bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Rite of Passage: The Lost Tides Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 2, 15 12:29 AM
From the innovative minds of MadHead Games, the company who brought you Nevertales and Cadenza, comes a stunning new game in the Rite of Passage series!

Your mom and dad set sail on the Everlast twenty years ago… and were never seen again. But today, as you prepared to observe the anniversary of their disappearance, the Everlast suddenly sailed back into port! The ship’s arrival is suspicious at best, but you’re determined to find out what happened to your family all those years ago. And so you set out against a host of strange sea creatures on a journey by land, air, and sea. Will you learn the truth… or will you suffer the same fate as your parents? Find out in this exciting Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game!

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Re:Rite of Passage: The Lost Tides Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bribling on May 2, 15 10:43 AM
Not a Review, just some observations. I enjoyed this better than yesterday's pink/purple, glare. Why have Hint buttons got so sparkly lately? I am visually challenged and glare is actually painful. I haven't checked to see if I can kill the sparkle but maybe if I played a tougher option I could get rid of that. The story is just a little odd but I do see why a Dad would send his kids to the lifeboat while he went after his wife. I don't quite understand why oars and life jackets would not be in the boat It's a game though. if games were logical and made perfect sense there would be a lot less to do.

I enjoyed the puzzles. I guess it is getting harder to make games "fresh" and "different" so Devs are always trying to be inventive. Most were very easy, a couple maybe a little harder but that's fine for me. I'd rather they were "easy" than "impossible". Although it's nice to have a Skip button, I'd really like a "Hint" option to help me when I get stuck. I hate to Skip a puzzle just because I can't find one item or solve one scavenger hunt.

EDIT - I went ahead and purchased this one. Still waiting for the newest Art set at Segmation. Need a fun distraction. This game is it!

The Mermaid looks "sweet". Not the usual ugly, sneering Harpy. I suspect that she may "ugly up" later. Despite her appearance, she is pure Evil.

I always forget about collectibles and morphing objects but often find some of them by accident. I have found two or three items which immediately flew away so I have no idea what they were. I prefer morphing objects to be outside of HOS so that I can go back and find them when I miss them. It's disappointing to realize that I missed one and have no way to find it.

This is a game I will buy, possibly this weekend. I am expecting some paint sets at Segmation this weekend (one already available) and may purchase those first and get this game later but it is one I will enjoy finishing!

Edited on 05/02/2015 at 6:36:30 PM PST

underwriter
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by underwriter on Jun 24, 15 5:42 PM
This is not a review either, but it is heartfelt - a Rite of Passage game without Diogenes? I'm sure that's not what the devs call him, if they even have a name for him they have not shared it, but the guy with the lamp.

Mad Head is not the only one doing this, and it makes me crazy. A developer launches a successful game with certain parameters. Because it's successful, they launch a sequel with a very different story line, but they keep the parameters. They may even go to a third and respect the parameters. But eventually, they come up with a new idea which doesn't fit the parameters, but they put it in the series anyway. Please don't do that! Look, devs, if you've had that many successes, you don't need to prostitute the series name to get sales, the developer name will do it. And using the series name on a misfit will probably not get you the sales anyway. Issue a stand-alone, or start a new series with different or fewer parameters.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jun 24, 15 9:09 PM
I missed him too Underwriter.....
and, I felt there was something missing in the entire game, although it was well done....
EXCEPT, I am getting very tired of their reliance on Boss Fights. to end games or levels.

Go to: