reviews for game

 
petrinov
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

reviews for game

[Post New]by petrinov on May 28, 15 11:53 AM
Isn't there anyone out there who is bothering to review anymore? Certainly there must be people who have played through the demo by now?????

 
LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by LarkBea on May 28, 15 12:25 PM
Sadly, the forums have lost a lot of good reviewers. Suffice to say, reviewing isn't easy and it's impossible to write one that meets everyone's liking/expectations and when that happens, criticism isn't in short supply.

That said, there are some reviews on the game download page. I guess the best way to see if you personally will like this game (or any) is to download the demo and give it a try.

 
Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by Daxadillion on May 28, 15 1:40 PM
I just want to say that last week or the week before Reviews and Tech Issues did not appear on my screen at the usual time of 12.32am US time but many hours later.

I can't post the Reviews or Tech Issues threads until BFG opens the Forum. It's very annoying but we have all experienced computer glitches, so please forgive BFG for experiencing a computer glitch.

My review of the game was posted at approx 12 noon (UK time) but did not appear until a few hours later.

Dax

 

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by pondprowler on May 28, 15 2:45 PM
Daxadillion wrote:I just want to say that last week or the week before Reviews and Tech Issues did not appear on my screen at the usual time of 12.32am US time but many hours later.

I can't post the Reviews or Tech Issues threads until BFG opens the Forum. It's very annoying but we have all experienced computer glitches, so please forgive BFG for experiencing a computer glitch.

My review of the game was posted at approx 12 noon (UK time) but did not appear until a few hours later.

Dax


It doesn't matter what time anyone (doesn't have to be you) "posts" the review threads or when BFG opens the forums just a little late.
The POINT is that BFG's forums used to be very busy and LOTS of reviews were posted.
now not so much and its mostly (IMHO) because when people DO post reviews, they get attacked for saying they don't like pet helpers etc, SO they just give up and go away.
I mean look at today's forum for this game. It's THURSDAY... a CE release day! used to be the fourms would have tons of reviews by now (approx 12 hours after BFG opened the forum up) but today? there's only 3!!

Pretty much because of the bullying, many don't write reviews any more and have gone away to other sites to write their reviews. sites where they can say what they really feel without gettig yelled at or made fun of (like me when i wrote a couple reviews and was made fun of for my grammer and spelling).

 
shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by shorenuf on May 28, 15 4:54 PM
LarkBea wrote:Sadly, the forums have lost a lot of good reviewers. Suffice to say, reviewing isn't easy and it's impossible to write one that meets everyone's liking/expectations and when that happens, criticism isn't in short supply.

That said, there are some reviews on the game download page. I guess the best way to see if you personally will like this game (or any) is to download the demo and give it a try.


Many of the reviewers who used to post here regularly, myself included, stopped because of the way we were treated by management. It's a long story, and old news now, but it's the truth.

 
twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on May 28, 15 6:18 PM
I have to partially disagree with Pondprowler. I have been on several of those "other sites," and ran into some pretty nasty bullying directed towards myself. Here the mods try to handle it, on other sites it stays. I left several of those "other sites" because of it.

Some of the "good reviewers" (just what is a "good reviewer"? Any review is a "good review" to me!) may not be members anymore, and can't review the game until tomorrow. I may not be counted in the number of "good reviewers," but plan on reviewing it tomorrow. Or, they played a survey game and didn't like it, so why post a review? Or, more likely, they posted on the main page, where they can get voted up or down, perhaps feeding a need for acknowledgement for being a "good reviewer!" There are more reviews there than in the forums. Maybe that's the "in" place to be! I know games do better out there than here anyway. I mean, in the forums a game is panned, out "there" on the main page it will have 5 stars after 5 stars and "kudos" out the door.

 
GameLvr30
Stingray
Stingray
4,785 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by GameLvr30 on May 28, 15 8:05 PM
I see the problem more as the bullying that happens in general in these Forums. Too many times to even bother counting have I seen people harassed both in the Forums and in PMs just for expressing a different opinion than the "majority" that they end up not bothering to post again or even leaving the Forums completely.

Perhaps people would feel incentive to give their time and energy to writing reviews if they could also feel free to post whatever else they desired without fear of retaliation. The attitude that only one way of thinking about a subject is all that will be tolerated is what has driven tons of Forum users away. Unfortunately, many of the people who have left or choose to no longer post include the reviewers who were the most prolific and entertaining in the past.

I can't help but add my belief that if the Forum game pages continue to remain nearly inactive, like they've been the last few weeks, then I wouldn't be surprised if Big Fish gets rid of them. There is no point in devoting resources to something that doesn't bring in a profit and isn't being used by their customers any longer.

 
9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by 9otters on May 28, 15 10:10 PM
Just yesterday I heard back from someone that I sent a PM to last week. I complimented their oh-so-original game review. It just made me LAUGH. So good! They responded with utter surprise. Apparently, they didn't write many reviews any more due to the NEGATIVITY that they have experienced here, in the forums.

They personally knew of two others, who had been prolific posters, who had the same issues and so, no longer post. So, yes, there is definitely a problem.

I think the problem may be three-fold. Negativity is certainly one. I believe the other is tech issues. People are just not willing to be the "guinea pigs" for game issues. They wait to see how long the tech issues thread gets before committing to buying. They want a GAME, not a coupon for another game.

I cannot count the number of times I have read this here. I myself have been surprised at how many times I've had to contact customer service in the last two months. Consequently, I may try a demo, but I no longer buy a game unless issues are at a minimum for my operating system.

Number three...for me, as an avid gamer, the type of game I prefer has become stagnant. I think lots of people are in the boat with me. Not enough comes out that isn't the same thing over and over. It simply becomes boring, rarely seeing anything that doesn't follow the formula, games that provide no challenge, or favorite game lines passed off to Devs that don't do it justice.

Just my personal experience...




Edited on 05/28/2015 at 10:22:16 PM PST


 
angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 29, 15 2:48 AM
I haven't got round to trying the demo yet; I got sent a beta test that I have to play and comment on within 3 days, so need to get that done first! But I too was surprised at so few reviews,

But I think it's a combination of 'bullying' and the BFG management that have decimated the forums. Personally I've never has any 'nasty' PM's but have had some pretty rude comments directed my way in the forums. My answer to those was to respond as politely as possible and then never go back to that particular game forum again. If I don't see it, it can't bother me. I have however been subjected to some unnecessary 'moderating' by the 'forums police' (mods).

As for tech issues, I can honestly say I rarely have any and I always say so in my reviews. My desktop PC must be 8 or 9 years old now, although it's had some upgrades. I run Win7 Pro but even when I had Vista, I rarely had any tech issues. I do make sure the PC isn't cluttered up with junk and only keep about 30 games in the GM at any time. Maybe all that helps, maybe not. But my tech issues are minimal.

I completely agree with 9otters; 'the types of games I prefer have become stagnant' is absolutely right. Same old, no challenge games that are basically all the same. And the trend to pass on popular series to another developer should have been stopped in it's tracks when ERS took the wonderfully unique Azada and turned it into another one of their cookie-cutter games

 
LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by LarkBea on May 29, 15 3:58 AM
twinsoniclab's post pretty much sums up why a lot of people don't bother to review anymore. No matter what someone says, it can be twisted into something else to hold up for criticism or ridicule.

To answer her or him, to me, a good reviewer is anyone who takes the time and trouble to write about a game, providing some insight as to plot/storyline as well as game play. The few reviews we do have on this game here in the forums would qualify as "good" for me and I appreciate the brave ones who stuck their respective toes in the pond. My reviews would consist of "I liked/did not like the game". People got griped at for "spoilers" to the point the reviews became truncated to a few lines. People got griped at for liking a game or disliking a game. The "grammar police" stepped in to point out spelling/punctuation errors. Even something as simple as the choice of a word or words used in a review...sliced and diced. Instead of people simply appreciating that a review was written, it was torn to shreds. No wonder we see precious few of them anymore.

As far as BFG management goes, when Chit Chat Corner was wiped out, the writing was on the wall. GameLvr, in my opinion, is exactly right. These forums cost money to maintain and for every business everywhere, it's all about the bottom line. "Get Game Tips" in light gray is a far cry from how the forums used to be advertised. With less usage, it will become easier in the future to simply dispense with them. Maybe that won't be such a bad thing, in the long run.

Edited on 05/29/2015 at 4:36:50 AM PST


 
9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by 9otters on May 29, 15 4:39 AM

twinsoniclab said,

I mean, in the forums a game is panned, out "there" on the main page it will have 5 stars after 5 stars and "kudos" out the door.


This, too, is true...and WEIRD. Lol!

 
LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by LarkBea on May 29, 15 5:00 AM
Fact is, we computer gamers (this type of computer gamer, at least) are becoming extinct, at least in the opinion of a lot of game devs. A few years ago, I read some articles that said desktop computers are going the way of the Sony Betamax and will be phased out in favor of tablets. Most of the new, intriguing games are issued as apps for mobile phones or tablet computers. Even if you happen to have a touchscreen monitor, some games simply are not available as downloads for PCs/Macs.

In my opinion, there will always be a niche for desktops and laptops, maybe not in gaming, but certainly in the workplace. As far as downloadable, play at your own leisure gaming goes, not so much. One extremely popular game dev's CEO actually made the statement that single-player only games are going the way of the dodo and “Online is where the innovation, and the action, is at.” Blue Tea Games, one of my old favorites, merged with Eipix Entertainment for forward development of downloadable computer games and in the process (in my opinion), lost some of what made their games visually stunning with interesting storylines. According to their website, the company is devoting their time and talent to mobile free to play games.

Edited on 05/29/2015 at 5:33:12 AM PST


 
didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by didersham on May 29, 15 7:27 AM
I agree with the games coming out are not challenging and definitely cookie cutter games. If I happen to like a game, then there are tech issues!

 
bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by bribling on May 29, 15 4:18 PM
So, any Reviews for this game?

 
abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by abarrett on May 29, 15 10:16 PM
9otters wrote:
twinsoniclab said,

I mean, in the forums a game is panned, out "there" on the main page it will have 5 stars after 5 stars and "kudos" out the door.


This, too, is true...and WEIRD. Lol!


I think that I have even seen someone not like or recommend the game on the main page and still give it a 5 star review.

 
abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by abarrett on May 29, 15 10:34 PM
LarkBea wrote:Fact is, we computer gamers (this type of computer gamer, at least) are becoming extinct, at least in the opinion of a lot of game devs. A few years ago, I read some articles that said desktop computers are going the way of the Sony Betamax and will be phased out in favor of tablets. Most of the new, intriguing games are issued as apps for mobile phones or tablet computers. Even if you happen to have a touchscreen monitor, some games simply are not available as downloads for PCs/Macs.

In my opinion, there will always be a niche for desktops and laptops, maybe not in gaming, but certainly in the workplace. As far as downloadable, play at your own leisure gaming goes, not so much. One extremely popular game dev's CEO actually made the statement that single-player only games are going the way of the dodo and “Online is where the innovation, and the action, is at.” Blue Tea Games, one of my old favorites, merged with Eipix Entertainment for forward development of downloadable computer games and in the process (in my opinion), lost some of what made their games visually stunning with interesting storylines. According to their website, the company is devoting their time and talent to mobile free to play games.

This is all very interesting to me because I thought that the games that we play from BFG were online or downloadable games. For a while, I believe, middle-aged and older women were the highest demographic playing the type of games offered on BFG. Maybe the demographics and game type has changed. I do have a couple of games that I play on my phone, but they are of the marble popper type. I have tried to play a HOG on a mobile device, and it was nearly impossible to see anything. Playing online games such as League of Legends or Minecraft would also be difficult.

 
LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by LarkBea on May 30, 15 4:16 AM
abarrett, the online games (or ones requiring an internet connection to play, such as Midnight Castle, Big Fish Casino, and others), are the ones being most heavily promoted on BFG. "Free to play" is the big thing now, that or smart phone/tablet games that either cost money or are free, but ad-supported. Like Valdy, I think it has less to do with age but, in my opinion, more about availability of quality games. I play games on my smart phone and I'm in my 60's, Caucasian and live in farm country. My son, who is in his early 30's, hasn't had a desktop computer in a decade, doing all of his computing/streaming,etc on his smart phone or iPad. Games are played on a gaming system (PS4).

When BFG sold out to Churchill, that was another signal that there would be fewer selections for us. Churchill's focus is on free to play online gaming (aside from their other ventures). Here is a quote from an article in the Seattle Times after BFG's sale to Churchill was finalized.

"Big Fish and PopCap became phenomenal cash cows and twin pillars of the Seattle-centered casual game industry when it was dominated by downloadable games primarily played on computers.

With the rise of gaming on social networks, phones and tablets, the companies diversified their offerings and produced big hits on Apple devices. But their dominance faded as competition grew on the new platforms."


So we gamers who prefer to play on our computers for one price, not constantly being tempted to buy more coins, gems, cards, chips, etc., or refrain from playing games on social media, are sort of an afterthought and the quality of many of the games we are seeing (not all, certainly, but the dearth of truly great games that were around in abundance even 4 or 5 years ago) reflects that. There's really no incentive to develop something unique so we see "cookie cutters" of themes/gameplay that sold well enough in the past to justify churning out what amounts to essentially the same game, perhaps with different scenery and a slightly different plot element. From time to time, we're treated to a really cool game, but typically, it's from a new dev trying to establish themselves or a company that issues 3 or 4 interesting games, then goes radio silent (Shaman games, developer of Namariel Legends and Witch's Pranks, is one example).

Edit: And I agree with you, HOGs on a smart phone are nearly impossible for me. Not too bad on a tablet, but much much better on my computer monitor.

Edited on 05/30/2015 at 5:19:02 AM PST


 
oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by oldbag60 on May 30, 15 5:33 AM
I would be more than happy to review a game if I could find one that interested me to the point of caring. Far too many hogs, same old puzzles, not one developer, since BFG themselves, has come up with anything remotely close to challenging. Sorry but there it is. Don't be afraid of folk who slag you off because of your reviews, they're nothing and nobody. Keep posting if you enjoy, don't if you don't.

 
Nohrah
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by Nohrah on May 30, 15 5:52 AM
LarkBea wrote:twinsoniclab's post pretty much sums up why a lot of people don't bother to review anymore. No matter what someone says, it can be twisted into something else to hold up for criticism or ridicule.

To answer her or him, to me, a good reviewer is anyone who takes the time and trouble to write about a game, providing some insight as to plot/storyline as well as game play. The few reviews we do have on this game here in the forums would qualify as "good" for me and I appreciate the brave ones who stuck their respective toes in the pond. My reviews would consist of "I liked/did not like the game". People got griped at for "spoilers" to the point the reviews became truncated to a few lines. People got griped at for liking a game or disliking a game. The "grammar police" stepped in to point out spelling/punctuation errors. Even something as simple as the choice of a word or words used in a review...sliced and diced. Instead of people simply appreciating that a review was written, it was torn to shreds. No wonder we see precious few of them anymore.

You have expressed how I feel. I adore all that take time to post.

 

Re:reviews for game

[Post New]by toothfairypakin on May 30, 15 4:02 PM
Please, keep reviewing the games. I read them + base my decision to purchased on them! My all time favourites have apparently moved on + I really miss their inputs, however there are 2 who are snapping at their heels.

Played at least 2 to 3 games that were absolutely panned by the majority, called out dated, basic, no bells + whistles, but due to the reviewer[s] who stepped out of line + looked beyond the glitz + recommended the 'game' for the humour, complexity, + interest, I bought.. What finds. Laughed, pulled my hair out, ignored the cat-she did get feed + brushed, but so enjoyed myself.

You are being read + appreciated.

 
 
 
 
Go to: