite, I accept it and delete a neighbour whose gifting habits are not to my liking.
I usually delete sleepers after 7 days (which means they haven't played for 10 days) unless they left a post in the forum about their absence or personally warned me.

I suppose I'll keep going like this until I have a neighbourhood full of players I'd like to keep and then I'll decline all invitations unless I have a free spot in my neighbourhood.

tramserran
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

managing neighbors

[Post New]by tramserran on Apr 13, 15 1:07 PM
swainger wrote:Today I am thinking twice about accepting any more neighbors - as I don't want to cheat those I already have. What do all of you do? Do you "decline" invitations? Thanks for any guidance.

Thank you for addressing this. I have been thinking about adding a post in the forum about neighbors because I like to keep my neighbors at 100 but currently have 125. I update my neighbor list on a weekly basis (it used to be Fridays but now it is Sundays).

I have a spreadsheet of neighbors as follows:
(1) I track when they go to sleep - when they wake up, I track how many days they were asleep. This gives me an idea of who is playing randomly and not daily.
If they are asleep, I highlight them in yellow and do not send them a gift. If they have been asleep for 2 weeks, then I delete them (unless they have posted their absence in the forum and then I highlight them in purple).
(2) I keep track of expeditions - who I have helped, whether or not it was successful, and who has helped me. If a neighbor has continuously failed, I direct them to the forum. If they do not take the forum advice and fail again, then I highlight them in red and will no longer help them with expeditions. I do not delete them based on failed expeditions.
(3) I keep track of gifting habits - Qty of backpack items received, freebies received, & backpack items I send. This is tracked weekly-not daily. If a neighbor has not gifted during the week, then I highlight them in light green. If they have not gifted in 2 weeks, then I highlight them in dark green and do not send them any more gifts.

This is my dilemma. I used to delete those that didn't gift in 2 weeks but now I keep them so I can earn coins & experience for visiting them, feeding their creatures, chasing away their ghosts, feeding their dragons, and joining their expeditions. But it is a lot of work to keep track of who gets a daily gift!

Everybody not highlighted in yellow, purple, or green gets ONE gift - either a backpack item or a freebie. I gift an average of 10 backpack items a day so I can have 110 neighbors that receive a gift from me every day. Currently, I have 10 sleepers and 15 non-gifters so I have room for 10 more neighbors. As time progresses, some neighbors will stop playing or stop gifting so I can add new neighbors.
If I do reach the point where I cannot gift everyone, then I will decide to either delete someone or decline invitations because daily gifting is a priority for me!

tramserran
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by tramserran on Apr 13, 15 1:17 PM
I forgot to add that I have only been playing for 11 weeks so if somebody has found an easier way to manage their neighbors, please let me know.

rheashard2
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by rheashard2 on Apr 13, 15 3:56 PM
tramserran wrote:I forgot to add that I have only been playing for 11 weeks so if somebody has found an easier way to manage their neighbors, please let me know.

There is a lot of good advice here. I think the best thing is to keep your neighbor less then 40-50 at start. Find out what system works for you. Find a way to keep track of gifting neighbors vs non gifting and sleepers. Decide how you want manage them. With a low number you can work out your system. You will develop a method so even if you can't play, you can sign on and gift neighbors, do the Mayan Maze in a short time. There isn't a right or wrong way to do this. Follow what ever method keeps your game enjoyable.

[Post New]by starmagicgreen on Apr 13, 15 4:29 PM
The amount of neighbors you decide to acquire depend on what you're looking to get out of it and also how you will satisfy the neighbors you want to keep.
My thought is that this will change dependent upon your level of play. Your needs are different as you level up.
Take a "look see" at your neighbors at different levels. Very different wishlists is my guess. Actually that's a good idea, look at your neighbors wishlists and that will determine your next step. You will be able to make an educated guess as to their preference for gifts.
Although if a wishlist is empty my thought is to send a charger. Hands down best gift to send. If you dont care that you receive any type of gift back then it really doesnt matter how many neighbors you have. You'll get what you get- and you will.
The thought is to always take care of You

afspam
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
468 Posts

[Post New]by afspam on Apr 14, 15 3:58 AM
I keep my neighbour list around 50, and mostly delete if people fall asleep for long periods of time or never gift. I hate visiting and gifting because the process is more time consuming than it should be.

Sleeping deletion depends on who it is and whether or not they've posted in the Upcoming Absences thread.

I don't run that many expeditions so dragon feeding isn't much of a consideration for me. I look more at whether or not someone sends gifts on a regular basis and what they send. If they persistently give items from past offers, not on my wish list, when it's full, that's a good indication they'll end up on the chopping block.

I certainly keep in mind that some neighbours don't always have the time to gift from the wish list and do a mass gifting.

Go to: