Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Legends: The Dark Wishes Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on May 7, 15 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 05/07/2015 at 6:03:29 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Legends: The Dark Wishes Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by 9otters on May 7, 15 1:48 AM
Based on demo.

Puzzles can be played "hard" or "casual" so that is good, but what I saw was pretty average. Quite a few animations, cut-scenes and close-ups. Graphics quite good in those, as well as in animated vignette mini-HOS. Regular hidden object scenes are the list type after locating four objects to open the list. Visited twice. Had pair matching HOS too.

Has a "gimmick" energy thread collecting staff. Collected several "threads" that partially filled the staff. Didn't have to use it so don't know what its purpose will be. Collectible doves and pigeons that are placed in a room. Click on them to learn facts of each particular breed.

Not too much of a challenge. Needed items found very close at hand. Probably good for beginners, fans of the Haunted Legends line, or those who want an easy game with good graphics.

Demo lasted 40 minutes for me. Not much of a challenge. Didn't have to use the strategy guide or map. Pigeon collectibles and replaying of so-so puzzles not enough to justify the CE price. So...I may revisit this one as a SE. Good for a game coupon.

Edited on 05/07/2015 at 2:14:55 AM PST

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Legends: The Dark Wishes Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on May 7, 15 2:21 AM
I can see nothing has improved since my hiatus from BFG.... oh well back to the other sites.... same ole ridiculous themes that are so far fetched they are not scary at all to me; in a word? Boring.

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on May 7, 15 3:00 AM
If you want to be scared, you should watch horror movies or read a crime story! This is a HOG game - and a good one.

Everything it needs is there. Very good graphics, a good (fantastic) story .....

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on May 7, 15 6:02 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Haunted Legends: The Dark Wishes Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Haunted Legends: The Dark Wishes Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on May 7, 15 10:19 AM
Not being a great fan of ERS games, I gave this one a whirl anyway. It falls into the mediocre category for me. The graphics were usual ERS graphics. No mouth movement with the characters. Puzzles I came across were the sliding tile variety. HOS were revisited, again and again and again. The game was very very linear. Good for beginners or those who love this series. The game, in my opinion, is not a good buy as a CE. From previous reviews, the bonus chapter is very very short. Actually, the entire game is short. Also, you collect pigeons. Why? I have no idea. The cursor turns into a hand when there's a pigeon, so no real challenge to find them. I thought the story line was ok. I will revisit it as an SE, but don't recommend it as a CE.

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on May 7, 15 11:54 AM
I used to like this series when it first came out, but now it has got rather boring...
What really got to me was the fact that the map didn't show tasks, only places you hadn't finished with, so you stumble round the areas looking for something to do
And I seem to be collecting bloody pigeons....I hate pigeons (flying rats, as far as I'm concerned!) Why?
I don't think I will buy, even as a SE

gernespieler
Catfish
Catfish
1,615 Posts

[Post New]by gernespieler on May 7, 15 12:50 PM
I have just finished the game incl. the Bonus capitel and yes, I must agree with everything that was said before and yes, the bonus content is again very very short and shows us what .......... there will for sure be a next game ...... but not for me ! I even cannot recommend to buy this CE, if you really like this series wait for the SE

[Post New]by sandrachmiel on May 7, 15 1:05 PM
WAY too short. Bought game in the morning and had it finished before I needed to leave for work.
And I was tired of the dwarf after the first installment.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 7, 15 2:46 PM
SG is the usual and is easy to follow if you need it. I use it only to make sure I found all of the collectibles. Jump map was very generic and needed actual pictures of the locations with the names to properly identify where you were going. HOPs are the usual interactive lists with nothing extra. Time to upgrade a bit on this one. They are clear and clean and items are not difficult to find. Puzzles are very simple. I do like the block puzzles, e.g., move the pieces to form a picture, but I'm also a big jigsaw puzzle person. Some of the others took a little time to complete, but are not difficult.

The only collectibles I found are the pigeons. Not sure if their collection means anything, other than finding out about each bird. This is rather boring and one of the suggestions I made was to add something else to the collectibles to make it more interesting. Didn't happen. They are not all that hard to spot, but some are quite small and/or far away. Disappointed in these.

I beta tested this one back in February and made a few simple suggestions...naturally, they were ignored. I have all of the others in this series and like them all, but this one left a bit to be desired. The game flowed well, but the only challenge was trying to see the small birds. Very disappointed in the fact that the demo only had 2 chapters. Extremely short play. When I beta tested this one, I only gave it a 3.5 because I didn't feel it was CE worthy, based on the boring collectibles, or lack there of. I will give this one a 4 only because I like the story line, but I am still not sure it is CE worthy. It is going in my puddle for now. If there is a really good CE sale, I'll get it. Otherwise, I'll wait for the SE.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. It is a nice game and one I think most all players would like in one form or another. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on May 7, 15 5:49 PM

The Dark Wishes This Wasn't Another Editor's Dud

Setting: Something about the Philosopher's Stone, a professor of magic (you), Roberto and Lucia (your former pupils), and the Brotherhood of the Dove. There is a story in there somewhere, but don't try to make too much sense of it.

Drawing and cut scenes are very nicely done. The scenes have the unmistakeable signature of the developer. Transition between scenes is sometimes done using a "fish-eye" effect which is quite stunning. Music and sounds, while of decent quality, are all too familiar because they've been used so many times in earlier games. Voices are mostly good, except the villain's voice is cartoon-ish and not scary in the least. The dialog tries to develop the storyline but leaves the impression the story was scribbled out on a stone.

Hidden object scenes (12) are designed exclusively for beginners. There are very few objects in the scenes and they are reasonably large. Mini-games (18) provide a little bit more of a challenge but not much. Some have a Casual/Hard setting. But they are also not particularly interesting or innovative in style or design. I found myself flying through the HOPs and mini-games and I began to lose interest. Was there a map? I did not see one in the demo, nor was one needed.

Difficulty settings: There are four, but there is no setting for map indicators or objectives so I chose Advanced. If you like to adjust things, Hint and Skip can be set to between 5-200 seconds.

CE Extras: Not much. There are collectible pigeons (14, I think), 21 achievements, strategy guide, bonus level and the pseudo extra stuff.

I came away with the impression that the developer "mailed it in" on this one. It is totally derivative in story, artwork and music. Haunted Legends has been a good series, but unfortunately the high water mark was several years ago with Queen of Spades. I expect this would be an extremely short game and the play to be a disappointment to any player except a raw beginner.

Pigeons are notorious for making messes, and this fulfills that expectation.

bfgfan25
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by bfgfan25 on May 7, 15 10:52 PM
I seem to have lower standards than many of the members here, but this was dreadfully boring even for me. Judging by the last few ERS games, it seems the devs are trying to cure insomnia. They might be onto something.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on May 12, 15 12:09 PM
When I played the demo I was really taken with this game. Great graphics fantastic animations (the voice overs were a bit annoying), smooth flowing gameplay and a good transporter map.

After purchase, the game was still good, but began to get a bit slow in the sense it was getting boring. HOS for the most part were just standard HOS with very little or no interaction. Puzzles could sometimes be easy but for the most part they were basically tedious and I don't have time for that when I am trying to move through a game. NOT a puzzle person. You could set your own custom settings so you can make the skip and hint refresh quickly.

The basic game seemed quite long...almost too long after awhile. I can't put my finger on it, maybe because the story is not unique and a lot like all the others. When it was time for the bonus game I decided to come back later and pick it up.

The bonus game was a total waste of time. Short and with a totally ridiculous ending. Seems the developers were getting as bored as I was and just decided to end it...bang...really weak. If I had paid full price for this I would be really upset. There was absolutely nothing in this CE that was CE "extra" except the bonus game which was a total rip off. Highly recommend you wait for the SE...you won't be missing anything except losing money on a bad CE. I give this a 3- out of 5.

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on May 20, 15 4:33 PM
Having just completed the Collector's Edition of
"Haunted Legends: The Dark Wishes",
I must say that it left me disappointed.
I found the entire game rather Dis-Jointed,
and the User-Interface didn't run very smoothly at all.
Have no idea what has caused this change,
but ERS Game Studios has gone-down-hill
from the prior Top-Notch Rating it once held.
IMHO
the kat
=^,,^=
gma0trips

[Post New]by feenix2011 on May 24, 15 5:06 PM
Well, the ole XP is still performing!! Can't afford a new computer so I'll just keep taking chances. Well, my favorite thing about ERS games is the artwork of the characters. Such beautiful people!! I wish I had met Roberto!!! What a man! Anyhoo, I do agree that the game was a simple one, but that is not always a bad thing, even for a seasoned player. In my opinion, sometimes, you want to play a game that doesn't make you want to scream (with frustration that is!!). I think a beginner player would enjoy this game - its easy to follow, the graphics are always nice, and the story is "eh". The dwarf really gets on my nerves and has since the first game came out, so I would say - enough is enough already with the dwarf. And a big YES to a totally useless bonus game. I guess I'm rambling, so I will close with a try it, you may like it.

feenix

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 10, 15 7:52 AM
Outside of the bonus game, which was short and weak, the game was a good game. Great graphics, great sound, and great story line. I was a little short, but high quality. I'd recommend it, but that is based on my particular tastes. You may differ. Heck, the demo is free, why not try it?

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Jan 3, 16 1:05 PM
This is probably my least liked of the Haunted Legends series. It was just ok but nothing like some of the others I've played. Was quite disappointed with the bonus game. It was so short I'm not sure why they even bothered to make a bonus game. Hoping the next Haunted Legends is better.

Go to: