A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 05/25/2015 at 7:33:44 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Demon Archive: The Adventure of Derek here

[Post New]by 9otters on May 25, 15 1:59 AM

VERY "old school". Must click and drag inventory items to the proper place. Does not fill my computer screen. On the largest setting, the sides of the scenes were cut off. On the smallest settings, the inventory was cut off. No character animation when speaking--boxed "conversation" to read. No map. No hint beyond the obvious in the current scene.

Inventory "plus" items but no indicator. Had to guess that one belonged with the other and, gratefully, it worked. Standard list HOS with MINIMAL interaction. The puzzles I found were SIMPLE enough to need no instructions, which was good because the instructions were very vague for one of them.

No locking inventory. It does have a journal and reading it was the ONLY way to make sense of what was going on. Even still, it was a reach. Anyone with sight issues will need extra help due to the smallness of items to find in the regular scenes. Some of the HOS too.

Action response very slow. And, really, I just dislike getting something totally different for the inventory than anything I identified in a HOS.

All in all, too much effort for very little payback. This one is just not my cup of tea.

Edited on 05/25/2015 at 2:10:23 AM PST

dueler
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by dueler on May 25, 15 3:02 AM
Same as you 9otters, very old hat game, and the vocabulary is something to be desired!, I to couldn't stretch to full screen, found it hard going, drag from the inventory to where you want your item to go is so old, click in corner to go back, enough said, no buy for me.
PS noticed also only one punch this Monday, I know its a two for one day but if there is nothing you want/like (we had all weekend) to get the two punches that you need to fill your PCC, then you loose out as its the last Monday of the month and I don't expect you will get another chance this month.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on May 25, 15 6:25 AM
Agree with the reviews. Haven't played more then 10 minutes and stopped. Even with a sale and coupon a no buy.

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on May 25, 15 6:41 AM
10 minutes was pretty good going I'd say!!!
I think I managed 5 !
Didn't fit screen either, which is a complete no-no for me

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on May 25, 15 7:35 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Demon Archive: The Adventure of Derek here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Demon Archive: The Adventure of Derek.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on May 25, 15 12:35 PM

Demons, Derek, and Dark

Today is Memorial Day in the USA. For all who served in the armed forces I want to thank you for your service, as well as pass my heartfelt condolences to all whose loved ones were lost while serving.

Setting: 18th cent. France - except the newspapers are printed in English and the citizens speak with British and American accents. Count Anthony disappeared a week ago after going to see Priest Thomas about writing a book. The Count's 's sister Melissa has asked you, detective Derek, to find him.

The artwork is done in a two dimensional style, fairly flat and not too detailed. The palette is very dark, utilizing a lot of dark blues with an occasional brown.The voices are fairly good except that the accents do not fit the setting. The text shows on screen, but instead of "Continue..." it says "Skip" so I suggest not clicking if you want to hear everything. Music consists mostly of a four note sequence repeating over and over.

During the demo, there were a few simple picture puzzles to rearrange, and 2-3 other symbol puzzles which, while lacking clear instructions, were likewise very simple to solve. There were 4-5 HOs, some of which required mild interaction but otherwise were very straightforward. The dark palette adds some difficulty, but not much.

I am using Windows. Before the game opened, a window popped up where I could set the game's resolution, including a check box for Windowed play. I set the resolution to the maximum (1600 x 1200) and unchecked Windowed and the game played in full screen.

This game bears the hallmarks of a new developer. There are numerous misspellings (i.e., scissor and plier) and Melissa is sometimes rendered Merlissa. Also, using an object requires clicking and holding with the mouse. There is a journal but no map, and there is quite a bit of backtracking.

There are occult and religious themes explored by the story line. During the demo, a pentagram symbol is shown on the floor alongside a cross with a snake wrapped around it.

I found nothing that would compel me to purchase this game. The play is dated, the story is derivative and the quality is deficient.

ETA: there is no indicator for "plus" items and there are only 2 difficulty levels.

Edited on 05/25/2015 at 2:32:55 PM PST

maizijane
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by maizijane on May 25, 15 2:24 PM
I agree with all of the above. I regret using a credit on this one. Frustrating.

tattas
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by tattas on May 25, 15 4:23 PM
Has anyone figured out what to do with the lock in the dungeon; where to find the
A to complete the word hydra in the dungeon, how to unlock the chest on the upper floor; what to do with the figurine and the medusa mask. None of the things I have tried have directed me to any place that will accept any of those items. Also using the iron pole to pry up the broken floor does not work. Lastly but not least, what do you do with the golden wand. HELP! HELP! HELP!

alowan
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by alowan on May 25, 15 4:57 PM
Based on the demo:

I'm glad I read before downloading, as I was able to get full-screen with one click. (It's a square screen with black borders, not a wide screen.)

I enjoyed many things about this game. For one thing, some of the puzzles have a small difficulty that can be solved by a little experimenting, or maybe just intuition. This is new, and I like it.

I also very much enjoyed most of the garbled English! Some of it has a "Freudian Slip" aspect. One in particular had me falling off my chair.

I do find the lack of a map shocking; the jump map has been standard for at least a couple of years.

Yes, there were some small irritations. Having to drag items is at least consistent; the devs don't keep changing their minds.

Instead of the usual "+" in the inventory, they use a blue background - and I liked that. I found it easier to see.

I was annoyed by the inventory blocking the down arrow when I wanted to move, but then discovered that all I had to do was click anyplace in the scene, and it would drop down.

I really, really like the "back" button, and wish the devs had put it in every scene. In fact I wish all devs would do that. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to click on some object at the bottom of the screen and wound up going to the previous place. I have now started being very, very careful about anything at the bottom of the scene, which slows me down and frustrates me.

Oddly for me, I have spent a coupon on this game. I usually wouldn't on a game with these problems, but the fun factor outweighed it.

Now back to demoing all the CEs I have, to take advantage of the BOGO sale!

PS. It's Memorial Day here in the US. My gratitude goes out to those serving in our military, those who have served, and those who sacrificed their lives for us.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on May 25, 15 6:01 PM
I must be a sucker for punishment. I lasted almost 20 minutes before I threw in the towel. Ten years ago this might have had a chance, but I wouldn't waste a coupn on it. Just my opinion. The free download is just that, Free. What do you have to lose.

[Post New]by Silas_Nash on May 25, 15 7:23 PM
Old_Man_River wrote:Just my opinion. The free download is just that, Free. What do you have to lose?

One hour of your precious time, that you'll never get back.
Just my opinion.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 26, 15 9:43 AM
Hi all. Wow, what crypt did they pull this one out of? Graphics weren't too bad, but colors really had me put off in the beginning...a lot of pink and purple! Game play was extremely old school, in that I found that I could not leave a scene until all tasks had been completed. Now, that would be okay, if I had all the pieces I needed to complete it...I didn't. Example (not a spoiler): in the office/library, I needed one more book but couldn't find it in that room and needed to complete the puzzle on the wall, but needed one more piece - also could not find it in that room. Maybe I'm blind, but they just weren't there and I could not exit the room. Extremely maddening. Voice overs seemed appropriate for the time, place and character. Music seemed to turn off while in game mode, but would sneak in now and then. Very quiet and very few sound FX.

HOPS are extremely simple and items are very easy to spot. I did not care for the need to grab, hold and drag items when I needed to use or place them. The inventory bar does not lock in place and pops up and down every time you find something. Very annoying. You get a verse after each HOP. Now, I have no idea what part this plays in this game, since they don't seem to be a hint to something else and some didn't make sense to me, as far as the game was concerned. Puzzles were simple when you could find one. When a pop up scene is completed, it should either automatically disappear or you should be able to click outside the box to exit...this one, you had to click a back button. Been so long since I had seen one, that it took me a few seconds to find it. For those of you who may be jumpy at times, there is a click penalty of two ghostly hands that jump at you as if they are going to grab your neck...just sayin'. Some items in a scene are extremely small, e.g. accidentally opened a book and "found" scissors. Only reason I knew what they were is because the screen told me what I found. Just looked like a blob on the book, so I clicked on it.

Needless to say, after 17 minutes, most of which was in the library, I got out and deleted this game. I'm not even sure a beginner would find this one fun. Just too many things didn't work correctly, or flow at all. There are very few games that I do not recommend for one reason or another, but this is one that I just can't recommend for any level of player. No buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

yuczhen
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by yuczhen on May 28, 15 12:57 PM
I think it's unfair to judge a game if only try free chapter. After playing the next chapters, I knew this game is totally not easy, ok? Maybe some operations are frustrating, but if you played HOG before 1 or 2 years ago, you'll know it's common and maybe the game is designed at that moment? Anyway, it wouldn't affect the fun of searching things because it's hidden object adventure game, right?

celtic29
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by celtic29 on May 30, 15 12:32 AM
I think some designs might be not new, but there are something new and creative which are not found in other games. What I care is to play a HOPA like a searcher. No need for maps, clear hints or something else...It's quite personal and depends on one's habits...I would like to use my head more...haha

Laley61
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Laley61 on May 31, 15 12:28 AM
Too many issues with the game from the start until I deleted it. Very frustrating and not enjoyable as a game should be. Sorry I purchased it.

yuczhen
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by yuczhen on Jun 18, 15 1:25 AM

Edited on 06/19/2015 at 2:12:42 PM PST

[Post New]by Mysstyblue on Jun 18, 15 1:04 PM
Not really enjoying this game too much for most of the reasons already cited, but I am determined to finish it anyway. I am stuck in the cemetery. A tree blocks my path and I am short two jewels to open the Fleur de lis, and I cant seem to find anything else to use nor can I go back out of this place. Anyone have a tip for me? Thanks.

UPDATE: Never mind...I found my way out of the cemetary...DUH! But thanks anyway. {:>

Edited on 06/20/2015 at 3:39:15 PM PST

Go to: