siladan
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

Excessive HKEY remnants after uninstall

[Post New]by siladan on May 15, 15 9:18 AM
I posted this on the game site review page, but thought it might need to be addressed here, too. I'm not sure it will go through on there and thought people need to know this.

I didn't play the whole game, as the game play was mediocre due to no map, boring HO piles, and outdated graphics. I usually wouldn't review a game that I haven't finished since I don't believe you can give a true review on a partial game (how many times have YoU played a demo you loved, only to be disappointed after purchase... and vice versa?).

However, I thought I needed to let others know that after uninstalling, 3637 HKEY items were left in the registry. I use a wonderful uninstaller that alerted me to the left overs and I promptly cleaned them up. It took far longer than usual, partially due to the number of remnants... but I did notice long pauses as the program attempted to clean... which is also unusual.

Many games have left overs after an uninstall, but I have never had more than 20-25 and usually much less. This game was excessive. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with this developer, but I'm not sure I will trial more games by them.

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

Re:Excessive HKEY remnants after uninstall

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on May 15, 15 5:13 PM
G'day siladan,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Certain information can continue to exist on the system after being removed to make it easier to resume if or when a program is reinstalled. The files, the locations they may found in and other details of this nature are most often determined by the programmers in line with Microsoft and industry standards.

Please be aware that making adjustments to the registry is something that we do not recommend as it can impact the system in very significant ways.

Please do not hesitate to contact Customer Support or a moderator with any further questions.

bfgMurrumbidgee

Edited on 05/15/2015 at 5:13:43 PM PST

siladan
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by siladan on May 16, 15 5:44 AM
I totally understand that your average user would not/should not tamper with systems that they don't understand. I'm not your average user, but I thank you for the warning.

The point is not to have people clean their registry of error keys (which can be done safely and effectively if you know how) but to make other gamers aware that THIS game has an excessive amount of leftovers.... 3637 to be exact. Most BF games that I clear have 20-25 at the most.

Remnants ARE left for varying reasons. Those you listed are among those reasons and there are many others. But intelligent gamers (and some who are not as savvy) like to know what is being left on their computers when a game is deleted. Plus, there are those who reasonably assume that their systems are clear.

This was in no way an endorsement to have gamers modify their systems. I was merely pointing out that one might want to think twice about downloading a game that leaves an excessive amount of HKEYS.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jun 8, 15 10:40 AM
Almost all programs leave some items in the registry and in other folders scattered around the computer.....or at least that is what I was told by a friend who worked on computers for a living.
Then there are programs that get installed often when installing a program.
and there are background programs and spyware that infect the computer from visiting web pages, might be embedded in e-mail.....or embedded and added to photos and other things we look at or save.

I was told to have a reputable computer technician wipe the computer down to its factory settings and to do a fresh install of all the programs.
That is a royal pain in the ****, and expensive to boot.

If there is any good program that can really show which are the unnecessary programs and bits of programs that can safely be removed, I would surely like to know it.

Go to: