Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Amaranthine Voyage: The Obsidian Book Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 30, 15 1:09 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 04/30/2015 at 5:09:23 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Amaranthine Voyage: The Obsidian Book Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Apr 30, 15 2:47 AM

What a great addition to this Series. In fact, this game is outstanding! I will leave all the details to others who have better skills in the details. But I will put my 2 cents in and tell you...Don't pass this winner up! You will not be disappointed.

The graphics are stunning and this game offers such entertainment...with so much to do. The only complaint I will say...and this is for most newer games of the last year or so...PLEASE STOP THE PURPLE & PINKS & BLUES...in games. I prefer the more realistic colors in games. I'm so burnt out on these colors. And I know the Developers and Artists have more than enough talent to make real colors!

Be sure to take the time and try this game. It will be a buy for me...when offers a better sale. But, I will be buying it and enjoying it very much. Thanks for this quality game...and Congratulations to the Developers on a job well done!

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”

“These are my terms for Hogs, I Hogs, frogs & Adventure games:

“DIVINE FINE SWINE”
The absolute best of the best! It has everything you want in a game and things you didn’t know you wanted in a game.
It is a rare beauty and a must have! Beyond expectations! I really love it!

“FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!

“PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

“PORK BELLY”
May be a likable game for some, but not for everyone.

“TROTTERS”
Don't run away with this pig’s foot.

“PIG DOWN”
Rolling in the mud! Don’t go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

yolanded
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
421 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Amaranthine Voyage: The Obsidian Book Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by yolanded on Apr 30, 15 4:17 AM

Edited on 04/30/2015 at 5:21:06 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Apr 30, 15 5:08 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Amaranthine Voyage: The Obsidian Book Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Amaranthine Voyage: The Obsidian Book Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 30, 15 5:43 AM
Perhaps I'm past getting excited by games any more; this demo, which lasted 59 minutes for me, wasn't as good as the first Amaranthine Voyage but probably better than most CE's have been lately. It just all seemed a bit predictable and yet again the over-used 'portal to another world' scenario rears it's head; I'm really getting tired of it now.

Graphics as always are beautiful, although as MissLisa says, it's all a bit too pink and purple and blue. The puzzles were fun; they went from ridiculously easy to having to think about them a bit. HOS were the usual variety from this developer; those little picture-puzzle clues can be very tricky to figure out! If there were morphing objects I didn't see them, neither was there anything to indicate that they were present. There was no helper in the demo.

You do get a 'gadget' which gives you certain skills once you find the fragments to activate it. I won't give away what it does but it does seem a bit like a contrivance to prolong the gameplay. Not to mention you have to suspend belief that it would actually exist. But it would be so handy if it did

The play is fully customisable and the map transports, although I found it awkward to use. I'm sure it's a game that many will love but I got a bit bored with the demo. Maybe I'm just not in the mood today; I couldn't even tell you what the story was about, though I remember someone got shot.

Demo played flawlessly and no technical issues on a desktop running Win7 Professional.

[Post New]by shelterhill on Apr 30, 15 6:10 AM
The game played smoothly enough, but I was not thrilled.. I love the first three installments, but this one?? I don't know if it's the language barricade is getting the better of me, but I had no clue what to do.
Again a Portal? Why..
All the technical stuff was beyond me. The graphics were not as nice as I had hoped, I saw that they will get better, later on, but I wont be seeing them, because I'll pass on this one.
Too bad, was hopeful to get a good game for the weekend..

Edited on 04/30/2015 at 10:16:52 AM PST

yolanded
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
421 Posts

[Post New]by yolanded on Apr 30, 15 6:38 AM
yolanded wrote:<a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/faqs/list.page>[Removed by Moderator]</a>

(I do not know why I write very good English and I quoted earlier post). my opinion on the play eipix is positive as pace game, characters, maybe it's too simple minigame, hidden objects are not boring long lists maybe the writing is small, the graphics are good except the colors purple blue pink, but I think it's a fad of latest 2 years and I hope will be resized. not a bad game but if I have to play two hours in a row even more,. pesky details can compromise the whole work.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Apr 30, 15 8:24 AM
Due to a tech issue (listed in the tech thread) I cannot even complete the demo.

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Apr 30, 15 8:35 AM
After playing beta, I was leaning towards SE. Post-demo, as I've failed to find anything CE-worthy (mostly, replay of puzzles), I'll wait for SE.

New type of transport map took a bit of getting used to - not bad. Very easy puzzles/ mini-games. HOPs (guess picture-combo) were good. Graphics are as per the usual brilliant standard by this Dev. Power-tool thingy wasn't bad - I wonder if it gets diff. powers later on?

Story felt very weak, so, characters couldn't support it no matter how good the VOS, music or setting.

Overall, it felt like a combo of popular elements (portals, scientist, sidekick, etc) slated for a quick release. It may improve post-demo. However, such a short demo. (30 mins w/o skips + fwd. dialogue) and lack of info. (SG) about no. of chapters, is just a mood-killer. Harmonium, eh? Not yet music to my ears.

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Apr 30, 15 9:32 AM
Got quite excited when I saw this today, but like some others I was disapointed
I didn't mind the colour palette, and thought the graphics were good, but there the fun stopped. The games seemed way too easy, just click and turn type things, the HOPs were ok, but one of the achievements was finish a HOP using the bubble popper.......I HATE bubble popping, it's so pointless
There were no morphies that I could see although they are in the game discription and I'm usually quite good at finding them
The scenario seemed rather predictable, more portals?

This is a no buy, even SE, with credits or offers!

Sorry devs, your other offerings were good, but this is not for me

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 1, 15 2:56 PM
Hi all. Just got to this one today. Another addition to this series, and yes I do have the others in my collection. Excellent graphics, bright colors. No problem with game play at all during the demo. I usually turn music down to a little background, but this music is awesome. Combination of soothing, sinister, and edge of your seat. Extremely well done. Looks like we also have a little time travel, or at least to another dimension...nice. Voice overs are very well done, age and character appropriate, with fear, pain and all the other emotions to make it more realistic. You can skip blocks of dialog without skipping it entirely, for those who read faster than they speak. There is a click penalty, but you really have to click a lot to get it!

The jump map is helpful, but you don't need to use it. Didn't care for the "extra" click to make the jump, but that's just me. SG is the standard, but again, you don't really need it for this game, as it flows quite well. HOPs are interactive lists and silhouettes and are very clean and clear. Items are not difficult to find. You can switch to a bubble popper game, but not my cup of tea. Puzzles were somewhat different and fun, but not difficult. Some took a little bit to complete. Hint system is quite helpful and does transport to longer locations.

The only collectibles I found are books and there are 40 of them. They aren't hard to spot, but they don't jump off the page at you either. You also collect colored crystals that provide you with special powers to help along the way and to complete objectives. There are a lot of achievements.

I primarily review on game play and not the story line, but this story is different and captivating. You are constantly on the move, without a lot of back tracking. I found this game to be challenging and fun enough keep me moving, interested and wanting more. I was very disappointed when the demo ended. I really like games that include the ability to go back for collectibles you missed and an extra souvenir room. Absolutely, I am getting this one for my collection. I think this game will appeal to all levels of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on May 1, 15 4:03 PM

Obsidian Book Is Best Left Unread

Setting: Professor Bennett has gone to Iceland in search of harmonium (aren't we all in search of harmonium?) because it has properties having to do with paranormal phenomenon. You're off to assist her. While flying to Iceland in a single engine plane, (not the best idea) an arriving helicopter causes an avalanche. Who else is pursuing Professor Bennett and why?

Palette/Sounds/Voices: My eye did not detect a clear color scheme, making the palette hard to define. While there are a lot of colors used, none of them really dominate. Nevertheless, the overall look was not inviting to me. Sounds and voices were well done and there is a fair amount of dialog, at least in the early going.

Play: Hidden objects scenes (13) were mostly easy to solve even with some having two or three stages. Likewise, the mini games (20) present very little challenge and were a disappointment owing to a lack of inventiveness.

Difficulty settings: the usual 3 plus Custom. Hint refill adjustable between 10-120 seconds, Skip refill between 10-400 seconds.

CE Extras: 40 collectible books, 21 achievements, souvenir room, alternative HO, bonus level, strategy guide and the usual assorted pseudo extras.

I generally don't care for games with portals or ones with amulets and powers (this has both). However, in this reviewer's opinion Obsidian Book does not stack up well against others in the AV series anyway. While nothing about the game is egregiously bad, neither is anything particularly good. The extras are not really much either, so if you are inclined to buy, I would recommend trying the SE.

Three hunks of harmonium

sulia
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by sulia on May 27, 15 1:15 PM
I did enjoy this game, I have to say, but, and there is always a but, after finishing the bonus chapter I tried to get the "Seeker" award, which is earning gold medals for playing all the bonus HOPS. Most were fine, but three, or maybe four were not. For example, in the first bonus HOP, when you have found all the pine cones and mittens, and you get the snowflake and the screwdriver, you can't actually use them, as the game won't let you, you just get the arrow leading back to the extras screen, so you won't get a gold. Plus I have not been able to find 250 objects. Pooh, and likewise pah.
However, you can find the books you might have missed during the game.
Good fun, however.

Go to: