No New updates

No New updates

[Post New]by dsjones41 on May 22, 15 6:57 PM
If there will be no new updates, I vote with my wallet. I spent money on this game every month. I will not spend money on any Big Fish Games EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Vlania
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

Re:No New updates

[Post New]by Vlania on May 22, 15 7:30 PM
Welcome to the forum, ds. There are many like minded people here. Check out the thread "STAYS in the game". http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/407237.page

Trying to get BZ to change their mind.

[Post New]by dsjones41 on May 22, 15 7:40 PM
I will not throw good money after bad. I live on so-so (social) security. I will now feel like the $$ I spent on this game was wasted. It is not possible to finish because, for all intents and purposes BZ/BFG defaulted on an implied agreement with all of us. To me, that is fraud. I'll play until I reach what level I can. But BFG will never get another nickle from me. I've wasted too much $$$ on these liars already! This is not the way to run a business and retain your customers.

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on May 22, 15 9:30 PM
Most of us are disappointed at the decision to end this game where it currently stands, especially with the programming issues (think missing gloves)..

However, I don't think you should think that you wasted your money.. if you used your money for the enjoyment while you were playing, then it was well spent.

Just curious, how would you have like to see the game concluded? What would have been a good ending?

For me, I would have liked to see them finish the missing painting quests with a chapter on finding the thief and to finish that part of the storyline.

GOBSTOPPERS
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by GOBSTOPPERS on May 23, 15 11:21 AM
i agree..it hasnt been a waste of money but the true crime is the

WASTE OF....talent,time,energy,effort,artistry....and espeically.....

A H U G E WASTE OF POTENTIAL P R O F I T....

loss of profit....from shelfing the game instead of CHARGING FOR THE NEXT UPDATE OR YOU MUST PURCHASE THE NEXT UPDATE.... if you charge players ....coins,gold and actually money.... you just begin to at least start the ball rolling in the correct direction...i must say it would be much better than what they have done in the past which is loose money due to losing control of their most precious comodity...the gold bars.. and giving FREE updates...!!

convert the game from FREE TO PLAY... to its free to play to a certain point then if you wish to continue you must purchase an update from here on out...

just like the arcade...!!! if you go play a game ...some ask for say $1.00 to start playing then if you hit a check point you can continue... but eventually you will be unable to hit evey check point..... at that point its says....

if you want to continue please insert 4 more coins!!!!

BF AND BZ.... why not learn from the PROFITS of others and ensue this same in this game and AWK????

or.....

like i stated.... shelf it have have a HUGE WASTE OF POTENTIAL PROFIT

and why NOT REPROGAM.... take your time BZ.... we all knowyou have in the past .... why not now... and get this game where it should be.... making players happy feeding their addiction to your games AAAAAAAAAAAAAND MAKE A PROFIT????????????????

Edited on 05/25/2015 at 6:28:10 AM PST

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 23, 15 11:56 AM
To make a profit on this game, BZ would have to do an enormous amount of reprogramming to prevent people from completing multiple special collectibles sets AND wipe out all the food and gold and other resources people have stockpile while waiting for updates.

And if they did that, how likely is it that anybody who lose their stash of resources would open up their wallet and buy coins and gold bars?

I've got an energy bar of over 22,000 and I can refill it 90 times with the pizza and lasagna I've got in my inventory. That doesn't include the refills and increases from the mac n cheese I already own, and the food I could but with my 10,000,000+ coins. Or the food I could win in the arcade with my 1600+ stars.

And I'd bet my house that I'm not the wealthiest (in terms of inventory) person playing the game. And then consider that for almost 7 months, all I did was hand out keys and do the daily quest. Just imagine how much stuff I'd have if I had played even 1-2 hours a day?

Anything that BZ could come up with to strip out my inventory would be so punitive to new players. And what could they come up with to get back the millions of gold that some people have?

The games has been unprofitable for quite a long time and was kept around because the BZ HOPAs and maybe AK was bringing in the $$$.

BZ stopped promoting their FTP games on the Facebook page at least a year ago. Instead, they have been pushing their mobile phone games. That's where BZ thinks the money is, and I'd say that they are in a better position than we are to know.

GOBSTOPPERS
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by GOBSTOPPERS on May 23, 15 12:48 PM
updated comment...see above!

yes there is profit in tablet,ipad and cellphone games.... but ill betcha a shiny new nickel that there are STILL MILLIONS OF PEOPLE that still use personal computers and laptops for business and pleasure....if not we all wouldnt be playing this game...!!!!!!

Edited on 05/23/2015 at 12:54:35 PM PST

ekstra2000
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,357 Posts

[Post New]by ekstra2000 on May 23, 15 1:37 PM
I'm sure there are boatloads of money to be made in the mobile industry. It's pretty obvious when you consider that each new "generation" has faster speed and higher resolution. Remind you of anything in the computer world?
From my pov, however, I will keep my computer. The only things I can play on a phone are M3 games and similar...HOS would make my eyes go crossed and never straighten out again. I had a game on my DS (made by BF and part of the MCF family) that was fun, but just about blinded me even with the ability to enlarge a quarter of the screen at a time. (Hey, BF, how about MillionHeir for my computer??!)
I'm not a Luddite, but I still prefer to use my phone as a phone, rather than as a mobile "device". I have a Nook...use it to read and to play Sudoku at night (best sleep aid in the world is looking at Sudoku until your eyes close). Mostly, however, I use my computer. It does everything I need, and large enough for me to see it. (For the most part...can't play Wanderland even on this screen.)
The issue, overall, is that business is about making money. Part of that is to keep customers happy, but new customers generally spend more. The rest of the issue is that, in this society, many folks have had flashing images thrown at them since the day they were born. They are so used to being "entertained" that they can't entertain themselves...can't crawl into their own imaginations and think of something new. And they can't sit down at a table with a book, a deck of cards, or a jigsaw puzzle...nope, they have to have a "device". The scary part is that as voice technology gets better, we're very likely to wind up with a totally illiterate population, and when the machines start dying, we'll be lucky if there's anyone left with enough education to fix them.
Sorry...end of rant.
Let me keep my computer, and my books (yes, some on the Nook), and my cards, and my dice, and my puzzles.
Man, I'm getting old!

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 23, 15 1:52 PM
GOBSTOPPERS wrote:updated comment...see above!

yes there is profit in tablet,ipad and cellphone games.... but ill betcha a shiny new nickel that there are STILL MILLIONS OF PEOPLE that still use personal computers and laptops for business and pleasure....if not we all wouldnt be playing this game...!!!!!!

But the millions aren't playing this game and AK and/or are not willing to PAY for content. Why pay for an update on this game when there are other free to play games?

They TRIED charging for content. $0.99 for a pegacorn on AK and there were people who were outraged and claimed everything should be free.

Why would I pay to play the arcade when I don't need any of the prizes?

It very well may be that the people who play BF games aren't people willing to pay as they go. They either want free or they want to buy the game outright.

And charging game coins and/or gold bars for the next update - how does that bring in revenue to BF ad BZ?

BZ doesn't want to make this kind of game any more. And when people are forced to work on something, they produce garbage, like this last bug-infested update.

More people play games on mobile devices. Even the free-to-play games. More people are playing MC on iPad than they are on PC. Probably 4 times as many to judge by the number of people who enter the separate tournaments.

If I were running a gaming software company, I'd target the larger market.

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on May 23, 15 2:01 PM
To make a profit on this game, BZ would have to do an enormous amount of reprogramming to prevent people from completing multiple special collectibles sets AND wipe out all the food and gold and other resources people have stockpile while waiting for updates.

Anything that BZ could come up with to strip out my inventory would be so punitive to new players. And what could they come up with to get back the millions of gold that some people have?

For argument's sake, I agree that they'd have to make those programming changes. IF they were to stay in the game. But, YOU and ME would not be their target market. And they wouldn't care if we quit, because we are at a point where we aren't profitable anyway..

They want those folks so eager to gain a level and to continue playing and don't have the stockpiles most of us have.

If I were them and IF were going to remake the game (to continue it) I'd remove the auction feature.

By having an open auction you enable players to help one another MORE than having to go to the bank and buy items. Especially, once how to play the auctions became apparent --- thank you daily quests!

AK was starting to see the same thing.. buddies helping out. I'm in the process of giving away my inventory to those who want to continue playing.. then I'll give my cash.. then I'll buy rare items with all my gems.. those players will be set.

Remove the auctions and force people to have to go to the Bank. That would have been the savior, I think.

And think of MC, it's really hard to help out a person.. you can only give them 1 item a day.. you need a lot of loyal friends and it would take ALOT of time to benefit the player.

Edited on 05/23/2015 at 2:10:34 PM PST

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 23, 15 2:03 PM
ekstra2000 - I've played AK on my iPad and prefer playing on that device. Some of the hidden object scenes are a challenge, but since I also play on my laptop, I had a general idea where I should be tapping. I haven't tried any HOPA's on it.

Maybe HOGs and HOPAs are just the wrong game play for free-to-play. And I doubt any game that attracts mostly people who can play 10+ hours a day can make a profit by relying on in-game purchases.

A big problem with designing games for the PC is that game costs have increased (used to cost 250,000 to make a decent HOPA, now costs 1 million and up according to a co-owner of BoomZap) but prices have remained static. And how many people would drop their game club if BF raised prices?

GOBSTOPPERS
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by GOBSTOPPERS on May 23, 15 2:36 PM
hi ekstra.... i fully agree with you.... theres no way my eyes can put up with playing this game or anything close to this on my ipad or my cell...no thank you!!! why play a game on a small screen when you can play it on a big screen????? makes no sense... the fun thing is hooking my laptop up to my bigscreen tv...!!! and the great thing is...my laptop is INDEED PORTABLE!!! i take it plenty of places...!!! i go to my coffee house and theres always 3 or 4 other people with laptops ..... i dont really see many ipads and cellphone being used..... mostly teenagers.

hi chesnutheights.... i agree...taking out the auction would definately elminate alot of problems....thats why dark manor is a success...!!

dark manor is constantly being updated and there is no auction....!!
tomo zaru has been running that game for years...its very successful....!!

tomo zaru and elephant games...are both very successful developers and they can make it work!!!!!

i would continue my membership if BF raised their prices... and i know PLENTY OF PLAYERS... that would pay cold hard $$ for a decent update to this game including myself!!!!

come on BM AND BF>>>!!!!

Edited on 05/23/2015 at 2:48:53 PM PST

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 23, 15 2:52 PM
GOBSTOPPERS wrote:hi ekstra.... i fully agree with you.... theres no way my eyes can put up with playing this game or anything close to this on my ipad or my cell...no thank you!!! why play a game on a small screen when you can play it on a big screen????? makes no sense... the fun thing is hooking my laptop up to my bigscreen tv...!!!

It makes no sense to you to play on anything but a PC.

Why play on a small screen? Because the small screen is portable. You can play anywhere. On line in the grocery store, on the bus or train while traveling to work, in a restaurant while waiting for you meal. People even take their mobile devices and play games while using the toilet, for crying out loud. In fact, I recently saw a poll that claimed more people play games while sitting on the toilet than they do while lying in bed.

And those people are the market game companies are after, not the people that want to play with their PC's hooked up to a large screen TV.

Have you looked at BoomZap's Facebook page? They're looking for programmers with iOS and android experience. Probably have fired all their PC programmers by now. BoomZap has moved on, has been moving on for probably 2 years. We've all been too busy playing HOPAs and HOGs to have noticed until it was too late.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 23, 15 3:03 PM
chestnut - at some point, any game will run out of new people to pay the freight for everybody else to play. I agree that it's at the very beginning that people are more likely to pay.

I found an interview about AK on the BF blog where the BZ people specifically mentioned adding things that people would have to pay to access. I don't know why they never really went down that route. A package of quests full of adventures for a specific character might have been a money maker. But they would have had to price it right, offer several different character packages, and not made it available for only a short time.

Or how about charging for the special events? (But don't put opening up mini-scenes in them, talk about dumb ideas.)

Well, we can come up with tons of ideas, but it's not going to change a thing. BoomZap has left the building. They've been gone for quite a while, we just didn't notice.

GOBSTOPPERS
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by GOBSTOPPERS on May 23, 15 3:14 PM
well we obviously have difference of opinion here....

im sorry we cant see eye to eye...but i do hope eventually someone will update these games....whether its on pc,ipad,tablet,laptop or cellphone....!
so here to optimism!

apparently tiramasue YOU enjoy playing games on tiny screens....
to each their own.....!

i agree with ekstra.... when i go out i leave these games behind and enjoy LIVING!!!

there is plenty of money to be made here and in multiple ways...im sorry tiramasue...you cant see it... many others can.... and to me, its ok to not agree on every point!

different points of view... are neccessary!

take out the auctions.....

charge for the next update...

charge for "A package of quests full of adventures for a specific character might have been a money maker"

all great ideas.....

lets just hope BF,BZ and the future developers read these brilliant ideas....!!

Edited on 05/23/2015 at 3:23:51 PM PST

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 23, 15 3:31 PM
I don't play any games on a phone, don't even own a phone that I could play games on.

And I only play TWO games on my iPad. Haven't tried any HOPA's. Only bring the iPad to the dentist's s office, places like that. Took it to jury duty. Very few people toting laptops, a few more with tablets, but most of them were busy playing with their phones. And the jury pool wasn't filled with teenagers.

I own an ASUS ROG laptop. It weighs a ton. I don't move it anywhere I don't have to. But I'm NOT the average gamer and I'm not a member of the target market that developers are looking to. I'm old, I've got all the time in the world to play. They want the people who can't play 24/7, but who want to be at the top of the leader boards and be ahead of everybody else because THOSE people are the ones who will pay money to advance and not even think about it.

GOBSTOPPERS
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by GOBSTOPPERS on May 23, 15 3:37 PM
my laptop is an HP.... awesome device... and it doesnt weight much at all...... but it is indeed a newer laptop though....

interesting about being able to use your ipad in jury duty...!!
i personally didnt have to go... but we are NOT allowed in California...

i personally play 10 different FTP games .... i dont play 24/7 but do enjoy the variety of FTP games BF has to offer...!

thats awsesome.... im glad you enjoy playing the games you choose on the device of your own choice....

Edited on 05/23/2015 at 3:43:20 PM PST

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 23, 15 3:52 PM
GOBSTOPPERS wrote:my laptop is an HP.... awesome device... and it doesnt weight much at all...... but it is indeed a newer laptop though....

interesting about being able to use your ipad in jury duty...!!
i personally didnt have to go... but we are NOT allowed in California...

i personally play 10 different FTP games .... i dont play 24/7 but do enjoy the variety of FTP games BF has to offer...!

thats awsesome.... im glad you enjoy playing the games you choose on the device of your own choice....

I don't know about actual jury duty, I was just there for the selection process. I would imagine that if you get selected for a trial, then laptops, tablets, and smart phones are confiscated.

MY ASUS ROG is only 15 months old, but it is built to take a beating. But again, I'm not the target group a ROG is aimed at.

GOBSTOPPERS
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by GOBSTOPPERS on May 23, 15 3:57 PM
i understand.....i made sure when i purchased my laptop that i was able to "PORT" it ... a good friend also gave me a great packback type of carrier for it....it carries everything i need and i can go anywhere and enjoy it....

i do have a good online friend... her and her hubby take laptops to thailand on vacation with them every year....

its great to be able to enjoy all that BF has to offer on so many different devices!!!

and since this ENTIRE SUBJECT IS OFF THE TOPIC AT HAND..... and just to stay on topic....

it is TRUELY ASHAME AND A CRIME.... that BZ has chosen to shelf this game.....but i have enjoyed it and will continue to play it and help others. :

Edited on 05/23/2015 at 4:10:03 PM PST

ekstra2000
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,357 Posts

[Post New]by ekstra2000 on May 23, 15 5:44 PM
I have one other argument about the portable devices...and that's the battery life, which generally isn't all that great, even on a good laptop. (And mine is pretty good; it has to be since I use it for the little bit of freelancing I do.)
I think that ART was a wonderful game. I'd have liked to see more cities opened up, but there aren't really any horribly dangling story lines like the ones left in AK.
I'll admit it...I take my Nook to the beach if I don't have an actual paper and print book that I'm reading, or a puzzle book that's intriguing. I think the beach is a great place to read. But I see no need to take my phone everywhere for no reason other than to play games, or to take pictures of my food and "share" (perhaps someone can explain this phenomenon to me...I don't see any reason to look at photos of other people's food!), etc.
We really need to pick up our eyes once in a while and look around at something other than the screen in front of us!

Go to: