Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Romance: Heart of the Beast Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 23, 15 12:38 AM
A thread for you reviews.

Edited on 04/23/2015 at 6:35:53 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Romance: Heart of the Beast Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 23, 15 4:00 AM
I liked this demo. The graphics are really nice and the story is more interesting than it might seem on reading the game description. The demo lasted 45 mins (for me).

Puzzles weren't difficult but fun to play. The HOS were very interactive and different from those I've encountered in recent CE's. There is Match-3 as an alternative.

As 9otters has already mentioned, you play as 2 characters but this wasn't made very clear. I sat for ages just going back and forth between scenes, wondering what on earth to do next. Eventually I used a hint and was shown what perhaps to some was obvious but it wasn't to me! Not an issue though after you've done it the first time.

The use of the mirror was fun; not really a gadget, more a tool to 'see things in another way' Clicking on random things was useful; I found some 'magic objects'! I think there's something about them in the 'extras' section.There are collectibles which are easy to find. There might have been a map; I didn't notice nor did I use the SG. Extras are the usual.

I'm not a circus fan but this game was fun to play and I really want to see what happens next! The villain is one of those you want to hiss and boo at It's a definite buy for me

No technical issues on desktop running Win7 Professional.

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Romance: Heart of the Beast Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by shelterhill on Apr 23, 15 4:27 AM
I loved it!! The graphics are just as I like them the most, easy, soft on the eyes.. beautyful!!
The gameplay was easy but very enjoyable, loved the HOS , different and nice within the theme of the game.
Its a definite buy for me, that's for sure!'

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Apr 23, 15 6:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Romance: Heart of the Beast Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Romance: Heart of the Beast Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Apr 23, 15 7:29 AM
Based on demo (45 mins): +

Switcharoo between characters for play is a nice twist. Not too much back-and-forth. Decent story & VOs. Clear, colourful (a bit much) graphics. Magic frame to reveal true nature of beasts, circus theme, Cruella-type adversary (I think?). No unnecessary helper. Transport map shows collectibles' status. HOPs were a bit different.

Easier and cutesy. Not much game play - puzzles (my fav.) weren't challenging and even if.......no replay (what makes me choose CE) available in CE extras. Collectibles (26 butterflies) & magic objects were a-ok. Secret portraits were not hidden.....one was sitting on a roof!

Once in a while, I enjoy games like this one that promise to be relaxing & easy, so, I will revisit as a SE (PCC).

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Apr 23, 15 1:26 PM
What a beautiful game! The graphics are sharp and the colors are vivid without being over the top. Nothing pink/purple or gray/blue about it! Oh, other than the obelisk, but that one pinkish lapse can be excused.

I take my time when I play because I like to take in everything. The demo actually took me 55 minutes. I like spotting the butterflies and the 'hidden' portraits. There's something else to collect but wouldn't you know it skipped my mind.

There is no helper, although we interact with the animals we encounter. When we met the dog in the first scene, I hoped he would be a helper, but no permanent helper this time. That wonderful dog is just one of several creatures we will encounter as we try to bring back the Rose.

We play as two characters using the little oval portraits in the lower right corner to switch characters. I like that.

The first hidden object scene was unique and fun. Subsequent scenes were also very interactive. The mini-games in the demo were on the easy side, but seemed to fit the game perfectly. When I want more puzzles and challenging mini's, I've always got other games to go to for that.

Match-3 is the option if you prefer over the hidden objects. I love my M-3's but this one is pretty clunky. On the other hand, switching to it to find that one unfindable object at least does not cost you a hint, so it's good to have as an option.

The hint is helpful with navigation too, bring up a jump map. I love the Custom option to avoid the tutorial and adjust the skip/hint times. Since it was just a demo, I didn't pay attention to the other custom choices.

As to achievements, I got several during the demo, but hopefully they progress from the '3' that seemed the first mark to achieve. Most of them are performance based.

Although the game is on the easy side, it's so beautiful that I knew within a few minutes that it would be a buy for me. The beautiful art and the interesting (imo) storyline will take me away for a few hours. That's a good thing.

mylbos
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by mylbos on Apr 23, 15 9:04 PM
Try it. Colorful- easy- fun- relaxing- nice- why not?

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Apr 23, 15 10:46 PM
I liked the demo, although it seemed to be a little on the sort side. Fortunately, the demo was enough to put it on my buy list, probably for the SE. Congrats to the devs for an interesting game with great graphics.

Jaguar2357
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by Jaguar2357 on Apr 25, 15 9:29 AM
I did the beta on this one, and am so glad to have it come out on my birthday week on sale, no less. Gorgeous and interesting, with the complexity of operating 2 characters. Puzzles are a bit easy, but that is not entirely bad. Exactly the kind of artwork I love. <3

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 25, 15 1:22 PM
I also beta tested this one. I track the betas and give them stars. This one I gave a 5, which I rarely do to any game, but it had it all and was well worth buying. Been out of town, so not going to do my usual review, but I bought this one without giving the demo a try. That is something I have only done one other time, but I see another game that came out this weekend that is going to get the same treatment as this one.

Don't think anyone, of any play level, will be disappointed in this game at all.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

uglyteacup
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by uglyteacup on Apr 25, 15 7:16 PM
What a great game this is turning out to be because it has held my interest through the entire trial playtime. When it ran out of time I couldn't wait to purchase it, and my fish friends, that says a lot. Try it, I think you'll like it. Happy gaming.

[Post New]by LadyXXXHolic on Apr 30, 15 2:25 AM
The game was great through the trial but unfortunately stopped doing anything right, after you buy it. The puzzles get monotonous, the script and plot go downhill, the audio glitches at some parts and it's no longer fun at all.
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!!!

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on May 3, 15 3:53 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed this game. The story was interesting.

Had no problems playing the game....running on WIN 8.1 on a "regular" PC.

Unfortunately I missed a Butterfly and cannot play the Butterfly game.

Go to: