A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 06/02/2015 at 6:22:43 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Contract with the Devil here

[Post New]by 9otters on Jun 2, 15 1:45 AM
Actually, this was a good idea that was totally hampered by the EXTREMELY confusing translation to the English language and UNRESPONSIVE game mechanics.

Its another "mirror portal" game, but it COULD have been good if not for the issues mentioned above. The 'Boggart" spoke in...boggart-speak, I guess. THAT was a tad annoying when trying to translate the written words so I just turned off the sound.

There is a "box" whose use I guessed at and, thankfully, I was right.

I cannot speak for the entire demo, as it was SO frustrating getting anything to happen that I just exited the game without finishing. I played 40 minutes and was done.

For those who are made of sterner stuff, there IS a journal but no map. The map wasn't really necessary but the journal definitely was. The font they chose did nothing to help the bad translation. By the time I was halfway to figuring out what was being "said", the writing either disappeared or went to the journal. So, yay journal!

The graphics for the surroundings and special effects were good. The atmosphere was creepy enough for a story about a contract with the devil.

Sadly, this is one on which I wouldn't even use a game coupon. Perhaps you will find it to be ok. The only way to tell is to try the demo.

Hope you find some fun today! Happy gaming.

Edited on 06/03/2015 at 2:38:54 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jun 2, 15 1:51 AM
Finding this game charming although it has a lot of flaws. The English is dire, and in some HOPs you won't know what it is your supposed to be looking for. A 'bundle' is a knot and something else I'd never heard of turned out to be a ball of wool.
The VO is in another language (don't know what it was, there is also a cute little guy who speaks who knows what, and isn't supposed to be a language, but sounds just like the VO :-)
The graphics are nice, no map but a diary. The sounds are creepy.
If you press the hint button (there's two modes of play so I chose sparkle free one) just to know what to do next it has to then be refilled. A pain when you don't know where you're supposed to be, and have to wait for it to take a step forward, wait for refill, then step forwards...
The puzzles are pretty simple and can be skipped (skip is in a bar on puzzle screen). Annoyingly you can't skip the things you have to build, and the help isn't much good so you have to work it out. Twice I thought game had glitched, but I'd not spotted a piece I needed which was cleverly hidden.
I used a PCV to buy it.
You'll love it or hate it. Give it the whole trial before making your minds up though, as it does get better!

Edited to say it's a very long game, and must say I'm really enjoying it. Glad I kept going as it gets better and better. It's a lot more entertaining than a lot of CEs of late!

Edited on 06/02/2015 at 8:12:56 AM PST

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Jun 2, 15 4:22 AM
I really really want to give this game a good go!

But I simply couldn't get beyond making the bug repellent. The 'recipe' mechanics just wouldn't work for me.

If anyone can help with that, I'll carry on.

(Loved the way the screen misted over if I over-clicked .. It made me feel 10 years younger! )

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jun 2, 15 6:19 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Contract with the Devil here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Contract with the Devil.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

puzzgamer1
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by puzzgamer1 on Jun 2, 15 7:19 AM
And apparently Another game not properly tested.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jun 2, 15 8:11 AM
arthurC wrote:I really really want to give this game a good go!

But I simply couldn't get beyond making the bug repellent. The 'recipe' mechanics just wouldn't work for me.

If anyone can help with that, I'll carry on.

(Loved the way the screen misted over if I over-clicked .. It made me feel 10 years younger! )

SPOILER!

You need to look very carefully at what's available. Once you've got your recipe you need all the ingredients. Then use your knife. All works fine but things you need are carefully hidden in the scene. I thought it had glitched, but I was doing things wrong.

Sheila155
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Sheila155 on Jun 2, 15 8:15 AM
Nothing new in the storyline--daughter taken through mirror to another world. Follow and save her. You need to fix the mirror first though, so a bit of work to do before you get there.
I played the full hour, and actually quite enjoyed the game with no technical issues at all.
I found the translation errors quite amusing, and not too difficult to decide on what was meant.
The game flows well, with little need for the the hint, and so far I haven't felt any need for a map. It's a fairly linear game, in that when you find something, you hopefully remember where you needed to use it. I have made it into the mirror world, and was just enjoying a nice puzzle in there when my time was up.
The HOS are lists with some interaction, and I also had to match related items in ones scene. That was fun.
Puzzles so far have been fun without being too challenging. Nothing really new, but some variations of familiar ones.
There are no extras like achievements or collectibles, but as a stand alone SE I think the Devs have done a pretty good job.
I think it's worthwhile giving it a decent go, and I have marked it as one to consider buying, or at least to use a PCC on

Foxy57
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by Foxy57 on Jun 2, 15 8:35 AM
puzzgamer1 wrote:And apparently Another game not properly tested.

I cannot agree more with you on this game. Was it ever tested at all ? Last time I looked, I could speak French and English, Russian is not part of my capacity.

Please BFG, do your homework before presenting us any game !

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jun 2, 15 8:59 AM
I tried to like this game. I really did try to like this game. I failed. If it had a map, or even a quicker filling hint, I might have purchased it. A click penalty in the hidden object game was the last straw. Great Graphics do not a good game make.
In short, Nice Graphics, Miserable translation to English speakers, and slow hint refill combined with no map and a click penalty made it a no buy for me.I was really looking for a game I could like to use a coupon on. Tired of buying card games and match three games just to use a free credit.

What a Good Game

[Post New]by themouse020 on Jun 2, 15 9:16 AM
I'm having a lot of fun with this one. Yes, the translation isn't good, but I consider it a minor difficulty. The artwork is lovely, and the concept was very well thought out. Each build and puzzle sequence is quite do-able, with no glitches, if you take your time and follow all the visual clues presented. I found no technical difficulties in 2 hours of play so far, and have only collected 2 of the demons, so this one will definitely be a good bang for the buck. I've gotten so sick of games that lead you by the hand every step of the way, that this is a refreshing change. No collectables, morphing things, jumping maps, just good gaming. It's nice to see puzzles that require a logical approach (they vary in difficulty, and some are too easy, but others present a nice challenge). Well done developers! Next time, get yourselves a good translator, and spring for alternate language audio, too. Here's hoping you sell enough of this one to make more possible in future....

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Jun 2, 15 12:07 PM
Great game! Windows 8.1 and no errors or glitches whatsoever! Graphics are great and it's another game that doesn't HOLD YOUR HAND! You gotta use your brain...I Love doing that! I find the conversations charming. Think of it as reading a book written using the vernacular of a quaint region of an imaginary European country. Oh..we don't like reading?! And we do not like too much talking either?? We would rather listen to an insane witch cackling (who used to be good, but turned bad and wants to take over and then we can use a hint, pick up three pieces of a "circular thing" and then stick it in a hole that matches the shape so we can pick up some more pieces and eventually do this enough and go through a few dozen portals make the bad witch turn good. Sigh..

I give this game

Abs

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jun 2, 15 12:31 PM
What a dreadful boring game.

When I saw the creature on the opening page I knew this was NOT going to be a good game.

Same old rehashed story of a creature coming through a mirror & taking someone. This time it's your daughter.

Graphics are old school paintings. Characters are wooden & lifeless. I turned the music/volume down so did not hear any of the VO. There is an awful lot of dialogue to read.

No custom setting option so the hint took f o r e v e r to fill. Most annoying was the fact that the hint button used all of its energy just to point you in the right direction & not even show you where something needed to be done. So you had to wait for the refill to continue unless you were able to figure something out on your own. Did not see an option for sparkles with the hint button.

Usual messy, cluttered HOS with some interaction. Puzzles were ok but nothing special.

Try the demo as you may like the game. For me I could only stand the game for a short while & then get out of the "contract" as quickly as I could.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Jun 2, 15 12:50 PM

Great comment, arthurC!

Unfortunately I can't comment on the game as it's only for PC at this point and I have a Mac...

b4nu
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

Give it a try

[Post New]by b4nu on Jun 2, 15 5:30 PM
I've been having some fun with it and I think it will be fairly long. The English is not really anywhere close to English, but not that big of a deal to me. I'm glad I didn't listen to all of the bad reviewers and gave the demo a shot. I think this game developer has quite a lot of potential. I always mute the games so I don't know if the music is as annoying as everyone else is saying.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 2, 15 11:03 PM
Old_Man_River wrote:I tried to like this game. I really did try to like this game. I failed. If it had a map, or even a quicker filling hint, I might have purchased it. A click penalty in the hidden object game was the last straw. Great Graphics do not a good game make.
In short, Nice Graphics, Miserable translation to English speakers, and slow hint refill combined with no map and a click penalty made it a no buy for me.

Apparently your character can understand Boggart-speak with no problem, but I had a problem deciphering the very weird English. "Barrued" for buried? Really? And "is" when it should've been "in"? Not sure if that was a mistranslation or a typo. Either way, it should not have been allowed to pass review, which I doubt was even done before BF offered it for sale.

I, too, wanted to like the game. I sort of liked the graphics, and the ambient sounds were appropriately spooky. I didn't like the way the story could be, at times, anywhere from illogical to downright inconceivable. I didn't like having a click penalty in the HOGs. I didn't like the way the game would stick every now and then and holding my breath waiting to see if it would lock up completely. Waiting forever for the hint to be refilled with every use was the last straw for me.

All in all, I was left feeling irritated and a little insulted that BF would expect us to pay full price for such a mess of negatives in a game. It seems some people are really liking "Contract With the Devil" though, so try it and decide for yourself.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jun 3, 15 7:17 AM
Tried playing the demo but got extremely frustrated. Right off the bat the first HOS had a click penalty...I DON'T DO click penalty anything. I find this time consuming and frustrating and the penalty was very quick, that and a very slow HINT refresh which has to refresh even when being used to transport through the game. I didn't see a map at this point...maybe hidden or picked up later? The journal appeared to be fairly worthless.

I found the game very clumsy and slow moving. The "helper" didn't speak English and I found all the dialog annoying. All this made me exit the demo more quickly than I usually do. I like to give a game a fighting chance, but this was just too annoying to waste my time on. However, the animations were pretty impressive...but that's about it. Even on sale, I wouldn't waste my money fighting my way through this.

deejae101
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by deejae101 on Jun 3, 15 9:17 AM
I actually thought this was a great little game. Sure, there's a few issues like the poor English and slow hint charge, but I didn't find that to cause any problems for me. The game play, story line and great graphics were enough to make up for it. This game is a far sight better than most of the recent offerings that are not SE or CE games. And it had a good length to it as well.

Coachswife
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Coachswife on Jun 3, 15 10:51 AM
bought with a coupon that was to expire soon without trying demo and now I'm regretting it. Hint way to slow, took forever to make bug repellant ( had to use hint to find out what to do), recipe was of no use

nivlem007
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by nivlem007 on Jun 3, 15 11:48 AM
I tried the demo and found it played well I did not have the sound on so I do not know what they are saying. I was doing fairly well but had to wait an age for the hint to refill and if you want to know which way to go it uses the hint up where other games do not. I got to the place where you put the devil/imp or whatever he is called and found I could not get out of that area no matter how I tried, so like a lot of the others I have given up and it is definitely not a buy for me. Shame, could be a good game, but as I have mentioned many times to the Customer Services - they should play the games themselves before putting them on the market unless they are going to rewards us for the testing as we seem to be the guinea pigs doing their JOB.....

Go to: