Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Right of Passage: The Lost Tides Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on May 2, 15 1:51 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 05/02/2015 at 6:48:54 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Right of Passage: The Lost Tides Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by shelterhill on May 2, 15 5:25 AM
Played the demo only..
I knew yesterday that this new Rite of Passage would come out today, really happy.. But after playing the demo, my feeling of happiness has been lessened,,

Way too dark of a scenery, lots of blue [ which I hate anyway] .

Gameplay was alright, but why is everything always broken?? I would praise the day if there is one game which has for instance a boat ready for you to use!! Just like that

I will probably get this game with a darn good sale, because it is from the people with the crazy minds.. but I had hoped to get it today, but I'm not sure enough..
collectables are only some seashells and the morphing objects in the HOS.

[ it did have a glitch.. it said to get the oarbs a bit too much and everywhere ..and where I off course did not need them. It has gotten laughable at times, but it makes me wonder.. are there more silly mistakes made?? ]

edit; excuse my spelling errors.. I from the Netherlands, so it is not my native language

Edited on 05/02/2015 at 5:31:28 AM PST

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Right of Passage: The Lost Tides Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by geri_mac on May 2, 15 6:05 AM
I thought it was a change to see a mermaid with a nice manicure

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on May 2, 15 6:49 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Rite of Passage: The Lost Tides Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Rite of Passage: The Lost Tides Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on May 2, 15 9:58 AM
Based on demo (55 mins w/ no skips): = a mermaid makes a monkey of...?

A simple, easy game made more....um...‘difficult’ on purpose. Ex: Jellyfish tentacles w/ back-and-forth. Could it be a gimmick to extend game play? In parts, a half-decent, short SE kept bobbing up minus that l’il bit ‘o CE fluff all drowning in cinematic effects.

Good transport map, easy HOPs and a diff. take on same 'ol puzzles, ex: Mirror + furniture, move the ball multi-puzzle. Good VOs, clear and colourful graphics; some had less detail than others. Music? Holy Phantom of the Ocean, what a siren song!

I don't mind sad/ sob or even bad stories if game play is good. This one's not terrible, not great just somewhere in between. W/ today's release, it's two ghost-ships in a row (not that lost to have forgotten!). I'll check SE to see if it's worth a PCC.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on May 2, 15 1:30 PM

Beware The Tides of May

Setting: Twenty years ago your parents were lost on a sea voyage when the ship Everlast disappeared. Just you and your brother escaped. All of a sudden your father's compass, which he gave you just before disappearing, is emitting a strange glow and the Everlast has reappeared in the harbor! Is it possible your parents are still there? And, is that a mermaid?

The drawing is colorful with lots of blues, browns and grays. The style is typical of most games, rooted mostly in realism but with enough stylization to remind you that you are playing a game. Voices are well acted and the characters are believable - which is a nice change. The play is fun, but there is a certain seriousness about the story that I found to be refreshing. Music is presented on a grand scale, with large orchestral arrangements accompanied by chorale singers, but it does not overpower.

There are 13 HOPs and an undetermined number of mini games. The HOPs are straightforward and well drawn, but not too exciting. Mini games are more numerous and also more interesting. While not necessarily new or difficult, they were well suited to the story and the overall settings. Also, there is a transportable map.

Difficulty: I seem to always choose Custom because I like to turn off the sparkles but leave map indicators on and it is rare for a developer to include that as a standard setting . Hint and Skip refills can be set between 15-90 seconds.

CE Extras: 37 collectible seashells (hidden well), 13 morphing objects, 37 "collectibles" (i.e. souvenirs) achievements, bonus level, strategy guide (2 chapters in demo) and the pseudo extras like wallpapers.

I enjoyed playing the demo more than the recent Amaranthine Voyage game. While the quality of the the two are similar, and like AV game there is a "device" that is used over and over (here it's the compass), since this compass performs only one function it seems less contrived. This appealed to me more also because of the more serious tone and the impression that this game is aimed more towards adults . Finally, the story and game play also made more sense.

So, what do you say we go for a swim and see if we can spot any mermaids?

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on May 2, 15 8:01 PM
I have all the other rite of passage games but I won't be adding this one to the collection. It really didn't grab my attention. Thought it was pretty boring. Oh well. Hopefully the next one is better.

judithannegg
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by judithannegg on May 3, 15 6:50 AM
I love, love, love this game! First off, the storyline is wonderful! You are a young daughter with a young brother and the both of you go in lifeboat while your dad tries to get your mom out of room on ship that is stuck. Ship goes down, or does it? Game picks up 20 years later. Original idea! Love it! Yes, some of the game is easy, but the puzzles are different and some are difficult! I am a hard core gamer and like no hints and no skips. There is a custom setting so I could pick no hints and no skips, but when I resumed the game, the hint button still worked, and since it glowed, it annoyed me. So, I set it on Hurricane mode, and then I could do no hints and no skips. Using Windows 8.1 and no problems. No glitches so far. This just seems like a nice and fun game and I am enjoying it! In crazy way, glad I have broken foot so I have an excuse to just lay on couch with my foot propped up and be on my laptop!! I just saw a review about morphing objects, but didn't notice those so far; however, I am noticing the collectibles, which are shells. Nice because iin the corner the shell symbol lights up that one is supposed to be found in that scene. I can't always remember if I found a collectible or not, so that is always nice to be remind me if it still needs to be found (my only rationale for buying CE is collectibles. Call me crazy, but that is it!).

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on May 3, 15 11:31 AM
As Radgame said, this one seems to be drowning in cinematic effects. Just not too interesting. Never grabbed me. Everything seemed slow and contrived.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on May 3, 15 6:24 PM
I have played the full game, and apart from the glitch about needing oars everywhere, enjoyed it very much.

The voices are great, and the graphics very clear (my eyes thank the Devs, lol), and the story is very intriguing. I kept wanting to know 'what happens next?'

I loved seeing the gils on the mermaid's neck, and the webbing between her fingers - not something we ever saw in Disney's 'Little Mermaid', lol.

Some people have complained about the singing, but, she is a siren - they are supposed to sing, lol. And for me, it wasn't too bad to listen too.

The map is transportable, and the SG is okay - some of the puzzles could have done with better instructions, but I managed to do most of them. The Bonus Extras are fun too, with a bit of a twist on some of them - I won't say more.

As always, try before you buy - you may just like it. I certainly did

Jen

karenmusik
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by karenmusik on May 9, 15 5:48 PM
Just played the demo and NOT buying:

- We can't go anywhere without oars... OMG - If I saw that message pop up one more time when clicking on something I was going to scream. Apparently quality control took a pay cut.
- Map only shows areas to be finished, not where tasks are waiting. Not helpful.
- I'm not a fan of super-tough puzzles and HOPs, but even I found them pretty easy and boring.
- Another ersatz-broadway-singing character with absolutely no tone quality. I thought mermaids and sirens were supposed to lure you in, not scare you away.
- Annoying sound effects when clicking or finding items.

...and the lost shall be forgotten, just like this game.

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Jul 26, 15 9:07 AM
Beautiful artwork, but the story makes no sense to me whatsoever.

SPOILER ALERT!

You, your brother, and your parents take a trip on a boat. The boat goes through a portal, taking your parents with it.

Then, 20 years later, there's another storm, the boat reappears, and there are items infused with a strange energy that only an amulet your father created can dispel.

Your father created the amulet...why? How did he know to create this special amulet with special powers when he didn't know anything about the beacon, etc??

Speaking of the beacon - what is it? Why is it? These things were never explained either.

Any why did the boat reappear in the first place? The evil forces didn't try to do anything, they just wanted you to stay away and stop meddling in their evil (and apparently very secret) ways.

Sorry, I don't get it. Maybe one of you can explain it to me.

Thanks.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Dec 14, 15 7:42 PM
I would give this game an A+ for imagination. Interesting mini games never seen before. Great Graphics and HOP's, I'm on to the bonus game. Glad I bought this game. Thank you developers and BFG.

Go to: