Please post your REVIEWS for Sable Maze: Twelve Fears Collectors Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on May 14, 15 12:40 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 05/14/2015 at 6:35:32 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Sable Maze: Twelve Fears Collectors Edition here

[Post New]by 9otters on May 14, 15 2:15 AM
Whoa. Don't quite know where to begin. I felt like I was going off the rails on a crazy train!

I stumbled around for 60 minutes, played all the mini-games/puzzles. For the life of me I don't know how I won the final board game before the demo ended. The instructions were to "have more pieces than your opponent on the board when the game ends". Beyond that, I was on my own. Referred to the strategy guide. No further instructions. The solution was random.

RANDOM! Hey, that's the word I'm looking for! This whole game seems random. For me, it just didn't have any flow. Interactions with game elements seemed clunky. At first I thought it was just glitchy, but now I'm not so sure. Puzzle/game directions--poor to none. Next logical step--who knows?

Confusing and/or messy HOGs. Garish colors. Interactive, but couldn't see the forest for the trees. Almost like they tried to squeeze too much into too small a space.

Gimmick/contraption--a "fear ball" that broke after every use and a PAGER that received random "fear" messages from persons unknown. Cut-scenes/animations galore. Interruption, interruption, interruption. OH, while my daughter is DROWNING.

Normally, I LOVE out-of-the-box thinking and things that are different. I guess there is a fine line between "different" and "needs some fine tuning"! All I can say is, PLEASE play the demo and judge for yourself. Perhaps you can make sense of it. I'm walking away while I still have a sense of humor and what is left of my wee bit of sanity.

Edited on 05/14/2015 at 3:56:06 PM PST

DebbieAnnie
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Sable Maze: Twelve Fears Collectors Edition here

[Post New]by DebbieAnnie on May 14, 15 2:59 AM
I completely agree with you...this is a very "different" kinda game...the flow is totally missing...the "fears" are weird...I had to use the guide several times, and the hint, too!! and it has the ever popular "paper dolls" mini-game that so many Devs think they MUST also include them in their games...I feel like one Dev comes up with something different and they ALL have to include everything that the other Dev's used....I for one really do not like them now, regarding the HO's I'm not sure if I liked them or not...They are different and I think that's a good thing, perhaps I just have to get used to them....

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on May 14, 15 6:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Sable Maze: Twelve Fears Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Sable Maze: Twelve Fears Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by greenshade on May 14, 15 7:16 AM
Having played the beta without any time contraints I was able to really relax and explore this game and I became more excited about seeing this one come to fruition than I have any game in a long time.

I adore the fact that the dad "talks" during the the first HO and hope to see that continue and that it's a progressive silhouette makes me all the more happy...

I learned to watch that phone because when it's lighting up there's usually a maze piece to grab and place in appropriate places.

To tell you the truth, I didn't play the whole demo but checked to see if the opening scenes hadn't been changed from the demo (in other words "dumbed down") so I just went ahead and bought it.

This is my kind of WEIRD FUN and kudos to Daily Magic for REALLY upping their game on this one!!!!!

Off to play!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on May 14, 15 8:23 AM
This game requires suspension of disbelief in order to get through it and is probably not for everyone.

It's weird, crazy, and very different. There are a lot of puzzles and mini games and they are fun and different. HOS are very interactive and there doesn't appear to be as many HOS as puzzles so far and the lists don't contain a lot of items. The graphics are nice, clear and sharp.

I think this game is really well done and its a buy for me. I myself didn't really care for the Dad's voice in the beginning but he seems to talk less as the game progresses, lets hope that continues.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 14, 15 8:50 AM
I have to agree with 9otters; the whole game seems random. Puzzles and HOS appear to have been thrown haphazardly into the game at no particularly relevant point. The ever present 'gimmick', in this case a fear ball, was clearly made very badly as it broke after every use. I kept forgetting to check that phone/pager/whatever it was for messages from goodness knows who. And all the time the daughter is drowning there's no real sense of urgency from the father; he just goes off to solve another puzzle

Graphics were fine, if a touch garish; I didn't have the music on. If there was a map I didn't see it. No idea what the extras were (apart from collectibles that I couldn't find) or how many chapters. But the download is over 1300mb which may indicate a long game (or poor compression).

Different it may be but I will have to come back to it when I've got over this awful cold. Really don't feel well enough for 'weird' right now

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on May 14, 15 9:26 AM
I beta'd this game not too long ago and remember really liking it once I got used to the gameplay. It took a little bit of time to figure it out but once I did I was loving it!
I bought it. I love the graphics and all the puzzles and minis. Love the HOS.
Very interactive and keeps my attention.
Thank you developers. Great job!!

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on May 14, 15 11:01 AM
I'm not good at reviews but I am enjoying it. Agree with mhatfie and Biomix. Good game.

PirateGirl212
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by PirateGirl212 on May 14, 15 2:21 PM
I really did not like the game at all way too complicated I got annoyed with it very fast. I also felt it was way to long it kept dragging and dragging on and on to the point where it was driving me crazy!

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on May 14, 15 6:30 PM
I usually like games by this developer, but didn't care for this one at all. I give the developers credit for bringing something a bit different to the table, but I didn't feel the game was different in a good way. Way too many puzzles for my liking. Even the HOS were puzzles The daughter is drowning and the dad goes off to solve.... a puzzle I didn't have any tech issues, so that's a plus. I just felt the entire game was random and disjointed. It hopped from here to there without any real story. I love idea of the fears, but not the way it was presented in this game. Also, really didn't see anything that would make it a good CE purchase.

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on May 14, 15 9:20 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure how far in the demo gets you but after the crazy house start it does settle into a more familiar routine.
You go into different fear worlds trying to save your daughter while the real story starts to emerge.
I think it's a good game, not amazing but a good game. I like the interactive hos but don't like the new fad for finding an object then a puzzle piece under it. Just makes for double clicking! Although one game recently had the under pieces automatically going into place....much better.

This game reminds me a bit of the early Redemption Cemetery series, as each fear world is a little story in itself.

Enjoy for those who buy!

[Post New]by aguardiente on May 15, 15 5:22 AM
I couldn't get further than the first HO scene- the hot spots for the items were so particular- I don't have an interest in doing a game that is that finicky.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 15, 15 8:47 AM
Hi all. Here we have number 4 in this series...yep, got all the others. This one is not a as well done as the other games in this series, and as usual, there is a lot of blue and pink. Don't know why they can't clean that up, but very tiring on the eyes. Even so, colors were bright and clear. Game play was good, no problems during the demo, but characters had a very stiff movement. Music was okay, but got a little boring after a while. Not sure why devs think the music should over-power the dialog, but it seems to happen a lot lately, even when the music is turned down. Voice overs were just okay, but without much emotion or realism.

SG was the usual and is easy to follow. HOPs were interactive lists and the same with every one. This game definitely needed a change up in this area. You can switch to the match 3, which is not one of my favorite games. At first I liked the way they were done, but then it got boring very quickly. You have to get 3 matches in a row in one area in order to eliminate the items. Too much time spent on this and not the game. One thing I didn't care for was that there were a lot of items that needed to be put together, so you were always looking for another part before you could complete a task elsewhere. Maybe they did this to make the game seem longer...it just got old real quick. HOPs are very few in the demo, so hopefully they pick up a bit as the game progresses. Puzzles were extremely simple and took no real brain power to complete. Hint system was helpful and did transport to longer locations. Jump map worked well and was clear and easy to follow.

Collectibles...fears. Now this was a nice idea, but just finding a picture of a fear was boring. I really saw no "fear" anywhere. The collectibles were extremely disappointing and needed a lot more to make this one CE worthy.

Even though I did like the story line on this one, it was somewhat choppy and did not flow well. You would find an item, use it and lose it, then need to find another "like" item to do the same thing that one did, e.g. flashlight and lantern. Almost like someone took parts and pieces of other games to put this one together. As I said, I do not feel this game is CE worthy and not sure SE works for me either. Maybe...maybe a beginner would find this one fun, but not for me. I'll give the SE a shot when it comes out and see what happens, but not holding my breath.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on May 15, 15 7:10 PM
Oh my, after many grueling hours of making my way through this game, I am ready to post my shortest review ever. One word says it all.

PAINFUL!!!

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on May 16, 15 4:47 PM
The game was okay. At first I liked the puzzle HOGs but then it got old. I preferred to play the match 3 games instead. There are a lot of puzzles in this game. But some of them are super easy. Too easy in fact. Sometimes it was hard to know what the game wanted. By the end of the game I just wanted it to be over.

They story is weird and makes no sense. The Marissa girl has some serious issues.

Wait for the SE if you are on the fence about this one.

Edited on 05/16/2015 at 4:48:39 PM PST

Kirland
Manatee
Manatee
3,699 Posts

[Post New]by Kirland on May 16, 15 4:57 PM
Now this is what I call a game. I am so tired of the mindless HO games. This game really has you thinking. I am playing it in hard mode and have been able to get through the mini-games and solving each chapter so far. It might take me a bit longer but I like that I really have to put my thinking cap on. Since I am in no hurry to finish, I am really enjoying figuring out what to do next. I hope more of the game developers will take a look at this game and follow suit.

Keep them coming.

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

I'm Afraid...

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on May 18, 15 3:11 AM
Part 1 of 3
...This good idea is not well executed.
Choosy mothers choose "do not recommend," and instead suggest cooking up another goody, fresh biscuits perhaps. Other mothers place pen firmly in the "Do recommend" box and as usual give it 5 stars.

I'm the brother from another mother...this game is not a 1 and it's not a 5. That may the the most damning of all reviews: mediocre. Not good. Not the worst. Just "meh."

I'm not going to give you a laundry list of what features this game has. Mine is surely not the first review you've read and you don't need me to quote numbers. Instead, I'll talk about how I feel about the game (very therapeutic).

What are the specifics:

Fun Factor: Well it starts off fun...a cavalcade of color and a great title with the anticipation of something really scary. ALL TWELVE FEARS!! "Wow" say I with not a small dose of irony. There is nothing scary about this at all...except the idea that the father of the child who's lost in the maze seems to get mad at her for being in harm's way even though he's the one who brought her to this strange place to begin with.

When I play these games, I like the fear factor. I'm not into fairy tale adventures and princes and magic potions. I like criminals and apprehending them; evil doctors and foiling their nefarious plans to destroy the world. I love mysteries and intrigue...Think "Catch me When You Can" (I'm still waiting for another Angelica Weaver story), Haunted Halls Fear From Childhood (Exactly what this is supposed to be, but done with flair," or the Midnight Mysteries series. Those are quality games. This game offers none of that style and intrigue and NONE of the fear factor. And as soon as you realize it (sadly for me it was only AFTER my hour-long trial was complete and I purchased) you also realize that if fear is fun, this game has none.

Visually, the game is better than good in my opinion. The sound is a mixed bag: the father-narrator sounds like he's reading not acting; I'm not sure what to call the lip synching but whatever it is, it is not lip synching. It's mouths moving open and closed. Imagine a big fish. The background music is good at the beginning with notes of intrigue and fear...but that dissipates shortly into the game when the sound becomes more calliope-like.

To be continued....

Edited on 05/18/2015 at 3:35:30 AM PST

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

Sable Maze: 12 Fear continued

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on May 18, 15 3:18 AM
Part 2 of 3:

The level of challenge is poor. To me there were obvious places where challenging puzzles could have been included but instead what was puzzling simply required left-clicking and voila, puzzle solved. There wasn't even a pretense to make a puzzle in these cases. Pieces moved magically into place. This is a missed opportunity and why I say that the "idea" behind this game is good but the execution is not. Other games could be fun and challenging if they were fully explained. More often than not I found myself pressing buttons with little more order than chaos. A good explanation of not just the goal, but more specifics about how to achieve it would have been helpful. I don't mean "giving the solution," but I do mean quantifying it a bit. I hope this makes sense. A puzzle isn't a puzzle if it's not puzzling. There should be enough information to make it hard! There wasn't. One puzzle required putting a fire out and warned that the fire could re-light. Ok. Once you realize that you douse flames aiming to create a little border, the puzzle is solved. Another puzzle simply tells you that you must end with more pieces than your opponent. More pieces of what??? It doesn't say. Shortly you will realize that when you move (add) a piece it changes all the pieces within the border to the same piece. Predictably, the game ended with me victorious but feeling like the victory was hollow because the lack of explanation made it a game of chance instead of a game of wits.

Of course, the first puzzle is the favorite. When the first puzzle is the only one you reference, it's because it's the only one you played. If you rely only on the first real puzzle, yes, you'd give the game four, not five, stars because it is a good, not great, puzzle. Choosy mothers choose 2 or 3 stars at most for Level of Challenge because they demand quality. Matching puzzle pieces one with another making sure all adjoining edges are the same color isn't difficult when several puzzle pieceshave unique color positioning. I.e., they can't possible fit anywhere else.

The HOGs: Yes, a key goes into a keyhole. Yes a planet goes on the mobile with the other planets. Yes, the star that fell is a "falling star" and it goes into the empty star slot. There's nothing original or difficult about this. It's a progressive HOG. Another, very simple HOG style is the silhouette format. Nothing new. Nothing creative. Nothing ventured. Absolutely NOTHING gained...except a nap. YAWN.
To be continued.

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

Sable Maze: Twelve Fears Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on May 18, 15 3:23 AM
Part 3 of 3:

Storyline: Well the story LINE IS great. If you like scary you're gonna like a game about "facing your fears." This is not an original idea (we've seen nightmare/bad dream HOG/Adventure/Puzzle themed games many times before). I'm all over that stuff. But the end result must be scary. This is not. Stray Souls: Dollhouse Story is scary. This is something other.

This is a Collector's Edition. That's only important if you're enjoying the game. Otherwise it makes the drudgery last even longer. Yes there are collectibles. The thing is, if you don't collect you can't proceed...it's not difficult. It's a requirement to finish the game. No special achievement. Oh. Yeah. Achievements. There are several. What does it matter? Completing HOSs without a hint or completing puzzles without skipping...is not an achievement. It's what you do when you're trying to get your money's worth out of a game you've bought...but wish you'd not.

Moment of Zen: the "developers' diary" is included as an extra. It's 18 pics of the team on...wait for it...a merry go round. Yes, standing in place but going in circles.

Avoid this. You will NOT enjoy.

In my game-site review I gave 2 stars overall.
My favorite game: Anything that's NOT Sable Maze: Twelve Fears Collector's Edition.

Eat your Biscuits! (Inside joke).

Go to: