Thank You ART Forum

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

Thank You ART Forum

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on May 18, 15 2:09 PM
Just saw the news..

Although many of us had a sinking feeling this was the direction, now that it's official it's still a bummer.

Truthfully though, it was all of YOU that made this game enjoyable for me. We've all downloaded and played games we've paid for, but this was something new..

We were able to play a game alongside others. Get and offer advice, agree and disagree, laugh and feel sadness as some stopped playing. We became a worldwide group of friends! How great is that?

I am honored to have met such a wonderful group of people. There are many FTP forums here but I must say this one felt the most like home for me..

So THANK YOU my fellow ART players.. it's been quite the ride and a wonderful experience for me..

What now? For me, I'll still stick around.. assuming the game is now on a loop.. still want to see what Pirate Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas look like..

Not quite ready to turn the lights out yet... hope some of you will still pop in now and then to check on Beechwood.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

Re:Thank You ART Forum

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 18, 15 2:18 PM
I'm staying until I've completed the Christmas event.

Will continue to play my 30 minutes worth to earn fuel to finish the museum complex. I'll continue to open game up and hand out keys.

But I've no stomach for playing Valentine's Day a third time.

Bluex
Salmon
Salmon
2,792 Posts

[Post New]by Bluex on May 18, 15 2:21 PM
Likewise!

The news is spreading like wild fire.. I just checked the Midnight Castle thread and they are going APOPLECTIC over there thinking they are next . They got the pitchforks and battle axes ready, people probably fainting and everything..

read it here,

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/407008.page

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on May 18, 15 2:43 PM
Bluex wrote:Likewise!

The news is spreading like wild fire.. I just checked the Midnight Castle thread and they are going APOPLECTIC over there thinking they are next . They got the pitchforks and battle axes ready, people probably fainting and everything..

read it here,

That thread has now been locked.. and I don't think MC has to worry.. at least not yet. They have a huge facebook following..

We know that the reason ART and AK are over, I think, is because the developers are changing their business model.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 18, 15 2:46 PM
ChestnutHeights wrote:

read it here,

That thread has now been locked.. and I don't think MC has to worry.. at least not yet. They have a huge facebook following..

We know that the reason ART and AK are over, I think, is because the developers are changing their business model.

And the gold-giving glitch and the bug-infested updates weren't likely to make BF beg them to reconsider.

Bluex
Salmon
Salmon
2,792 Posts

[Post New]by Bluex on May 18, 15 3:04 PM
I agree, you and Oddly were right on spot there Tsue...

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on May 18, 15 3:16 PM
TiramaSue wrote:
ChestnutHeights wrote:

read it here,

And the gold-giving glitch and the bug-infested updates weren't likely to make BF beg them to reconsider.

I think the gold glitch was legitimate.
And I think that in trying to figure out how to solve it, they realized that it was a larger issue.
Perhaps even something that needed major recoding. And I think they realized that to properly fix the game would be more than what they were willing to invest at this point in the game.

And I don't think this last update (January) was anything more than last August's update without anymore thought. Simply fulfillment of a contractual obligation.

And I don't think they've were ever working on the game for 7 months. I think in that time, they were building up their new game models.. and only released this when they HAD to.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 18, 15 3:36 PM
The gold giving glitch was really a simple miscoding error.

At the end of the auction, instead of the program total gold bars paid to gold bars on hand and putting the answer back into gold bars on hand, the program was coded to add gold bars paid to total gold COINS on hand and putting the answer in gold bars on hand.

One variable name wrong. Easy to fix. However, this mistake meant that a good number of people were now gold bar millionaires and would never spend real money on the game ever again. Worse from BZ's and BF's point of view, these multi-millionaires were willing to share the wealth with people who missed out on the bonanza.

Then add in all the non-revenue producing hours spent studying game transcripts to give back gold from the gold-grabbing glitch. And that glitch was again a simple programming error. They moved the wrong variable into the total gold bars on hand field.

Fixing the programming errors was easy. Figuring out how to make the game generate revenue was not. Meanwhile, there was that Asian mobile devices market just sitting there.

I agree about January's update. It was August's update with a few lines of code thrown in to make the special events repeat ad infinitum and to remove any references to anything coming soon.

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on May 18, 15 3:48 PM
I remember the glitch.. someone gave me 200 gold for a worthless item. And I'll have to take your word about the complexity or lack there of for the programming.

I just don't get why the 7 month delay? Why not have released the game in August and left it at that? Why bring it into this year? Was it because they were required to do a 2015 update?

That part has always bothered me and I can't figure out the logic behind it.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 18, 15 4:07 PM
BZ's updates have always been released late. They constantly missed the target date. Look at Valentine's Day. The big charity ball is held almost 2 weeks after V day.

I think they missed the target date. Releasing the game later than August whatever would mean that there wasn't enough time for people to do what needs to be done before the Pirate's Day event kicks off.

And maybe the Halloween material was supposed to be in an October update, but it depends on player's having completed some of the quests from the August update.

I'm not sure at this point everybody knew that BF and BZ were going to sever their relationship. I sure don't get the feeling that Monica knew back then.

IMO, if it was known then, it would have made more sense to start the recycling with Thanksgiving, since that was the first special event ART had.

Maybe then decision to end it came later and TPTB thought the special events recycling should start with the first one on the calendar year.

I doubt either side is going to say anything on the record about what went wrong and when.

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on May 18, 15 4:08 PM
Having read and hopefully digested it all correctly, I will be surprised if we get the Pirate Day or Halloween,

On the bright side maybe they wrote it into the last update so it could happen, Will I still be around to play it? Possibly not. I have just spent heaps upgrading all the buildings and have not really played much since the end of the spring fling.

Oh well! back to get my pitchfork ready for defending the castle.

Bondi Girl

Bluex
Salmon
Salmon
2,792 Posts

[Post New]by Bluex on May 18, 15 4:08 PM
ChestnutHeights wrote:I remember the glitch.. someone gave me 200 gold for a worthless item. And I'll have to take your word about the complexity or lack there of for the programming.

I just don't get why the 7 month delay? Why not have released the game in August and left it at that? Why bring it into this year? Was it because they were required to do a 2015 update?

That part has always bothered me and I can't figure out the logic behind it.

maybe they didn't have it done proper (which we can see)in August and had to rush on account of the buyout of BFg in Nov.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 18, 15 4:33 PM
AnnaDownes01 wrote:Having read and hopefully digested it all correctly, I will be surprised if we get the Pirate Day or Halloween,

On the bright side maybe they wrote it into the last update so it could happen, Will I still be around to play it? Possibly not. I have just spent heaps upgrading all the buildings and have not really played much since the end of the spring fling.

Oh well! back to get my pitchfork ready for defending the castle.

Bondi Girl

I think we'll get them because those events presumably open up Spain and Romania. We won't know for certain until the July 4th event is over and we see if there's another countdown clock.

wulfruna
Flounder
Flounder
2,249 Posts

[Post New]by wulfruna on May 18, 15 4:55 PM
Yes, I am assuming that we will at least get the Independence Day, as that is just a repeat of last year and doesn't involve an update. The same goes for Christmas of course. We just don't know about the Pirate's Day and Halloween - the impression was given that these are already programmed in and just waiting for the date to come round, but I do have doubts about whether that would be possible without an update to download the new material.
So I shall not abandon it altogether just yet - but then, by now most of you know that I have ever been the optimist and have refused to give in to those who only see the bad........
So I will stick with the challenge of bringing my (so far!) glitch-free second game to a successful conclusion and am more than happy to continue offering encouragement and advice to players further back down the line.
I also want to thank the many wonderful friends I have encountered here in this Forum - what an amazing crowd you all are!

Bluex
Salmon
Salmon
2,792 Posts

[Post New]by Bluex on May 18, 15 5:06 PM
wulfruna wrote:Yes, I am assuming that we will at least get the Independence Day, as that is just a repeat of last year and doesn't involve an update. The same goes for Christmas of course. We just don't know about the Pirate's Day and Halloween - the impression was given that these are already programmed in and just waiting for the date to come round, but I do have doubts about whether that would be possible without an update to download the new material.
So I shall not abandon it altogether just yet - but then, by now most of you know that I have ever been the optimist and have refused to give in to those who only see the bad........
So I will stick with the challenge of bringing my (so far!) glitch-free second game to a successful conclusion and am more than happy to continue offering encouragement and advice to players further back down the line.
I also want to thank the many wonderful friends I have encountered here in this Forum - what an amazing crowd you all are!

Now that's a lady! I concur. Thank YOU Wulf for all that you do in the forum. You have made a difference!

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 18, 15 5:17 PM
Oh, I get to be the optimist. Yes, we'll get Pirate's Day and Halloween. Those quests are already downloaded and waiting to be triggered by the date on your system clock.

No different from quests being downloaded but sitting around until they are triggered by a player reaching a certain level.

Whether they'll be glitch-free...

OddlyEnuh
Stingray
Stingray
4,982 Posts

[Post New]by OddlyEnuh on May 18, 15 5:34 PM
Wow that took some doing... finding the histrionics free thread I mean.

I agree no great shock at the announcement. I agree with CH completely. I will continue playing and like Tsue's idea about skipping quest fests if I don't feel like playing them; did not say it at the time but did not hit Spring quests much at all because I did not see the point in accumulating gold. But I think there is still fun to be had, we know there are two more new contents periods to come and we haven't played Thanksgiving and Christmas for what seems like for forever.

So I guess if someone finds a good game let us know over here so we can follow suit; otherwise, I will be playing until it is complete or it disappears. Doubt it will disappear, money still coming in from new players and the cost has already been established and paid for, I would suspect.

ART is a great game. I am pretty sure it will continue to be my all time favorite. Only thing that will be sad is the regs leaving the forum, I have thoroughly enjoyed that part of the game and add my thanks to the folks that made this a worthwhile forum.

PS: the realist got the optimist - you so know we will be in here figuring out the glitches and work arounds on the new content!

Edited on 05/18/2015 at 5:35:49 PM PST

Bluex
Salmon
Salmon
2,792 Posts

[Post New]by Bluex on May 18, 15 7:41 PM
lol, i thought i was going to have to pass my oxygen mask around this afternoon!..

I for one am going to play it all again...Im even pumping up for our Theodi's! God knows what I am going to do with Issa though.. gods!

Level 41 (from 0 to41 in less than two weeks) opened up New Zealand so that's the last one for a while unless one of them opens for that special Ran soon so who knows. I for one am relieved, to be honest that its said and done. They are not pulling the plug and there will always be people in here asking questions.

[Post New]by fishfingers10 on May 18, 15 11:58 PM
I will stick around as well, wont jump the sinking ship yet hopefully we will get the pirates day if nothing else, not ready to leave the good people of ART forum, part of my daily routine now!

wulfruna
Flounder
Flounder
2,249 Posts

[Post New]by wulfruna on May 19, 15 1:45 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if they would put us out of our misery and tell us up front whether the pirates day and Halloween ARE actually in the pipeline?????? (i.e. contained within the last update)
If so, then that would keep a lot of players still on board.
But I suppose that if they admitted that those events are now lost, then that would drive away even more.
So I suppose it is in their interest to keep us on tenterhooks.....

Go to: