siberlene
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

I don't understand the scoring system

[Post New]by siberlene on Apr 18, 15 1:16 AM
In the HO scenes I just don't understand how the items are scored. I've often come over 100,000 points short of my high score, even if I finish the scene in 30 seconds. Sometimes it takes me much longer, yet I get more points. Huh?

I've tried to group items together, such as taking them in the order of their appearance, or taking items that seem to go together, or taking them if they're grouped together in a corner or area. I've tried alphabetical order whenever possible (which isn't often) and I still fall short.

aussie_Dot
Flounder
Flounder
2,429 Posts

Re:I don't understand the scoring system

[Post New]by aussie_Dot on Apr 18, 15 1:52 AM
Hi Siberlene,

Scoring is not too difficult to explain. First part: When you open a HOS, you will see a timer (upper right) - this counts the time you take to do the HOS. It can give you the bonus timer score. The developers decided that a HOS can be done in 2 minutes. So they set the value of 30,000 points if you finish the HOS at 2 minutes. If you finish after the 2 minutes, you get nothing - 0 bonus. Now the bonus increases the faster you go - so if you take 55 seconds to do the HOS, I think the bonus is 30,800 points. The SECOND part: On the upper left side of the HOS is the score & under it is the scorer bar plus the multiplier (in the circle). The score is what you get for finding the objects. The scorer bar runs down (every 2 seconds, I think) so if you find I object & can't find the next one within 2 seconds the bar runs down to zero. The multiplier is the number of objects you have found without the scorer bar reaching zero. It goes back to 1 when the scorer bar reaches zero. Now every hidden object is worth X points (not sure how much) - this is multiplied by the multiplier. So if your multiplier reads 13 then the base score for the hidden object is multiplied by 13. You will see small white numbers rise up from the hidden object when you click on it. These numbers are added up to make your score. So to get a high score, you need to keep the scorer bar from reaching zero - that is you need to find one of the hidden objects every 2 seconds. Please note: Only 6 hidden objects names appear at a time but it does not matter what order you find the objects.

I hope this explains things for you. If I have missed anything someone else will add it so Happy gaming!

JoanJ53
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by JoanJ53 on Apr 18, 15 6:17 AM
I don't understand the scoring system either. AG1 gave a great definition and thanks for that. But, I think there is a penalty in there somewhere for clicking on the wrong object or for not quite having the extreme point on the object. The rest of the pointer doesn't count. Also, I have noticed that sometimes, even though I have the pointer tip right on the item, I have to click a second and third times to get an item collected!

Has anyone else noticed or have more info?

sportsvine
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by sportsvine on Apr 18, 15 6:33 AM
Siberlene is correct about the value of not letting the timer bar reset, but I really don't think he is correct about you getting 2 seconds to click another item. The speed of the timer bar resetting is ENTIRELY dependent on how high your multiplier is. For example if you are playing an HOS with a full 22 items, the first item you click the timer bar is very slow, giving you LOTS of time (maybe 10 seconds- not sure) to get another item before it resets. The higher you get your multiplier, the speed of the timer bar gradually increases with every increase of the multiplier. In my experience, getting the multiplier up to 10 is fairly easy, but the timer bar moves pretty fast (maybe you get 2 about two seconds to find the next item). If you manage to get the first 16 or 17 items while not letting the timer bar reset, you better know the locations of the last few items, or else the timer bar will reset if you spend any time looking for another item. If you manage to get 21 items, you have to collect the 22nd item almost immediately, because the timer bar resets in about 1/4 of a second (definitely much shorter than 2 seconds) to collect that last item without allowing the timer bar to reset. An HOS with most of the items really big, such as the CRYPT, I routinely get 20, 21, or 22 items in about 30-35 seconds. But HOS later in the game are much harder, and I usually am not able to get the counter past 15 or 16 before the timer bar resets.

If you get all 22 items, your score will be approximately 294,000 (264,000 + 30,000 bonus for completing in under two minutes). Your actual score will depend on how fast you complete the HOS, but I don't think wrong clicks penalize your score). If you get 21 items before the bar resets, your score will be about 264,000, and of course less and less if the less high you get your counter to.

aussiegirl1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,017 Posts

[Post New]by aussiegirl1 on Apr 18, 15 6:37 AM
Hi Joan,

I think you mean to thank Dot not me,

Happy gaming AG1

siberlene
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by siberlene on Apr 19, 15 1:06 AM
Thanks for the helpful info, aussie-Dot, but part of your theory doesn't work for me.

For example, let's say my high score in one HO is above 290,000. I go back to play the same HO, finish it in 30 seconds and my score is around 160,000. Big difference. It doesn't make sense.

Or maybe I'm reading your post wrong?

Edited on 04/19/2015 at 1:09:46 AM PST

aussiegirl1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,017 Posts

[Post New]by aussiegirl1 on Apr 19, 15 1:55 AM
I know that this have been posted before and the perfect scores of 296,900 are a glitch, as far as I can tell and make it a bit simpler is that you have to have the rhythm, so a miss click or a slightly so ever pause will result in a lower score, if you have a HOS you are good at try to just click in a rhythm, the multiplier needs to be at the top all the time,
I have had scores at 296,030 to 183,700 in the same HOS just because I lost concentration, but high or low you still get the coins the HOS is offering so it is no big deal in the end, the score board is all screwed up anyway, it is on the to do list for the Dev's,

Happy Gaming

AG1

Edited on 04/19/2015 at 1:56:03 AM PST

[Post New]by Sylvanmoonscape on Apr 19, 15 1:04 PM
Aussiegirl1, you say that the score board is all screwed up at the moment and that the devs have it on their to-do list to fix. Would this be perhaps why I am not seeing any of my friends' scores? I had to start a new game and didn't have anyone but me on my scoreboard. I thought that was because that scoring didn't come in until a later level. But now level-wise I'm way beyond where I was when I restarted my game, and I still don't have any of my friends' scores. I'm not complaining, because it doesn't really affect the game. But I was just wondering....

FudgeChi
Flounder
Flounder
2,380 Posts

[Post New]by FudgeChi on Apr 19, 15 1:10 PM
I think Aussiegirl will be sleeping right now, so I'm jumping in. Yes! That is another part of the problem. Scores between friends aren't updating unless the friends were there in the HOS before the problem began. As you say, it doesn't affect the game but it does feel lonely. I'm so hoping they will fix it with the next update

[Post New]by MonkeyCheese on Apr 19, 15 3:08 PM
aussie_Dot wrote:Hi Siberlene,

Scoring is not too difficult to explain. First part: When you open a HOS, you will see a timer (upper right) - this counts the time you take to do the HOS. It can give you the bonus timer score. The developers decided that a HOS can be done in 2 minutes. So they set the value of 30,000 points if you finish the HOS at 2 minutes. If you finish after the 2 minutes, you get nothing - 0 bonus. Now the bonus increases the faster you go - so if you take 55 seconds to do the HOS, I think the bonus is 30,800 points. The SECOND part: On the upper left side of the HOS is the score & under it is the scorer bar plus the multiplier (in the circle). The score is what you get for finding the objects. The scorer bar runs down (every 2 seconds, I think) so if you find I object & can't find the next one within 2 seconds the bar runs down to zero. The multiplier is the number of objects you have found without the scorer bar reaching zero. It goes back to 1 when the scorer bar reaches zero. Now every hidden object is worth X points (not sure how much) - this is multiplied by the multiplier. So if your multiplier reads 13 then the base score for the hidden object is multiplied by 13. You will see small white numbers rise up from the hidden object when you click on it. These numbers are added up to make your score. So to get a high score, you need to keep the scorer bar from reaching zero - that is you need to find one of the hidden objects every 2 seconds. Please note: Only 6 hidden objects names appear at a time but it does not matter what order you find the objects.

Is this explanation from your observation or have you gotten a written explanation from the devs?

MC

aussiegirl1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,017 Posts

[Post New]by aussiegirl1 on Apr 19, 15 4:40 PM
Hi FudgeChi,

Yes I did go to bed after I posted, and thank you helping out, it was midnight

AG1

[Post New]by Sylvanmoonscape on Apr 20, 15 12:54 PM
thanks for letting me know that it isn't just me, or me thinking that none of my friends wanted to share their scores with me, or that I was just so so so very brilliant that no one else could compare with me!

FudgeChi
Flounder
Flounder
2,380 Posts

[Post New]by FudgeChi on Apr 20, 15 12:59 PM
I'm sure your friends will never compare

We all hope it gets fixed with the next update but it's been a glitch for a few months now

aussie_Dot
Flounder
Flounder
2,429 Posts

[Post New]by aussie_Dot on Apr 22, 15 9:49 PM
Hi, Monkey Cheese. Sorry to take so long in answering your question. I have explained why in my PM to you.

To begin with I do not have a direct line to the developers so my explanation is not from them. My explanation has to do with experimentation & observation - both my own & other players. I will explain how I drew my conclusions.

Re part one: Timer on the upper right of HOS screen. I found the time when the bonus paid & when it did not by experimentation. Hanging onto that last item until a certain time period had elapsed. I did it multiple times over different time periods to reach my conclusion that 2 minutes was the cut-out time. (Also did it over several different HOS - just in case, one HOS was scoring different to another one. All HOS were at max score.) This time was also mentioned by another player in their post in the latter half of last year. Unfortunately I did not note the amount of bonus paid if completed in under the 2 minutes as I was concentrating on finding the cut-off point. I only remembered that one amount & you will note, I said "I think" as I could not be 100% sure.

Re second part: The conclusions drawn here were from observations - both mine & other players, discussion with others & experimentation. During August - November 2014, there were several posts about the timer, the timer glitch & scoring. I added their observations & comments to my own observations re the scorer bar, the multiplier & the scoring. I experimented with going slow & going fast - to see if it made a difference in the score. It did. (Please note: This explanation was written December 2014 for my own records. I simply copied & pasted for this thread.)

At this point, I wish to thank Sportsvine for adding her observations & conclusions. The only accurate time for the scorer bar to go down I could make was the 2 seconds (my multiplier was at 7) - trying to take note of the time, keep the multiplier up & find the HOS item was difficult. I find Sportsvine's observations to make sense & it has added to this subject. Thank you.

I hope this explains how I drew my conclusions. If you have another explanation for how the scoring works, please feel to post it. I do not claim to be an expert on the subject (just a logical thinker) so added knowledge is welcome.

[Post New]by MonkeyCheese on Apr 23, 15 4:31 PM
aussie_Dot wrote:I hope this explains how I drew my conclusions. If you have another explanation for how the scoring works, please feel to post it. I do not claim to be an expert on the subject (just a logical thinker) so added knowledge is welcome.

It certainly does and I do not have another explanation. That was part of my question because it is nearly impossible to definitively document the points as they occur.

I think the only way we can ever really document this would be to do a video screen capture while you play the game. The game may not allow that, but you could stop and start and note the scoring.

Thanks again,

MC

Go to: