Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Ominous Objects: Phantom Reflection Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 16, 15 12:41 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 04/16/2015 at 6:25:41 AM PST

sammiJ
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ominous Objects: Phantom Reflection Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by sammiJ on Apr 16, 15 2:05 AM
I bought the game ONLY because of the sale, but I definitely wouldn't pay full price. There are only 12 achievements which center around the mini-games and HOPs, and unless I'm not seeing it, there are NO morphs, collectables, etc., which for most of us makes the CE more fun. Also, spelling errors drive me CRAZY, and since when is 'WALKTHROUGH' spelled 'WALKTROUGH'!! It annoys me that the devs can put all this effort into making a fun, visually well done, good storyline mostly, (albeit unoriginal evil mirrors again!), BUT don't take the time to have the game properly spell checked! There is a button that will actually DO THIS FOR YOU, but I am available for the job that is not getting done correctly, and would love the opportunity to be a game grammar Nazi!!

greytgal
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ominous Objects: Phantom Reflection Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by greytgal on Apr 16, 15 3:34 AM
Wow, you and me, both, sammiJ! When I get a chance to beta test a new game, that is always one of my suggestions /peeves . Hire a good translator, and for pete's sake, use the spell-check! Or better yet, hire us, lol!

Edited on 04/16/2015 at 3:36:09 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Apr 16, 15 6:26 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Ominous Objects: Phantom Reflection Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Ominous Objects: Phantom Reflection Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 16, 15 10:28 AM
Hi all. Wow, a left-handed custom cursor! Okay, a small plus, but note-worthy for me. As always, I review on the game play and not the story, as others have already done a very good job on that end. I thought we were finished with these blues and pinks all over the place. Very tiring on the eyes. Animation was pretty good, although not that much of it. The graphics were somewhat blurry, especially when you were in the "glass breaking" mode and the screen was jumping all over the place. Did not care for that at all. Too much broken glass for me, but fortunately you could skip it. Careful doing this, as you sometimes have conversations with the people behind the glass. Otherwise, graphics weren't too bad. Game play was good, but lagged a bit between scenes. Had no problem with the demo at all. Music wasn't too bad, a bit soothing actually. Voice overs were quite boring to me...no excitement, fear or emotion of any kind. Just reading from a script. You have a helper, a cat named Mr. Jenkins, who isn't used much so far and pretty much just sits in his corner bathing himself and doesn't seem to like being picked up.

HOPs were okay, with the standard interactive lists, silhouettes and a few puzzles thrown in. They were pretty simple and not too cluttered, but a couple of items made me think a minute before I found them. The puzzles, mostly story board type, were painfully easy, and a little boring. Hint system worked quite well and did transport you to further locations. The map was helpful as well, but is not pleasing to the eye.

The only collectibles I found are the coins used to upgrade Mr. Jenkin's room. Extremely disappointed in the lack of something more. By the end of the demo, I hadn't even spent a dime.

Needless to say, I felt that this game was pulled out of the closet and tossed in today. We have had a couple of really nice CE games lately, but this is not one of them. It isn't a bad game, just very simple, with no challenge or anything that made me want to run out and buy it to see what happens next. Due to the lack of excitement, challenge or collectibles, I really don't feel this one is CE worthy. Personally, I feel that a beginner may like this one, or someone who just wants a lazy day, no brainer kind of game. I do buy those occasionally, so I will put this one in my puddle for a "maybe" later with a "really" good buy, but probably only for the SE.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Apr 16, 15 2:22 PM
Based on demo (65 mins):

With the exception of 2 or 3 puzzles, I found all else to be run-of-the-mill, too easy w/ an overdose of cutesy (an injured puppy thrown in for good measure!). Awwwwww.....! IMO, shaking graphics violently from L to R w/ glass shatter, noises and demonic sounds doesn't create a cut scene. Doing it often is just a gimmick. Leia's voice sounded like most ads for diapers & kids' toys. Since nothing left me wanting more, it's a no-buy even as a SE.

Edited on 04/16/2015 at 2:24:59 PM PST

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 16, 15 3:18 PM
Mr Jenkins Has Very Expensive Tastes!!

Check out his Room - 18 coins for a ball of wool, 36 for a pot of flowers and 60 for 2 butterflies in a jar!!! Thank goodness caviar wasn't on the menu.

The game is relatively easy, relaxing rather than mind boggling so it’s one of those games, in my opinion, that just lets you play without being “driven up the wall with frustration” so to speak.

It’s a colourful game with good music, when the mirrors smash it’s quite loud but other than that it’s not intrusive. The voices are excellent but the down side is there is no lip synch.

Levels: Casual, Advanced, Hard and Custom.

Length: 6 Chapters plus the Bonus game, I am currently halfway through the bonus game and it’s similar to the main game’s play.

Inventory: Lockable

Map: It’s a jump map that shows you where you are and the active tasks.

HOS: Virtually everything we’ve seen before but a little bit different - lists, silhouettes, floating around objects to catch. Some were a little bit interactive and others were 100% interactive. A Match 3 game is available instead of the HOS.

Goggles: We are given a pair of goggles straight off from our father to allow us to view anomalies by choosing a different lens’ which are either green, blue or red. We are then shown the goggles where you have to drag the silhouette in the lens to exactly match the scene. I personally hate these as with other developers they took me so long to solve, but these ones didn’t. So maybe the only reviews they’ve read are complaints about this type of puzzle! Who knows.

Mini Games/Puzzles: All different types and not too hard. However there was just one where I seriously considered throwing my mouse out of the window!

Extras: Game - Dots and there seems to be 6 levels when you play it, but whatever it is I haven’t got there yet. Developer Diary which Mr Jenkins features heavily in. Concept Art, Wallpapers, Music and Mr Jenkins’ luxury Cat Room.

Achievements: I could only find 8 and all related to HOS, Puzzles or Mini Games.

Collectibles: Sadly there are only Coins for Mr Jenkins of course, no morphs or other collectibles at all. The plus side was that yesterday’s half off sale HUGE still worked when I bought it.

All in all I really did enjoy playing this game and I hope you do too.

I recommend this game!

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Apr 16, 15 4:54 PM
Radgame said:

With the exception of 2 or 3 puzzles, I found all else to be run-of-the-mill, too easy w/ an overdose of cutesy (an injured puppy thrown in for good measure!). Awwwwww.....! IMO, shaking graphics violently from L to R w/ glass shatter, noises and demonic sounds doesn't create a cut scene. Doing it often is just a gimmick. Leia's voice sounded like most ads for diapers & kids' toys. Since nothing left me wanting more, it's a no-buy even as a SE.

cbtx said:

Notable for its complete lack of innovation and originality, here is yet another game being presented as a CE worthy offering. It's not.

Using the same old time fillers we've seen so many times no longer adds to the enjoyment of the game:
---- goggles, just an annoying device that is supposed to add to the game, but only adds unneeded complexity.
---- Mr. Jackson the cat, even more annoying (not as bad as that Elf thing, though) as he screeches through the game. There was a time when "cutesy helpers" added a small degree of innovative help, but the gimmick is so old that is has become meaningless and time filling.. This one jumps about when it can be used so you don't even have to figure out if it is time to use him or not. And, as someone else said, you get a feeling of a game for kids. Such a "me too" device that some have become quite tired of. Some still like the helpers ---- not me.
---- kindergarten level puzzles that offer absolutely no challenge.
---- decorate the room, just a time filler involving the helper that adds zero to the game.
---- the story is completely unoriginal with things we have seen over and over.

So those things, along with the complete lack of challenge, make this a no buy for me.

And that pretty much says it all for me.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Apr 17, 15 8:52 AM
I purchased this game with the HUGE sale, so the price was well worth it, for a nice relaxing, chill game, which is exactly what I wanted today .
I do however agree, that for a CE, this should of had morphing objects, and extra's to find besides, the coins, so if it wasn't for the sale, I would have waited for the SE.

I have to say, I do LOVE, Mr. Jenkins, he so reminds me of my kitty, Gizmo who is now in kitty heaven, RIP, they could be twins, he was a Hemalayan Chocolate point.
I do like how Mr Jenkins hangs off of my mouse, although he doesn't jump around on my computer, when there is a task, for him to do maybe I got the calm version of him...lol!!
AND...I very much ENJOY the goggles, fitting the silhouette, into the picture, is fun, and oddly enough, something I am good at ( very surprising )... .
I also enjoyed the H0 scenes, would almost complete them, than switch to the M3, because I like those as well, and not sure yet if you can re-play them, after you finish the game, I am hoping you can, will see.
The graphics were pretty, but I like colorful graphics, and I think DM does a good job with them .
All in all, for what I was looking for in a game today, I am very happy with my purchase, I needed a chill type, and this fit the bill perfect, THANKS developers, for another FUN, OO game, I own both .

gbanjs
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by gbanjs on Apr 18, 15 1:47 PM
I have purchased almost every CE that BF has put out, so I've seen the good, bad, and the ugly. I'm a story driven player so I do this more for the bonus chapter than anything else. BUT, a good CE's extras should have collectibles, achiements and mini-games.
Story: this is a sequel and unfortunately not a good one. The first ominous had an intriguing story. For this game it's like they pulled out one of the characters and slapped a quickie together. You collect papers that supposedly advance the story, but there is no explanation. The main game ends abruptly The bonus chapter was especially disappointing. It's like the developers couldn't be bothered to actually tell a complete story. Voiceovers were ok and then seemed to disappear during the bonus chapter. Talk about no motivation.
Puzzles: very easy, only used the walkthrough for the slider puzzle (cause I HATE them), goggles were a nice touch--but these type of puzzles are usually more challenging, so another wasted opportunity
Helper: Mr. Jenkins is a cutie and the way he's used is realistic--mostly batting things down.
Collectibles: coins for decorating Mr. Jenkins' room. That's it. No morphs, no nothin'!
HO's: varied and interesting, nothing too hard, objects easy to see
Graphics: Colorful and nice to look at

Overall, I'm going to file this game under short time killer (2 hrs?)--something to do during commercials. I'll give it 2.5 stars out of 5.

GameLvr30
Stingray
Stingray
4,785 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ominous Objects: Phantom Reflection Collector's

[Post New]by GameLvr30 on May 1, 15 11:52 AM
Using the same old time fillers we've seen so many times no longer adds to the enjoyment of the game:
---- goggles, just an annoying device that is supposed to add to the game, but only adds unneeded complexity.
---- Mr. Jackson the cat, even more annoying (not as bad as that Elf thing, though) as he screeches through the game. There was a time when "cutesy helpers" added a small degree of innovative help, but the gimmick is so old that is has become meaningless and time filling.. This one jumps about when it can be used so you don't even have to figure out if it is time to use him or not. And, as someone else said, you get a feeling of a game for kids. Such a "me too" device that some have become quite tired of. Some still like the helpers ---- not me.
---- kindergarten level puzzles that offer absolutely no challenge.
---- decorate the room, just a time filler involving the helper that adds zero to the game.
---- the story is completely unoriginal with things we have seen over and over.

Nope, blech, in no way is this accurate.

I enjoyed playing this game and would recommend giving it a chance.

Edited on 06/10/2015 at 4:24:21 AM PST

Go to: