Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Surface: Alone in the Mist Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jun 4, 15 12:50 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 06/04/2015 at 6:13:15 AM PST

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Surface: Alone in the Mist Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by greenshade on Jun 4, 15 5:37 AM
Just submitted by review to be posted with the game. I was led to believe this was going to be a really creepy game with that creepy orphan but once I entered the orphanage it lost it's creepiness..... became almost child play.

Very short game for me, too as the puzzles were super easy as were the HOs and mini games. completed game plus bonus in approx. 4 hrs.

Glad I didn't pay full price. Oh well, my 12 yr old grandkids might enjoy.

disappointed in Cinci

Edited on 06/04/2015 at 5:37:59 AM PST

saadia60
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Surface: Alone in the Mist Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by saadia60 on Jun 4, 15 5:41 AM
Extremely easy game. Needs very little brain power to do. Absolutely not challenging. No buy.

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jun 4, 15 6:12 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Surface: Alone in the Mist Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Surface: Alone in the Mist Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jun 4, 15 10:21 AM
Not sure about this game. The town or small city is set in Nevada, and I bet the developers haven't a clue about its topography, which is a lot of desert and mountains. The interiors of the house which Carol lives in with her parents is wallpapered with extremely dark material, and so is the cafe which Carol's mother owns (dark wallpaper in a cafe??). A more unwelcoming cafe or home I've rarely seen. While there are computers in the game, a boy at the orphanage looks to be wearing knee pants of all things. There are also tools, which after being used then disappear, just before we could have used them again, but for some reason we now have to find a different tool. We also have adult women doing children's voices, something I really hate. Why, other than the collectible flowers, this has anything at all to do with the Surface series is barely hinted at in the demo, and having let it run to its end, I still have no idea what Surface has to do with the story, and I've played all the prior Surface games. Also, when I went to see what collecting the flowers would earn me, I ended up trapped, the back button wouldn't work, and I had to exit the game, then go back in. I didn't check the flower thing again for fear of the same thing happening. I also found that sometimes there was a slight delay in the game responding to clicks. This is not something I experience with my new computer, so I assume there is a glitch in the game somewhere. The story is interesting, and I was curious as to what was coming, but as the other reviewers have said, the actions/HOPs/mini-games are pretty simple and relatively obvious, and while there is a lot of trekking back forth, including bringing a ladder, apparently on a motorcycle, a good distance (?), by the time I got into the orphanage, I was losing patience. The demo ended just at the point where I might have found some renewed interest in the game, so I'm really on the fence. Since the flowers are the only collectibles, and no one has yet said what they're there for this time, I'm wondering if the SE might be a good value. Will watch other reviews.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jun 5, 15 12:30 AM
I'll be odd man out here. I'm enjoying this game and findinding it interesting and fun. When I want "hard nut to crack" games, I play pure adventure. When I play HOS, I want them fun, without fairies, dragons, goblins,and if possible, no cute animal helpers. Something extra to look for in each scene (in this case flowers ), a variety of HOS, great graphics, and sound that fits the scenes. Check, check and check! Plus, the code for yesterday worked and the game was $6.99, not $13.99. Great deal

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Jun 5, 15 5:31 AM
Based On Completed Game

I was fooled by a couple of different takes on HOGs and an interesting, not-done-a-million-times puzzle in the demo. I also THOUGHT, by the way it started, that it was going to be good and creepy. The cut-scenes were well done, slowly unfolding the story bit by bit. Yes, I had "demo joy".

After the demo, gameplay turned out to be typical, been there done that. We are reduced to collecting the same things we usually do...taking them here...putting them there. The story wasn't as creepy as the demo led me to believe either.

There are four levels of difficulty. I like to play the "custom" level with no hints, sparkles, or skipping of puzzles. I never had to look at the strategy guide. I'm familiar with the Surface games and the red, silver, & gold collectible flowers. The gold are the hardest to spot...if you don't know where they can ALWAYS be found. Because the action was mostly contained in two to four areas, and because there are only two or three things to do in each area, I didn't use the map. If you like a map, it is the standard "jump" variety.

Puzzles/mini-games required little thought so most of the time the instructions weren't even necessary. The graphics were what we expect from this Dev. Voice-overs were OK. Music was OK. There were two "helpers", used logically and briefly.

I cannot tell you about the bonus game. Because this review is supposed to be about MY game experience, I will say that it was cut short in the very first scene due to a tech issue, which I listed in the tech issues thread. I did not try to "work around" it because my days of accepting inferior merchandise are long gone. I do have to say that I thought this game was short, IMO, and the story ended rather abruptly.

There is the usual assortment of CE bonus content, achievements, etc. The collectible flowers unlock a "secret room" where some of the puzzles and HOGs can be replayed on a "time and accuracy" basis.

If you are looking for a VERY simple game with acceptable graphics, I would recommend the SE version of this game. Even with the flower collectibles, the bonus content seems a bit slim. Plus, I think the hint button and map will take you where you need to go.

Finally, I would suggest you play the demo. My idea of fun may be very different from yours and, ultimately, you will be the judge. Hope you find some fun today! Happy gaming!

Edited on 06/05/2015 at 4:38:26 PM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jun 5, 15 3:25 PM
I have enjoyed all the Surface games, although some more than others - the first one, I believe, is the best. This was also enjoyable. It wasn't terribly difficult, it was just right for some relaxing and fun game play. I liked the story line and the graphics. The looks of some of the characters was a bit odd, but never mind. Then, I got to the bonus game. Thought it was silly, illogical and boring. It added nothing to the main game which is good all by itself. When I finished it, after skipping some puzzles that I hate (but that's a personal preference), I found the Secret Room.

I should have waited for the SE to come out because it would have been perfectly acceptable and enjoyable. The CE, IMO, is a waste.

Main game:
Bonus game and Secret Room:

[Post New]by jilouise1123 on Jun 5, 15 4:57 PM
First time submitting a review. This is the type of game I like. Creepy and some surprises along the way. I was sorry to see it end. Definitely and must buy!

Jaguar2357
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by Jaguar2357 on Jun 5, 15 5:23 PM
I just tried it, and found the music, the whole coloring and more more horror than adventure. Within limits, I tolerate that somewhat, but this had me totally turned off in the first 10 minutes. And where is there any hint of going to another world?

No buy for me, the series has lost all the factors that made me like it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 6, 15 2:47 AM
I only played the demo:

- I liked Carol's voice, which sounded normal, but those of the kids I heard, they were screeching. Very unnatural, and not pleasant to listen to.

- The puzzles and mini games I have come across (STDs among them) were fun so far.

- I didn't care for the map, because it didn't show where immediate actions were available, but showed all tasks at the same time.

--- --- ---

I quite liked the demo even though the graphics appeared a little rough once I stepped outside of the house. However, I won't buy the game because I am really tired of games that play in an orphanage (have been there too many times), with yet another sinister girl haunting the place.

Also, even though I did like what I have played so far, I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement. And frankly, finding one of those flowers in each scene is beginning to be a huge yawn.

One thing is for sure: When it comes to gameplay and excitement, this game is miles behind Eipix's "Game of Gods" game, which is my favourite game in the series.

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Jun 6, 15 9:43 AM
Thanks to the reviewers - especially 9otters and twinsoniclab - I don't have to repeat details that have been given yet.
So I can focus on some impressions, very fresh ones since I've just finished main and bonus game.

Oh, Elephant.... I hardly recognize you anymore. Where to begin?

1. Your lates games have been much too easy. Where have all the bells and whistles gone? Why have you lost your special abilities to make me think - like you did back in the good old days of Surface: The Noise or MT: Raincliff?
2. I don't remember one of your games being so uninspired, so full of wasted opportunities, badly executed ideas.... and so short! Took me little more than three hours, including the bonus chapter! (And NO, I did not rush through it)
3. I'm done forever with dragons, parallel worlds I have to enter through mirrors, runes, druids, potions and fairies. So thank you, Elephant, for settings that resemble the real world. But: This game seems like a collection of unfinished or rejected fragments, melted together too fast and without any convincing ideas about what story to tell.
4. And before I forget it: Of course the secret room isn't working...again. This time I've collected more than 140 flowers and all I get is a bundle of black silhouettes and nothing to do.

Rant over.

tomboy4
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by tomboy4 on Jun 9, 15 4:58 PM
Well, I bought the Collector's edition without playing first based on previous Surface games. I'm very disappointed. The artwork is a big turn off. The "pinkish" colors are garish and the lack of detail in the set pieces are flat!

The main game was poorly written (sort of scraping the bottom of the barrel). The bonus game was so boring that I didn't finish it. Please get some new writers...really getting tired of the same old thing....frequent game players know what I mean. The art work is about a 4 out of 10.

Have mercy on us Big Fish game players....Thank you

Susanna2
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Susanna2 on Jun 25, 15 1:20 PM
Minority review.....

I liked this game of the surface series very much. I liked the graphics, the scenery, the story line, the hogs which were no pile junks but fitted into the story.

Yes it was again some "bruuhaahaa phantom" in it and the story is not new, about vanishing people and a strange force kidnapping them, but I think it was neatly made and well done.
I did not manage to catch all the flowers and I would love if one had the chance to find them later but it was never like this in the surface games.
"The Soaring City" was my favorite game of these series, but I liked this much more than "The Pantheon" or "Reel Life".
Yes, it was quite short and not too challenging, but if I like a game I just wander about and around and I don't care and I don't hurry.
I enjoyed it!

[Post New]by bsneely on Aug 4, 15 11:58 AM
I really like this game ... contrary to most of the posts. I have to admit that I don't often play these kind of games. To me, it was interesting. If a game is too hard, i get too flustered and usually quit it.

I play games to relax and get a diversion of sorts. This game works for that.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Oct 9, 15 10:14 AM
I agree that this is an easy game and that the SE will be worth the wait. That being said, I the game! There is something to be said for an uncomplicated, relaxing game. I didn't find it at all boring or "too easy". I highly recommend the game for those who play to relax, but perhaps wait for the SE.

Go to: