Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Reflections of Life: Equilibrium Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 18, 15 12:51 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 04/18/2015 at 11:55:04 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Reflections of Life: Equilibrium Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Apr 18, 15 11:24 AM
I definitely agree. Great game, but the grammar does grate on my nerves. It is usually overlooked because I couldn't program half as well in the programmers native language,

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Reflections of Life: Equilibrium Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by shripch on Apr 18, 15 11:50 AM
Please read twinsoniclab's review. Spot on! This is such a treat! With a sale it's just too much good stuff to find on a beautiful Saturday morning.
Everything about this game is appealing, and I want to thank the creators for their brilliant work of art. A fantastic game IS a work of art, with sweat and love thrown in for good measure.
Thank you!

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Apr 18, 15 11:51 AM
This is a buy for me....not finished the demo yet, but with the offer on it would be foolish not too!!
I thought it was a bit busy and fairylike to start with, ( I usually prefer a bit more gothic or scary,) but the gameplay kept me interested, and I think this may well turn out to be good value for money.
You get used to looking for the shards quite quickly I found, and the puzzles intrigued me. The daughter is annoying, but I think she doesn't feature too much and you can always turn off the sound if they get on your nerves!
As always, try before you buy

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Apr 18, 15 11:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Reflections of Life: Equilibrium Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Reflections of Life: Equilibrium Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Apr 18, 15 4:07 PM
When I played the beta release of the game my initial thought was that it was a terrible mess of a game. Way over the top with pinks, blues and purple coloring and quite frankly it seemed so busy that I was left wondering what was going on. Then when the game was released this morning I decided to give it another try and, WOW, I am so glad that I did and that my initial impression was oh so wrong.

Reflections of Life: Equilibrium is a complex game - something we don't expect to find in HOPA games now. The game has many layers and it is not one of those simple, mindless games where we are almost on autopilot as we navigate the various scenes. There is so much to do in this game that it is amazing. The development team is so awesome and creative that we now have a game that exceeds the ordinary and, IMHO, is spectacular.

For those of you looking for something different, it can be found among the worlds created in Reflections of Life: Equilibrium. I hope all of you will at least give it a try and perhaps you too will agree that this is one of the most outstanding HOPA games to come our way in a very long time. Truly a 10-star game among a world of 5-star games! Kudos to the developers for an outstanding game that I know I will replay many times.

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Reflections of Life: Equilibrium Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Radgame on Apr 18, 15 6:19 PM
Review edited 24 Apr: Based on completed game:
WHAT A PUZZLE-FEST!

First try of lengthy demo (85 mins? So nice of you, GrandMA!) gave a clear idea of game's many elements, but, graphics just overwhelmed me, as if an OD of AGH (Animation Growth Hormone!). I needed 4 breaks to look past all that excessive detail.......almost made me 'see'sick. However, demo replay revealed its solid and unique game play. Such a variety of puzzles and many mind-benders! Some took me over 20 mins. (or 20 attempts), thinking cap HAD to be on!

W/o a doubt, the CE was best VFM. Extras' replay of 20 puzzles, 23 HOPs and a search of 114 mirror shards is a game by itself.

2 ways to play:
- Just play game/s, skip puzzles/ shards – OR
- Go for it! Taking this route over a week ago, I'm still replaying mini-games/ puzzles (all show level of accuracy & time).

HOPs were easy to difficult; all so unique, the one w/ fog & removing rocks in your path....neat! Mirror shards were NOT easy to spot (esp. the blue one), so, pull-out tab status really helped. Locations remain unlocked only while in a portal. Map doesn’t show a lock but you can’t go back after entering a new portal. Good flow between locations despite back-and-forth. Use of ring/ lens was just right. Owl helper’s actions were very well-incorporated -kudos!

The fantasy-style, over-the-top graphics were necessary (almost) for its theme. When the last location (main game) turned a cityscape, it felt like a crash landing....fantasy over, sigh!

Main game ends very well. 28 different locations (6 chapters) whose map names & no. of locations are:
Creatos (6), Equilibrium (9), Phobius (6), Creatos (3), Actualis (3) & Creatos (1). Each has 3 mirror shards = 84.

Bonus game took on a neat twist. 10 locations: Creatos (3 previous ones w/ diff. tasks) & Motius (7 new). Each has 3 mirror shards = 30.

Hidden ‘chapter’ is just one scene w/ a mini-game of multiple HOP/ FROG. It’s unlocked after piecing together mirror shards in “Extras”.

Overall, I felt this was a BRILLIANT game with an incredible level of ideas and detail that successfully blends so many diff. game elements - NOT easy to achieve w/o overdoing it, IMHO. Absolute replay value in this work of love!

Edited on 04/24/2015 at 12:43:15 PM PST

[Post New]by MarkAlan727 on Apr 18, 15 6:41 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:HOS: Brilliant! Different! The first is like nothing I've seen before!
That twist is a staple of the "Mortimer Beckett" series which is only available on other game websites.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 18, 15 7:11 PM
Hi all. We have another Reflections game today. If you have played the first and liked it, you will like this one as well. Graphics are pretty good, although not a lot of animation other than the owl (noisy and annoying with his flapping wings). Game play was good, no problems with the demo. There are a lot of blues and pink, again, which I find quite tiring on the eyes. Music isn't too bad, but monotonous...few notes, quite repetitive. Voice overs left a lot to be desired. Very "ho-hum" with no emotion and somewhat silly dialog. The one thing I really didn't care for are the floating jellyfish. What is that supposed to be? This game does have very nice sound FX.

HOPs are very few and far between, but are very clean and items are not hard to find. Puzzles are a bit challenging and different and I found them to be quite enjoyable. I even had to skip a couple, mostly because they were time consuming and I wanted to play more of the demo. These do take some brain power and patience. You can switch to a match 3 if you don't care for the HOPs, or just get tired of them. The couple I did run across were both the same type, so no change up here. In some cases, you will take a lot of steps in order to complete an objective. It isn't a straight forward game at all. Hint system is helpful and does transport to long locations. The jump map was a bit clunky and I found that I usually had to click more than once to jump anywhere. From the looks of the map, this might be a fairly long game. Did not find any need to use the SG.

The only collectibles I found so far are 114 mirror shards...114! They are not hard to spot, and are fairly good sized, but you do have to look to see them. In most cases, they don't jump out at you and blend pretty well in some scenes.

I beta tested this one a while back and wasn't thrown off my chair, and I see they didn't pay any attention to the suggestions either. Yes, there are a lot of collectibles, but not many HOPs so far, so hopefully that picks up somewhat. Some things in this game were a little odd, like the symbol with the car and helicopter and then the ink pen...none of which were in that time period. All that being said, I did not dislike this game, but found that it moved rather slowly. I think I need to get this one, only to see if I can find the 114 shards. Plus, I did like the puzzles. Yes, it is a buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sha49tn1
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by sha49tn1 on Apr 18, 15 8:13 PM
This seems like an interesting game, & the visuals are great. However, I had some tech issues, which I posted on that post.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Apr 19, 15 9:30 AM
This game is fantastic. My initial assessment of it was totally wrong. I'm so glad I gave it a second look. There are few hos and many puzzles which are not all that easy but fun once you engage your brain. Its different, its fun and there is a lot to do and look at. Next time I won't be so quick to judge a game before giving it a thorough test drive.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Apr 19, 15 1:15 PM

I Could Hardly "Espera" To Exit Out of This Game.

I could not even write down any notes on the game because I disliked it so much. I do remember that there was a little princess Espera that I did not care about saving, and a Queen that I didn't care about rescuing. The only fun I had was finding the glass shards in each scene. There are a total of 114, which means there are 38 scenes - a fairly large number. You also have a Vision Ray thing that is supposed to let you look into the future. Oh, and an owl that flapped so much it forced me to turn off the sound.

There is a lot to do in each scene all right. But the color palette, style of the drawing, nature of the characters, and the fairy tale story line were 100% unappealing to me. So, "besides that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

It is my opinion, based on the elements noted above, that this game was aimed mainly towards our FFF's (fabulous female fishes). And based on the other reviews I've read, it seems to be a success in that regard. So definitely give it a try.

As for me, I'll be Espera-ing for the next game to be released and using my Vision Ray to see if it might be a more likely purchase.

Edited on 04/20/2015 at 1:35:59 PM PST

tempeasu
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by tempeasu on Apr 19, 15 4:36 PM
this game, well, if I could, I would have pushed her off the rope. where was the cat, the owl, the puppy, the creppy doll, ect? when you need them????

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Apr 19, 15 4:52 PM
I think the developers put massive effort into this game and I do give them that. The graphics and music were stupendous. I, however, felt there were so many gimmicks and so many "extras", that I lost track of the story. It is a beautiful game. Not very challenging, however, but different. The HOS and mini games were great. I do recommend it and will take another look at it when it comes out as an SE, because the last thing I wanted to do, in addition to everything else, was to look for 114 pieces of glass. It's a great game, just not for me.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Apr 20, 15 5:32 AM
I also liked this game. The color palette was fine with me (surely some men are o.k. with pink?), and the busyness of the game made it more interesting, although it can be a trial to keep track of everything, and as I rarely use the SG for actual gameplay, the hint button was very helpful. I had some trouble with sliding pieces in some of the mini-games, but I always do with those kinds of mini-games, and for the sake of time I did skip those, but the rest of the play was pretty interesting. I agree that the grammar thing was pretty awful a few times -- "I hope me and my owl can help" - ouch. Me is an object folks, not the subject of a sentence or a phrase, it's "my owl and I." Once you realize that the shards are in the same three colors in each scene (pale blue, pale green and a lavender), they're not that hard to spot, and you're usually in a scene long enough to find all 3 eventually, plus you can click the little window on the left side and see if you've found them if you've lost track. There are some gimmicks in the game, kinds of mini-games you repeat in different scenes and at different moments in the game, which were okay. Let's say they didn't make me crazy. I'm not sure why people hated the owl: your cursor becomes a kind of owl icon when you need it, and the owl flies up to do tasks (although it rarely does fetch for you -- usually you, through the owl, solve a game that's out of reach). Otherwise the owl just hangs out quietly on the lower right of the screen. The music was at times pretty evocative of other games, but they changed up the tune some, so it's not identical. The Queen pronounces her daughter's name differently than anyone else, a little odd. And the demo part of the game takes place in a palace which is interestingly bereft of any guard, servants, or staff, but the royal family live there full time. Nonetheless, I did like it and will probably get it. I did notice that this has a bonus game and something extra after that -- I didn't check on what it was, but if you don't care about all this and aren't interested in finding the shards, since they seem to be the only collectibles (or at least the only ones I noticed -- the SG doesn't tell you), then I imagine the SE will be fine. Ultimately, it becomes a kind of interesting story to follow.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Apr 20, 15 5:28 PM
THANK YOU, GrandMa! An immersive vision of a game! Using my gray matter in so many ways and LOVING it!

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by kandinsky on Apr 21, 15 10:03 AM
really enjoying the game ...although the most interesting hidden object was the first gong through the several worlds and the longer it goes the more conventional the story begins to feel...perhaps it is a little long for its amount of creativity? repeating from one world to the next as in many other games and now I will be heading to the last showdown. but even as it loses the early sense of wonder it works in the usual late game gain of velocity.

second note I liked that the world of fear was not drawn in such a way as to trouble those with phobias I would think...

third note I agree with steve san that it would be nice to have a more male oriented plot sometimes, here only the villain is an effective male and I doubt he will prove very effective in the end. must one fall off the other side of the horse to correct falling off the opposite side?
these games led me to look into it and purple is a color listed as favorite by 20 some percent of women but on the other hand 10 percent list as least favorite. I would suggest to developers also that surely this is not enough to make it the marketing tool one would imagine it from some of these games.

forth note if I may. I honor the city of Kiev of the developers and the ukraine and glad its present troubles have not stopped their work

uglyteacup
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by uglyteacup on Apr 26, 15 12:21 PM
I too 'honor the city of Kiev of the developers and the ukraine and glad its present troubles have not stopped their work'. Maybe the pastel colour scheme was selected because of it; escapism: God help us all, this world of ours is nuts.

...And about being overwhelmed in color and graphics: yes I am! Can't do more than ten minutes at a clip because of its visual intensity. I just stopped playing again and this time felt the need to post my frustrations.

At this rate this game will last me until Christmas...that is if Isis hasn't beheaded all of us infidels this year or Iran, after developing "THE NUKE", doesn't hit us with an EMP. Then I will NEVER be able to finish this game.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on May 4, 15 12:24 AM
I've just finished this game. It was one of the best games I've played - beautiful scenery, multiple sites, collectables, not many HOG scenes, lots to do, many varied mini-games to play...and it took FOREVER to play. This took me days to play even though I skipped a few mini-games (too eager to continue).

The cut out scenes were a bit lacking and the hidden object scenes where you had to find the piece of a picture within a picture drove me spare, but luckily they were pretty easy and not many to do.

For value for money, this game is right at the top.

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on Jul 1, 15 5:13 PM
This is a relatively long game. I like to click on any "easy" shards and then at the end of the game go back for them through Collectibles. This allows me to focus on the game itself.

I always find a crying child distracting in a game; wish they wouldn't do that. And, if the owl is flapping and you need some time, it does get annoying.

Other than that, I enjoyed this game very much. Had a bit of trouble differentiating some of those pale blue shards! but it all adds to the fun.

Go to: